PDA

View Full Version : (For Oleg) I Have a Dream...

koniygn
06-20-2004, 09:28 PM
...to make the IL2 perfect; or at least, to play IL2 or further flight simulations in new ways (for offline modes). I have several suggestions as follow...

In the years of wars, especially in Nazi, the pilots can draw special logos on their planes such as Mickey mouse. If it is possible, I believe it is fun to earn points to unlock the skins and logos. (Just like Need For Speed -- unlock the vinyl, cars, tracks etc by earning points)

Also, I believe that it is necessary to give a 3D showcast in the player's plane. Now the window showing the plane in the Aircraft ??? (forget the spelling... hehe) is too small; sometimes it even cannot show the bombs and tanks. Therefore, I suggest using the whole screen for showcast (for example, the background is the hanger, showing the plane's ammo, bombs, rockets etc, just like the Microsoft CFS3)

Besides, most of the time in wars, especially in the Melta campaign, the planes were not always totally fixed. I believe it has more fun if there is some data showing the "health" of the plane such as "Engine: 90%, Wing: 70%, ..." like the "used car" section in the Need For Speed Pursuit Unleashed. The damages should be saved after a mission; in the next mission, the ground crew should "repair" some of the damage, depends on the length of time between two missions, and to load the damages before the next mission starts. Thus, the players have to nurse their planes to avoid too much damage. If the player took too much damage from the previous mission, his plane in the next mission should not be totally fixed. Of course, if there is some random failure, it is fine (especially the coming B29!!! At the early stage, 21% for average of B29 in each mission is either damaged or destroyed...)

As for the planes, I do believe the players should not know the future. Now when the player starts his campaign, he has to select his first plane, and then... all planes until the war ends? It is not good. Of course it is true that the player can "enter the war" during the wars, but rather than choosing all planes for his life, I suggest that the player should each time select his current plane; when a new plane is "available in stock", a window should pop in to ask "... is now avilable; Do you want to choose to fly .... and abandon the current ...?" (something like that)This may cause several problems in mission building, but as a better simulation, I do believe the player's plane in his squadron should be able to vary in all missions.

The last thing: can we have a mouse-free menu? To be honest, the menu looks suck. (sorry for my impoliteness) Some of my friends even can't believe this is a good flight simulation game when they first look at the menu (when I start the game and show them my flying). Hence, except the complete mission builder, I think it is necessary to use a mouse-free menu.

Thanks

work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

koniygn
06-20-2004, 09:28 PM
...to make the IL2 perfect; or at least, to play IL2 or further flight simulations in new ways (for offline modes). I have several suggestions as follow...

In the years of wars, especially in Nazi, the pilots can draw special logos on their planes such as Mickey mouse. If it is possible, I believe it is fun to earn points to unlock the skins and logos. (Just like Need For Speed -- unlock the vinyl, cars, tracks etc by earning points)

Also, I believe that it is necessary to give a 3D showcast in the player's plane. Now the window showing the plane in the Aircraft ??? (forget the spelling... hehe) is too small; sometimes it even cannot show the bombs and tanks. Therefore, I suggest using the whole screen for showcast (for example, the background is the hanger, showing the plane's ammo, bombs, rockets etc, just like the Microsoft CFS3)

Besides, most of the time in wars, especially in the Melta campaign, the planes were not always totally fixed. I believe it has more fun if there is some data showing the "health" of the plane such as "Engine: 90%, Wing: 70%, ..." like the "used car" section in the Need For Speed Pursuit Unleashed. The damages should be saved after a mission; in the next mission, the ground crew should "repair" some of the damage, depends on the length of time between two missions, and to load the damages before the next mission starts. Thus, the players have to nurse their planes to avoid too much damage. If the player took too much damage from the previous mission, his plane in the next mission should not be totally fixed. Of course, if there is some random failure, it is fine (especially the coming B29!!! At the early stage, 21% for average of B29 in each mission is either damaged or destroyed...)

As for the planes, I do believe the players should not know the future. Now when the player starts his campaign, he has to select his first plane, and then... all planes until the war ends? It is not good. Of course it is true that the player can "enter the war" during the wars, but rather than choosing all planes for his life, I suggest that the player should each time select his current plane; when a new plane is "available in stock", a window should pop in to ask "... is now avilable; Do you want to choose to fly .... and abandon the current ...?" (something like that)This may cause several problems in mission building, but as a better simulation, I do believe the player's plane in his squadron should be able to vary in all missions.

The last thing: can we have a mouse-free menu? To be honest, the menu looks suck. (sorry for my impoliteness) Some of my friends even can't believe this is a good flight simulation game when they first look at the menu (when I start the game and show them my flying). Hence, except the complete mission builder, I think it is necessary to use a mouse-free menu.

Thanks

PinkPriest
06-21-2004, 02:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by koniygn:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The term is Germany, not Nazi.
On logos: RedBaron had this possibility. With the right rank, you could paint your aircraft. For Il2, I recommend Paintshop and/ or Il2Mat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
As for the planes, I do believe the players should not know the future. Now when the player starts his campaign, he has to select his first plane, and then... all planes until the war ends? It is not good. Of course it is true that the player can "enter the war" during the wars, but rather than choosing all planes for his life, I suggest that the player should each time select his current plane; when a new plane is "available in stock", a window should pop in to ask "... is now avilable; Do you want to choose to fly .... and abandon the current ...?" (something like that)This may cause several problems in mission building, but as a better simulation, I do believe the player's plane in his squadron should be able to vary in all missions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this is a good point. Also I would like to see transferring from one quadron to another. Already seen in games as old as RadBaron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The last thing: can we have a mouse-free menu? To be honest, the menu looks suck. (sorry for my impoliteness) Some of my friends even can't believe this is a good flight simulation game when they first look at the menu (when I start the game and show them my flying). Hence, except the complete mission builder, I think it is necessary to use a mouse-free menu.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want a mouse-free interface, buy a Playstation.
Also comparing Il2 (a SIMULATION) to NFS (pure ARCADE) isn't exactly helping your point. Comparison with great games like RedBaron , the Aces series, SWOTL etc would be more approriate.

koniygn
06-21-2004, 04:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by koniygn:
In the years of wars, especially in Nazi, the pilots can draw special logos on their planes such as Mickey mouse. If it is possible, I believe it is fun to earn points to unlock the skins and logos. (Just like Need For Speed -- unlock the vinyl, cars, tracks etc by earning points)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch... sorry for the wrong term.
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/cry.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PinkPriest:
If you want a mouse-free interface, buy a Playstation.
Also comparing Il2 (a SIMULATION) to NFS (pure ARCADE) isn't exactly helping your point. Comparison with great games like RedBaron , the Aces series, SWOTL etc would be more approriate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah... there is no other flight simulations in where I live. This is not important, but the fact is that my mouse keep crashing the game with the window XP desktop that I have to use the keyboard to select things. With some unknown reasons, my mouse works well in the full mission builder. Other than that, I have to "feel" which is the highlighted button, and press it with "enter", but the highlight is not good enough to be seen. Nevertheless, even if I don't have that problem, the menu interface is very boring. I just wanna ask: "dev team, if you have time, could you please re-design the menu interface? Thank you." http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Besides, my comparing with NFS is just some kind of dream-like issue. Just take an unreal example: what will happen if we add Tomb Raider elements into Rainbow Six? Bang, Splinter Cell came out! &lt;-- THIS IS NOT A FACT!!! JUST A METAPHOR!!!
And who knows what will IL2 combine with NFS elements? I have been imagining taking GTA elements into IL2 (pilots have to scramble for their planes; press enter the plane before flying); although it is totally imagining, I do believe people's imaginations can be grouped together to make games perfect.

I think I have been talking irrelevent things too much... Thanks...

PinkPriest
06-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Ok, you should've mentioned you actually having technical problems with the mouse in il2. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Therefore, I withdraw the Playstation remark. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pilots running to their planes has been requested already, personally, I would be satisfied with planes starting in their hangars and then taxiing to their takeoff positions. (Lomac, Falcon... etc)

(Can be done in FMB, I know.)

kchickenlord
07-02-2004, 03:39 PM
I think the squadron transfer idea is an excellent one and i dont see how it could be that much of a problem, more detailed dossiers on frendly pilots might be a goods addition and the ability to view the status of nearby friendly squadrons.

BIG BUMP!!

BennyMoore
07-02-2004, 11:15 PM
For the record, I believe that the technical problem that he is having with the mouse is the same one I had for a while. I'm not sure if it's universal or uncommon, but what happens is that what you start the game, the game somehow "thinks" that you're alt tabbed away from it, so when you click something that you see as a menu button, the game thinks that you're clicking on your desktop somewhere.

The solution is easy. Alt tab out of the game, and then back into it. Now, I don't know why, but I no longer have that problem. Perhaps it was fixed in one of the patches.

GH_Klingstroem
07-03-2004, 04:55 AM
I personally love the idea of not having ur plane at 100% every time you fly... As you said, maybe the fuselage isnt in top condition or ur wing from last mission etc etc... That would make the pilot really happy when he gets a new plane or more planes are transfered to ur squadron etc etc.... Very good idea that have I have missed in this fine simulation!
Another thing I have missed id the guncamera! Imagine every time you pull the trigger that a camera records it! then when you have landed you can watch it and maybe save it if you want.... Very important that the guncam video look real tho, ie black white, shaking, well you guys know what I mean.... Ok not trying to steal ur topic here!
cheers everyone!

Harh
07-03-2004, 06:14 AM
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides, most of the time in wars, especially in the Melta campaign, the planes were not always totally fixed. I believe it has more fun if there is some data showing the "health" of the plane such as "Engine: 90%, Wing: 70%, ..." like the "used car" section in the Need For Speed Pursuit Unleashed.

Things about "not completely repaired plane" are good, but hard to make. It is like crew managment and fuel&ammo quantity. An excellent thing in dynamic campaign, but that all is not likely to appear. Even in BoB. But anyway, I completely agree, it would be great. As about "Engine: 90%, Wing: 70%" ... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I hope theese indicators never make it in Maddox's games. It is ARCADE.

Quote:

About interface - one phrase: It is completely draft. If to say longer: it was draft in times of initial release, it is so in FB ACE, it will be in pf. Only BoB get new interface and we should hope it will be OK. In most games, which have good interface, game can be controlled and by mouse and by keyboard. Most serious sims have problem with interface (I didn't see MSFS, but somewhy I think it doesn't apply to Microsoft http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

Quote:
I personally love the idea of not having ur plane at 100% every time you fly... As you said, maybe the fuselage isnt in top condition or ur wing from last mission etc etc... That would make the pilot really happy when he gets a new plane or more planes are transfered to ur squadron etc etc.... Very good idea that have I have missed in this fine simulation!

Agree http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Obi_Kwiet
07-03-2004, 09:01 PM
"in Natzi" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif try walking into a bar "in Natzi" and saying that. I promice the responce will be... enthusiastic. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

S 8
07-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Now,I don´t know how it was in real life but I doubt they would take off with a damaged AC.

------------------------------
"My blue jeans is thight,so into my love rocket climb.Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,above us there is nothing above,but the stars,above."
Zlad