PDA

View Full Version : The Assassin's Creed Cities Elimination Game, Round IV [AC3/ ACL]

frodrigues55
04-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Round III is over and there really was no discussion: Constantinopla started ahead, stayed ahead and ended with basically no competition at all! It was the first round with such a huge difference and the only one where 2 maps got no votes at all. Here's the results:

Constantinople - 25 votes
Rome - 11 votes
Cappadocia - 1 vote
Brotherhood's Minor Locations (DaVinci Machines, DaVinci DLC) - No votes
Revelations' Masyaf (Both Ezio & Altair times) - No votes

For Round IV, we are moving towards AC3 and Liberation. Regular AC3 cities include their TOKW version, ok?

And if you please have a better picture for NY, do not hesitate to share! :o A lot of them look just like Boston and I can barely set those 2 cities apart, so I decided not to risk it.

Here´s the options:

Boston
http://i57.tinypic.com/e66f5w.jpg

New York
http://i58.tinypic.com/33m1xqo.jpg

Frontier
http://i62.tinypic.com/t4xvyq.jpg

Davenport Homestead
http://i60.tinypic.com/dbmcnl.jpg

Naval Locations/Westpoint
http://i59.tinypic.com/10nreck.jpg

New Orleans
http://i61.tinypic.com/w0ng4i.jpg

The Bayou
http://i60.tinypic.com/1198aab.jpg

Chichen Itza
http://i58.tinypic.com/2up6ct1.jpg

frodrigues55
04-22-2014, 11:58 AM
OK, this is a tough round for me, but all for the wrong reasons as much as I love AC3.

First, I hate the Bayou with strong passion, probably AC's worst location in the history of the franchise.

I'm really indifferent to New Orleans, although I like it a little, and Chichen Itza was a nice surprise. The problem is that Liberation's textures popping in as you walk are really in your face, regardless of how simplistic the game is, which impacts on my opinion because it takes out some of the joy.

So, looking at AC3, is not that I don't like the two main cities - they are large and were built as they were. It gives the game the setting it wants to convey and I can't complain about that. The problem is how they lack color, and this washed out style annoys me a little. Not only that, but apart from NYC's burned area, is there really any difference amongst the two cities? You could use the same map for both of them and I don't think it would make much difference.

On the other hand, I find The Frontier and Homestead absolutely wonderful. It's really different from what AC had done so far, and it's breathing life everywhere you go. I'm torn between the two. It was great to walk around the Homestead and see people living their lives and engaging in activities on their own. Also, see it grow as you progressed through the game was really a joy.

As for the frontier, I know it is accused of being too empty, but I like it. It was good variaty of areas - the small cities, the valleys, the dense forests wich hides the forts and the more aggressive animals, the rocks and huge waterfalls - it's all very well done. Plus, randomly finding wolves attacking people; red coats and blue coats engaging in fights; animals fighting each other or taking care of their little ones... trully a remarkable job.

And for those little surprises alone, I will vote for the Frontier.

LoyalACFan
04-22-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm gonna go with the Davenport Homestead. I wasn't the biggest fan of AC3's cities and I loathed the empty nothingness of the Frontier (though the cliffs around Diamond Basin and Johnson Hall were legitimately cool) and the Homestead always felt welcoming, regardless of its crappy side missions. Plus Connor always had his hood down there, meaning he looked like Travis Bickle post-game.

Speaking of the Frontier though, might I suggest one of these as a replacement for the pic in the OP?

http://media.edge-online.com/wp-content/uploads/edgeonline/2012/08/assassins_creed_3_cliff_leap.jpg
http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/03/Assassins-Creed-3-Screenshot-8.jpg

The one you have there now is sort of reminiscent of the woodland areas of the Homestead map. I feel like these are more characteristic of the Frontier alone..

Wolfmeister1010
04-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Fronter for me. I felt it was too empty though. Not enough enemies or activities and stuff. The towns were so empty and boring and quiet, only a few forts scattered here and there..so all CONTENT aside, and based purely off of how beautiful and varied the frontier was, I vote Frontier.

I HATE the Bayou SOOO much.

New Orleans is meh at times, but very forgettable.

New York sucks, but the broadway-like buildings can be fun at times.

Boston is very very very very meh. Better than New York, but still very bland.

Chicen Itza is nice, but so damn small..I wouldn't even call it a worthy location lol, same with the naval locations.

The homestead is great. Just wish we could build it up more..maybe pave those damned roads

frodrigues55
04-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Speaking of the Frontier though, might I suggest one of these as a replacement for the pic in the OP?

Gonna change it later! I wanted one that showed off the hunting, as it is its stronger characteristic. Those two are great, though! If you can find a NYC pic too, it would be really helpfull :p

Locopells
04-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Fronter for me also - regardless of what there was to do in it, it of itself was one of the best things in ACIII. Particularly in TOKW's winter, it creeped the hell outta me...

Which is a point actually - I take it this covers TOKW as well?

LoyalACFan
04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Gonna change it later! I wanted one that showed off the hunting, as it is its stronger characteristic. Those two are great, though! If you can find a NYC pic too, it would be really helpfull :p

NYC will be tricky since they didn't really advertise it much pre-release. I've got this piece of concept art if you like, but I think we'd do better sticking to screens...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD0ktYK2BBLru6C_DTQsXPd-OQi1UTW0c0_gNO_qphYdxKHLMfSQ

Edit- WTF, why is that coming out so small? No matter, I've found a screen.

http://www.forumla.de/attachments/assassins-creed/129419d1349807802-assassins-creed-3-ac3_sc_sp_60_hd_newyork_environment.jpg

Actually a pretty badass one too, I must admit...

marvelfannumber
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
I did not play Liberation so I can't speak for that, however for AC3 I will have to go with New York. Despite it being kind of same'ey with Boston I kinda like it. It has the most variety (ruins, countryside, architecture etc.) and is alot taller than Boston which makes it more fun to run around in for me. I am kinda sad it did not play a larger role in the story though, shame the Great Fire had to be cut.

Rugterwyper32
04-22-2014, 03:11 PM
I'll go with New York, with the Frontier being close second but limited by a few frustrations I have with it.
New York has some pretty interesting stuff going on for it if you go out of your way to do it (going there before meeting with Washington in Sequence 9 is worth it, I'd say, winter New York is beautiful), you have some really nice Dutch Colonial architecture (look at the facades, main difference from Boston) and for the most part east New York is one of the most fun areas to freerun, plus you have west New York all burned down. It's severely underused and the fact that the worst sequence in the game, sequence 8, is your first contact with it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, so that can make it really difficult to enjoy it. It took me time. But it grew to be my favorite.
The frontier frustrates me because of how many missed opportunities and how severely underused it is. Many of the neat areas you usually have no reason to return to (Poor Packanack, Black Creek and Diamond Basin). Sure, it goes through a lot of the same issues New York has, but the main problem to me comes from the fact that it was hyped up so big, it was said to have so much to do and you could see even as far back as the E3 demo there would have been a lot more to do, and it's probably the one area that suffered the most as it was the most hyped, I feel.

oliacr
04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
I go with Frontier. The cities hm lacks of huge buildings and nice architecture. The frontier was amazing.

Kirokill
04-22-2014, 04:02 PM
The fresh Frontier. Hunting and walking on bridges and land with some wetness on them, feels like a dream if only they were a bit more green.

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Danm, as soon as I was waiting for this poll to come up, now it's hard to choose lol

I'm tied between NY, Boston, the Frontier and the Homestead.

I thought NY was alright, even the burnt ruins that had more potential than just being for show.

Boston was about the same.

Frontier was a breathe of fresh air :p and so was the Homestead, but I don't like Connor's hood down since he got his haircut.

Therefore, I guess I would have to go with the Frontier.

Additionally, I would think that if they had included the Great Fire of NY in there, it probably would win.

Megas_Doux
04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Kinda hard to decide, I do not like any location much more than the others and most of them, at least in AC III, have the same critical flaw, being big just because.....

I think both Boston and NY are "too big" for their own good, however I like specific parts, the North District in Boston, and the South District of NY, the one with the Dutch buildings and I love how alive the docks feel in both, wandering around and climb the ships is a really nice addition.

The Homestead is the most "rpg" like experience, I genuinely enjoy all the interactions and the Frontier, welll, again I feel really meh about some parts of it, but I truly love others, my favorites being Packnack?, Black Creek and John's Town. So sad that no more native stuff was included :(

By the way, I think TToKW did a very good jood improving the atmosphere of all the locations.

Bastiaen
04-22-2014, 05:11 PM
It's a tough contest between Frontier and New York, But I love the New York Architecture. You can spot some Dutch influence in there mixed with the English architecture, plus its buildings are taller than Boston, and it's streets narrower, making it more fun for parkour.

AherasSTRG
04-22-2014, 05:36 PM
New York all the way.

Kaschra
04-22-2014, 05:37 PM
The Davenport Homestead for me. It's a good mix between nature and civilisation, not too much empty space like in the Frontier, and not too crowded like the cities.
It kinda feels like home.
It's a really beautiful place, and I also like to visit the people of the homestead.

I don't like Newyork nor Boston that much (I slightly prefer Boston though). The architecture bores me.
New Orleans is a bit better, at least I tought it was easier for rooftop running.
The Bayou is ok. I like the Frontier better because of the variety of the landscape.
I love the First Civ mission in Chichen Itza. That place s alright, too.

Locopells
04-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Yeah I do like riding in the first time, and working out where all the buildings are gonna be. Kinda like seeing pictures of my house when we first moved in.

Assassin_M
04-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Tough one.

I liked Boston for it's more crowded feeling in the Markets and the docks. The height of the buildings was not THAT short so it wasn't a problem for me walking in tight alleys while admiring the buildings from the ground.

NY's dutch architecture was its allure. Tall buildings and beautiful varied facades distinguish it from Boston. The martial law atmosphere really gives it a distinct feel too when it goes with the burned out area. seeing little camps and makeshift hospitals between the former buildings. this is especially amazing during the winter.

That said, both cities were a joy to free-run in, much better than Venice. Guards don't have an insta-detect (unless you bump into them of course) their detection meter filling is consistent and they're not as spread out around buildings and not around EVERY landmark. The animations also make free-running beautiful to watch.

The Frontier's missed opportunity lies in the fact that it does not feel dense, not the fact that it has little to do in terms of quests (since that can go for every city and location in AC) sometimes, it felt so empty...i didnt feel like i was in a deep forest. more trees would'v made the Frontier one of my most beloved places but i enjoyed the frontier during the winter a lot. stalking animals, tree running and doing homestead missions. My favorite areas were Pacnack, Black Creek and Mohawk Valley.

I LOVE the Homestead NPC system. it's reminiscent of Red dead's in which EVERY single person has a life cycle. Wake up, go to work, have some leisure, do side tasks, mingle, go to bed and repeat. It's also never the same sequence. I wished that that would be the case in every settlement in the Frontier and in camps but sadly that was not the case. It really felt like Home too.

The mad doctor's castle is probably my favorite temporary location in AC. The music, the atmosphere, the story and the place itself...it was amazing. Fort Walcott comes second and the north eastern passage comes third.

New Orleans was pretty cool.

The Bayou was just a bad idea to have as a free roam place. it could'v been a BIT smaller because its traversal was pretty annoying because of the lack of trees.

Chichen Iza was cool too. I loved the density of the place.

Still can't decide a vote...

Wolfmeister1010
04-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Tough one.

I liked Boston for it's more crowded feeling in the Markets and the docks. The height of the buildings was not THAT short so it wasn't a problem for me walking in tight alleys while admiring the buildings from the ground.

NY's dutch architecture was its allure. Tall buildings and beautiful varied facades distinguish it from Boston. The martial law atmosphere really gives it a distinct feel too when it goes with the burned out area. seeing little camps and makeshift hospitals between the former buildings. this is especially amazing during the winter.

That said, both cities were a joy to free-run in, much better than Venice. Guards don't have an insta-detect (unless you bump into them of course) their detection meter filling is consistent and they're not as spread out around buildings and not around EVERY landmark. The animations also make free-running beautiful to watch.

The Frontier's missed opportunity lies in the fact that it does not feel dense, not the fact that it has little to do in terms of quests (since that can go for every city and location in AC) sometimes, it felt so empty...i didnt feel like i was in a deep forest. more trees would'v made the Frontier one of my most beloved places but i enjoyed the frontier during the winter a lot. stalking animals, tree running and doing homestead missions. My favorite areas were Pacnack, Black Creek and Mohawk Valley.

I LOVE the Homestead NPC system. it's reminiscent of Red dead's in which EVERY single person has a life cycle. Wake up, go to work, have some leisure, do side tasks, mingle, go to bed and repeat. It's also never the same sequence. I wished that that would be the case in every settlement in the Frontier and in camps but sadly that was not the case. It really felt like Home too.

The mad doctor's castle is probably my favorite temporary location in AC. The music, the atmosphere, the story and the place itself...it was amazing. Fort Walcott comes second and the north eastern passage comes third.

New Orleans was pretty cool.

The Bayou was just a bad idea to have as a free roam place. it could'v been a BIT smaller because its traversal was pretty annoying because of the lack of trees.

Chichen Iza was cool too. I loved the density of the place.

Still can't decide a vote...

I agree with basically everything..although I disagree disagree disagree about how boston/NY freerunning was better than Venice. I suppose it is just personal taste. I assume you liked the feee running in Kingston better than in Havana. Maybe save that for the next thread I suppose.

Assassin_M
04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
I agree with basically everything..although I disagree disagree disagree about how boston/NY freerunning was better than Venice. I suppose it is just personal taste. I assume you liked the feee running in Kingston better than in Havana. Maybe save that for the next thread I suppose.
Not really, I liked Parkour in Havana and Kingston equally because the guards use AC III's more consistent system of detection. no insta-detect, not scattered too much and it fills slower than in AC II.
It wasn't about taste for me, honestly...taste implies that i prefer atmosphere or architecture but it's not that in regards to Parkour..

adventurewomen
04-22-2014, 09:11 PM
I wish this poll was multiple choice! Since this is an elimination poll then I'll choice the Frontier - Kanatahséton being my favourite location in the Frontier. :)

I did also enjoy West Point and Naval Locations and Davenport Homestead.. tough choice for this poll..

Fatal-Feit
04-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Boston, no doubt. Of all the cities I've explored for hours in AC, Boston is the single most crowded, dense, and alive of them all. Everything feels organic and real. For once, I actually felt like a true blade in the crowd. And by crowd, I don't mean 4 bodies of individual robot-like humans walking side by side like in some sort of sci-fi film. God bless the AnvilNext engine.

LoyalACFan
04-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Thou hast not updated the OP, frodrigues :(

Anyway, in retrospect, Boston was pretty cool. Exploration was made annoying by the broken guard AI, but the city itself was pretty and fun to run around in. It hasn't eclipsed the Homestead in my ranking, but perhaps I was overly harsh in my original assessment.

frodrigues55
04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Which is a point actually - I take it this covers TOKW as well?

Yup. AC3 cities can be chosen based on their regular or their TOKW versions :cool:

(...) but the main problem to me comes from the fact that it was hyped up so big, it was said to have so much to do and you could see even as far back as the E3 demo there would have been a lot more to do, and it's probably the one area that suffered the most as it was the most hyped, I feel.

I'm so glad I wasn't a fan back then - I survived through AC3's out of control hype and had no clue how big the game was supposed to be. I guess that made me appreciate AC3 a little more.

The mad doctor's castle is one of my favorite places in AC too - first time I entered it I could feel it was going to be something special. I was hoping to see more of that in AC4 and was a bit disappointed there wasn't anything that managed to capture that feeling. Though I guess that makes the castle more unique.

Thou hast not updated the OP, frodrigues :(

Whaaaaaaaat do you mean? *innocent eyes*

SixKeys
04-22-2014, 11:22 PM
I haven't seen the Liberations cities yet, so I can't vouch for those. From AC3 the Frontier is my favorite, followed by New York. NY is a bit more distinct from Boston with its burnt area.

I might have voted for naval locations, but most naval missions take place on the open sea, so overall the Frontier has more variety.

Jexx21
04-23-2014, 07:07 AM
That Boston shot.

I can't get over how much I love the colonial architecture in AC3.

I chose the Homestead though. The "home" cities are always my favorite, because they're home. Masyaf, Monterigionni, Davenport Homestead, Great Inagua, even Tiber Island and the Galata District. Those are my favorite places to be in these games.

Farlander1991
04-23-2014, 07:32 AM
I chose the Frontier. It's so impressive from technical standpoint and I just find joy in running around different parts of it.

I might have voted for naval locations, but most naval missions take place on the open sea, so overall the Frontier has more variety.

They don't. Naval locations and privateer missions are two different categories in AC3, naval locations are the Kidd treasure missions + the sword one, they're all land-based locations.

GunnerGalactico
04-23-2014, 09:52 AM
This one's a no brainer... I choose the Frontier. :p

SixKeys
04-23-2014, 03:16 PM
They don't. Naval locations and privateer missions are two different categories in AC3, naval locations are the Kidd treasure missions + the sword one, they're all land-based locations.

I see. It's been a while, so I can't remember the naval locations that well apart from the Mad Doctor's Castle which is amazing. So I'll still go with the Frontier.

jdowny
04-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I put Boston simply because of its opening scene when you arrive as Haytham. After Revelations, the world of AC III looked incredibly alive - the streets looked appropriately dirty, with markets, livestock and stray dogs mingling with the crowds of people. Everything from the music in the pubs to the rigging of the ships at the docks told of the detail put into AC III.

New York is a close second, but to me the burnt quarter and the fields at the outskirts just aren't as much fun to explore. It felt very much incomplete to me whereas Boston felt more full. Neither was as much fun to explore as other AC cities, so I'll be interested to know the results when we get down to the final.

The Frontier was beautiful, but there wasn't anywhere near as much to do as I had hoped. I had in mind that there would be a lot more missions that went beyond just 'collect this' and 'deliver that.' Hunting was cool and I actually liked the trading system in the game - that people could make tools and weapons for you from the things you get from hunting, but it still felt underused. I wanted a more dynamic system of animal AI - kind of like the STALKER series, where NPCs would actually migrate and come into conflict with each other. As it happened, I knew exactly where to go to find wolves, bears and other animals so a lot of the excitement of the Frontier being an unknown and dangerous place was gone.

STDlyMcStudpants
04-24-2014, 06:10 PM
The fronteir is my favorite of all AC games...Constantinople my 2nd