PDA

View Full Version : Ubi: Please bring back interactive cut scenes like AC1

xDEEZLx
04-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi all, I've been a long time visitor here but am a first time poster now. You'll all be seeing me more now that I have finally registered. :)

So I just DL ac1 about a week ago. While playing it, I see the cut scenes all to be interactive that I can move, look around and even press a button so the camera angle changes. Playing this got me thinking, why was it removed after ac1? It was such a cool thing to have in the game and kept you even more immersed.

So ubi, please bring it back either in unity or in future installments. It's such a great thing that has been lost.

Anyone else remember this and how do you feel about bringing it back?

Sushiglutton
04-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Personally I prefer to be able to relax during cutscenes and focus on the dialogue, so I prefer the approach in the latter game. It was a neat idea, I'm just terrible at doing more than one thing at the time ;).

xryanx28
04-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Personally I prefer to be able to relax during cutscenes and focus on the dialogue, so I prefer the approach in the latter game. It was a neat idea, I'm just terrible at doing more than one thing at the time ;).

I agree. I only did that stupid cutscene thing for the achievement ;)

Assassin_M
04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Oh yes, I loved it. especially in cutscenes where i'm observing my target. in the souk, in the hospital, at the party, at the docks, in the school, at the execution. I felt like I was really a blade in the crowd. no one suspects me. no one can see me. i'm there, lurking not in shadows but lurking in plain sight. circling around like a shark or Cheetah. observing my surroundings, watching my target. moving between spaces and the glitches that changed the camera angle helped me get immersed more. I get to feel like the victim AND the predator at the same time. I see what my target sees. people...just plain people...no Assassin in the crowd but then the camera returns to the Assassin who's watching...ready to strike at any moment. calculating chances, surveying his approach strategy...watching the brutality...waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

That said, I didn't enjoy those types of custcenes when i was alone. I didn't enjoy them for example during the lectures that Al-Mualim gave or the talks with the Bureau leaders. It felt mundane.

I would LOVE to see those back again during Assassination missions but only during Assassination missions where social events occur..

marvelfannumber
04-01-2014, 07:36 PM
NO please no! The "interactive" cutscens in AC1 in my opinion were one of the most boring experiences in the entire series. I would literaly just sit there mashing every button to desperately make it end. In fact they were so boring I still have no idea what any of the assassins in the bureaus were even talking about.

Sushiglutton
04-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Oh yes, I loved it. especially in cutscenes where i'm observing my target. in the souk, in the hospital, at the party, at the docks, in the school, at the execution. I felt like I was really a blade in the crowd. no one suspects me. no one can see me. i'm there, lurking not in shadows but lurking in plain sight. circling around like a shark or Cheetah. observing my surroundings, watching my target. moving between spaces and the glitches that changed the camera angle helped me get immersed more. I get to feel like the victim AND the predator at the same time. I see what my target sees. people...just plain people...no Assassin in the crowd but then the camera returns to the Assassin who's watching...ready to strike at any moment. calculating chances, surveying his approach strategy...watching the brutality...waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

That said, I didn't enjoy those types of custcenes when i was alone. I didn't enjoy them for example during the lectures that Al-Mualim gave or the talks with the Bureau leaders. It felt mundane.

I would LOVE to see those back again during Assassination missions but only during Assassination missions where social events occur..

That's a fair point. Walking around in the crowd listening to the speeches was perfectly fine. I was mostly thinking about stuff like for example in AC2 when you needed to suddenly tap a button in the middle of a cutscene to double assassinate the guards near the finale (in the "carry a box to Rodrigo"- mission). Those out of the blue QTEs meant you always needed to hold your fingers close to the facebuttons during cutscenes, which was pretty annoying.

Assassin_M
04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I was mostly thinking about stuff like for example in AC2 when you needed to suddenly tap a button in the middle of a cutscene to double assassinate the guards near the finale (in the "carry a box to Rodrigo"- mission). Those out of the blue QTEs meant you always needed to hold your fingers close to the facebuttons during cutscenes, which was pretty annoying.
Nah, those were meh imo and out of place. yes, I agree...those were annoying..

Sushiglutton
04-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Nah, those were meh imo and out of place. yes, I agree...those were annoying..

Since I always hold the controller in just my left hand during cutscenes I think I missed every single one on my first playthorugh (kep forgetting), which made me pissed lol :p

guardian_titan
04-01-2014, 07:53 PM
I found the interactive cut scenes in AC1 boring myself. Yay, press a button to change the camera angle .... to see what? It added nothing new to the scene. If the cut scenes actually revealed something important like a person your character is talking to having a dagger that you can then hit a button to snatch or avoid being stabbed or maybe reveals another character nearby, then maybe. But hit a button to just change the angle does nothing. Interactive scenes like AC2 where you press a button to avoid something or get hit I would rather have back but with a larger warning window than just having to watch for a glitch moment to change the camera angle.

If changing the camera angle reveals something meaningful, then by all means. If all it does is change the angle and reveals nothing ... then hell no. I'd rather just watch the scene and listen to the dialogue.

Assassin_M
04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Since I always hold the controller in just my left hand during cutscenes I think I missed every single one on my first playthorugh (kep forgetting), which made me pissed lol :p
It does seem annoying when you find out that you missed undressing :p

STDlyMcStudpants
04-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Some great points.
While I would have preferred that for the end of AC3 where connor *spoiler spoiler spoiler*................ rips off the necklace and pulls..(whats his Wheres Charles Lee name again?) onto a knife
But feel like people wouldve cried more about a qte than it ending in a cut scene..because you know gamers...they either want full control or no control.... (While I personally LOVE QTE in a heated boss battle like GOW where it forces you to pause your button mashing)
BUT at the same time what I HATE about QTE in God of War and in any game really is that it distracts from whats going on..im consciously waiting for a button prompt and focusing at the center of the screen and have to miss out on the epic executions.....
I would much rather do a quick time sequence before a move rather than as its happening (even though this is more suspenseful and engaging) and watch a cutscene execute the prompts i just put in as i sit back and watch,
You have to make sacrifices...and im not willing to sacrifice seeing an epic scene play out for a more interactive experience.

GunnerGalactico
04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I agree with most of the comments, interactive cut scenes only work in certain parts of the game like: chasing your target, facing an enemy one on one or observing certain scenes from a distance.But I prefer watching cut scenes play out rather than clutching my controller... waiting to hit a button

xDEEZLx
04-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I agree with most of the comments, interactive cut scenes only work in certain parts of the game like: chasing your target, facing an enemy one on one or observing certain scenes from a distance.But I prefer watching cut scenes play out rather than clutching my controller... waiting to hit a button

That's the thing, the button press was optional. No need to press if you didn't want to, but being able to move around during an assassination scene was awesome. Find my best starting point was cool. The game didn't dictate how I wanted it to play out. I think now being next gen, it could bring out a whole new element.

dxsxhxcx
04-01-2014, 09:27 PM

I agree, those moments were really immersive during the assassination missions and the "hidden" cutscenes were a bonus..

Aphex_Tim
04-01-2014, 10:26 PM
I was mostly thinking about stuff like for example in AC2 when you needed to suddenly tap a button in the middle of a cutscene to double assassinate the guards near the finale (in the "carry a box to Rodrigo"- mission). Those out of the blue QTEs meant you always needed to hold your fingers close to the facebuttons during cutscenes, which was pretty annoying.

I felt so bad when I accidentally left Leonardo hanging.

ze_topazio
04-02-2014, 12:45 AM
I found those cutscenes more cinematic than the more cinematic cutscenes we have right now.

Locopells
04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Meh, I've played ACII enough times that I know when they're coming, so it ain't a problem for me, but wasn't really necessary, other then to make sure you're paying attention. ACI's style worked, since it gave you something to do while being lectured by the other assassins. But since that style of cutscene doesn't tend to happen in AC any more...

Then again, the sneak peak trailer reminded me of moving through the crowd in Jerusalem when after the guy who was executing people, so maybe...

Farlander1991
04-02-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't like AC1 style cutscenes, even the ones during an assassination mission.

They were leaving control to us while at the same time taking it away, which was annoying as hell to me.

For example, as Altair, I could've leapt out of the crowd to kill Tamir because he was too busy arguing with the dealer. That even goes in line with the Assassin image - public assassination during the center of attention. But no, all I could was wobble around the crowd without being able to get any closer to my target.

I prefer normal cutscenes to this.

(Also, I would frequently stand with my back towards Al-Mualim, I'm sure he would be pissed off about that...)

frodrigues55
04-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I think normal cutscenes also help to add character. The way they move and they talk can be better captured with the right angles used on the cinematic cuts. AC1's cutscenes were really boring so no, I wouldn't want that style back.

Aphex_Tim
04-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Even got a glitch once with one of these cutscenes in AC1 which prevented me from continuing.
When you're in Acre to find and kill William of Montferrat, there's an interactive cutscene in which you have to blend with the crowd when William and Richard the Lionheart appear. When approaching the crowd the "cutscene" already starts, making you unable to sprint or freerun but William and Lionheart won't appear until you have blended with the crowd. Thing is, I was parkouring my way to the castle but the cutscene already started while I was still standing on a scaffold. Couldn't jump off since I had no more high profile control and William and Lionheart didn't appear since I was not close enough. Had nowhere to go so I had to restart the game.

ze_topazio
04-02-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't like AC1 style cutscenes, even the ones during an assassination mission.

They were leaving control to us while at the same time taking it away, which was annoying as hell to me.

For example, as Altair, I could've leapt out of the crowd to kill Tamir because he was too busy arguing with the dealer. That even goes in line with the Assassin image - public assassination during the center of attention. But no, all I could was wobble around the crowd without being able to get any closer to my target.

I prefer normal cutscenes to this.

(Also, I would frequently stand with my back towards Al-Mualim, I'm sure he would be pissed off about that...)

I like to spin like a ballerina for no particular reason, I do that in most conversations.

frodrigues55
04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Also, I would frequently stand with my back towards Al-Mualim, I'm sure he would be pissed off about that...)

I used to do the same thing lmao.

Although, once I figured I can change camera angles while talking to him, I stopped doing that.

danykk2009
04-02-2014, 12:33 PM
I like to spin like a ballerina for no particular reason, I do that in most conversations.

I was just like you... it was funny....

Farlander1991
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I would spin a lot too. But Al-Mualim? I'd show him who's really the boss.

Hans684
04-02-2014, 04:57 PM
I disliked them, there is no point, nothing to do. They are meaningless, if it returns it should have a purpose other than going around doing nothing or change the camera angle. In every IC I have see several moments where I could assassinate, like with Sibran. He had a crowd all around him, sometimes he turned around and he was focused on a scholar. Everything pointing to great assassination, if only I could do something. The Creed is there for the best of the people, yes? Then why did Alta´r let several of his targets to kill innocent? He himself said he is willing to sacrifice himself for the people.

No IC. Either fully gameplay with the target talking(and doing something) or a cutscene.

SixKeys
04-02-2014, 10:38 PM

Interestingly enough, that's exactly what Patrice Desilets said he always does with Alta´r. He said the interactive cut scenes were a way of giving the player more control over how they wanted the character to act. Patrice always made Alta´r turn his back on the people he was talking to because he saw him as that kind of person. Whenever I replay AC1, I like making Alta´r pace around anxiously in all the cut scenes, because he starts off reckless and impatient. As the game progresses, I make him calm down and pay attention to Al Mualim. I like that roleplaying aspect, simple as it may be.

I do miss it to an extent, but I acknowledge that it probably wouldn't work in the series anymore, since it's not an assassin simulator anymore but more like a Hollywood movie.

BATISTABUS
04-02-2014, 11:58 PM
This.

Farlander1991
04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Interestingly enough, that's exactly what Patrice Desilets said he always does with Alta´r. He said the interactive cut scenes were a way of giving the player more control over how they wanted the character to act.

I don't agree with this approach though, for one big reason: there's no reaction to the actions. I can stand my back to Al-Mualim, but there's no way in hell I'll believe that Al-Mualim would tolerate that.

AC1 I think is the most immersive out of the AC games (the Animus thing also helps, in terms of gameplay mechanics looking pretty natural), but the limited interaction in cutscenes screams to me, 'heeeeeeeeeey, you're in a game!'

dxsxhxcx
04-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't agree with this approach though, for one big reason: there's no reaction to the actions. I can stand my back to Al-Mualim, but there's no way in hell I'll believe that Al-Mualim would tolerate that.

AC1 I think is the most immersive out of the AC games (the Animus thing also helps, in terms of gameplay mechanics looking pretty natural), but the limited interaction in cutscenes screams to me, 'heeeeeeeeeey, you're in a game!'

I always saw that as a way to remind the player that he wasn't Altair (and that the events of the game weren't happening in real time), he was a guy in the animus controlling his avatar, that's why those moments had its limitations, Al Mualim didn't react to what we were doing because in the real event what we were doing didn't happen, (the real) Altair probably just stood there listening to what Al Mualim had to say.

frodrigues55
04-03-2014, 10:54 PM
I always saw that as a way to remind the player that he wasn't Altair (and that the events of the game weren't happening in real time), he was a guy in the animus controlling his avatar, that's why those moments had its limitations, Al Mualim didn't react to what we were doing because in the real event what we were doing didn't happen, (the real) Altair probably just stood there listening to what Al Mualim had to say.

They were literally genious when they came up with the Animus ideia. They can justify basically everything with it. Even changing the face of characters can be explained. It doesn't count for characters outside the animus, though. So they just ended with them.