PDA

View Full Version : What happened to patrice desilets???

king-hailz
04-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Ok I was watching some assassins creed 2 interviews and was wondering why patrice desilets who was the director of ac2 never returned to make any other assassins creed game!! I mean in my opinion he made assassins creed what it is today.... and made my favorite game of all time!!! What happened!!!

deskp
04-06-2014, 01:58 PM
he left ubi to make a game at another studio, then ubisoft bought thats studio cancelled the game and patrice left or got fired.

Him andaubisoft are currently in some legal battle or seomthing.. Him returning to assassins creed will proapbly never happen.

kosmoscreed
04-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Ubisoft killed his career as game developer.

Shahkulu101
04-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Pretty much ^

I often wonder what he makes of the series now. You know what would be really fascinating? A Patrice podcast. He likely doesn't want to talk about his more...unsavory experiences with ubisoft though.

EDIT: My 'pretty much' comment was directed at deskp's post where he basically explained what happened - not the above oversimplification.

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Wow. That would suck if I left a company just for that company to buy the company I work at....

Sushiglutton
04-06-2014, 02:57 PM
There was an article published last month with a little more info: http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/17/what-really-happened-to-thqs-unfinished-games/2/

D.I.D.
04-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Still trying to win back the assets, code and rights to "1666" through legal routes, last I heard.

I haven't heard about him developing anything new, but I guess there wouldn't be a lot of point until he exhausts all legal options on the game he was producing.

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Poor guy.

Who ever decided to buy where he was working is just...smh

Shahkulu101
04-06-2014, 03:20 PM
There was an article published last month with a little more info: http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/17/what-really-happened-to-thqs-unfinished-games/2/

Read that article, then a few more about Desilets. ******* it I want to see 1666 come to light - the new Assassin's Creed - that sounds amazing. So disappointed by this whole situation, I don't think we'll hear about 1666 ever again.

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't like the fans over-adoration of him. I would have played 1666 but I really don't care if he was the director or not.

D.I.D.
04-06-2014, 05:50 PM
I don't like the fans over-adoration of him. I would have played 1666 but I really don't care if he was the director or not.

It's not just about AC. He was director of PoP: Sands of Time, which is the only reboot Prince Of Persia that isn't garbage, and more than not garbage, it had a superb emotional heart. This can't be all a coincidence.

Hans684
04-06-2014, 06:21 PM
It's not just about AC. He was director of PoP: Sands of Time, which is the only reboot Prince Of Persia that isn't garbage, and more than not garbage, it had a superb emotional heart. This can't be all a coincidence.

And the end of the day he will be the director(if possible) of a game that is going to be bad, success isn't going to last forever.

D.I.D.
04-06-2014, 06:29 PM
And the end of the day he will be the director(if possible) of a game that is going to be bad, success isn't going to last forever.

That's a really weird thing to say. It's as if you want to see things go wrong.

There's no reason to think 1666 will be bad, unless you've become so bizarrely obsessed with AC that you wish ruin on anything that might compete with it. The more projects he makes, the better he understands how to craft a successful project. If he is given back the level of control that the original contract afforded to him, the outlook for the game would be especially strong: more of a single person's vision, and less of AC's committee approach.

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 06:44 PM

It isn't but that doesn't mean that he's the only person that can make good games.

Hans684
04-06-2014, 06:50 PM
That's a really weird thing to say. It's as if you want to see things go wrong.

Wouldn't say weird but anyway, I don't want so see things go wrong either.

There's no reason to think 1666 will be bad, unless you've become so bizarrely obsessed with AC that you wish ruin on anything that might compete with it.

That's a really weird thing to say, I didn't even mention 1666 and nice label but I think AC needs more competition.

The more projects he makes, the better he understands how to craft a successful project.

He and his team to be correct but I get your point, experience speaks the most.

If he is given back the level of control that the original contract afforded to him, the outlook for the game would be especially strong: more of a single person's vision, and less of AC's committee approach.

I do agree directors should have more freedom/control, they are directing the making of games. That's how we got AC in the first place, POP: Assassins turned to Assassin's Creed. Not a bad thing at all, it would actually benefit the companies.

D.I.D.
04-06-2014, 06:52 PM
It isn't but that doesn't mean that he's the only person that can make good games.

I don't think anybody was suggesting that he was the only person who could possibly direct it, and we wouldn't be still buying ACs if we thought that way. But 1666 was his project, and whatever it would have been or will be is especially in need of his input, I think. You can easily imagine Portal 3 with no input from Kim Swift whatsoever, since she did such an incredible job with the first one that everyone knew exactly what the game was meant to be, and P2 involved so many extra people adding their creative stamps to it too. But if Kim Swift had been removed from the first Portal early in its development, then the game would have been certain to turn out entirely differently.

The problem isn't that Ubisoft is handing the project to someone else. It's simply gone, shelved, and it will never see the light of day unless the rights revert to him.

D.I.D.
04-06-2014, 06:56 PM
That's a really weird thing to say, I didn't even mention 1666 and nice label but I think AC needs more competition.

Oh I see. When you said he's going to direct a game that's going to be bad, I assumed you meant the game under discussion rather than a hypothetical game. Sorry about that!

I still disagree though. There are authors who've never made bad books, musicians who've never made bad albums, directors who've never made bad films, and game creators who've never made bad games. If anything, I'd say games have the best chance of a good hit rate since the bar is set rather a lot lower with games, and we accept things from them that we'd find unacceptable in other entertainment.

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I wasn't talking about 1666, I was talking about the AC games.

Hans684
04-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Oh I see. When you said he's going to direct a game that's going to be bad, I assumed you meant the game under discussion rather than a hypothetical game. Sorry about that!

No problem.

I still disagree though.

Agree to disagree.

There are authors who've never made bad books, musicians who've never made bad albums, directors who've never made bad films, and game creators who've never made bad games. If anything, I'd say games have the best chance of a good hit rate since the bar is set rather a lot lower with games, and we accept things from them that we'd find unacceptable in other entertainment.

And at the end of the day what someone consider good/bad is just an opinion.

Locopells
04-06-2014, 09:08 PM
And at the end of the day what someone consider good/bad is just an opinion.

Ain't that the truth...

I-Like-Pie45
04-06-2014, 09:11 PM
He was a leaf on the wind

Farlander1991
04-06-2014, 11:25 PM
He was a leaf on the wind

And we watched how he soared? :p :D

I-Like-Pie45
04-06-2014, 11:28 PM
and we watched how he soared? :p :d

Precisely.

Farlander1991
04-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Precisely.

Too late, I saw your first version of the reply :p

Soulid_Snake
04-07-2014, 12:01 AM
For the OP, Patrice was working as the director for AC:B, during which he left Ubisoft, which is probably why he wasn't credited for the game. Its sad 1666 probably won't see the light of day, hopefully a big company will snap up a man of his talents!

I-Like-Pie45
04-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Everyone seems to be going to Riot Games these days
Maybe that's where Patrice will end up

LieutenantRex
04-07-2014, 03:48 AM
Patrice was a fat, ungrateful man who got greedy after Ubisoft began opening more doors for AC. Patrice became selfish, forgetting about the company that helped him jumpstart his idea. He's the George Lucas of Assassin's Creed.

Wolfmeister1010
04-07-2014, 03:51 AM
Patrice was a fat, ungrateful man who got greedy after Ubisoft began opening more doors for AC. Patrice became selfish, forgetting about the company that helped him jumpstart his idea. He's the George Lucas of Assassin's Creed.

We still do not know the actual reason why he was fired after being reacquired by Ubisoft.

SixKeys
04-07-2014, 03:56 AM

Yves, is that you?

I-Like-Pie45
04-07-2014, 03:59 AM
I think Yves would have better things to do with his time than troll on message boards.

MiguelSanch2014
04-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Lol "Do you think he could possibly be involved in the Kennedy assassination in some way?"

"I do... now"

So many rumours.

Zafar1981
04-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Last year at E3 Yves CEO of Ubisoft told that we want our game good in quality and graphics which 1666 was not and we told Pat to work with us according to the company policy. But unfortunately both Patrice and Ubisoft management didn't come to a middle path so he got fired and 1666 is in limbo. Technically 1666 was only in initial stage and no where near the quarter of production. So result is Patrice destroyed his and 1666 only because of his arrogance.
I am also his big fan but I am also a professional worker and I know in cooperate sector you can't survive against business policy. This is why no other company is hiring him to work for them.
My only advice to him is that instead of suing Ubi resolve the issue in a professional way and find a way to get back in company.

overdidd
04-11-2014, 01:17 PM
If anybody is interested, you should really watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-JJKctyDrw

EDIT:
also VERY interesting (if you have some time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JbWCLezbLA

D.I.D.
04-11-2014, 06:17 PM
If anybody is interested [...]

Thanks a lot for those! He seems quite positive about the idea of getting 1666 back. I hope that's based on real progress in the dispute, and not just that he's having to put on a positive face for the public.

ze_topazio
04-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Patrice should join Platinum Games, they always do whatever they want not caring if it sells much or not.

Sushiglutton
04-11-2014, 06:29 PM
This tweet is kind of interesting: https://twitter.com/PatriceDez/status/453917333132939264

Basically his non compete clause ends in a month :). He uses the tag #beingbaaaack

ze_topazio
04-11-2014, 06:40 PM
In a month Patrice announces "Hitman's Beliefs", an open world game about hired killers in a historical setting.

Sushiglutton
04-11-2014, 06:45 PM
In a month Patrice announces "Hitman's Beliefs", an open world game about hired killers in a historical setting.

Either that or 1667

Hans684
04-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Followed by Ubisoft and IO Interactive.

ze_topazio
04-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Either that or 1667

1667 Stockholm

Ureh
04-12-2014, 03:42 AM
The Creed of the Sands of the Prince of Assassins. Coming soon.

Soulid_Snake
04-12-2014, 03:21 PM
This tweet is kind of interesting: https://twitter.com/PatriceDez/status/453917333132939264

Basically his non compete clause ends in a month :). He uses the tag #beingbaaaack

Fingers Crossed! :)