PDA

View Full Version : Tree-running

Arid_OrchId
04-01-2014, 05:01 PM
I am extremely excited for AC Unity coming this year and i really like the french revolution. But i was wondering, since we don't know how many cities we will have and whatnot, will we still have tree-running? I loved running through the jungles and frontier but i was hoping for a more dense and decorated landscape. I know the old tech couldn't support anything bigger or more complex without lowering the frame rate but with next gen is here i think they could make it alot better like in that ac3 preproduction video. Does France have many trees or forests?

oliacr
04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
I really liked tree-running too, and I hope there will be something similar to Frontier in Unity, besides Paris.

Assassin_M
04-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I dunno if France's countryside would work? anyone care to enlighten me?

RatonhnhakeFan
04-01-2014, 08:18 PM
even if there are no forest maps, there are still trees in the city that could be used to aid traversal paths

Sushiglutton
04-01-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm thinking maybe they will include the park around Versaille with it's forest like areas?

http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/perspective-view-of-the-chateau-gardens-and-park-of-versailles-pierre-patel.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Park_of_Versailles_01.jpg

Rugterwyper32
04-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Being around the Ile-de-France area, my guess is if there's any frontier area it's gonna be based aroud the Forest of Fontainebleau.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_of_Fontainebleau

My only hope is that we also get multiple cities. Toulouse at the very least, I'd say.

EDIT: There's also this fun little detail about the forest which helps make it even more fitting for the series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontainebleau_rock_climbing

LoyalACFan
04-01-2014, 10:10 PM
To be frank, I never understood the enthusiasm for tree-running. Sure, it's a huge technical achievement, but it doesn't really add that much in terms of open-world gameplay since the branches form predetermined paths for the most part, and it makes the forests look fake and contrived with all the bare, perfectly horizontal branches.

Personally, I think the "frontiersy" aspects of AC3 and AC4 (i.e. tree-running, rock climbing, and hunting) would be really out of place in Unity's setting anyway. France has some woodland areas, but they would have all been thoroughly explored and settled by the 18th century, which kind of kills the mystique of traversing unspoiled lands. Besides, I want to get back to the grand, architecturally-based experiences of the first few games. Rural environments have played their part well, but I'm pretty much done with them. Images like this

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AC-Unity-official.jpg

have gotten me more hyped for the French Revolution than you can imagine.

Aphex_Tim
04-01-2014, 10:39 PM
It all depends on the setting. They shouldn't put trees in there just for the sake of having trees. It makes perfect sense to have climbable trees in an 18th century North American or Caribbean setting. In Paris? Not so much.

Locopells
04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Images like this

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AC-Unity-official.jpg

have gotten me more hyped for the French Revolution than you can imagine.

Roooope Swing!

Seriously though, I guess it'll be an option, but not quite the same focus.

Farlander1991
04-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Even if there won't be forest areas, tree-running should still exist, IMO. It's not like there's no trees in Paris or any other city, and I think it would be a shame to not have them be a part of the free-running paths we could take.

frodrigues55
04-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Even if there won't be forest areas, tree-running should still exist, IMO. It's not like there's no trees in Paris or any other city, and I think it would be a shame to not have them be a part of the free-running paths we could take.

My thoughts exactly. Why would they remove a feature which can only help the gameplay?

It doesn't have to have a frontier or a jungle. But climbing and running trough the trees within the city surely can't be a bad thing? A cousin of mine was here a few weeks ago and wanted to play. He started by AC2 and his first though while running from a guard was jumping from a rooftop to the nearest tree. It's something that makes sense and the games should allow it.

Even in AC4 I missed rock climbing a little bit, so I hope that comes back as well just for the sake of it.

poptartz20
04-03-2014, 06:56 AM
ehh.. I kinda hope it doesn't return. I like it for the area that it was in. Also I'm glad that Rock Climbing was kinda Connor's thing. It made him unique in a way.

But I do hope they give us some new aspect to this frenchman! or some unique way he gets around. Kinda like Aveline with her whip and whip jumps and even thought it was a cheap gimmick imo the hookblade.

Arid_OrchId
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
I agree with most of the things you've all said, plus, it probably would be best to focus more on the man made structures again( especially for Paris, i can't wait). But there was a video about what the developers were aiming for that had Connor in a different outfit and the tree running they wanted to use was a lot more fluid with a multitude of branches and limbs but they said it was not possible to do on the hardware. I just wish we could have a very dense claustrophobic forest to run around in haha

deskp
04-03-2014, 05:01 PM
The technical aspects of both rock climbing and tree running is constantly used in the climbing of man made thigns aswell in the last 2 games.

The question ehre obviously si weather or not there will be a foret area. For the sake of variety I hope there is seomthing like that. vegetation can look great on xone/ps4.

While I'd want msot of the game to be in the cities forest type areas are nice variety. maybe an own branch of the assassins can be working out of the forest or something. Make it a side quest storyline. assassinating wagons with noble's or seomthing.

Rugterwyper32
04-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Frankly, I don't see how it couldn't fit. Again, there's the Forest of Fointainbleau around and let's be honest here, the towns of France would still be quite more impressive and freerunning friendly than Lexington and Concord. Plus, with the hardware they've got for it, forests could prove even more interesting. I still feel there should always be a Kingdom-like area for the series, myself, and that forest alone would be cut out for it perfectly. This map alone (even though we're speaking of it being made 100 years after the French Rev) gets me hyped for the idea:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Carte_topographique_de_la_for%C3%AAt_de_Fontainebl eau_-_1895_-_btv1b530291367.jpg

Plus there's that I linked to about boulder climbing around that area. I still feel tree running is a fantastic feature and if possible they should take advantage of it. I'm definitely happy about more man-made structures, but the possibilities in some of these beautiful natural locations shouldn't be ignored. Plus, they still work in combination with man-made structures, and the forest of Fontainebleau would be a great way to show that.

STDlyMcStudpants
04-03-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't want tree running in unity or even comet.

Tree running..the frontier.
These were my favorite parts of Assassins Creed III...but why did I love them so much?
They were fresh, something new that i only dreamed about being in games as a kid... tree running sold my pre order!

I don't want that magic being taken away from me by it becoming a staple....
I want it to be a once in a while thing...
As much as i love the wilderness that AC3 and 4 delivered so greatly... im ready to step back into the city i miss from AC2-ACR

SixKeys
04-03-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm with LoyalACFan. Treerunning is nice, but if it doesn't make sense for the setting, they shouldn't sacrifice historical accuracy too much just to put it in. Introduce something new instead. I like the idea that some assassins had special skills that others didn't.

deadlyh1t
04-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Tree running will be included 100% watch the trailer! you will see that beside the building there are trees that will probably help you jump from one building to another! it will work like Ac Black flag, trees was awesome and so helpful some times to cities like Havana and Nassau!

frodrigues55
04-03-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't even see how is it a problem if they include treerunning within cities :confused: Isn't it better than not being able to climb trees?

deadlyh1t
04-03-2014, 10:58 PM
I don't even see how is it a problem if they include treerunning within cities :confused: Isn't it better than not being able to climb trees?

yes i cant understand why they dont want tree running! i love it, it makes me free run faster and for longer distances! imagine Ac Black Flag without tree running. Meh

dxsxhxcx
04-03-2014, 11:07 PM
like some people here already pointed out, I don't see nothing wrong with tree-running being available inside the cities if it's historically accurate, I just don't want an empty frontier/kingdom between cities just for the sake of being there.

MiguelSanch2014
04-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Tree running was arguably the best (maybeonlyLOL?) good thing about ACIII. It was really nailed in that game, and I admired how much of an achievement in gameplay dynamics it seemed at the time. Maybe it'll make an appearance somewhere, but it won't be a be-all end-all for me.