PDA

View Full Version : Should Assassinís Creed pull a ďCitadel"?

RinoTheBouncer
03-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Iím a huge fan of Mass Effect. I came late to the franchise, pretty much with the release of every single DLC for ME3 and the trilogy edition. So thatís the one I bought. I got all DLC for all games before even playing one, then went for a full run through all of them. It was the best experience ever. Both ME and AC tie on the No.1 franchise rank, to me.

One of the many things that surprised me was the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3. It was such a one-of-a-kind experience, where a very serious game takes a turn towards a more fun and a more comedic style. If youíre not familiar with it, itís basically a Story-based DLC that added an extra location, a personal apartment for the protagonist, Commander Shepard. There he carry on some fun activities, such as inviting friends over to throw a party, inviting individuals to share a drink and a nice dialogue, redecorate the apartment before the party and listen to the characters taking a break from all the seriousness of the adventure itself, go downstairs to a shopping center/arcade, play games, do a lot of fun, off-topic stuff.

All that, in addition to an actual mission that you share with your teammates and this one also has itís own comedic commentary by the characters, despite it being a serious mission, like any other from the main game.

So what do you think of an AC-inspired DLC like that? perhaps we can have a non-canon or a what-if story where you can just hang around in some synch nexus with all assassins alive and well, perhaps Templars acting funny...etc.

I know itís not the style of AC, but such a fun mission would be a fun addition and itís optional. So it wonít delay you from the main game nor will it ruin the experience or hold important information from what the general story is trying to tell you. Back in the day, we had Croft Manor/Laraís Home in Tomb Raider where you can train, have fun..etc. and it was such a memorable part of the Tomb Raider franchise. I assume that, a game like AC can still be a dark and a serious action/stealth thriller but even more fun with such an additional package.

What do you all think? discuss...

Kirokill
03-30-2014, 02:35 PM
This would fit characters like Edward and Ezio for their attitude. Connor and Altair, well... Connor had a sad life that he doesn't seem to like to leave it and Altair was bond to the creed like glue, and when he escaped it was no good too.

Ah it will be fine for a refreshing fun story, like for instance
Achillies tells a story then adds an imaginary part like getting bear powers.

thecodeman715
03-30-2014, 04:15 PM
I am with you in the fact that Mass Effect and Assassins Creed are my number one favorite games, although recent AC installments allowed Mass Effect to take #1, and hopefully Unity would tie it up. Anyway, I don't think that a Citadel Style DLC would work, Assassins Creed mainly has a very serious tone, whereas there are many scenes in the Mass Effect series that are comedic. I loved Citadel DLC, but it wouldn't work with AC.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 06:05 PM
While there was a lot of good stuff in Citadel DLC, the slapstick tone of the main mission was off-putting, especially because you CAN'T play it after finishing ME3 as a "10-years after reunion". When you go through the game with the DLC installed, you have to play it in-between other missions and while all the jokes and humor are not inappropirate during apartement scenes or a party, because the main game already has lots of jokes & humor in between main missions, the main clone mission is just jarring because its radically different tone.

So yeah, in terms of bringing back old characters/filling in gaps sure, but when it comes to almost-parody tone (in the "serious" part of the DLC) I say no

SixKeys
03-30-2014, 10:47 PM
No non-canon "hanging out in the Animus" stuff, please. Most of the fan comics based around that idea are already cringe-inducing enough. In Mass Effect it may have been silly, but it still kind of fit into the plot (characters having fun before the final mission, where they figured they might not return from). I feel AC already does have some stuff like that, in the form of Easter eggs or exploring the world outside the Animus (like the conversations between modern day characters, "wassa matter you, AltaÔr?", or the tongue-in-cheek Abstergo files we find in AC4 that gently poke fun at the fans). Doing a whole DLC based upon non-canon silliness would be pushing it, IMO, and would need a tremendously talented writer who could make it funny instead of jarring.