PDA

View Full Version : Option to Remove Highlight on Enemies

Pandassin
04-20-2014, 03:13 PM
For the players who like to play without HUD (like myself), I think we should get the option to remove the white highlight around enemies since it does get irritating, and breaks the immersion. I do understand they can be useful in combat so you know who you're fighting and stuff, but it would give the game a little challenge for those who want it, without the highlight around the enemies. So could you make it optional?

Kirokill
04-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Everything, remove everything, even side mission objectives. Boarding a ship with that text showing still annoys.

Pandassin
04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Everything, remove everything, even side mission objectives. Boarding a ship with that text showing still annoys.

I completely agree with you there.

Wolfmeister1010
04-20-2014, 04:43 PM
YES. For the love of christ YES. I HATE the highlight. Who cares if it makes autotargeting a bit harder?? That should be the point! You are only TRULY accurate while using free aim.

When this poll reaches a certain yes level, someone please for the love of G_d send this to Jade lol.

deskp
04-20-2014, 04:56 PM
I dislike the highlight, espeacly in close combat.

When they do the slow motion cinematic camera kill it's especialy silly.

Lowly Assassin
04-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Agree
I once listed all the options I want to see in the HUD elements section of the menus for UBisoft and this was one of my points
Along with a massive breakdown of what exactly SSI is and allowing us to switch on or off every SSI option seperately

Wolfmeister1010
04-20-2014, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW30tQfQR4U

6:40

Doesn't it look SOOO much better and more immersive without that AWFUL outline?? And the way better pistol sound effects is a whole other topic worth discussing lol.

Megas_Doux
04-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes!!!!!

I HATED eagle vision in AC IV.

oliacr
04-20-2014, 09:24 PM
So much problems for you guys, gamebreaking?

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 12:19 AM
bump

TheHumanTowel
04-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Bump again

Mr_Shade
04-21-2014, 12:32 AM
Please do not bump threads...

No bumping
Making short posts made with the sole intention of keeping posts near the top of the forum is called “bumping”. This raises forum traffic and clutter unnecessarily and moves more active threads down the page. As such it is not allowed and may result in the thread being lost and persistent offenders may have their posting privileges removed.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/663799-Forum-Rules

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Wow it worked

LoyalACFan
04-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Please do not bump threads...

No bumping
Making short posts made with the sole intention of keeping posts near the top of the forum is called “bumping”. This raises forum traffic and clutter unnecessarily and moves more active threads down the page. As such it is not allowed and may result in the thread being lost and persistent offenders may have their posting privileges removed.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/663799-Forum-Rules

I don't understand, the thread was only created yesterday...? Surely reviving a thread less than a day old can't qualify as bumping.

Anyway, as much as I dislike the outline, I don't think having an option to remove it is the answer. Axing it completely would be preferable IMO (auto-targeting in the Batman games, for instance, works fine without any target indicator), but even if they wanted to keep some kind of target indicator I'm sure they could come up with a different, subtler, and more visually appealing design than the glaring white silhouette.

rob.davies2014
04-21-2014, 09:36 AM
I really want it gone, and when I choose to remove all HUD I don't want ANYTHING else popping up.
It really breaks immersion having these objectives and the body highlights.

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't understand, the thread was only created yesterday...? Surely reviving a thread less than a day old can't qualify as bumping.

Anyway, as much as I dislike the outline, I don't think having an option to remove it is the answer. Axing it completely would be preferable IMO (auto-targeting in the Batman games, for instance, works fine without any target indicator), but even if they wanted to keep some kind of target indicator I'm sure they could come up with a different, subtler, and more visually appealing design than the glaring white silhouette.

Glad someone else said it.

Mr_Shade
04-21-2014, 03:16 PM

posting 'bump' - is bumping, no matter the age of the thread.

If a thread is new, there's really no need to post 'bump' at all - since it's still easy to find - unless it's for bumping the thread to the top of the page, or boosting your own post count.

Wow it worked

And by that post - I take it you were expecting a warning?

TheHumanTowel
04-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Wolfmeister bumped the thread by just posting "Bump" which was hilarious because it was only 3 hours old at the time, that's the reason for Shade's post.

Mr_Shade
04-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Thank you.

I will reinstate the deleted post's - since some seem to think I like posting for the sake of it - and it was bumped again 15 minutes after that.. so everyone can see why I posted the warning…

There is zero excuse to bump a thread which is still under a day old - and certainly no excuses to do it to older ones.

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 03:55 PM
And by that post - I take it you were expecting a warning?

I hope you had a fantastic Easter day off yesterday :)

TheHumanTowel
04-21-2014, 04:11 PM
And the passive aggressive battle rages on

Mr_Shade
04-21-2014, 04:31 PM
I hope you had a fantastic Easter day off yesterday :)I was working, as you may know - but thanks for asking ;)

Ureh
04-21-2014, 05:19 PM
I think it should be an option too, for those that want it.

But I probably wouldn't touch it for long if it turned out to be a bit frustrating. Maybe it's my controller, but occasionally even with the outline, it'll switch to another target at the last moment and disrupt the streak. I'm guessing mistakes will be more frequent with the highlight turned off. Sometimes it's better to sacrifice a little "immersion" for a smoother playthrough.

AherasSTRG
04-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Everything, remove everything. Just leave a white image. I want my game to be as immersive as possible. All those textures and those NPCs and the ******* lights! They all break my immersion. White makes me stay focused.

Subject J80
04-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Just do a Thief job, add all levels of customisation to the game. Allow it to be turned off for the people who want to turn it off. Simples.

LoyalACFan
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Thank you.

I will reinstate the deleted post's - since some seem to think I like posting for the sake of it - and it was bumped again 15 minutes after that.. so everyone can see why I posted the warning…

There is zero excuse to bump a thread which is still under a day old - and certainly no excuses to do it to older ones.

That's why I was confused. When I clicked into this thread last night, neither of the "bump" posts were showing. Thanks for clarifying.

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Without a white outline, how will we know what target we are going to assassinate when our main target is surrounded by enemies? It gets hard to tell, and it's annoying that we can't lock onto our targets anymore because that would help a lot in these situations. This was especially annoying in the assassinations of The Commodre and Julian 'sexy' Du Casse - as they were surrounded by guards and ever on the move, making it very hard to find the right position to assassinate.

lothario-da-be
04-21-2014, 07:46 PM
I want seperate SSI for combat, stealth and naval. This stuff can be quite irritating. I don't want it and combat, but I do for stealth. Then I do naval and have to turn it on again because naval is so much more fun with it.

GunnerGalactico
04-21-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing mistakes will be more frequent with the highlight turned off. Sometimes it's better to sacrifice a little "immersion" for a smoother playthrough.

Without a white outline, how will we know what target we are going to assassinate when our main target is surrounded by enemies? It gets hard to tell, and it's annoying that we can't lock onto our targets anymore because that would help a lot in these situations. This was especially annoying in the assassinations of The Commodre and Julian 'sexy' Du Casse - as they were surrounded by guards and ever on the move, making it very hard to find the right position to assassinate.

Completely agreed :)

I kind of prefer the white outline for stealth assassinations. It's easy to make mistakes when there are moving targets.

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Well that is what we have on/off options for.

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Well that is what we have on/off options for.

Yes but the targeting being a imprecise and unclear isn't more 'challenging' or 'immersive' but an irritating flaw in the gameplay. I like to play without the HUD but this was an issue.

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Yes but the targeting being a imprecise and unclear isn't more 'challenging' or 'immersive' but an irritating flaw in the gameplay. I like to play without the HUD but this was an issue.

Not really. There are plenty of other 3rd person action "melee" games that have no sort of highlight. The ONLY issue I see with no highlight regards air assassinations.

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Not really. There are plenty of other 3rd person action "melee" games that have no sort of highlight. The ONLY issue I see with no highlight regards air assassinations.

Which is precisely what I'm talking about - in the Assassinations of The Commodore and Julian Du Casse you have to air assassinate for full synch. What's annoying is that they are always surrounded by clumps of guards and even if you're in a position to assassinate him, you'll just have to take a chance and you'll likely kill whoever's closest out of the 5 or so enemies, thereby missing the target and losing synch - gameplay flaw, clear and simple. This would be solved by a lock-on mechanic.

GunnerGalactico
04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
This would be solved by a lock-on mechanic.

In the first AC right up to Revelations, when you tap the button once to lock-on to an enemy... atleast it stayed locked-on to that specific target and not change when an enemy moved about. Like Wolfmeister said, if people want that option to have it on or off... it's up to them. :)

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 08:37 PM
In the first AC right up to Revelations, when you tap the button once to lock-on to an enemy... atleast it stayed locked-on to that specific target and not change when an enemy moved about. Like Wolfmeister said, if people want that option to have it on or off... it's up to them. :)

I want auto targeting off but manual targeting reintroduced.

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Which is precisely what I'm talking about - in the Assassinations of The Commodore and Julian Du Casse you have to air assassinate for full synch. What's annoying is that they are always surrounded by clumps of guards and even if you're in a position to assassinate him, you'll just have to take a chance and you'll likely kill whoever's closest out of the 5 or so enemies, thereby missing the target and losing synch - gameplay flaw, clear and simple. This would be solved by a lock-on mechanic.

Yeah and without a mini map you will not know where to go during missions. Without a notoriety symbol you won't know how notorious you are. Without a health bar you are blind to how much life you have left. Getting rid of HUD elements always has some sort of backfire. But to be honest, the only time when you need to worry bout exactly who you are air assassinating is during certain assassination missions that require air assassinations, which would likely not occur too often

GunnerGalactico
04-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Yeah and without a mini map you will not know where to go during missions. Without a notoriety symbol you won't know how notorious you are. Without a health bar you are blind to how much life you have left. Getting rid of HUD elements always has some sort of backfire. But to be honest, the only time when you need to worry bout exactly who you are air assassinating is during certain assassination missions that require air assassinations, which would likely not occur too often

* That is precisely why you need the manual targeting.

I do air assassinations all the time, not necessarily during missions. :)

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Figuring out where to go is fun, you can perceive notoriety from the guards a aggression. Get hit too much, you'll know you'll die soon. They aren't in your face but the systems still work. When you can't complete an objective because something is out of your control when it WOULDN'T be out of your control if a mechanic was there to make the task fair and precise then it's going to be frustrating. I'm talking about when your target is literally right below you, you can definitely reach them - but some guard is in the way. You'll kill him instead of your target even though the Assassin could perfectly well do the task you wanted to. This would be solved by a lock on mechanic. For the second time. And I do want auto targeting off, I voted yes - just want manual lock on.

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Figuring out where to go is fun, you can perceive notoriety from the guards a aggression. Get hit too much, you'll know you'll die soon. They aren't in your face but the systems still work. When you can't complete an objective because something is out of your control when it WOULDN'T be out of your control if a mechanic was there to make the task fair and precise then it's going to be frustrating. I'm talking about when your target is literally right below you, you can definitely reach them - but some guard is in the way. You'll kill him instead of your target even though the Assassin could perfectly well do the task you wanted to. This would be solved by a lock on mechanic. For the second time. And I do want auto targeting off, I voted yes - just want manual lock on.

But that would get rid of free aiming, something that is needed in AC3.

Freeaiming does not make it a 3rd person shooter game by default. It just adds more control to the character. Nothing bad about it. Just anticipating people's reprucussions.

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
But that would get rid of free aiming, something that is needed in AC3.

Freeaiming does not make it a 3rd person shooter game by default. It just adds more control to the character. Nothing bad about it. Just anticipating people's reprucussions.

Meet in the middle. A lock on mechanic for assassinations only, since you can't really free aim such a thing anyway...

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Meet in the middle. A lock on mechanic for assassinations only, since you can't really free aim such a thing anyway...

Well yes but what button layout would allow for both locking on and freeaim? They both use the same button. And what if you are standing over a guard and mean to shoot them but it instead locks on?

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Well yes but what button layout would allow for both locking on and freeaim? They both use the same button. And what if you are standing over a guard and mean to shoot them but it instead locks on?

Make it contextual. If you have a gun out, you free aim instead of locking on. Quick fire can still be available and you can choose whether to have a a highlight or not.

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Make it contextual. If you have a gun out, you free aim instead of locking on. Quick fire can still be available and you can choose whether to have a a highlight or not.

That will make some serious issues. People wanting to do an air assassination and not because they forgot they have the gun equipped.

It even seems that middle earth Shadow or mordor has air assassinations and no sort of highlight system. I am sure that there is some way to make it work.

Shahkulu101
04-21-2014, 10:41 PM
That will make some serious issues. People wanting to do an air assassination and not because they forgot they have the gun equipped.

It even seems that middle earth Shadow or mordor has air assassinations and no sort of highlight system. I am sure that there is some way to make it work.

What's R3 and L3 used for? Maybe those?

Wolfmeister1010
04-21-2014, 10:56 PM
What's R3 and L3 used for? Maybe those?

Youre right!!

R3 should be used for crouching, and the L1 was used for location info in AC4. That shiuld be replaced by lock on.

L3 is eagle vision

m4r-k7
10-23-2015, 10:05 PM
So is this possible in Syndicate? I am sure I saw a video with no HUD on and there were no enemy highlights.

Wolfmeister1010
10-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Yes, but it is like Unity. There is no separate option to remove it. You have to remove all HUD aspects and then turn on the ones you want