PDA

View Full Version : The Assassin's Creed Cities Elimination Game, Round V [AC4/ FC]

frodrigues55
04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Hello again, guys!

Round IV ended without much competition - the winner, by far, is not a city, but the Frontier map from AC3. Not even the two main cities combined gathered enough votes to dethrone it! Here's the results:

Frontier - 16 votes
New York - 6 votes
Boston - 5 votes
Davenport Homestead - 3 votes
New Orleans - 2 votes
Naval Locations/Westpoint - No votes
The Bayou - No votes
Chichen Itza - No votes

For Round V, we are moving to Black Flag and Freedom Cry. Black Flag has too many locations and I didn't want to leave people without the optiion of their favorites, so check the groups out to see where your favorite location lies.

Havana
http://i58.tinypic.com/xn9qhj.jpg

Kingston
http://i61.tinypic.com/2cysm5y.jpg

Nassau
http://i61.tinypic.com/li5jl.jpg

Other Locations (Includes all islands, other cities, forts and underwater from both AC4 and Freedom Cry)
http://i57.tinypic.com/iwr6nd.jpg

Cariben Sea (Includes the sea - boarding, naval contracts and harpooning - and nothing else)
http://i58.tinypic.com/24q5lht.jpg

Port Au Prince
http://i57.tinypic.com/11qmy3s.jpg

frodrigues55
04-25-2014, 12:24 PM
OK - first of all, AC4's maps are all absolutely perfection in my book. There's no weird filter washing everything out and all of them have obvious differences which sets them apart,

I love the minor locations (apart from the annoying empty islands). The entire world is breathe taking - the fisherman villages are immersive as hell.

The forests are simply beautiful and even have some alternative paths for you to enjoy - plus, the stealth sequences within forests and Charlestown are incomparabale.

I simply cannot praise them enough.

However, I have to give it to Havana. Hands down one of my favorites cities in the entire cities. Colorful, alive, dense, beatiful... It's not small but also not too huge, which makes it fun to explore. So my vote goes to Havana!

GunnerGalactico
04-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Havana is also my favourite city ;)

Wolfmeister1010
04-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Nassau: A fun town that is nice to visit every once in a while. The market and fort are pretty fun to explore. But that is it. Other than that, Nassau is a pretty forgettable location. Nothing "chaotic" about it.

Kingston: Absolutely breathtaking location. The first "colonial" styled city in AC that actually felt good to explore and free run in. That windmill viewpoint is awesome. Also love all the indoor locations, like the tavern, mansion, and prison.

Havana: Beautiful location, very AC2 like, amazing music, breathtaking atmosphere. However, too small for my tastes and didn't feel as "grand" as the AC1/2 cities.

I'm gonna go with Havana, just because I LOVE the european styled architecture and atmosphere.

Port Au Prince basically sucks in every possible way lol, except for the plantation. The architecture is boring/lazy version of Kingston, pathways to the three sections of the town are separated by immersion obliterating narrow forest tunnels, even the dynamic encounters are not enough to make me want to revisit this location.

Aphex_Tim
04-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Kind of a no-brainer, really. While AC4's world is great overall, Havana is simply the most fun city to play around in.

jdowny
04-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Given my strong feelings about AC III and IV's player navigation (being bad), neither Havana or Kingston were very appealing for me. They looked incredible and I appreciated the detail, but exploring them just didn't feel as fun as pre AC III cities - guards keep yelling at me to get down and I always find my character jumps to places I don't want him to go, not to mention the snipers in AC IV.

For this reason, my vote goes to the Islands and Other locations. I absolutely loved the freedom of movement of AC IV, which allowed the player to drop anchor anywhere they like and explore. And unlike AC III's Frontier, I felt the West Indies was crammed with things to do and see. It was truly breathtaking.

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Kinda tied between Kingston and Havana.

Kingston was my father's birth town so it was nice to have an idea of what it was like back then, including the history (if it's historically accurate lol), but I'm not going to be biased and vote on that just because lol.

It's a close second so I will have to say Havana for this one.

Locopells
04-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Ooh, close one. I like Havana best out of the actual cities, but mainly because it reminds me of what's gone before, and is the best for traditional AC parkour. I voted the Caribbean Sea however, as it's the most unique, and we're unlikely to get anything like that again...

SixKeys
04-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Voted "other locations" but really my vote would go to Great Inagua alone. I wish that was a separate option on the poll. It's one of my all-time favorite locations in AC. I love walking through the entire jungle, watching day turn into night and how that effects the lighting and sounds. (At night all you'll hear is crickets.) IMO it's a great mini-version of everything that makes AC locations great. It has some Mayan ruins for mysticism, that gorgeous waterfall, an abandoned jungle village and a little town busting with life. Try hiding in some bushes and wait for a rainstorm to hit. You'll get some amazing screenshots.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/JessKat/AssassinrsquosCreedregIVBlackFlagtradeDeluxeEditio n2013-11-24-5-6-43_zpsa71054e9.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/JessKat/AssassinrsquosCreedregIVBlackFlagtradeDeluxeEditio n2013-11-24-4-59-11_zps2e0ae600.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/JessKat/AssassinrsquosCreedregIVBlackFlagtradeDeluxeEditio n2013-11-24-4-44-20_zpsb55de41a.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/JessKat/AssassinrsquosCreedregIVBlackFlagtradeDeluxeEditio n2013-11-24-5-15-44_zps219f7c23.jpg

Bojanglesz
04-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Hardest one to vote for, but my vote went to Kingston in the end, would have gone for Tulum as I do think that in itself is a city. Kingston was the one city in the game that I was looking forward to explore, from Port Royal over the bay, to the mansion in the North. I think it flowed the best when free-running out of all the cities in the game and it was a real pleasure to mess about with, also climbing the windmill and the church in the middle was a great challenge (I say challenge, climbing in AC now isn't hard to do at all)

The minor locations do deserve a shoutout as they made the game so much more fun and engaging, from the diving challenges to exploring the ruins around Misteriosa, Tulum and Pinos Isle.

pirate1802
04-25-2014, 04:21 PM
La Habana. I found myself running around there doing nothing for hours, it was that much fun for me. Visually it looked stunning too, like Florence and Constantinople had hot sex and Havana was produced. Apart from that, I really liked those small fishing villages in the middle of nowhere. Getting down from your ship, roaming among the people, watch a dog walk by, a drunkard roll around.. the feeling is simply too awesome to be described. Surrounded by sea, those little islands would be my second choice after Havana.

oliacr
04-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Havana or Kingston as a city, Caribbean Sea and other locations. Tough one again, may decide a bit later.

Kaschra
04-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Tough choice. I basically like all places in AC4. The Caribbean is simply breathtaking and beautiful.
But... yeah, I think I'll vote for Havana.

Assassin_M
04-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Havana and Kingston were beautiful but sadly (probably due to whining) the devs went back to the ridiculous groups of four people walking chucked together. It looked jarring and a step back from AC III's system that allowed the crowds to look more organic and less artificial because of course as we all know, anything AC II is awesome...including an ugly blanket of weird lines and colors that indicate blending.

Nassau should have been more akin to the Pirate encampment in the E3 demo.

The Ocean is beautiful and breathtaking but beware swimming...the ocean shaders were not made for swimming.

I'd probably vote for one of the jungles...those were so well done with Port Au Prince being second for the random quests

Shahkulu101
04-25-2014, 07:40 PM
La Habana - no contest. Just a lovely little place to be. A beautifully crafted Parkour haven - and a fair few impressive locations. So bright and cheerful and I loved the archeticture to bits, also loved the Spanish theme that was present especially the amazing ambient music.The size I thought was juuuussst right.

SixKeys
04-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Havana and Kingston were beautiful but sadly (probably due to whining) the devs went back to the ridiculous groups of four people walking chucked together. It looked jarring and a step back from AC III's system that allowed the crowds to look more organic and less artificial because of course as we all know, anything AC II is awesome...including an ugly blanket of weird lines and colors that indicate blending.

I agree that the AC4 system wasn't ideal, but I doubt they went back to it because of whining. More likely it's because the AC3 system was too unreliable and didn't work very well. Hopefully we'll see a more refined version in Unity.

oliacr
04-25-2014, 09:45 PM
I placed my vote on the Caribbean Sea. I've taken countless screenshots from there like sunsets and it is very beautiful and breathtaking. 2 "frontier" type maps in a row for my first vote hence I hope Unity will include one more.

Assassin_M
04-25-2014, 09:53 PM
I agree that the AC4 system wasn't ideal, but I doubt they went back to it because of whining. More likely it's because the AC3 system was too unreliable and didn't work very well. Hopefully we'll see a more refined version in Unity.
I'd say it's because of whining. if you've seen what i'v seen on YT and FB, you'd know...people crying because of a friggin cape...they wanted a cape and others crying for AC II's blending system.

I don't see how it was unreliable, if it's the detection you're referring to then it's really not that system, it's the guard AI. you're probably referring to problems you had in your game, which I did not encounter at all and how does returning to the ugly blanket of immersion breaking animusy lines mean that the circle above head and blending sound were unreliable? are people really that dumb, they don't know when they're blended?

Jexx21
04-25-2014, 10:06 PM
The main cities were lackluster and plain boring. Vote goes to other locations.

ACfan443
04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
La Habana. I found myself running around there doing nothing for hours, it was that much fun for me. Visually it looked stunning too, like Florence and Constantinople had hot sex and Havana was produced.

What a beautifully descriptive (and strangely apt) sentiment. I fully agree.

One thing that irked me about Havana though was the size, I wish the city was just a little bigger.

Ureh
04-26-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm playing this on the ps3 and Havana probably strikes me as the most "exotic". Kingston has really nice backdrop of mountains and seemed to provide the smoothest freerunning (it's almost possible to cross the entire city without touching the ground!). Its architecture gave me fond memories of Boston & NY. The ruins and islands were awe-inspiring as well (Isla Providencia, Tulum, Great Inagua and Mysteriosa come to mind). It was really hard to decide but my vote will go to Havana.

However the cities of AC4 also have some of the most notable flaws in the series (maybe it's cause I have the ps3 version). NPCs pop out of nowhere in a Star Trek fashion. Sometimes weather shifts back and fourth in a blink of an eye (ex: sunny weather instantly turns to dark, stormy then immediately shifts back to sunny!). Not enough guards to go on a spree (made worse when the drunks/dancers try to "help" you if you buy the Inagua upgrades). Cities are kinda small. They went a step back with some of the blending/hiding spots (the ones in AC3 were contextual... fishing spots, leaning on walls, sitting on boxes or the ground, etc). Night cycles were some lackluster compared to previous games... the city lights didn't stand out as much and the moonlight didn't really bounce off the rooftops (but this could have something to do with the devs trying to convey how it looks in real life instead of romanticizing it).
These are all just from a first impression though. Things could change when I start my 2nd playthrough.

Megas_Doux
04-26-2014, 04:07 PM
I voted for "other locations" , I just freeroaming in AC IV!!!!!!!

La Habana is good looking, however I find a little foo small and underused! Kingston was a good surprise, before I actually had the chance to play the game, it was not pretty fond of it, but i ended up being a better done version of Lexington/Concord. Nassau was a HUGE letdown, nothing out of the "pirate haven" we were told, a shame :(

yankeegamergirl
04-26-2014, 04:27 PM
From what I've seen so far, Havana

lothario-da-be
04-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Voted for other locations, but am I the only one who likes Kingston more then Havana? I love that city, sad its so small. The overall vibe of Kingston feels right. Havana was cool too, but I never realy got that "connection" with it.

oliacr
04-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Voted for other locations, but am I the only one who likes Kingston more then Havana? I love that city, sad its so small. The overall vibe of Kingston feels right. Havana was cool too, but I never realy got that "connection" with it.

I thought Kingston was the biggest of the three cities.

Wolfmeister1010
04-26-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm playing this on the ps3 and Havana probably strikes me as the most "exotic". Kingston has really nice backdrop of mountains and seemed to provide the smoothest freerunning (it's almost possible to cross the entire city without touching the ground!).
This is something I noticed the city design folk did an AMAZING job at in this game. Even in Nassau, a city that has less architecture than boston, you can travel across it it without touching the ground. It is amazing! Boston and NewYork were kinda badly designed in my opinion..but damn the AC4 cities were seriously well designed with parkour in mind.

Glad to see someone else appreciating this little detail!!

Wolfmeister1010
04-26-2014, 05:32 PM

Havana was so underused in the story, that is probably why. I kinda agree. Also, Kingston is the largest of the three cities!

DumbGamerTag94
04-26-2014, 06:44 PM
I voted for other locations. The amount of detail in the random exploitable islands, buried treasure, wildlife, Myan ruins in places like the Assassins headquarters, smugglers coves and caves/shipwrecks in the depths of the ocean, thick jungles, white sandy beaches, fishing villages, I loved every second of it. It felt increadiby immersive, and really brought out some of the best

inferno33222
04-27-2014, 03:29 AM
I really wanted to vote for the Caribbean, but Havana is just such a classic and fun city! I love to free-run around it and it's so colorful and exotic. They really nailed it with Havana, it's probably my favorite city. But Caribbean is such a close second, it's so fresh and amazing and just tons of fun. Congrats Ubi, Black Flag was just so good!

frodrigues55
04-27-2014, 12:43 PM
I forgot to mention, there's a particular piece of music that plays in Havana that is so gorgeous - that is just another reason why I went for it!

Sushiglutton
04-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Voted "Others" as I think the mixture of naval and onland gameplay is what really stands out in the game. The sandbanks were kind of crappy, but I liked most of the ruiins, the forts and so on.