PDA

View Full Version : ACU economy system

alientraveller
04-06-2014, 10:24 PM
The AC games' economy system reflect their settings, with the Ezio Trilogy emphasizing the new banking system while the previous games set in the 18th century emphasize trading. However, the French Revolution resulted from economic problems, so I wonder how Ubisoft will reflect this? Will gamers have to scrape up lost goods or steal bread to afford a new pistol or a fancy dye?

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Players have to trade stocks in the new stock market system, obviously.

Exciting stuff.

GunnerGalactico
04-06-2014, 10:37 PM
They might utilise a barter system. You might have to trade valuables to get money or obtain new items. I also think you might have to do small quests or errands to earn money like carry objects, deliver items, courier service etc.

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Assassin's Creed Unity, now with stealing from ​Thief. Steal objects and sell them on the black market to make enough money to buy stuff.

RatonhnhakeFan
04-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Whatever they do needs to be balanced/though-out. Otherwise you end up in a situation where you have so much money you don't need to do any side-quests or other stuff devs worked hard on.

GunnerGalactico
04-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Whatever they do needs to be balanced/though-out. Otherwise you end up in a situation where you have so much money you don't need to do any side-quests or other stuff devs worked hard on.

I only suggested those things because it might not be feasible to have a banking system like they did in AC2, ACB and ACR. The economy during the French Revolution was quite terrible.

Farlander1991
04-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Eh... honestly, I wouldn't mind if economy wouldn't exist at all.

Economy in Ezio's trilogy is a joke. You're rolling with money in pretty much every game with zero effort.
Economy in AC3 for some reason is mostly based on convoy systems and very uncomfortable homestead 'management' rather than the hunting mechanic as it should've been. Plus it's got such big loopholes that it's really easy to get rolling in so much money.
AC4 was the only one with a reasonable economy loop I think. I never felt I had too much money until I ran out of things to get, which, to be honest, at that point is understandable and reasonable, even though in theory it would be nice to have some sort of a constant economic loop.

But I don't think overall AC was successful with economy systems, and if ACU won't have one - I won't miss it, and if it will - I hope it will make sense within the game's systems (i.e. closer to the spirit of AC4, farther from the spirit of AC2/ACB/ACR and AC3).

RatonhnhakeFan
04-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Eh... honestly, I wouldn't mind if economy wouldn't exist at all.

Economy in Ezio's trilogy is a joke. You're rolling with money in pretty much every game with zero effort.
Economy in AC3 for some reason is mostly based on convoy systems and very uncomfortable homestead 'management' rather than the hunting mechanic as it should've been. Plus it's got such big loopholes that it's really easy to get rolling in so much money.
AC4 was the only one with a reasonable economy loop I think. I never felt I had too much money until I ran out of things to get, which, to be honest, at that point is understandable and reasonable, even though in theory it would be nice to have some sort of a constant economic loop.

But I don't think overall AC was successful with economy systems, and if ACU won't have one - I won't miss it, and if it will - I hope it will make sense within the game's systems (i.e. closer to the spirit of AC4, farther from the spirit of AC2/ACB/ACR and AC3).
AC3 system is a giant mess. None of the useful crafted items except for 1 convoy thing require any actual hunting, everything can be bought from Homestead. Hunting-exclusive materials are used to craft porcelain dolls and other useless stuff for Delivery fetch quests.... Not to mention that there's just too many Homestead missions (30+ !!!), by the time you get decent upgrade recipes and required crafters (and their level) you may as well already finish the game. Terrible User Interface doesn't help either. Ohh yeah and you have to go to the Homestead or to a shop to craft anything.

Black Flag solved some of the problems, available-anywhere crafting interface, clear progression, User Interface, material requirements and no barriers like whether you have the required Homestead crafter recruited AND on a appropirate level. However, once again all Edward upgrades can be just money-hatted, shops carry all hunting goods except only for the Bones so you never need to hunt at all really. At lest Jackdaw upgrades are a bit better as some require salvaged cargo from other ships.

DumbGamerTag94
04-07-2014, 12:26 AM
I think since money was scarce and everything was fairly chaotic they should use a barter type system, where you perform side quests for merchants/citizens in exchange for upgrades like weapons, outfits, etc. Basically they would be the ones paying you instead of you them. For example you help a man gather food or medicine for his family to help them survive the hard times, and in exchange he gives you the only thing of value he has....a sword he's had since his service in the 7 years war. Or you help a woman find a lost relative and she fixes or upgrades your cloak from a ragged old cloak, she sews and such and improves it to look new and sharp. Idk I just feel this type of favor/barter system would be better suited to the tough economic times of the French revolution.

ze_topazio
04-07-2014, 12:27 AM
AC1 has the best economy system.

Wolfmeister1010
04-07-2014, 12:41 AM
I wouldnt mind a more AC4 style economy, where instead of hunting and raiding ships to get resources to craft and get money, you would do side quests, help citizens, and raid enemy camps to get resources.

Also, hopefully this villa thing is true, cuz I LOVED the villa in AC2. It was the only renovation (across all games from AC2 to AC4) where you could truly see the transformation slowly and gradually. The atmosphere gets slightly lighter, the vines and growth slowly recedes, the puddles get cleaned up, the cracks on the floor and walls slowly clean up, more people appear.

Brotherhood added some nice touches like having the citizens walk around with their heads bowed in Borgia territory..but alas the transformation just wasn't the same.

Revelations was just a lazy version of Brotherhood, with no changes in the environment AT ALL with Renovation. AC3's renovation of the homestead was charming to me but the whole system was kinda a mess.

The renovation of the pirate hideout was okay..but there was zero depth to it, and not enough visual changes.

In unity, I want my hideout to be nothing more than a shack. Then, you rent out the land and more buildings get built, more people come. You renovate and pave the roads. You build walls. You hire guards to patrol the street. You set up a farm to gather income and animals begin to roam around. Make it have DEPTH.

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Any economy system they decide to implement is fine... as long as I can sell/create MORE THAN ONE ITEM AT A TIME!! :p

LoyalACFan
04-07-2014, 03:17 AM
I wouldnt mind a more AC4 style economy, where instead of hunting and raiding ships to get resources to craft and get money, you would do side quests, help citizens, and raid enemy camps to get resources.

Also, hopefully this villa thing is true, cuz I LOVED the villa in AC2. It was the only renovation (across all games from AC2 to AC4) where you could truly see the transformation slowly and gradually. The atmosphere gets slightly lighter, the vines and growth slowly recedes, the puddles get cleaned up, the cracks on the floor and walls slowly clean up, more people appear.

Brotherhood added some nice touches like having the citizens walk around with their heads bowed in Borgia territory..but alas the transformation just wasn't the same.

Revelations was just a lazy version of Brotherhood, with no changes in the environment AT ALL with Renovation. AC3's renovation of the homestead was charming to me but the whole system was kinda a mess.

The renovation of the pirate hideout was okay..but there was zero depth to it, and not enough visual changes.

In unity, I want my hideout to be nothing more than a shack. Then, you rent out the land and more buildings get built, more people come. You renovate and pave the roads. You build walls. You hire guards to patrol the street. You set up a farm to gather income and animals begin to roam around. Make it have DEPTH.

Agreed with everything here. Lame as it sounds, I'm really hoping for a robust villa/homestead gameplay loop. Even more in-depth than the AC2 one. I LOVE your ideas in the last paragraph there Wolfmeister; having upgrades that do different things for you would be incredible. AC2 had really nice visual upgrades, but functionally they only served one purpose; to get you more money, and you quickly run out of stuff to spend it on if you're as invested in the economy system as I was. Perhaps in ACU you could have one category of upgrades that bring in money for you (i.e. banks, infrastructure) one category of upgrades that defended your base from being attacked and overrun (think Den Defense only minus the annoying RTS gameplay; buying stuff like walls, guards, and cannons to drive off attacks) and another category that would unlock new items for you (shops, artisans).

Wolfmeister1010
04-07-2014, 03:41 AM
Agreed with everything here. Lame as it sounds, I'm really hoping for a robust villa/homestead gameplay loop. Even more in-depth than the AC2 one. I LOVE your ideas in the last paragraph there Wolfmeister; having upgrades that do different things for you would be incredible. AC2 had really nice visual upgrades, but functionally they only served one purpose; to get you more money, and you quickly run out of stuff to spend it on if you're as invested in the economy system as I was. Perhaps in ACU you could have one category of upgrades that bring in money for you (i.e. banks, infrastructure) one category of upgrades that defended your base from being attacked and overrun (think Den Defense only minus the annoying RTS gameplay; buying stuff like walls, guards, and cannons to drive off attacks) and another category that would unlock new items for you (shops, artisans).

Thank you very much for the kind words!! What you said wasn't lame at all!!

In fact..even though it kinda sucked that the villa renovation was only really good for aesthetics and getting money..it was still my favorite part of the game lol.

I would love to see an integration of all the things that made renovation great from all games like you said. We get the amazing visual upgrades like AC2, it can be attacked like in Revelations (but not den defense, like you actually fighting off waves or assassinating the enemy officer leading the raiders), and have it actually a good economic system. Like, instead of you having to pay for more buildings like in the past..you actually make money by renting out the land to artisans. Adding walls, paving roads, all that stuff is orgasmic to me lol.

Although it may be kinda unrealistic for a frenchman in that time to build his own little community from the ground up..but it would be fun as helll.