PDA

View Full Version : The Assassin's Creed Cities Elimination Game, Round I [AC I]

frodrigues55
04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Hi. :)

I'm certain we have had "best cities" threads a bunch of times, but as it may be a while until the next pieces of info on the new games comes up, I thought why not make a new game.

Basically, there's nothing special on rules or something. Each round will feature a new game so we can pick a favorite city of each one of them (I'm not quite sure what to make for Brotherhood, though). Last round will put favorite cities against each other.

I'm going to make it a poll, but it would be cooler if everyone put the reasons why they picked each city over the others. This is a forum after all, so debating over your choice e is what I expect to move this game foward (unless it flops lol).

Round I is gonna be opened until Wednesday. :o

Options are in the poll and they are:

Masyaf
http://i62.tinypic.com/5wqja.jpg

Kingdom
http://i59.tinypic.com/2u7oy6f.jpg

Damascus
http://i59.tinypic.com/j7421u.jpg

Acre
http://i60.tinypic.com/2vvq834.jpg

Jerusalem
http://i59.tinypic.com/116j76d.jpg

Farlander1991
04-13-2014, 03:19 PM
(I'm not quite sure what to make for Brotherhood, though)

Well, technically Brotherhood has got more than one town/city (though they feature as much as Rome in AC2 or Charelston in AC3 or another Charles-Towne in AC4, so... not sure how that counts).

I would propose to merge Rome in AC2, seeing how it was in AC2 anyway and AC2 and ACB have this feeling of being one game.

On the topic, my favourite AC1 city is Acre. I think the Cathedral is my favourite landmark in all of the AC games so far, I love the gloomy after-siege atmosphere, the 'detective' theme from Acre is my favourite one (especially the part that starts at 1:43 in this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hr5Z7F2RK8), for some reason I really-really like that rhythmic part, can't really argument why, there's just something awesome about it, especially while going through the crowd tracking a target or things like that), and I think it's the most varied city in the game. Not only has it got different districts, but also three distinct guard groups, architecture of different cultures, and also destruction in certain parts of town.

EDIT: Btw, props for making this round-based instead of putting all games together and leaving arbitrarily cities out of it (due to poll limit), and props for keeping the Kingdom in :D

frodrigues55
04-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Well, technically Brotherhood has got more than one town/city (though they feature as much as Rome in AC2 or Charelston in AC3 or another Charles-Towne in AC4, so... not sure how that counts). I would propose to merge Rome in AC2, seeing how it was in AC2 anyway and AC2 and ACB have this feeling of being one game.

Yeah, I was thinking about merging it with AC2. I'm gonna bundle Freedom Cry with AC4 so I suppose it will be the same for ACB? Altough Rome really holds its own so I'm not sure combining it with AC2 would be fair for AC2's cities, but oh well, one day at a time lol.

On the topic, my favourite AC1 city is Acre. I think the Cathedral is my favourite landmark in all of the AC games so far, I love the gloomy after-siege atmosphere, the 'detective' theme from Acre is my favourite one (especially the part that starts at 1:43 in this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hr5Z7F2RK8), for some reason I really-really like that rhythmic part, can't really argument why, there's just something awesome about it, especially while going through the crowd tracking a target or things like that), and I think it's the most varied city in the game. Not only has it got different districts, but also three distinct guard groups, architecture of different cultures, and also destruction in certain parts of town.

I absolutely love Acre's ambience and feeling, and that Cathedral is seriously breathtaking! It's actually hard because all of the main cities are so full of life and detail, they seriously did a great job with them. I also like how Masyaf feels so mystic and normal at the same time, with the castle on top and the small comunity living life at the entrance.

When it comes down to my preference, I was torn between Acre and Damascus. I picked Damascus simply because of its colors and graphics. I hate what whatever filter they used for Acre and Jerusalem, making the game look dated and seriously washed out. The difference when you go from them do Damascus is really shocking, I wonder what they were thinking. So I picked Damascus simply because of that. If they had done Acre without the washed out look (while keeping its cold, darkish feeling), it would probably be my pick!

I'm indifferent to Jerusalem and I seriously hate Kingdom lol.

EDIT: Btw, props for making this round-based instead of putting all games together and leaving arbitrarily cities out of it (due to poll limit), and props for keeping the Kingdom in :D

Oh, thank you :o That's actually the reason why I thought about doing it round-based, it may give everyone's favorite a chance.

Jexx21
04-13-2014, 03:51 PM
I picked Masyaf. Although my second choice would be Damascus.

How are you going to handle ACR though? It only has two free-roam cities and I wouldn't really consider that much of a poll. I personally would just lump it in with AC2 and ACB, but let voters choose two cities instead of just one.

My picks for that would be Constantinople and Monterigionni/Cappadocia (not exactly sure).

Farlander1991
04-13-2014, 04:00 PM
It only has two free-roam cities and I wouldn't really consider that much of a poll. I personally would just lump it in with AC2 and ACB, but let voters choose two cities instead of just one.

As a possibility, ACB/ACR could be lumped in together, to keep the polls more or less the same size (AC2 poll would have like 8 cities, which is a lot more to choose from than with other games). Will be more similar to an AC4 poll where each city has got its own atmosphere.

AC1 - 5 (Masyaf, Kingdom, Acre, Jerusalem, Damascus)
AC2 - 5 (Monterrigioni, Florence, San Gimignano, Forli, Venice... and Appenine Mountains if we want? :D :D :D )
ACB/ACR - 3 (Rome, Constantinople, Cappadocia)
AC3 - 4 (Boston, New York, Frontier, Davenport Homestead)
AC4 - 5 (Havana, Kingston, Nassau, Port-au-Prince, Caribbean).

Megas_Doux
04-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Damascus!!!!!!

Then Acre, and dont get me wrong, I like Jerusalem, just not that much.

Perk89
04-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Well, technically Brotherhood has got more than one town/city (though they feature as much as Rome in AC2 or Charelston in AC3 or another Charles-Towne in AC4, so... not sure how that counts).

I would propose to merge Rome in AC2, seeing how it was in AC2 anyway and AC2 and ACB have this feeling of being one game.

Charles-Towne is Charleston and I don't remember it making an appearance in AC3.

Farlander1991
04-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Charles-Towne is Charleston and I don't remember it making an appearance in AC3.

Talking about a different Charlestown, the one that's near Boston (I think it's now part of Boston?), it's on the Bunker Hill map, and there's also a multiplayer map of it.

ACfan443
04-13-2014, 04:23 PM
I voted Damascus, beautiful city with a great colour palette, fantastic lighting, and a wonderfully immersive atmosphere. Masyaf/Acre are a close second.

Jexx21
04-13-2014, 04:26 PM
There's more than one Charles-Towne/Charlestown/Charleston. In AC3, Charlestown, Boston, was used because it is historically the town that was in the Battle of Bunker Hill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlestown,_Boston

Charleston, South Carolina is the one we see in AC4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston,_South_Carolina
Blackbeard did blockade it in real life for medicine.

On another note, the original name for Nassau was also Charles Town.

Rugterwyper32
04-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Acre, definitely. If the Kingdom had actual stuff to do and it had any sort of proper content, I'd go for that as I love the looks of the Kingdom overall, but it lacks that. So Acre it is.

SixKeys
04-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Nice pictures. :)

I love all of AC1's locations, so it's really hard to choose. Part of me wants to vote for Kingdom or Masyaf because those two encapsulate all my AC1 nostalgia. Objectively though, there's not a lot to do in them. My vote goes to Damascus. Love the music, the warm colors, the difference between the rich and poor districts, the landmarks, and the absence of too many rooftop guards so I can freerun to my heart's content.

inferno33222
04-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Psssst... just so you know your picture of Jerusalem is actually of Damascus.

Damascus is definitely my favorite city from AC1. I used to like Acre better, when I was younger (12) and I played AC1 at my cousin's house, but I actually think I was being racist when I played there... I liked it because it was full of Europeans :(. But Damascus has a good amount of color (for AC1), there's more to do than in Masayaf or Kingdom, and the architecture is great. Also, I love the Mid-Eastern feel that Jerusalem and Damascus have. Acre is so bland, gray, and boring to me now.

Farlander1991
04-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Psssst... just so you know your picture of Jerusalem is actually of Damascus.

Indeed. There was another picture in its place before that - it was actually Jerusalem.

SixKeys
04-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Here's one from Jerusalem, maybe replace the one in the OP?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/gravionGR/Assassins Creed/AssassinsCreed_Dx102009-09-2717-18-.jpg

SixKeys
04-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Another possibility:

http://www.realmofgaming.com/screenshots/xbox360/assassins-creed/Image00002.jpg

Farlander1991
04-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Another possibility:

http://www.realmofgaming.com/screenshots/xbox360/assassins-creed/Image00002.jpg

This is the one that was there before.

frodrigues55
04-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Ugh, I knew that picture was credited wrong. It lacked Jerusalem's greenish effect, but those two city's architeture seem similar to me at times, so I thought it was just me confused again. Thanks for pointing that out and for the sugestions, guys. Changed it back to the previous one Farlander mentioned.

How are you going to handle ACR though? It only has two free-roam cities and I wouldn't really consider that much of a poll.

As a possibility, ACB/ACR could be lumped in together, to keep the polls more or less the same size (AC2 poll would have like 8 cities, which is a lot more to choose from than with other games). Will be more similar to an AC4 poll where each city has got its own atmosphere.

AC1 - 5 (Masyaf, Kingdom, Acre, Jerusalem, Damascus)
AC2 - 5 (Monterrigioni, Florence, San Gimignano, Forli, Venice... and Appenine Mountains if we want? :D :D :D )
ACB/ACR - 3 (Rome, Constantinople, Cappadocia)
AC3 - 4 (Boston, New York, Frontier, Davenport Homestead)
AC4 - 5 (Havana, Kingston, Nassau, Port-au-Prince, Caribbean).

Sounds like a plan ;) I think I will squeeze Liberation's inside AC3 and Brotherhood's Leonardo Machines maps inside ACB/ACR, just to give them a chance.

Back to the topic - it's funny how everyone is talking about their favorite city and nobody mentioned Jerusalem yet even though that was winning the poll for a while. I'm curious to know why Jerusalem is a favorite - Acre seems to win people over with its dark atmosphere while Damascus has the advantage of the warm colors and no filter. There's nothing in Jerusalem that grabs my attention, especially because of the washed out colors that really pop up to me. I wanted to know a counter side for this, it's interesting to read other people's perspectives and see how we can also change ours.

frodrigues55
04-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Sorry, DP.

Kaschra
04-13-2014, 08:55 PM
My fave city in AC1 is Damascus. I love its warm atmosphere.

ACfan443
04-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Masyaf
http://i62.tinypic.com/5wqja.jpg

Kingdom
http://i59.tinypic.com/2u7oy6f.jpg

Damascus
http://i59.tinypic.com/j7421u.jpg

Acre
http://i60.tinypic.com/2vvq834.jpg

Jerusalem
http://i59.tinypic.com/116j76d.jpg

I can't stop looking at these images, AC1's world is simply breathtaking. There's such variety with the cities - each city is like a different flavour, and use of filters really helped achieve that effect, which is why I loved them (in AC1 only).

Shahkulu101
04-13-2014, 10:04 PM
I can't stop looking at these images, AC1's world is simply breathtaking. There's such variety with the cities - each city is like a different flavour, and use of filters really helped achieve that effect, which is why I loved them (in AC1 only).

Agreed, filters enhance AC1's cities. On the other hand, Venice is ruined by its ugly aqua filter and Forli ugliness is enhanced with an almost black and white colour scheme. I'm glad they're gone in the latest games.

GunnerGalactico
04-13-2014, 10:09 PM
My first choice is Damascus because it looks the most vibrant and colourful compared to Masayaf, Acre and Jerusalem.

My second favourite city is Acre because of its English style medieval architecture and eerie atmosphere.

ACfan443
04-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Agreed, filters enhance AC1's cities. On the other hand, Venice is ruined by its ugly aqua filter and Forli ugliness is enhanced with an almost black and white colour scheme. I'm glad they're gone in the latest games.

I personally liked Forli's colour scheme. Venice, however, I can agree with you on. The unsightly blue tint was totally unnecessary, it didn't really help capture the essence of the city at all. It gave it an odd washed out appearance whereas Venice itself is a vibrant, warm, and colourful place.

Someone commented a while back that AC3 subtly uses a filter to give it an intentional washed out look. Not entirely sure about the validity of that claim, but I wouldn't be surprised if it holds true.

Jexx21
04-13-2014, 11:39 PM
filters screwed AC1 and AC2's cities up.

Or maybe it wasn't the filter itself but rather some other weird factor that made the cities all look smoggy and dusty and blegh.

frodrigues55
04-14-2014, 12:44 AM
I don't know if it's just the filters, but Acre and Jerusalem look really really washed out (on PC at least), it seems like the brightness can't find the right balance. Damascus just look a world apart, it's hard to believe those cities are from the same game - Damascus looking absolutely stunning (the rich district is just breathtaking and a joy to explore) while the other two just look bad. Acre has an amazing atmosphere and architeture, I can't help but wonder how it would look if there wasn't that extra layer trying to cover its own colors.

Someone commented a while back that AC3 subtly uses a filter to give it an intentional washed out look. Not entirely sure about the validity of that claim, but I wouldn't be surprised if it holds true.

AC3's graphics are so weird - everything looks gorgeous until you get to the cities. They almost look the worst in the entire series. Although, that would be something to discuss on Round 4 I guess :p

Jexx21
04-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Lol, AC2 is easily the worst in the series in the graphics department, and AC3/AC4 are the best.

And it's really the difference in architecture. I find colonial architecture to be beautiful in it's own right, but I know that others think it's ugly. I can't fathom that, but hey, tastes.

Shahkulu101
04-14-2014, 12:57 AM
ACR trumps AC3 in my opinion. One of the most beautiful games I've ever seen, and technically quite impressive too.

Jexx21
04-14-2014, 01:20 AM
Meh, I don't agree.

Hmm..

Do you think that Unity will include tree-running? I dunno, I just think it would be weird to remove it.. I want there to be some kind of non-city free roam environment in Unity, personally. Maybe a mountain?

roostersrule2
04-14-2014, 02:18 AM
Lol, AC2 is easily the worst in the series in the graphics department, and AC3/AC4 are the best.

And it's really the difference in architecture. I find colonial architecture to be beautiful in it's own right, but I know that others think it's ugly. I can't fathom that, but hey, tastes.AC2's character models are definitely worse then AC1 but everything else is better IMO. Perhaps the lighting in Venice is not as good either, but that's due to the filter not having a good effect, contrary to Florence's where the filter improved the cities look.

ACR trumps AC3 in my opinion. One of the most beautiful games I've ever seen, and technically quite impressive too.Agreed, the colour palette is fantastic and the skyline and reflection on the water is amazing. Was such a beautiful city and game.

Shahkulu101
04-14-2014, 02:53 AM
AC2's character models are definitely worse then AC1 but everything else is better IMO. Perhaps the lighting in Venice is not as good either, but that's due to the filter not having a good effect, contrary to Florence's where the filter improved the cities look.

Agreed, the colour palette is fantastic and the skyline and reflection on the water is amazing. Was such a beautiful city and game.

And I could sit and stare at Ezio's robes for minutes at a time. Coupled with the beautiful ambient music, this makes Revelations one of my favourite games to just kinda do nothing in. Just walk around. Looking about. Going back to Constantinople every once in a while is fantastic.

king-hailz
04-14-2014, 03:40 AM
Well I chose Jerusalem as it has the golden mosque and the Al aqsa mosque which was the first time in an AC game where I was like this is SO detailed and that is because it was done perfectly!! Other than these I would have done damascus or masyaf.

Locopells
04-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Acre for me, I love climbing the castle and the cathedral towers and gazing out to see. Plus, messing around with boats in the harbour.

oliacr
04-14-2014, 02:18 PM
I forget how beautiful Damascus was. When you arrived there on horseback you saw the gate and you had a very nice view of the city.

Bastiaen
04-14-2014, 04:25 PM
I love the dark atmosphere Acre has. It feels so gritty. I remember the first time I got there i was just blown away by it.

joaomuas
04-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Definitely Acre. There's something about its atmosphere that just, I don't know, is awesome! Everything is so dark, black and gray being the dominant colors, and the fact that the Crusaders control the city give it a different look, I guess. Not to mention the fact that my favorite assassinations from AC1 are the three set in this city (Garnier de Naplouse, William of Montferrat and Sibrand).

Damascus is always pretty cool, has that Asian feel that I really love (it reminds me of Prince of Persia!). However, my vote goes straight into Acre.

frodrigues55
04-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Acre people are going in for Jerusalem's wigs :cool:

Assassin_M
04-15-2014, 01:32 AM
Who're we kidding? no matter what it boils down to, a city from AC II will win...everybody knows that. This just takes longer than a traditional poll with all the cities...

Jexx21
04-15-2014, 01:37 AM
I dunno, I hope that the poll maker just leaves it at the results of which city was the favorite from each game and doesn't match them against each other.

ACfan443
04-15-2014, 01:39 AM
Who're we kidding? no matter what it boils down to, a city from AC II will win...everybody knows that. This just takes longer than a traditional poll with all the cities...

I recall Constantinople winning in a few polls, and who knows, perhaps a city from AC4 might win.

frodrigues55
04-15-2014, 01:39 AM

I dunno, I hope that the poll maker just leaves it at the results of which city was the favorite from each game and doesn't match them against each other.

Last round will put all winners against each other :o But really, does it matter if a city from AC2 win, lol? That's the majority's favorite game so it may happen. Individual results from each game will still be there.

Assassin_M
04-15-2014, 01:44 AM
But really, does it matter if a city from AC2 win, lol?
Nope, it does not..i'm just saying that a poll where the winner is known is no fun...that's like making a poll pitting Connor against Ezio...EVERYBODY knows that Ezio will win so why bother? same case here

I recall Constantinople winning in a few polls, and who knows, perhaps a city from AC4 might win.
Nah, AC II is za best evar you heretic (that's the mentality around now)

probably Nostalgia..

frodrigues55
04-15-2014, 01:50 AM
Nope, it does not..i'm just saying that a poll where the winner is known is no fun...that's like making a poll pitting Connor against Ezio...EVERYBODY knows that Ezio will win so why bother? same case here

OK, thanks for posting?

Assassin_M
04-15-2014, 02:03 AM
OK, thanks for posting?
you're welcome. I'm sure everybody here has benefited from my infinite wisdom and unbearable cynicism.

Jexx21
04-15-2014, 02:04 AM
I think that Great Inagua will win. :)

I-Like-Pie45
04-15-2014, 02:15 AM
Philadelphia will win obvs

RinoTheBouncer
04-15-2014, 03:06 PM
AC1:

Masyaf is great. I love how it’s simple and dark. The complex where the Assassin’s train is just epic and large compared to the simple homes and markets. I wish we could revisit it somehow with a more interactive population and depth. I did love Damascus a lot, too, especially the rich district. It had it’s own charm.

AC2:

Monteriggioni is beautiful along with Florence. They really have a nice charm to them. I totally love them.

AC:B:

Rome was good. Though sometimes a bit boring since it’s the first time we’re confined to one city in AC.

AC:R:

Istanbul was so beautiful. I really love it. Definitely my favorite. I can feel the warmth as I move between the alleys, streets and watch the sunset.

ACIII:

The only good part was the Frontier. Nothing else was that special. All the cities looked the same and I personally don’t like the period whether in games or movies.

ACIV:

The Great Inagua was great. The rest were crazily similar

Kirokill
04-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Jerusalem,
Buildings, atmosphere, the gate, a bit more welcoming than brown Damascus.
and mostly like hailz said.

Well I chose Jerusalem as it has the golden mosque and the Al aqsa mosque which was the first time in an AC game where I was like this is SO detailed.

frodrigues55
04-15-2014, 04:19 PM
AC1:
Masyaf is great. I love how it’s simple and dark. The complex where the Assassin’s train is just epic and large compared to the simple homes and markets. I wish we could revisit it somehow with a more interactive population and depth. I did love Damascus a lot, too, especially the rich district. It had it’s own charm.

Yes! The feeling Masyaf has managed to capture breathes so much life into the order. I'm hoping for a game that shows the order at that perspective once again - a strong, ongoing organization.

lothario-da-be
04-15-2014, 04:27 PM
The pure beauty of Damascus is unmatched.

oliacr
04-15-2014, 05:41 PM
The pure beauty of Damascus is unmatched.

Just wait for Constantinople.

LoyalACFan
04-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Oddly, I barely even remember Damascus. Perhaps it's time I revisited AC1.

Anyway, I voted for Acre. Chasing Sibrand across the harbor remains one of my personal high points of the whole series, and that cathedral was just insanely epic.

DumbGamerTag94
04-15-2014, 09:28 PM
For me my favorite was Jerusalem. It was far more diverse IMO. I liked that it was far more colorful than the other cities.

To me Damascus was really nice too, but doesn't beat Jerusalem because Damascus just seemed to be one big Blob of Tan and Brown, sure the architecture was nice but it was all one type mid eastern so it felt rather dull, Acre IMO was terrible everything was that grey blue and it always seemed cloudy and dark, the Cathedral was the only thing that saved it for me that city was very dull and boring to me. Jerusalem has awesome landmarks like the Dome of the Rock, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Jewish Temples, Christian Churches, Islamic Mosques, Fortress walls, Cemeteries, Bazars, etc. It just felt far more diverse to me.

The only thing that hurt Jerusalem for me was the filter that attempted to make everything bland, but despite this the city is still the brightest, most colorful, and diverse IMO. If the filter were not there I am sure most people would agree it is the best of AC1

RinoTheBouncer
04-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Yes! The feeling Masyaf has managed to capture breathes so much life into the order. I'm hoping for a game that shows the order at that perspective once again - a strong, ongoing organization.

Yeah, exactly. And especially near the end of ACI, when Altair came back to see it turning into a dark version of itself, was epic. Not to mention the beauty, the warmth, the grandeur and the nostalgia that AC:R’s version had.

frodrigues55
04-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Round 1 is not closed, guys! That's for voting and commenting! :o Is there any way I can lock the poll?

Round 2 is now opened!

Yeah, exactly. And especially near the end of ACI, when Altair came back to see it turning into a dark version of itself, was epic. Not to mention the beauty, the warmth, the grandeur and the nostalgia that AC:R’s version had.

Going back to it in ACR was a work of beauty! I love when we revist locations like we did for Masyaf and Monterrigione in Brotherhood's present day. I hope they do it again for something else someday.

Farlander1991
04-16-2014, 01:34 PM
It's weird to me how most of the people loved Acre for its atmosphere (even if Damascus would go first) and yet somehow it turned out to be the third place.

frodrigues55
04-16-2014, 04:27 PM
It's weird to me how most of the people loved Acre for its atmosphere (even if Damascus would go first) and yet somehow it turned out to be the third place.

I was really surprised by it as well. It seems most people went for DAMASCUS then ACRE, or JERUSALEM then ACRE. But... where's all the people who voted for Jerusalem? Are they a secret cult of sorts? :p