PDA

View Full Version : rudder controls

kwaichain007
03-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Hello folks! There are three sets of control settings with vertical columns (eight of them) which range from 0 to 100. The three sets are called (pitch, roll, and yaw). Of course there are defults for these settings, but what does adjusting these settings do? Do they help compensate if your joystick is slightly off (during calibration tests)? Or do they do something different. I've got a Logitech Wingman Force Feedback Wingman 3D.

I am playing ILFB ver. 1.22 and have installed requisite patches. My issue is that I am having rudder control prolems. I have the left/right rudder set to adjust to my joystick left right twists. Sometimes the rudder goes left or right when the stick is centered and unmoved. Sometimes when I want the rudder to move either left or right it stays centered. Sometimes it appears to be stuck in the left or right max position and my twists seem to have no impact, in terms of moving the rudder to the opposite position.

It seems not to matter what plane I fly, nor whether I am online or offline. I am guessing there is some setting adjustment that I can do, but I can't find it in the tech manual. Please help.

kwaichain007
03-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Hello folks! There are three sets of control settings with vertical columns (eight of them) which range from 0 to 100. The three sets are called (pitch, roll, and yaw). Of course there are defults for these settings, but what does adjusting these settings do? Do they help compensate if your joystick is slightly off (during calibration tests)? Or do they do something different. I've got a Logitech Wingman Force Feedback Wingman 3D.

I am playing ILFB ver. 1.22 and have installed requisite patches. My issue is that I am having rudder control prolems. I have the left/right rudder set to adjust to my joystick left right twists. Sometimes the rudder goes left or right when the stick is centered and unmoved. Sometimes when I want the rudder to move either left or right it stays centered. Sometimes it appears to be stuck in the left or right max position and my twists seem to have no impact, in terms of moving the rudder to the opposite position.

It seems not to matter what plane I fly, nor whether I am online or offline. I am guessing there is some setting adjustment that I can do, but I can't find it in the tech manual. Please help.

ptthome
03-05-2004, 05:34 AM
dont mess with joystick profile in IL2 until you have tested and calibrated in Windows.

Go to control panel, test then calibrate.

If it does not work there either throw the stick in the corner - or spend several nights stripping and rebuilding the stick - then throw it in the corner. I bought a Logitek force 3D and did both. With the force feedback on it shakes itself to bits - the pots come loose, lose calibration and loses precision. The pot for the rudder twist is particularily vaguely mounted and I'm surprised if it will ever work consistently.
Sorry to be negative but I have two other logitek sticks which work great (and cost less than the 3D) the force feedback is a dog.
logitek force feedback

http://perso.club-internet.fr/ptthome/vulogo3.JPG

RxMan
03-05-2004, 07:12 AM
The sliders adjust the amount of movement of the actual stick that gets sent to the plane. Most use a graduated scale from about 5 on the left side to 100 on the right end. Some just go in units of 10, i.e. 10,20,30, etc.
There are 2 other sliders lower down. The dead zone gives you an area around the center of your stick that will not transmit, to compensate for a pot that is off center. The other one (filter or something, can't remember the name) dampens out the movement to avoid noisy pots and slows down the response. Move it about half way and watch the way the red/green boxes move in the calibration window, you'll get the feel of how your stick is reacting. One shows where your stick is, the other shows where the plane thinks your stick is. Good luck.

03-05-2004, 09:16 AM
You need to calibrate your stick.

Start Menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Game Controllers. Choose your controller. Click "Properties". Calibrate.

The control sensitivity curves which you talked about are for control sensitivity, not for calibration. Be aware that the in-game GUI for adjusting joystick curves only sets the first X, Y and Z axes. Hotas users and people with separate rudder pedals should edit conf.ini by hand.

kwaichain888
03-06-2004, 01:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RxMan:
The sliders adjust the amount of movement of the actual stick that gets sent to the plane. Most use a graduated scale from about 5 on the left side to 100 on the right end. Some just go in units of 10, i.e. 10,20,30, etc.
There are 2 other sliders lower down. The dead zone gives you an area around the center of your stick that will not transmit, to compensate for a pot that is off center. The other one (filter or something, can't remember the name) dampens out the movement to avoid noisy pots and slows down the response. Move it about half way and watch the way the red/green boxes move in the calibration window, you'll get the feel of how your stick is reacting. One shows where your stick is, the other shows where the plane thinks your stick is. Good luck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for this help, I'll try to put this into action.

kwaichain888
03-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your help. I'll hopefully get this stick working. You can imagine how much fun it takes out of the game having this problem.