PDA

View Full Version : "Comet" Is The "Good" AC3?

Wolfmeister1010
03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Did it ever occur to you that to is possible that "Comet" could be ubi's way of making AC3 right? Think about it. Comet is obviously not the "main" AC of the year, that honor going to Unity. But, they still want to appeal to last gen gamers, so they need an idea for a game that doesn't interfere with Unity's story.

From what we have heard, Comet will be set in North America, have many of AC3's characters, and have semi naval freeroam. Sounds familiar doesn't it? The naval freeroam was an original feature in AC3 that never made it in the final version. This got me thinking..maybe they understand how AC3 wasn't what it should have been, and are trying to make it right, by reusing assets to make the game how it should have been. They would not be doing a "reboot" with Connor's story again, but make a game in the same setting, different story, but many same characters and features that should have been in AC3.

Normally, having this sort of "rebooty" game in place of a true next AC that helps advance the story would be a bad idea, but this is the perfect opportunity. They have the huge next gen game coming out, and so they have some room to do this sort of thing for the last gen game. Who knows, maybe they will try to include things that never got into AC3 like random encounters, freezing lakes, canoes, and spend more time on features like a trading, hunting, and crafting system, and filling the world and frontier with more things to do, because afterall, with the same assets, much of the work is already done.

Perhaps this is Ubi's way of making it right. And although I am not as excited for this game as Unity, I would totally be all for giving Ubi a chance to redeem themselves (assuming the Shay rumor is true, and even though I loved AC3 anyway)

PS, I dont know why the poll cut off some of my typing, so please excuse the typo in the title of the poll.

Meant to say: "would you support the idea?"

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 06:26 PM
I can see your point, but without Raton it will never feel like "second attempt to make AC3 right" because he was core part of AC3.

Now. If they bundled AC3 with Comet in the box along with making improvements to AC3 (in gameplay/balance and reimplementing critical story cutscenes that were removed) and perhaps creating a couple of new "Raton epilogue" missions to give the character a send-off, I would say that was a good attempt to 'make it up'.

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Hmmm... You have a point there. There were many disappointments in AC3 (glitches, missing events, etc) that should not have been. Instead of 'remaking' AC3, they are making up for it in another game... I'm kind of 50/50 on the idea as long as they don't change anything from the original story.

I can see your point, but without Raton it will never feel like "second attempt to make AC3 right" because he was core part of AC3.

Now. If they bundled AC3 with Comet in the box along with making improvements to AC3 (in gameplay/balance and reimplementing critical story cutscenes that were removed) and perhaps creating a couple of new "Raton epilogue" missions to give the character a send-off, I would say that was a good attempt to 'make it up'.

^ This too.

JustPlainQuirky
03-30-2014, 06:36 PM
You can't just take out Connor and say it's a new and improved version.

That's like remaking the starwars prequels without Annekin.

danykk2009
03-30-2014, 06:37 PM
I think that's a good point....

...and with that^ would be much better....

Farlander1991
03-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Give us modding tools and we'll make AC3 right :p

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 06:41 PM
That's like remaking the starwars prequels without Annekin.Prequels without Hayden's terrible performance? Where I can sign up? :p

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-30-2014, 06:46 PM
You can't just take out Connor and say it's a new and improved version.

That's like remaking the starwars prequels without Annekin.

They'll do that if they want to piss fans off even more...

Give us modding tools and we'll make AC3 right :p

Agreed lol

Wolfmeister1010
03-30-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't mean that they would just take put connor and stuff and call it AC3 but better. The story, like I said, would not have any part in the idea. But rather, things like gameplay mechanics, naval, dynamic encounters, forts, cities, frontier, would all be improved

Shahkulu101
03-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't mean that they would just take put connor and stuff and call it AC3 but better. The story, like I said, would not have any part in the idea. But rather, things like gameplay mechanics, naval, dynamic encounters, forts, cities, frontier, would all be improved
You just described AC4. Except forts are plantations and the frontier is the Caribbean. They already got the AC3 formula working fine and dandy, this game is being made using previous assets to lessen the workload. If this is all true.

Wolfmeister1010
03-30-2014, 07:07 PM
You just described AC4. Except forts are plantations and the frontier is the Caribbean. They already got the AC3 formula working fine and dandy, this game is being made using previous assets to lessen the workload. If this is all true.

Exactly

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 07:19 PM
this game is being made using previous assets to lessen the workloadIt's defnitely logical to assume it probably got MUCH smaller budget than AC3, AC4 or ACU

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 07:43 PM
if ac comet is what ac3 was supposed to be it will be he best game ever. And we all know it won't be. Although after ac4 I believe in miracles again. I seriouly hope comet can redeem ac3. If the are able to nail the combat and stealth and it has a good story its enough for me.

GunnerGalactico
03-30-2014, 08:00 PM
if ac comet is what ac3 was supposed to be it will be he best game ever. And we all know it won't be. Although after ac4 I believe in miracles again. I seriouly hope comet can redeem ac3. If the are able to nail the combat and stealth and it has a good story its enough for me.

I second this. :cool:

I know for a fact that Connor is a much better Assassin than AC3 makes him out to be. Maybe in AC Comet- Connor will be much more improved , we will have a chance to see him be more wise, less impulsive, calm and relaxed.

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-30-2014, 08:10 PM

I third this :p

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 08:53 PM
AC3 is the "Good" AC3. Comet is Comet.

Megas_Doux
03-30-2014, 09:00 PM
AC3 is the "Good" AC3. Comet is Comet.

This!!!!

In terms of answering the OP, I would say that the key relies on the mission design, the weakest point in AC III for me.

NAVID4ASSASSIN
03-30-2014, 09:44 PM
i dont expect so much from comet, im just concerned about the outfits and if he's outfit doesnt have a hood then im so pissed, yea i liked haythem's outfit but i want a templar in a hooded assassin robes.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 09:54 PM
i dont expect so much from comet, im just concerned about the outfits and if he's outfit doesnt have a hood then im so pissed, yea i liked haythem's outfit but i want a templar in a hooded assassin robes.

Yeah won't lie, I realize how tiny detail it is but a hood with a beak is what says "AC series" to me. Even's Raton's Tyranny outfit that was acually a wolf's mouth still retains the iconic Hood+triangle shape and 'works' for me. Not a fan of Haytham & Aveline tricorn, nor beak-less Edward/Adewale hoodies

Emperor_Fabulus
03-31-2014, 06:43 AM
From what we have heard, Comet will be set in North America, have many of AC3's characters, and have semi naval freeroam.

Source?

Ubisoft has gone on record (http://www.usgamer.net/articles/assassins-creed-iiis-connor-has-played-his-part) (via Darby McDevitt) in saying that we're done with all Kenways for the foreseeable future, last I heard. Pursuant to this, I would take any 'leaked rumors' even mentioning Connor as the work of trolls.

'Have many of AC3's characters?' Pretty sure that, apart from himself, Connor's murdered everyone who isn't a historical domain character.

I think it much more likely that we'll see an Aveline sequel, as there clearly far more bloody chunks hacked out of her story than Connor's. Also, why give her a cameo in Black Flag and HDify her original outing if not to raise awareness of her?

alekiratu
03-31-2014, 07:13 AM
I don't see how they could improve on AC3 without Connor. If there's anything people want back from that game, it's him. While I would love to see Haytham and Adewale again, I really feel that we've already spent too much time in this time period and geographical location and it's starting to get really stagnant.

I would be disappointed if this turns out to be true. I would have dismissed it as a fake if Kotaku had not said it had checked with it's sources. They were the ones who leaked the Unity screenshots after all.

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-31-2014, 07:22 AM
^True. But all we can do, once again, is wait and see... =/

I-Like-Pie45
04-01-2014, 05:10 AM
If Ubisoft was nice enough to release a dev kit or something, we would've already improved AC3 like we did with KOTOR II or New Vegas