PDA

View Full Version : Historical Inaccuracies in Assassin's Creed

marvelfannumber
04-20-2014, 01:32 AM
Ok to start off I think most of us are aware that AC is not meant to be a 100% accurate historical simulation. However after replaying the series recently, I thought this could be a fun topic where we can discuss our oh so important historical nitpicks or pet peeves within the series.

On a sidenote to keep the thread more interesting, let's try to avoid the obvious "This random person was not killed by an assassin" or "Assassin's/Templars were not present during this time", because that would be quite stale.

I guess I shall start with one of the things I noticed:

In ACII and Brotherhood one might notice that the architecture looks a bit off for the renaissance. In fact alot of the buildings are of Baroque style and were built much after Ezio's time. This was apperantly added in Brotherhood to make the city more distinct from ACII's cities:

http://i.imgur.com/0I5sb5E.jpg

Locopells
04-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Lack of the Baptistery in Florence. Kinda major, though they reckoned they couldn't make it work for some reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Baptistery

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Battistero_Firenze.jpg

Shahkulu101
04-20-2014, 03:11 AM
the existence of assassins and templars

DumbGamerTag94
04-20-2014, 03:27 AM
How about how they in lcreased the vertical scale of every city for parkour reasons. Went to New York recently and saw one of the Churches that was in the game and was amazed at just how much bigger they made it in the game. I'm interested to see how over exaggerated many of the other cities are

marvelfannumber
04-20-2014, 04:09 AM
the existence of assassins and templars

I like you

JustPlainQuirky
04-20-2014, 04:14 AM
Everything Charles Lee.

I almost hated the guy. But when I found out Haytham was basically real-life charles lee and charles lee wasn't, my jimmies were maximum rustled.

DumbGamerTag94
04-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Everything Charles Lee.

I almost hated the guy. But when I found out Haytham was basically real-life charles lee and charles lee wasn't, my jimmies were maximum rustled.

I mean at least they nailed the Grumpy and known for not bathing part lol. If only they would have shown his real life obsession with dogs too. That would have been good. N I really don't see how he is much different from Hahtham at all in the game even? They are very simmilar people so Idk what ur talking about Haytham being more like the real Charles lee when they practically have the same characteristics.

eagleforlife1
04-20-2014, 08:04 AM
* Robert de Sable was apparently an old man
* de Sable died two years after his death in AC
* Cesare Borgia wore a mask to hide facial scars he got from syphilis
* Prince Ahmet died in 1513; not 1512

oliacr
04-20-2014, 09:30 AM
These inaccuracies never bothered me since AC is the best historical fiction action-adventure open world game that I've ever played. So I can accept a few inaccuracies or mistakes.

Locopells
04-20-2014, 11:25 AM
* Robert de Sable was apparently an old man
* de Sable died two years after his death in AC
* Cesare Borgia wore a mask to hide facial scars he got from syphilis
* Prince Ahmet died in 1513; not 1512

They're getting better - Woodes Rogers mot actually dying when we 'kill' him, for example. Maybe the same could be said for RdS and PA - we never actually see PA die after all...

Shahkulu101
04-20-2014, 11:29 AM
They're getting better - Woodes Rogers mot actually dying when we 'kill' him, for example. Maybe the same could be said for RdS and PA - we never actually see PA die after all...

Always the off chance there was a haystack at the bottom of that abyss...

ze_topazio
04-20-2014, 12:38 PM
The red and yellow flag the Spanish ships use was not created until more or less 70 years later.

The secondary smaller flag in the Portuguese ships is the modern flag of the Chief of Staff of the Navy, a flag created in the XX century.

If my memory serves me right in AC1 you could find Ottoman flags.

Roberts attack on forty something ships happened in the bay of todos os santos in front of the city of São Salvador in Brazil and not in the middle of the Caribbean, Roberts had no base in the Príncipe island and the final battle did not happened there, the fort and city on that island did not look like that at all, the Portuguese did not use a tribal style to build their forts and they did not used British colonial architecture on their cities.

Pretty much all guards in this series look way more fancy than they would look like in real life, other than the redcoats and Patriot soldiers in AC3, all the others are highly fictionalized and full of inaccuracies in their outfits.

That's all I can remember at the moment.

Megas_Doux
04-20-2014, 03:01 PM
In terms of architecture, there are many, the thing thing is that I do not mind......

AC I

Acre having a gargantuan XIV gothic Cathedral. If anything, It should have been Romanesque, like this:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/96948605.jpg

The Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem was not golden back in the day.

AC II

The Baptistery is way older that the cathedral itself, and it was not in the game.

ACB

Rome was pretty similar to Florence, the Baroque style came 80 years later.

ACR

Hagia Sophia did not have the four minarets in 1511.

AC IV

The Cathedral in la Habana was not built until 1745.

RinoTheBouncer
04-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Interesting stuff, everyone. I just hope they do another historical inaccuracy and give us the Eiffel Tower in AC Unity.

DumbGamerTag94
04-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Interesting stuff, everyone. I just hope they do another historical inaccuracy and give us the Eiffel Tower in AC Unity.

I really hope they do not. The Eiffel Tower is from the 1870s or so nearly 100 years after the French Revolution and not even the same or simmilar in style to the time period. They did te baroque thing because it looked simmilar to reniassance style, the church in AC4 because it was in a simmilar architecture style as the buildings around it. And what stuff was added or missing in previous games is all add ons or missing parts of buildings that at least were around or could have been around at that time.

The Eiffel Tower is entirely steel and features elevators for cryin out loud. Bolted and riveted together with machined peices. The thing has lighting and elevators that run on electricity(original to construction). It's way too much of an anachronism to be in the game. The church in AC4 was ok the missing baptistery in AC2 was acceptable, but Eiffel Tower is wayyyy to far of a stretch for me. If it's in at all it should be climbable in a modern day sequence or something

marvelfannumber
04-20-2014, 09:05 PM
^^
Indeed, while most people probably won't notice the missing bapistery or the cathdral in Acre, almost everyone will notice this. The Eiffel Tower is one of, if not THE most famous man made structure ever made, so let's just say that people would easily notice that. So in conclusion, it would be really dumb.

Megas_Doux
04-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Unlike the previous ones, including the Eiffel Tower would be UTTER nonsense.

oliacr
04-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Unlike the previous ones, including the Eiffel Tower would be UTTER nonsense.

Agreed.

eagleforlife1
04-21-2014, 08:44 AM
In real life Micheletto was assassinated in Milan in January 1507. Whereas in AC lore Cesare shot him in the face in Valencia.

Locopells
04-21-2014, 12:04 PM
^^
Indeed, while most people probably won't notice the missing bapistery or the cathdral in Acre, almost everyone will notice this. The Eiffel Tower is one of, if not THE most famous man made structure ever made, so let's just say that people would easily notice that. So in conclusion, it would be really dumb.

Yeah, modern day only...

ze_topazio
04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
I already climbed the Eiffel tower in the Saboteur, it was nice.

DumbGamerTag94
04-21-2014, 01:19 PM
I already climbed the Eiffel tower in the Saboteur, it was nice.

Exactly if people want to climb the Eiffel Tower get that game(I thought it was excellent by the way). Get your full there and don't try to force it into 1780s Paris. Where it would be a horrible immersion breaker because it'd be such a horribly blatant anachronism

But Sabateour though. I give that game a solid 8 or 9 out of 10. Good stuff

ze_topazio
04-21-2014, 02:41 PM
The Saboteur is a really good game.

AherasSTRG
04-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Revelations gives the player the impression that Janissaries, the elite force of the Ottoman army, were actually well trained Ottomans.

In reality, they were Christians abducted from their families at a young age and turned into Muslim fanatics through the course of a long and painful training. When their training was complete, they were sent to complete tasks (like bloody tax collection) in their motherland to determine whether they were savage enough to serve in the Imperial army.

I-Like-Pie45
04-21-2014, 03:20 PM
putting the eiffel tower in AC: Unity would be equivalent to adding the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and the World Trade Center to colonial NY in AC3

ze_topazio
04-21-2014, 03:29 PM
They should have included the statue of liberty in the King Washington thing, it was illusion created by the apple of eden anyway, might as well include NY most recognizable monument, I have always wanted to climb it.

DumbGamerTag94
04-21-2014, 03:49 PM
putting the eiffel tower in AC: Unity would be equivalent to adding the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and the World Trade Center to colonial NY in AC3

^^^this^^^. Well said!

guardian_titan
04-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Well, not so much the Statue of Liberty as the Statue of Washington. Or the Statue of Domination perhaps.

AC3Charles Lee wasn't in the US in either 1760 when Ziio died or 1770 when the Boston Massacre occurred. He was in Europe both times. If he did skip out on the Portuguese military to be in the US either time, chances are he would've been hanged for desertion.

Charles Lee had family with him in the US (2 cousins). One died at Braddock's Expedition, the other in Philadelphia. Neither are mentioned (not even in Forsaken).

Charles Lee had a Mohawk wife and twins although names are unknown. None are mentioned in the game.

Charles Lee lost 2 fingers in a duel while he was serving in Europe yet retains all of them in the game.

Charles Lee had a thing for Pomeranians. Three he had were named Father, Son, and Ghost apparently. And it was rare for him to not have at least one chasing after him at a given point in time.

Charles Lee was quite eccentric. He divided his house at Prato Rio using chalk rather than walls. Would've been a funny conversation between Haytham and Charles in Forsaken to explain why he would do so.

Charles Lee died in Philadelphia in real life but dies in Monmouth in the game.

(I did a more thorough Charles Lee write up in a previous post I made. Reposted to tumblr: http://guardiantitan.tumblr.com/post/74843123835/an-insight-into-charles-lee)

Some historical houses apparently aren't located where they're supposed to be in AC3 although I forgot which ones.

Davenport is supposedly where modern Rockport, MA is (called Sandy Bay at the time of AC3) yet the geography doesn't match up no matter how you turn or flip the AC3 map.

There's a lighthouse that's off the coast of Rockport (that did exist at the time) on a large island and a second island nearby. The lighthouse keeper and his family were evacuated from the lighthouse during the Revolution. None of this is in the game.

While traveling to Davenport from Boston by land, you should pass through Gloucester, MA as well as an unofficial town called Dog Town (not really named at the time) yet neither are in game or even suggested.

Distances are incredibly squashed and dates are often inaccurate as a result. Connor's birthday is a massive one.

George Washington had massive dental problems likely due to the smallpox treatment when he was a child yet this is not eluded to in the game. Talking with them often caused him pain so he usually removed them when entertaining family and friends. The famous portrait of him on the dollar bill had him without his dentures and his cheeks stuffed with cotton to fill them out.

George Washington also had a thing for the ladies. Haytham never interacts with Washington outside of two brief moments (when Braddock died and again when Connor finds out Washington killed Ziio), but the two likely would've had interesting conversations. We got the Franklin women conversation after all.

There's a mention toward the end of the game when Connor moves through the New York tunnel before the fight with Haytham at Fort George that maybe George Washington should be sterilized to avoid another monarchy (something along those lines anyway). George Washington was sterile likely due to the smallpox treatment he got as a child. He never had children. He adopted two of Martha's children from her previous marriage and then adopted two of her grandchildren but never had any of his own. There is a story of him fathering a son with a slave, but so far that has not been proven. This is likely why he was so close to Lafayette. Lafayette was like a son he never had.

George Washington was rather tall (like 6'4" or something like that) and yet stands the same height as everyone else. I can understand regular crowds being the same height, but you think rather pivotal figures would be more varied.

Samuel Adams is portrayed too young. He would've been 50-60 during the main events of the game and yet not a speck of grey anywhere suggesting he's portrayed to be roughly half his real age. General rule: 50% grey by 50.

Paul Revere also looked a bit on the young side (would've been in his 40s during the game so should have had some grey).

Rather missed opportunity but no mention at all of Sir Henry Clinton, not even in passing by Washington.

Lafayette had multiple children during the course of the war with his wife in France (he apparently traveled back and forth) including a son named Georges Washington. No mention at all of how close Lafayette and Washington were.

Aquila should have a crew of 200-300 or so men and yet there only appears to be maybe 40-60 (assuming there's 1-2 men per each cannon). Likely a game limitation.

Haytham's eye color shifts from blue when he's playable to grey when we're playing Connor suggesting that his hair and eye textures are in the same file and someone just desaturated and lightened it. Otherwise, kind of suggests Haytham was starting to develop cataracts and was going blind.***
AC4In AC4, the Queen Anne's Stair is in the game in Nassau but yet wasn't built until the 1760s. This is mentioned by Abstergo to be in there on purpose. If that's possible, le tour Eiffel is very possible in Unity, although I would bet if it's in the game at all, it will either be on an MP map or part of the tutorial at the beginning ... if they go that route again.

Haytham's portrayed to be blonde at the end and yet is known to have black hair in AC3. People can go from blonde to brown with age, but not blonde to black without hair dye. Rather funny since the portrait of Haytham in AC4 you find in the modern day correctly has him with black hair.

Jenny is never mentioned by Haytham in Forsaken to go by Scott yet she emphasizes it in the AC4 ending. Given how she says it, I doubt Haytham would be too dense to notice that and not mention it.

Haytham mentions meeting Birch first at White's Chocolate House on his birthday yet if Birch had been working for Edward since 1723, how did Haytham not know him before 1733? Either Birch would've shown up at the house from time to time prior to 1733, Edward would've mentioned him in passing, or Jenny would've mentioned him since he was courting her. Yet not a peep until White's.

White's Chocolate House wasn't really a family friendly establishment (even if you ignore today's standards). It was notorious for betting and other unsavory matters. Men occasionally died there because others would rather place bets on their survival than call for a doctor. It later became a men's only club in Haytham's adult years and still is today. Unless Edward was doing eavesdropping using his family as a cover, he had no reason to bring his family to such a place.***

Not really an inconsistency, but The Beggar's Opera is partly seen in AC3 and eluded to in AC4 except the plot itself is never really mentioned. All we know is that parents complained about the play much like they do about TV and music today. Well, the play was satire on Robert Walpole, the guy who gave Edward his pardon at the end of the AC4 novel and introduced him to Tessa and Birch as well as the cousin to Duncan Walpole who Edward kills at the start of AC4. Main character of the play got multiple women pregnant during the course of the story before finally being allowed to marry the one he really wanted after a lot of comedy. A sequel was released but banned before it could be performed due to complaints from Walpole. Didn't premiere until the 1780s so something like 50 years later. Makes you wonder why Edward would go to see a play meant to insult the man who basically gave him a second chance at life.

LoyalACFan
04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
None of the guards in AC3 have the traditional queue hairstyle worn by soldiers in the 1700s.
The Pazzi weren't actually the ringleaders in the conspiracy to kill Lorenzo, Archbishop Salviati was.
Garnier de Naplouse fought in the Battle of Arsuf (and was supposedly a very gentle man).
Calico Jack's ship was called the Kingston, not the Royal Phoenix.
Piri Reis was 11 years younger than Ezio, though the game portrayed him as an old man.
The participants of the Boston Tea Party disguised themselves as Indians for the event.
Magical Roman space gods aren't real.

There are probably a lot more architectural ones, but I don't really know any off the top of my head other than the Florence baptistery, Acre and Havana cathedrals, and that staircase in Nassau.

DumbGamerTag94
04-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Charles Lee had family with him in the US (2 cousins). One died at Braddock's Expedition, the other in Philadelphia. Neither are mentioned (not even in Forsaken).

Charles Lee had a Mohawk wife and twins although names are unknown. None are mentioned in the game.

Charles Lee lost 2 fingers in a duel while he was serving in Europe yet retains all of them in the game.

Charles Lee had a thing for Pomeranians. Three he had were named Father, Son, and Ghost apparently. And it was rare for him to not have at least one chasing after him at a given point in time.

Charles Lee was quite eccentric. He divided his house at Prato Rio using chalk rather than walls. Would've been a funny conversation between Haytham and Charles in Forsaken to explain why he would do so.

I always found it was weird that they didn't make Charles anything like the real life counterpart, These things were very important parts of his personality and story and it was all left out in the game(granted the cousin at Braddock's expedition can be explained away because Charles is also there, or maybe in Europe during that sequence I don't remember, but he is not with Haytham, and we don't hear much from Charles for several years after so there's little reason to reference them.)

Davenport is supposedly where modern Rockport, MA is (called Sandy Bay at the time of AC3) yet the geography doesn't match up no matter how you turn or flip the AC3 map.

There's a lighthouse that's off the coast of Rockport (that did exist at the time) on a large island and a second island nearby. The lighthouse keeper and his family were evacuated from the lighthouse during the Revolution. None of this is in the game.

While traveling to Davenport from Boston by land, you should pass through Gloucester, MA as well as an unofficial town called Dog Town (not really named at the time) yet neither are in game or even suggested.

Distances are incredibly squashed

Well at the time the State of Maine was a part of Massachusetts so that may explain why Davenport Homestead seems to be in Maine rather than MA.

As for the rest of these issues they had to be done. There's no way they can make everything to scale and include every last little town village and lighthouse if they did so they would have to recreate every last inch of the Colonial US in the Entire North East, and then traveling from Boston to Monmouth New Jersey would take days of travel by horse which would make for an incredibly boring game. So this inaccuracy was intentional and really couldn't be avoided so that's not that big a deal.

And many of the towns and cities in AC3 including on the fast travel map are not where they are supposed to be the map is kind of screwy in that game but they had limited space to cram a lot of locations into so I cant blame them really.

Samuel Adams is portrayed too young. He would've been 50-60 during the main events of the game and yet not a speck of grey anywhere suggesting he's portrayed to be roughly half his real age. General rule: 50% grey by 50.

Paul Revere also looked a bit on the young side (would've been in his 40s during the game so should have had some grey).

Revere looks like he could be 40 to me, and you don't need to have 50% Grey hair by 50 many people don't even have grey hair at 50 by lucky genes, and also these men most likely wore a wig or something too so that could be another way that could be explained.

Rather missed opportunity but no mention at all of Sir Henry Clinton, not even in passing by Washington.

Lafayette had multiple children during the course of the war with his wife in France (he apparently traveled back and forth) including a son named Georges Washington. No mention at all of how close Lafayette and Washington were.

Irrelevant to the story. And besides many complain we hung out with the historic figures too much anyway. We don't need every detail and life story.

Jenny is never mentioned by Haytham in Forsaken to go by Scott yet she emphasizes it in the AC4 ending. Given how she says it, I doubt Haytham would be too dense to notice that and not mention it.

Haytham mentions meeting Birch first at White's Chocolate House on his birthday yet if Birch had been working for Edward since 1723, how did Haytham not know him before 1733? Either Birch would've shown up at the house from time to time prior to 1733, Edward would've mentioned him in passing, or Jenny would've mentioned him since he was courting her. Yet not a peep until White's.

White's Chocolate House wasn't really a family friendly establishment (even if you ignore today's standards). It was notorious for betting and other unsavory matters. Men occasionally died there because others would rather place bets on their survival than call for a doctor. It later became a men's only club in Haytham's adult years and still is today. Unless Edward was doing eavesdropping using his family as a cover, he had no reason to bring his family to such a place.

Forsaken was made before AC4 was even finished so its no surprise that there are inconsistencies since they made the prequel after the fact, its easier to stay consistent with writing if the timeline starts with the beginning instead of going back and writing the beginning later. And thankfully Forsaken is a book(and from what I've heard not a particularly good one) so the vast majority of players will never see this tale anyway because taking key plot points of a film or game series and putting them in a book that many don't even know about or even wish to read, is tantamount to saying "we want as few people as possible to know what's going on and we just weren't feeling responsible enough to have the entire story self contained within the game. what? should we have developed it for an extra year or something and actually done it right or nah?". Idk it just seems like laziness to me or that they were too greedy to just hold the game a little bit and include the entire story in game and smooth out the kinks.

N that's all I have to say about that- Forrest Gump :cool:

Megas_Doux
04-22-2014, 12:37 AM
There are probably a lot more architectural ones, but I don't really know any off the top of my head other than the Florence baptistery, Acre and Havana cathedrals, and that staircase in Nassau.

Florence´s huge and beautiful cathedral did not have its facade finished the way it is now, and showed in the game, until 1800 something.

ze_topazio
04-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Random detail nobody cares about: In the Kenway fleet missions you can trade with Brazil and Cabo Verde, at the time, Portuguese colonies had their ports closed to foreign traders, they could only trade directly with Portugal.

DumbGamerTag94
04-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Random detail nobody cares about: In the Kenway fleet missions you can trade with Brazil and Cabo Verde, at the time, Portuguese colonies had their ports closed to foreign traders, they could only trade directly with Portugal.

It's called smuggling Edward was a pirate after all. Colonies broke the grade rules all the time. The American colonies for example were supposed to only trade with Britain after a point, but they still smuggled goods in from France and Spain.

RinoTheBouncer
04-22-2014, 11:18 AM
I really hope they do not. The Eiffel Tower is from the 1870s or so nearly 100 years after the French Revolution and not even the same or simmilar in style to the time period. They did te baroque thing because it looked simmilar to reniassance style, the church in AC4 because it was in a simmilar architecture style as the buildings around it. And what stuff was added or missing in previous games is all add ons or missing parts of buildings that at least were around or could have been around at that time.

The Eiffel Tower is entirely steel and features elevators for cryin out loud. Bolted and riveted together with machined peices. The thing has lighting and elevators that run on electricity(original to construction). It's way too much of an anachronism to be in the game. The church in AC4 was ok the missing baptistery in AC2 was acceptable, but Eiffel Tower is wayyyy to far of a stretch for me. If it's in at all it should be climbable in a modern day sequence or something

I know, I just hope they don’t set the game in French Revolution. It could be set in france in 1850 and they make this inaccuracy or hell even in the 1870s. I mean how many chances are we gonna get to visit France and synch a viewpoint atop the Eiffel Tower?

marvelfannumber
04-22-2014, 12:16 PM
I know, I just hope they don’t set the game in French Revolution. It could be set in france in 1850 and they make this inaccuracy or hell even in the 1870s. I mean how many chances are we gonna get to visit France and synch a viewpoint atop the Eiffel Tower?

It can't be set during the 1870's because Paris in the leaked screens and trailer is clearly modelled after Pre-Haussmann Paris.

I think the trailer showing Versailles, a guillotine, 18th century weapons, the description saying "let them eat cake" etc. Pretty much tells us that Unity is going to take place in the French Revolution (And maybe early Napoleonic wars).

I really don't get why you want to climb the Eiffel Tower anyways, with the current parkour system it would be slow, tedious and boring and you would only ever want to climb it once. We could maybe jump off of it in a modern day section in this game (or a future game), but even that is unlikely considering the new direction the modern sections are taking.

LoyalACFan
04-22-2014, 12:41 PM
I know, I just hope they don’t set the game in French Revolution.

That ship has sailed. French Revolution it is. Guillotines? Class warfare? Juxtaposition of wealth with extreme poverty? C'mon. The teaser tells it all.

RinoTheBouncer
04-22-2014, 01:06 PM
What a wasted chance, then... They can do it in modern day if they’re smart enough to realize that nobody likes the first person modern day. But since they’re taking the ‘Let’s make it as mainstream as possible’ approach, no good is coming from it.

alientraveller
04-22-2014, 01:41 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4893e6a4ec112673ad7f5996cfab0668/tumblr_mgp9qkEvX71s3yph0o1_500.gif

LoyalACFan
04-22-2014, 09:46 PM
What a wasted chance, then... They can do it in modern day if they’re smart enough to realize that nobody likes the first person modern day. But since they’re taking the ‘Let’s make it as mainstream as possible’ approach, no good is coming from it.

I mean, I wouldn't rule out the Eiffel Tower completely... There's no way in hell it's going to be in the main story with Arno and as you said, the first person approach precludes the possibility of doing it in the modern day, but AC has thrown us curve-balls before. We could visit a later date as another ancestor for the express purpose of climbing the tower (say there's a POE on top or some bunk) or they could even do another alternate history add-on thing like King Washington. They added that huge-*** pyramid to New York, after all. Instead of an outright fantasy, it could be steampunk-themed... The whole basis for the steampunk genre is "road-not-taken" technology, so that could fit in with the idea that TOKW was an alternate trajectory of the future as predicted by Minerva.

Assassin_M
04-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Arabic names being treated like western names using the first name then last name format.
Altair Ibn la Ahad
Darim Ibn la Ahad

Ibn la Ahad is not a family name..

Not historical per say, but an inaccuracy nonetheless..

Wolfmeister1010
04-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Arabic names being treated like western names using the first name then last name format.
Altair Ibn la Ahad
Darim Ibn la Ahad

Ibn la Ahad is not a family name..

Not historical per say, but an inaccuracy nonetheless..
So how should Aitair's name be arranged?

Assassin_M
04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
So how should Aitair's name be arranged?
Ibn la Ahad is most likely a name Altair gave to himself, since i don't think he'd come to be known by that seeing as his father was pretty well known in the sect.

Altair's actual name would be Altair ibn (son of) Umar. Darim would be Darim Ibn Altair ibn Umar or just end it at ibn Altair...also, some people think that since Maria is Altair's wife, she takes his last name (which is incorrect in of itself) That is a western tradition, not an Arab one...

Locopells
04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
I mean, I wouldn't rule out the Eiffel Tower completely... There's no way in hell it's going to be in the main story with Arno and as you said, the first person approach precludes the possibility of doing it in the modern day, but AC has thrown us curve-balls before. We could visit a later date as another ancestor for the express purpose of climbing the tower (say there's a POE on top or some bunk) or they could even do another alternate history add-on thing like King Washington. They added that huge-*** pyramid to New York, after all. Instead of an outright fantasy, it could be steampunk-themed... The whole basis for the steampunk genre is "road-not-taken" technology, so that could fit in with the idea that TOKW was an alternate trajectory of the future as predicted by Minerva.

Now that I like - steampunk fan, right here...and I just watched the 2011 Three Musketeers...

cawatrooper9
04-23-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm having trouble find the original article that I read, but I remember that the real-life historical counterpart to Sister Teodora from ACII was actually born around half a century after the events of the game. Strangely enough, her sexy nun gimmick was actually pretty spot on, though.