PDA

View Full Version : Extremely disappointed with the writing of AC and where the series headed to

xdj1nn
04-23-2014, 06:27 PM
So, I've finally finished AC4 and I am GLAD that I DON'T OWN IT.

After purchasing AC3 by pre-order or right on release(can't quite remember) and finishing it I've found myself extremely disappointed towards Ubisoft, towards it's Game Designers and specially towards the writers. That huge disappointment lead me to simply ignore any and all AC games and DLCs that came after AC3 and it lasted for some months, because the addiction imprinted on me from AC AC2 and AC2's sequels were STRONG, so I've instead of purchasing the game(which is extremely expensive given the circumstances in which the game came out; Same engine; Same Gameplay; Same bad polishing; Same screwed up story) I've simply borrowed it when I had the chance from a friend. And I feel like I'm in the right of doing so specially because I own all games but AC4 anyway.

So well, played through, found Kenway lineage to be the most uninteresting, while it was fun to play as Edward he wasn't an assassin, it felt like they've forced AC plot into some random pirate universe where nothing made any sense. The ending of AC3 made me feel like I've wasted money and time in AC1 2 BH Revelations and AC3 as well, while AC4 made me feel absente of emotion through and through(I've felt more emotional connection with Connor as it is even thinking he was the worst developed character in all AC games) it cleared out that Ubisoft's only aiming for money, the true pirates of the "Canadian" hahaha

Anyway, for those who like me played AC 1 back in the day, well, AC was supposed to end with Desmond playing a big part in Modern Day Era, meaning, a Modern Day AC game where you would need to be as awesome as Ezio and Altair, that's what AC3 should've being about, but then again they've decided to do the most terrible option of making another "Animus game" where u play as Connor, The Uninteresting / The Poorly-Designed. And they kill Desmond out of no where killing the Major story build up of all AC games.

After killing Desmond they decide to make some random FP out-of-animus thing that if not only feels like an excuse to keep the franchises name, where nothing is actually AC related if you aim the main story Arch from previous games.

Not satisfied with that the writer decided to kill the fact that Ezio was Altair's descendant with some ridiculous in-game note in AC4. After that the writer states that the inheritance of their special abilities was actually common to every men, which also killed the reason why Desmond was important, not only that, but killed the logically placed Auditore family on Montereggione where MAGICALLY all of Altairs life work was placed, even the armor he created, that was indestructible but somehow was destroyed in the most ******ed way possible, a Beam falls over it and BANG it's gone forever(that was the first mistake in the series tbh).

And so on and so forth, I won't review the whole story, but I'll shorten it:

Ezio was made as Altair's bloodline at first, but they've suddenly changed it, so they could widen up using Desmond as an excuse to keep making AC games, not sure if after or before the making of AC3, but it doesn't matter, since AC3's characters were very poorly designed. After that following Kenway's lineage was OK, I mean, I would've gone with it IF AC3 was made a Modern Day Game and after some random event Desmond had to go back to the animus to learn about the Kenway's or learn about something that the Kenway's came across or whatever, but only after putting all his training to use, I mean, THA WAS MANDATORY through the way the story was written it forcefully lead to making at least one modern day scenario game. Anyway, they've screwed up and went for kenway's lineage with Desmond dead, meaning that everything after AC3 has already an weakened story, the plot is poor very very poor, it's all about the aftermath, that kind of aftermath when those who played with Action Figures as a kid like me would stop playing and go do something else because it was getting old and repetitive where there was no more sense in the plot and u found yourself bashing toys for no reason.

And that's the best way to put it, AC games became Assassin's games where nothing has any sense, the Juno mambo jambo is really idiotic if not ******ed, it also switched from a Theological Science Fiction pioneer into a Terminator Science Fiction cliché with one game, what's worst is that Altair's role, which was the most important up til AC3 became pointless, they've basically erased the character because Ezio's the one who made the series famous, and yet, Altair's the main character all-and-all in the end, by killing the fact Ezio and Altair were related it also faded Altair into oblivion, and it'll be really hard to come back from this kind of plot destruction.

Now about to discuss Edward's role: Edward's role, to the assassin's was bluntly non-existent, he was so unimportant that they've even eastern egged that through "Abstergo's" videos, but to add any kind of spice to this rotten soup, they've made up that "OBSERVATORY" thing that is really out of place with the logic behind AC's series. But then again, whatever...

Ubisoft's greed also made me nauseous, they've started striving for money so hard that they are selling incomplete copies of their games only to force u to pay for DLCs later or purchasing the full game for 150% of the price of any triple A, it's like a bad joke all and all, it's exactly what made me hate EA years ago and lead me to not buy any of EA's games ever again, and Ubisoft has managed to go the same path, no wonder if they become as hated as EA in time.

My conclusion, unfortunately, is that this series was killed and that I would be a fool to purchase any of Ubisofts games from now on, their new greed pattern plus their bad decisions with AC series have stated to me that they make bad quality products, and so as a costumer I find myself cheated and offended, not only that but also robbed from both entertainment and money given I've paid for all games up til AC3 only to find the plot to be broken, the story of AC was changed on the fly, instead of finished in the games. As a film-maker and a writer that's quite insulting, it's like they're calling us brainless money cows and that everything they tell us is good we gonna believe them, so yeah, basically I'm done with Ubisoft I guess....

Best of luck to all, but I had no other place to rant about the HUGE frustration Ubisoft brought upon me, so that's my say, for now...

PS: Far Cry 3 story was also very dumb, so it's not an Series Exclusive problem, I bet Watch Dogs will have the same fate

guidomista
04-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Well, I totally agree with you.
Luckily you haven't played AC Liberation...
Even if I enjoyed playing it more than ac3, even if Aveline has more personality then Connor and even if the story is more related with the Creed than ac3 or ac4, the story itself is full of nonsense twists! You can bare something like that in a videogame... if it wasn't Assassin Creed!
The problem is Ubisoft pampered us with Altair and Ezio's atmospheres, so we always expect a great story... Or at least we hope.

After ac3 and ac4 I have to say I Iost all my expectecions. Still, I den a little hope on Unity...
Maybe to go back to the old continent could bring some good plot.
And it's Paris. Ubisoft is french (not canadian, btw).
And for how I know french people, thay will try to do something better than AC2: they can not let an italian excels in the serie! (kidding ;))
But this hope is very small... less than 10%. I can see the direction the series has taken.

Anyway, I have a question:

Not satisfied with that the writer decided to kill the fact that Ezio was Altair's descendant with some ridiculous in-game note in AC4
Where is it? I didn't notice!
For what I remember Altair and Ezio must be both Desmond's ancestors (they didn't invented yet all that "Abstergo Entertainment" crap in which everybody can be everybody in the past).
But, actually, they could be unrelated with one another. Though I don't remember hearing it explicily.

Bye

xdj1nn
04-23-2014, 09:01 PM
http://b-i.forbesimg.com/insertcoin/files/2013/11/ac2.jpg

here you go

And the writer stated it in an interview...

Originally AC is Canadian it was developed by Ubi Montreal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Montreal#List_of_video_game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Montreal#List_of_video_games)

guidomista
04-23-2014, 10:09 PM
http://b-i.forbesimg.com/insertcoin/files/2013/11/ac2.jpg

here you go

And the writer stated it in an interview...

mmm... that's interesting. I already read that, but i never focused on "parental lines". I only read the list, not the titles. I don't know why...
Thank for your answer!
But it also means that Ezio is related with the Kenways (and Aveline?) somehow...
And Arno (or Arnaud) in Unity will be a descendant of Altair.
Am I wrong?
... or maybe these are only junk-infos in game, I don't know....
Anyway, now I'm going to read it all again!

Originally AC is Canadian it was developed by Ubi Montreal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Montreal#List_of_video_game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Montreal#List_of_video_games)

Yes, i knew. And I was wrong at first thinking also Ubisoft was canadian, cause I confused "Montreal", canadian ubisoft subsidiary, with "Montreuil", Ubisoft headquarter. :P
I was only saying Ubisoft is french just in case you were doing the same mistake.

Bye

xdj1nn
04-24-2014, 12:16 AM
just wanted to point out one thing and one thing only: The META gaming in AC3 and AC4 improved, the graphics needlessly improved as well, but became exaggerated to a point it brought serious performance issues. As to animations they are overall the best in all game's installments.

So technically the game is better, while practically it's much much worst because AC was built up on it's story and the story is gone...

Farlander1991
04-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Altair and Ezio were NEVER related. It was known since AC2. The Auditore Family crypt describes the history of the family. Domenico Auditore was essentially a random guy (I think a fisherman?) that became a sailor and that's how he got the codex - via Dante Alighieri (who inducted him into the Order) who in turn got it from Marco Polo.

Sanctuary was not Altair's life and work, it was built by Domenico as the tribute to the greatest Assassins in history from over the lands. He found a way to move their tombs from over the globe to Italy, I'm sure he found a way to get Altair's armor stored there as well (though, it's not quite clear if that armor actually belonged to Altair or if it was built based on codex specifications).

All this info was in AC2.

xdj1nn
04-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Altair and Ezio were NEVER related. It was known since AC2. The Auditore Family crypt describes the history of the family. Domenico Auditore was essentially a random guy (I think a fisherman?) that became a sailor and that's how he got the codex - via Dante Alighieri (who inducted him into the Order) who in turn got it from Marco Polo.

Sanctuary was not Altair's life and work, it was built by Domenico as the tribute to the greatest Assassins in history from over the lands. He found a way to move their tombs from over the globe to Italy, I'm sure he found a way to get Altair's armor stored there as well (though, it's not quite clear if that armor actually belonged to Altair or if it was built based on codex specifications).

All this info was in AC2.

Sure about it? I'll check it later, but if that is the case then the story of the game has being flawed since ever I would say... The great interesting thing about playing Ezio through out his "awesomeness" was the fact that he might have being related to Altair, even putting italy would make sense since the high immigration from Middle East during the time.

I remember having a gap of the crypt descriptions where it would explicitly let a hole where Domenico could be related to Altair, there was also the mother of Ezio, who could have being related too, but I can't remember, it's being so long I've last played AC2 that it becomes hard to keep track of everything....

Script-writing logic would place them as related almost as a rule, forcing them to be not related makes the structure weak and leads to flaws, but that's my writer side talking. That's why I've stated it was the obvious path, one has to chain all characters in a interesting way through the script so it can reinforce better plots.

As to the Revelations Trailer, the sight of Altair by Ezio doesn't make any sense if not related or something, like some kind of "genetic" connection would be causing that, with them not related the strength of the trailer fades as well as the logical sense or "fiction-reality" sense of the script, which also makes the writer a bad writer technically...

Idk, my main criticism is towards AC writing options, not the story up until AC3, or anything else, but a writer must justify every single thing he puts in as reality and have to base that upon their own logic created in their universe, when not, common sense must guide...

guidomista
04-24-2014, 04:16 PM
I think Altair and Ezio are kind of related through Desmond...
If you remember ther's some strange kind of communication between time eras... so we can immaginate in Revelations, Desmond do the DNA bridge between Altair's memories and Ezio's life.
But it's also about Artifacts and First Civilization, with their "supernatural" powers. At the end, all humankind is related, since Adam and Eva.
Maybe some people has genetic skills, maybe cause of some First Civilization's inheritance.
And maybe at a certain point of human evolution, something has made a strong division between Juno's followers (templars) and Minerva's ones (assassins).
And First Civilization gave them powers... or some genetic inheritance. Maybe...

I'm just fantasizing, cause we don't have enough infos about the origin of the two orders, and about the relationship between humans and First Civilization.
Anyway, seeing last series plots, I do not expect any logical and comprehensive explanation at this point...

Bye

xdj1nn
04-25-2014, 03:30 AM
that's the cause of my disappointment, you see? Game has an incredible universe badly explored, it lacks information even on the Writer's side I believe, I think even he doesn't really know how to explain things, he also kind of mocked costumers by saying things like: "how come they don't already know this, don't already know that?"

I think he writes for himself and himself only with little to no regard to some basic writing rules and the public, I also strongly believe that Desmond's death was probably for the sake of marketing and should not be part of the story, the way and circumstances that the character was killed were very out of place and non-sense....

BurntKona
04-25-2014, 09:03 AM
But it's also about Artifacts and First Civilization, with their "supernatural" powers. At the end, all humankind is related, since Adam and Eva.
Maybe some people has genetic skills, maybe cause of some First Civilization's inheritance.

You nearly have it. Adam and Eve were human/Those Who Came Before hybrids, born of a union between human and TWCB. The skills such as Eagle Vision come from having TWCB DNA passed down from a hybrid such as Adam and Eve. The more TWCB DNA that you inherit through genetic lineage, the greater the effect is.

I'm sure there was a conversation in AC4 where Kidd talks about having a train hard and concentrate to access Eagle Vision, whereas Edward is able to to do so with ease.

AherasSTRG
04-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Ezio was Altair's descendant? Have you not played Assassin's Creed II?

Juno was mumbo jumbo? The return of TOWCB was hinted since Brotherhood.

The observatory makes no sense? It's similar to the Temple in Assassin's Creed 3 and its location was known since the first game.

xdj1nn
05-02-2014, 02:33 AM
1 - Ezio was Altair's descendant? Have you not played Assassin's Creed II?

2 - Juno was mumbo jumbo? The return of TOWCB was hinted since Brotherhood.

3 - The observatory makes no sense? It's similar to the Temple in Assassin's Creed 3 and its location was known since the first game.

1 - I've played all AC games, including BF even not owning it... I've either missed or forgot about some worthless in-game collectible texts? Nothing wrong with that, in fact, 90% of AC story is kind of hidden with those meta-texts that if not fulfill your curiosity kind of annoy you, having to read tons and tons of in-game "documents" just to understand wtf is going on sucks hard, but wth...

2 - yup, juno or whatever being reborn sucks hard, it's impossible to fix the bad they've done with Desmond's character, the abstergo gaming and you going FP and playing there is even worst, not to mention the stall on giving at least some sort of closure to the story so it can keep going, you see, Start Wars had 6 films, each trilogy had it's own story and closure, despite characters remaining alive it had an start, and growth and an ending on each, the new trilogy will do the same, AC has the WTF reaction start, goes to 2 which reinforces the WTF, spin-offs (BH and Revelations) that follow the growth of the characters(Desmond and Ezio alike), while gives closure to Ezio's story, than comes AC3, with a dull character living a dull story based on true facts but hardly convincing, than comes AC4, with an non-assassin uninteresting character, surrounded by other uninteresting characters, with an Story that gives me absolutely nothing but frustration towards the series. If no-Juno happened, whereas an war between assassins and templars to find those "deities" began anew with Desmond being the main PLAYABLE character in AC3, well, I would be happy, if even Juno had done her thing but with Desmond being alive and AC4 being about Desmond, I would be happy, it would come to some closure eventually... So yeah, Juno mambo jumbo, sucks to have your favorite franchise die out of bad writing, the worst is that I've just discovered the bad writing was there since AC2.

3 - AC3 can't be used as reference since I consider it as the start of the ruin of the whole thing, I mean, you can live with some bad stuff, considering how perfectly written was Ezio's "trilogy", so basically you've just reinstated what I've stated ages ago about AC3 being having a rly awful story, as for the location, well I don't care, the Observatory would've being interesting were it not added just to make the Pirate ARR! game an "AC" game, but basically it's far from being an Assassin's Creed game, Kenway line sucks, Edward is dull, Heathen was ret4rd3d and Connor dull, not only that but the way they all were presented and the order which they were presented was completely non-sense, probably one of the reasons why almost nobody felt any connection with Edward or even Connor, there was no story build up, felt like they were added out of no where into the plot and they've went away just the same, nothing changed in any of these characters nor added anything to the whole plot, they've just filled some meaningless purposes, I mean, AC4 makes absolutely no sense at all, with desmond dead and Juno out there's absolutely nothing motivating me to continue on, I have zero connection with AC4 but pretending I'm in a Pirates of the Caribbean game hahahaha

On top of my random criticism I can add serious Design flaws in Black Flag which with being with my friends game for over 2 months allowed me to observe in a second playthrough:

Legendary Ships are pointless - their prizes have no use if you take account that beating them with fully upgraded but not Elite upgraded Jackdaw is nearly impossible, meaning you'll have no where to spend the money they give. The Charge special attack is useful in early game, late game it's just another dull option to insta-sink ships, and for you to need it at late game you probably suck, meaning that the skill given by defeating all Legendary Ships is actually only useful against Legendary Ships, but wait, there are no more Legendary Ships!!!!! "Amzeballs!" :rolleyes:

Mini-games: Checkers, 9 Men's and Fanorona - Those mini-games were supposed to be fun and maybe give some early-game help with your finances, but the AI in AC4 was changed so they exclusively counter-play the player by using it's vast pre-written ALL POSSIBILITIES OF PLAY, which makes them nearly impossible unless you are some sort of Checkers/9men's/Fanorona genius, I've managed to beat the AI a few times around in Checkers Expert, but that's because I play that thing since I was a kid. So those mini-games are more of a way to pointlessly get the player extremely irritated and/or frustrated.

Ship-Combat - Somewhere in these forums I've already said it, but I'll say it again, Ship Combat is boring as hell, it's farming through and through without any kind of real challenge, after the third ship in row you will find yourself bored and wanting to finish them off as fast as possible, the best thing to do if you need farming is actually to insta-sink ships around lvl 2 forts and loot the hell out of it, it'll save more time fishing for the craters than boarding ships.

Combat - Combat is great but the unresponsive commands glitch are haunting me, srsly, there are many times where I do X command and the character stands still and takes some free hits for nothing.

Free-running - Old but goldie free-run gliches are still there, you aim and try to jump at X spot, your character jumps the opposite way to suicide, or, you run to the left, but the character does a "wall-run" on the right because it's fun!

Double-Counters - those are amazing but you have no control over them, why? Not only that but they are much more rare than in AC3 and the number of animations has decreased... I also miss opportunities to combo two enemies at once, the AC characters are all unbeatable rambo-like bad-asses why not allow the players control over the bad-*** cut-scenes? meh...

75% of the game's weapons are Exclusive Content/DLC, wtf??? That's plain stupid, instead of having new content if you purchase the usual copy of the game you get it INCOMPLETE, wtf????

And finally but not less-importantly: WHERE THE FAK IS THE HOOD OF THE MAYAN ARMOR? I mean, it is a must-have taking account that the majority of cut-scene animations shows edward putting the hood, but then both unique armors in the game have no Hood, which makes you look stupid when those animations kick-in... Even the templar armor could've one, given Edward crafts clothes with hoods himself what would stop him of adding that little touch to the armors even if there were no hoods originally? Meh....

And I miss not being able to chose my own ship, I mean, I'm a pirate who does whatever he wants but the Designers wills. The game is actually extremely limited and far from "Open-world" as it was advertised as being... It also feels really out-of-place how Edward "becomes an Assassin" which by all means the game shows it never happened... Game should be renamed to Pirate's Creed....

That's it for now, but honestly, why add 20k gold to legendary ships and that skill unlock after beating all of them if by the time you'll be able to defeat them you will have already or almost beaten the game? Aaah... Pointless...

PS: In AC2 we had the maps for all artifacts, ytf would they keep rolling with Animus if they already know everything that they needed to know?!?!?!?

guidomista
05-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Good points!
If I can add some...
1. Why have the camera bounce while Edward run? I hate it! And why it has to be so close? The character cover half the screen! In ac3 you can switch the kind of camera, here you can't. That could also be the reason why they put him to the side, not at the center of the screen anymore. You lost a lot of accuracy in movements with this interface. I miss Ezio...
2. We almost totally lost the "prince of persia" part of game. I want dungeons back! Not something boring/stupid/useless like NY and Boston's undergrounds (Wtf was that stuff? Are you kidding me?)
3. Where is the challenge in this game? Even secondary objective are easy like hell. The only part i found a little bit hard are legendary ships. So, has you already pointed, it's very stupid to get that charge skill when you don't need it anymore.
4. And yes, the hood, for god sake... I refuse to wear mayan armor, even if it protect me from shooting, cause of the lack of the hood...

I think this game is a big mishmash of things put together without any criterion or relationship.
They did not take care the overall vision, as they did with the Ezio's trilogy.
They have only added the most disparate things into a huge claderone, thus creating a completely inhomogeneous product.

Next time i'll buy a Ubisoft product, i'll read some hardcore player's review before...
I was so excited a year ago when I saw first footage from Watch Dogs. Now, after ac4, I'm not gonna buy it untill I know it's really a good product.
Ac4 is not. And if you only read good reviews about it, it's just because they are written by non-hardcore players, casual players that play a game a few hours and write an article.
If you go deeper in game, you can see how bad it's developed. Comparing with AC2 this game is sh!t.
I'm sorry, but "amazing" effect (like water) ends soon. Boredom soon takes its place...

Bye

xdj1nn
05-04-2014, 08:15 AM
I don't get it how people doesn't understand the flaws in games, when I was younger games tended to have better quality, now-a-days most AAA games are crap, I mean, everything has got worst, each new release is more dumbed down, filled with bugs and glitches, with intrusive DRM, tons of greedy DLC, special exclusive content for extremely expensive "versions" of the game, everything costing you a full game price for a half-game in every single aspect of it...

Industry has being sinking down into a pool of fecal liquid and they have being trying to rub our noses into this marvelous soup... I find everything happening with the Video-Game Industry to be of an extreme distaste and ultimately disrespectful.

Idk, maybe I was raised too well for this 21st century, things are upside down, no values no morals and lack of ethics everywhere... Not only that but we also have to live with these bizarre old-fashioned tards who have no respect for other people who do not share their views, beliefs and convictions. And it's not just about games I mean, people who tend to get edgy about criticism towards their beloved convictions have low IQ's and tend to be dumb, being homophobic, racist, sexist or whatever is 100% dumb, and gaming world fan-boys are just like those already condemned tards, the thing is they just preach something that's not harmful and yet jeopardize the industry as a whole for others with more refined taste...

guidomista
05-04-2014, 12:15 PM
"O tempora! O mores!"
Cicero said....
Aside from the times of decadence in which (even for me) we live, I've come up with another thing they removed from the game with no reason.
Auto-following crowd... In last multiplayer you can even auto-follow a single NPC, Why did they removed this in SP??
I loved to take a ride in crowd and move camera to scan the area.
It could seem stupid, but it's maybe the thing personally I miss more! :(

Bye

Ferrith
05-07-2014, 04:52 AM
I agree with nearly all the posts by OP and Guido. The writing of AC IV was simply horrible, I bet they were thinking of people who have never read a single book in their entire lives. The incident that took place and which acted as a catalyst in changing Edward's heart and beliefs was really CHEAP and uncreative.
I mean the death of Mary Read. In all the 19th - early 20th century novels death was what made a novel's character to change path in life. Even E.M.Forster, who was a really good writer, was accused by literary critic F.R. Leavis of using "tricks" to move his readers (meaning the death of his characters) where his pen failed to be creative and innovative.
The story was so boring I never felt the urge to finish the game. That was truly a first for me: In all previous games I wanted to know what is going to happen and how the story would end - even AC III was no exception. But, going through Edward's story, I realised I couldn't care less. And if once I had thought Connor was an uninteresting character, meeting his grand father, Edward, made me change my mind.

The fact that Assassins have become a secondary, decorative element in the series has annoyed me greatly. Equally annoying is the fact that there is no rhyme or reason in the story any more; and everything we knew about the special power (eagle vision) of Assasins we should forget it, because now it is a power everyone can have, according to the new [wannabe] writer, Mr McKermitt (see: McDevitt)

In AC III there were signs the series could only go from bad to worse, but who knew it would be *that* bad? They could as well change the title into "Ubisoft's Greed", no one would be surprised.

Such a shame! AC used to be my favourite game. I still remember buying AC 1 the very first day of its release and yet keeping it on my desk drawer for nearly a year before being able to play it because my old computer couldn't run it. And when I built my new PC and played the game I was really excited, looking forward to the next installment. I supposed it was a different Ubisoft that made those first games.

P.S. Why in the nine hells an Assassin should care to unlock a Templar costume? Oops, I forgot: Edward wasn't an Assassin. :rolleyes:

EverAmbiguous
05-15-2014, 04:54 AM
I love that people claim that the AC II and Ezio trilogy were good AC games, when they were the worst--in both AC II and AC B, the entire, literally the ENTIRE plot motivation is revenge and vengeance. Ezio doesn't care about the Assassins. He just wants to kill the people who killed his family.

Revelations was only a little better--the main story point was something related to the Assassin's, but it was nothing more than a McGuffin that had no value, outside of some sentimental nonsense binding Desmond, Ezio, and Altair together.

And then there's Ezio. He's nothing but a womanizer with his penchant for, as mentioned, revenge and vengeance. No sense of focusing on the Assassins until the end (and even then, as mentioned, the things he does don't really do anything to help the Assassins).

I enjoy the AC II series, don't get me wrong, I love the ending in Revelations, especially that scene where Altair sits down in the chair, the camera swirls, and Ezio appears--and then Ezio talks to Desmond. I love all that. But it's a terrible, terrible Assassin's Creed game/series.

AC IV was really no worse. It's also worth mentioning that while the AC II series introduced us to Juno, Minerva, and the other one (that guy, can't remember his name), it was AC3 that actually gave us Juno's backstory, and forecasted what we learned about her husband in AC IV.

But neither Ezio nor Edward do anything to grow the Assassin brotherhood really, or further its goals. They're almost the same.

EverAmbiguous
05-15-2014, 04:57 AM
I supposed it was a different Ubisoft that made those first games.

P.S. Why in the nine hells an Assassin should care to unlock a Templar costume? Oops, I forgot: Edward wasn't an Assassin. :rolleyes:

You're right! it was a Ubisoft who introduced bullcrap like always online single-player, and said things like "95% of PC players are pirates." Their newfangled ways of being able to play a single-player game offline, and actually respecting PC players, are terrible, just terrible. Shame on them.

As for your second sentence there--the same kind of assassin who would go around wearing the armor of Romulus. It's just a costume.

Ferrith
05-15-2014, 07:52 PM
You're right! it was a Ubisoft who introduced bullcrap like always online single-player, and said things like "95% of PC players are pirates."
Wrong. AC series started with NO DRM at all.

Their newfangled ways of being able to play a single-player game offline, and actually respecting PC players, are terrible, just terrible. Shame on them.
Wrong. Ubisoft respect nothing but their revenues. It took a lot of players being really angry and voicing their appall all over the internet before Ubisoft decided to compromise and step back from their "always-on" atrocious plan.

As for your second sentence there--the same kind of assassin who would go around wearing the armor of Romulus. It's just a costume.
Really now? Just a costume?

First, there is NO Romulus armour. It is the Marcus Brutus armour we are talking about, which the followers of Romulus had locked away, and,

Second, Marcus Brutus WAS an ASSASSIN, not some random guy. He was related to Assassins, he had discovered the First Civilization's Vault in Colosseum, which implies he had First Civilization DNA - it is all written on the scrolls he left behind. Therefore, it made SENSE for Ezio to seek to unlock that armour, as part of his Assassin legacy - in spite of his inability to come to terms with this legacy for a very long time.

And now we have Edward seeking to unlock a TEMPLAR armour just because... ? Another proof of how the AC story has been downgraded, where things happen with no rhyme or reason.

EverAmbiguous
05-16-2014, 04:24 AM
Wrong. AC series started with NO DRM at all.

Actually, if you reread his quote, he said "those first games." Not "the first game."

So actually, right.

Wrong. Ubisoft respect nothing but their revenues. It took a lot of players being really angry and voicing their appall all over the internet before Ubisoft decided to compromise and step back from their "always-on" atrocious plan.

I agree that there were a lot of complaints, one of them mine. But it was still a choice they made when they didn't have to, and I doubt they would have had too many more problems with it since they stuck with it for so long. People were beginning to expect and almost accept it.

Really now? Just a costume?

First, there is NO Romulus armour. It is the Marcus Brutus armour we are talking about, which the followers of Romulus had locked away, and,

Second, Marcus Brutus WAS an ASSASSIN, not some random guy. He was related to Assassins, he had discovered the First Civilization's Vault in Colosseum, which implies he had First Civilization DNA - it is all written on the scrolls he left behind. Therefore, it made SENSE for Ezio to seek to unlock that armour, as part of his Assassin legacy - in spite of his inability to come to terms with this legacy for a very long time.

And now we have Edward seeking to unlock a TEMPLAR armour just because... ? Another proof of how the AC story has been downgraded, where things happen with no rhyme or reason.

I stand corrected. I must have missed his Assassin symbol on his belt.