PDA

View Full Version : 4/8 DLC - Dylan!

jgrantham7
04-07-2014, 06:09 PM
This just posted to Facebook:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/s526x395/1385026_673284636062549_805909323298390935_n.jpg

jgrantham7
04-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Since that's an image from the video to Subterranean Homesick Blues, I'm hopeful that's one of the songs.

Coincidentally, tomorrow is my birthday, so I consider this an excellent present.

as_uninvited
04-07-2014, 06:22 PM
but .... Def ... Dylan? ... poop

got to admit to a bit of disappointment after the speculation of it being Def Leppard. Don't plan on buying this, but it's a ton better than a lot of the more recent DLC packs.

dallasdave22
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Wow, Toy was wrong?

This will be another pass for me, can't imagine the bass lines will be very interesting...

eevilways
04-07-2014, 06:32 PM
but .... Def ... Dylan? ... poop

got to admit to a bit of disappointment after the speculation of it being Def Leppard. Don't plan on buying this, but it's a ton better than a lot of the more recent DLC packs.

I've been waiting for Def Leppard 5 pack since I found out they're doing (mostly) 5 packs of all on disc bands.

I will say though seems like every week or every other week the initial vague hint is always thought to be Def Leppard. :P

King of Sting20
04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Since my favorite Dylan songs are obscure, I am not holding out hope on having them on the DLC pack. :(

Danny-Ramone
04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Wow. Talk about a curve ball.

I think many will agree that Dylan is a legend. I'll probably pick this up. I'm not a great fan, but it'll be a change from the other stuff.

jgrantham7
04-07-2014, 06:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoRu1UE2eR0

as_uninvited
04-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Happy Birthday jgrantham7!! Enjoy your Dylan!

toymachinesh
04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Whoops!

MoldyRhyme94061
04-07-2014, 06:54 PM
The Facebook post also said: "How does it feel?". Definitely a reference to Like a Rolling Stone so I'm guessing we're getting that song. Not that it's much of a surprise lol. Should be a fun pack. Any hope for good bass lines? I enjoy Bob Dylan but don't remember any bass lines in his songs that stick out as difficult.

raynebc
04-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Bummer. Was looking forward to some Def.

flynlion
04-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Dylan is a great place to start if you wanna play Rock n Roll. Some of the most "legendary" tunes ever were Dylan covers :p

Bluesman25
04-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Any of the following will do me fine:

Subterranean homesick blues
Simple twist of fate
Don't think twice, it's alright
Tangled up in blue
Things have changed

zaxcv4321
04-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Not a Dylan fan, but Jimi Hendrix was.

I appreciate Dylan enough to buy in.

Stoopid_Trippin
04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I don't know any of his songs, I've just herd the covers by other bands. Does he have any good guitar and bass stuff? As far as i know he played a lot of chords and sang. Unless the songs are fun, sadly this may be the first DLC i have to pass on. Still, stoked that they are releasing on disc artist again. :)

CaliCasey
04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
First it was the beginning hint of last week (Misread as Fed Cats) which I thought was pointing to Def Leppard until more hints were released. Then this week with all the speculation and then boom surprise! It's Dylan! lol Thankfully I'm a fan of AFI and ol Bob or these would have been some tough weeks.

Gold_Jim
04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
I would rather have my ear drums gouged out by rabid squirrels than listen to Dylan sing one bar of his own stuff. I have admit that I love many songs he's written, but only when they were covered by other artists. I wasn't even aware that "To Make You Feel My Love" was his until I noticed the writing credits when Adele covered it. I thought it was a Garth Brooks song.

guitarman529
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I am with you PRS_Rocker. He is an amazing song writer but I don't like him as a singer. I am wondering if we even will get Def Leppard at the orginals not the remakes because of that war between them and Universal.

Danny-Ramone
04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I would rather have my ear drums gouged out by rabid squirrels than listen to Dylan sing one bar of his own stuff. I have admit that I love many songs he's written, but only when they were covered by other artists. I wasn't even aware that "To Make You Feel My Love" was his until I noticed the writing credits when Adele covered it. I thought it was a Garth Brooks song.

LOL. It could be worse though, imagine it being Neil Young

DanAmrich
04-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Several people guessed Dylan right off the bat in the Speculation thread, which surprised me -- like, how did you lock in on Dylan from those Twitter hints? I was mighty impressed.

(Greetings from Paris, BTW. I'm here for a few more days for a big, very helpful meeting.)

Danny-Ramone
04-07-2014, 09:58 PM
So what was the Josie thing about, Dan?

toymachinesh
04-07-2014, 10:01 PM

Meet me at the playground after school

dallasdave22
04-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Several people guessed Dylan right off the bat in the Speculation thread, which surprised me -- like, how did you lock in on Dylan from those Twitter hints? I was mighty impressed.

For me, I saw Paul's first hint (about Vegas). So one at a time I started entering one disk artists + vegas in google. If you enter bob dylan vegas the first link fits Paul's first hint.

Danny-Ramone
04-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Meet me at the playground after school

Are you going to sing to me in a whiney voice?

dallasdave22
04-07-2014, 10:03 PM

Not a fan of Neil Young, but wouldn't mind keep on rockin in the free world!

spaceboss
04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty stoked about this.

All the Mike Bloomfield era stuff is very interesting on guitar (Look him up if you don't know who he is. He is amazing.) If they include songs from the era where The Band played back-up, then those guitar and bass parts will be fun to play.

Bob Dylan certainly is legendary. I can see how he would be an acquired taste (at best) for many; a duet with him and Lemmy would sound like a woodworking class. Best poet in the biz though, and an insanely prolific songwriter.

toymachinesh
04-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Are you going to sing to me in a whiney voice?

You gonna get killed like I'm Cortez son

Danny-Ramone
04-07-2014, 10:17 PM
oh... :-(

DanAmrich
04-07-2014, 10:18 PM
So what was the Josie thing about, Dan?

As I said in the other thread -- just a GIF of Josie rockin' out. Everybody was commenting on what "legendary" meant so I went with the least legendary artist I could imagine as a joke...which, of course, isn't a good joke if I have to identify it as such.

I have an interest in puzzles and riddles so, believe me -- when I decide to start dropping cryptic hints, you will know. :)

DanAmrich
04-07-2014, 10:20 PM
oh... :-(

"I wanna live..." -- Neil Young, "Heart of Gold"

Danny-Ramone
04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BCTgMbLn_Q&feature=youtu.be

cungar1001
04-07-2014, 10:56 PM
I don't know any of his songs, I've just herd the covers by other bands. Does he have any good guitar and bass stuff? As far as i know he played a lot of chords and sang. Unless the songs are fun, sadly this may be the first DLC i have to pass on. Still, stoked that they are releasing on disc artist again. :)

I'm puzzled how anyone could be a fan of popular music and not know ANY Bob Dylan songs. :confused:

flynlion
04-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm puzzled how anyone could be a fan of popular music and not know ANY Bob Dylan songs. :confused:

I'm guessing that he knows a dozen or more, just didn't realize that they were written by Dylan :p Dylan wrote a lot more than just lyrics. I'm very curious to see what versions of what songs are in this pack, there's an awful lot to choose from.

rcole_sooner
04-07-2014, 11:01 PM
If they got Maggie's Farm in the pack, it'll be a 1st day buy for me.

...probably a few others could get me as well.

Brick235
04-07-2014, 11:43 PM

Thank you! Lol. I'll admit Neil and Bob (Ha!) are both extremely talented guys but I wish they had singers. Certain singers turn me off instantly and these are 2. I just can't really enjoy the rest of it.

Steel_Nirvana
04-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm not a Neil Young fan past the mid-70s, and I'm not a Dylan fan at all, so....

SeattleSauve
04-08-2014, 01:43 AM
So, now I feel like we all wasted time arguing over whether or not Def Leppard was legendary for nothing! :)

I'll keep an open mind relating to the Dylan pack. While I know Dylan was crazy influential, I don't think of his songs as ones I want to spend a lot of time on in RS, so I'll have to check out the charts when they come out.

Greenbrick2
04-08-2014, 02:48 AM
I won't cry about Def Leppard, but this is a definite pass for me, and I don't need to go look up any of these songs no matter which are picked. With the easy bass challenge for the week, this frees me up for working on originals or noodling along with Curtis Mayfield on Pandora.

PTrash13
04-08-2014, 03:47 AM
Very cool. Looking forward to see what songs are selected.

Duggle-SD
04-08-2014, 04:14 AM
Yay, I'll take some legendary Dylan. And if you want to sing along, just hold your nose to get the right sound. Or to play and sing at the same time, probably need to use a clothespin on the nose (kids are like "what's a clothespin?"). I like Neil Young too, so there.

BazzTard61
04-08-2014, 06:03 AM
Neil Young's Cinammon Girl is one of rocks great riffs

Hope they include some of the Band's era Dylan songs, but at least we finally have a creditable artist for DLC

PS wow Toy was w w w wrong

and Dan, we now know to ignore anything you post re DLC hehe, credibility zero

hiykeled
04-08-2014, 07:09 AM
wow another pass wow its been awhile since i have bought anything. i guess i will toss this out to people. whats the point of putting a song pack out filled with songs made up of three chord structures you can pull off the internet or like we use to learn them by ear. Yes there have been some simple songs put out that i did buy, islands in the sun, disarm but atleast those were part of packs. You can all talk about he was a great song writter blah blah blah but really how much of all along the watchtower was re-written by hendrix would you have been impressed by hendrixs version if he just played the main chords like dylan wrote it.

100% pass, if i wanted to play dylan songs i would just type the name of the song and chords into the internet.

tjdrico
04-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Well, we've already got Knockin' on Heaven's Door, so...

Like a Rolling Stone
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Lay Lady Lay
Mr. Tambourine Man

Dunno if any of them have bass parts or anything apart from chords. :D

BazzTard61
04-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Subterranean Homesick Blues

Like a Rolling Stone

Just Like a Woman

confirmed, from trr, can't complain, probably only released 3 songs knowing Bob, woulda liked I Shall Be Released and Maggie's Farm as well, but finally good choices, get ya harmoinicas out!!

bubka122
04-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I will most definitely buy these songs, only thing I'm afraid of is that they won't be fun to play since the way RS displays chords or rather the way it displays strumming patterns throws me off every time I try to play a song I haven't already heard a thousand times.

But then again I love Bobby D, as he likes to be called, so I will most def buy this pack!

First buy in what must be forever, if forever is little over a month

tjdrico
04-08-2014, 10:28 AM
I think Dylan's great. But I'm really only interested in the bass parts, so will get this if they seem interesting enough to me.

Brick235
04-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Looks like a 3 pack with these.

Play "Just Like A Woman", "Like A Rolling Stone", and "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan on any electric guitar.

edit - Just saw Bazztard's post. Guess I was slow. :)

serphim7
04-08-2014, 02:40 PM
I will probably pick it up, might not be that much fun to play, but at least the music is good:D

BazzTard61
04-08-2014, 02:58 PM
edit - Just saw Bazztard's post. Guess I was slow. :)

Ha Brick, I finally beat u at something hehe

flynlion
04-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Decisions decisions.....Dylan's music and lyrics are brilliant but his voice gets on my nerves :p I'll probably get one or two of these, might get all three if the videos look fun.

RSDAVE
04-08-2014, 05:12 PM
"All along the watchtower" would have been a great way to get Hendrix out of left field :p

But it's another pass for me

flynlion
04-08-2014, 06:15 PM
"All along the watchtower" would have been a great way to get Hendrix out of left field :p

But it's another pass for me

What? You like Hendrix and you're gonna pass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s5DnoEHAGI

MAng0r3
04-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Great DlC! Quit happy with this one.

What are the songs?

If we got anything including Mike Bloomfield that will be awesome. I was dreaming we would get Hendrix's rendition of Dylan's song :D

Moodyblues57
04-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Subterranean Homesick Blues

Like a Rolling Stone

Just Like a Woman

confirmed, from trr, can't complain, probably only released 3 songs knowing Bob, woulda liked I Shall Be Released and Maggie's Farm as well, but finally good choices, get ya harmoinicas out!!
Bought the pack! I agree with the comments about Dylan's voice, and I have to admit that I hate playing chord progressions (I can't even get beyond 87% mastery on Knockin' on Heaven's Door) :(. On the other hand, after weeks and weeks of bands I never heard of, I am compelled to buy this pack. But yeah, Watchtower would have been excellent, although I opine that the Dave Mason version is the best of the bunch!

BazzTard61
04-09-2014, 04:08 AM
wow, Dave Mason's version is better than Jimi's? will have to listen to it, u got a link? I must say, Jimi did it with minimal effects compared to what Dave has available to him, just sayin

Moodyblues57
04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
wow, Dave Mason's version is better than Jimi's? will have to listen to it, u got a link? I must say, Jimi did it with minimal effects compared to what Dave has available to him, just sayin
Haha, I know I speak heresy here, but I never was a fan of Hendrix's singing voice; he always sounds like he's stifling a yawn to me. I always thought that it would have been better if he had gotten his way early on and had someone else do the singing in his bands.

Youtube has a lot of videos of Mason doing Watchtower, most of them recent live versions. But the original studio recording from the 70s is my favorite.

A somewhat amusing anecdote probably colors my opinion. I went to see Dave Mason in the early 80s at a small venue in Chicago called The Park West. I was just a bit over-served, and was waiting in line for the mens' room before the show started. Standing behind me was this grubby-looking guy with a full beard, and wearing a red bandana on his head. He tapped me on the shoulder and muttered these unforgettable words: "That m*****f***** better play All Along the Watchtower! Yep, it was Dave Mason. I've seen him numerous times, and have been a big fan ever since! :cool:

daddy_felix
04-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Pack & Singles available on eu psn :)

Gold_Jim
04-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Haha, I know I speak heresy here, but I never was a fan of Hendrix's singing voice; he always sounds like he's stifling a yawn to me. I always thought that it would have been better if he had gotten his way early on and had someone else do the singing in his bands.

Youtube has a lot of videos of Mason doing Watchtower, most of them recent live versions. But the original studio recording from the 70s is my favorite.

A somewhat amusing anecdote probably colors my opinion. I went to see Dave Mason in the early 80s at a small venue in Chicago called The Park West. I was just a bit over-served, and was waiting in line for the mens' room before the show started. Standing behind me was this grubby-looking guy with a full beard, and wearing a red bandana on his head. He tapped me on the shoulder and muttered these unforgettable words: "That m*****f***** better play All Along the Watchtower! Yep, it was Dave Mason. I've seen him numerous times, and have been a big fan ever since! :cool:

Isn't that Dave Mason playing on Hendrix's track? If I remember right, that's him on acoustic 12 string. You get the best of both worlds there. :D

Moodyblues57
04-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Right you are, PRS! I think it was on an old King Biscuit Flour Hour interview that I heard Mason mention that he played acoustic with Hendrix on All Along the Watchtower. My first thought was, "There's an acoustic guitar in that song?" :o

zaxcv4321
04-09-2014, 07:09 PM
What? You like Hendrix and you're gonna pass?

Yeah, Hendrix was a huge Dylan fan. It was said by many that he would make his friends listen to Bob Dylan albums with him, and marvel at the songwriting and lyrics.

I worship at the temple of Hendrix, but never really got into Bob Dylan. I feel like I should, because of Jimi's infatuation. I can say that I have a healthy respect for Dylan's legacy.

With regards to Watchtower, I was really impressed by Michael Hedges version, which was as different as the Hendrix version as Hendrix's was from Dylan's.

serphim7
04-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Just got the pack and played SHB and Like A Rolling Stone a little, and I am not too impressed, rhythm is very simple and the SHB lead is erratic and random. LARS lead looks alright, haven't levelled it up all the way, but also not very exciting. Good songs, but mediocre guitar parts. HAvent tried Just like a woman yet.

Gold_Jim
04-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Right you are, PRS! I think it was on an old King Biscuit Flour Hour interview that I heard Mason mention that he played acoustic with Hendrix on All Along the Watchtower. My first thought was, "There's an acoustic guitar in that song?" :o

I had the same reaction the first time that I heard that. Then I sat with the song and listened, and sure enough, it jumps right out at you, like those photos you have to stare at to see another 3d image inside. LOL

kingratt
04-09-2014, 09:58 PM
If they got Maggie's Farm in the pack, it'll be a 1st day buy for me.

...probably a few others could get me as well.

Definite buy if it included Tangled Up In Blue, but now just a maybe.

BazzTard61
04-10-2014, 04:53 AM
even Please Mrs Henry off Basement Tapes woulda been more fun hehe

timnic999
04-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Definite buy if it included Tangled Up In Blue, but now just a maybe.

Great song, but a bass line even deadlier than Light My Fire.