PDA

View Full Version : It's a funny thing going back to AC1

frodrigues55
03-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Hi y'all.

I decided to replay the whole series again, am currently at the start of AC1 - the game most of us learned to trully appreciate only after being a fan of the series.

Anyway, it's quite a chalange to go back to the simpler AC. I've been trying to do run assassinations, air assassinations and hidden spot assassinations every single time - it has become such a natural movement that I didn't even realize they weren't there from the start of the series.

This got me thinking - it's amazing how far the series has come along and how many tools we have now - which is odd: the more tools the game give you to play, the less liberty the missions provide you. We all keep saying how much freedom AC1 gave us to assassinate our targets, but you basically can only do it one way. It got me thinking how the AC that gives us the most freedom also gives us no tools at all to achieve our goals.

This probably isn't thread-worthy but I just wanted to share :p

danykk2009
03-29-2014, 03:00 PM
yeah, i felt the same way when i played it some days ago... so much nostalgia.... now i'll have to play them all again, thanks for that...... no, yeah, thanks for that... :mad:

Farlander1991
03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
You can air assassinate in AC1, it's just requires some practice.

A while ago I've created a similar thread here. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/834752-Has-your-opinion-of-different-AC-games-has-changed-over-time) So I'll just link to that instead of repeating my whole experience of getting back to AC1 :D

And I've already mentioned in one thread how, when remembering the freedom of AC1, people tend to forget all the constraints that the secondary missions put on you, but that has led to a lot of conflicting discussions :D

Still, I think there's some beauty to the simplicity of AC1, but I do like a lot of things added throughout the series, I just think it's a question of balancing them out properly.

EDIT: Here's one air assassination in AC1 vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVQWJZFAcNs

EDIT 2:
Just noticed that you replied in the thread I linked to :D

jayjay275
03-29-2014, 03:31 PM

A while ago I've created a similar thread here. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/834752-Has-your-opinion-of-different-AC-games-has-changed-over-time) So I'll just link to that instead of repeating my whole experience of getting back to AC1 :D

And I've already mentioned in one thread how, when remembering the freedom of AC1, people tend to forget all the constraints that the secondary missions put on you, but that has led to a lot of conflicting discussions :D

Still, I think there's some beauty to the simplicity of AC1, but I do like a lot of things added throughout the series, I just think it's a question of balancing them out properly.

EDIT 2:

That's a good example, and thanks, as I've never been able to do an air assassination in AC1.

Assassin_M
03-29-2014, 03:56 PM
I think it's rather the simplicity of AC i's systems that causes it to stand out for me. It's not really about which weapon you use to kill a target, it's about how you approach. Will you use the scaffolding left by the servants? the broken window? The scholars next to the guarded entrance? The archerless rooftops? or go all Rambo? How would you reach your target? wait for him on a bench? climb the tower and air assassinate him? chase him? fight him head to head? How do you escape? rooftops? use vigilantes? It's really about surveying all of your options for me.

Also, the simple social stealth element. Something makes me want to conform. to walk beside people during my investigation. not to stand out at all. blend in. It's an imaginary line perfectly instilled by the people talking negatively about your parkouring or running (which was replaced in AC II with funny-man lines like "he must be in a hurry and she must be beautiful" and stunned women "what an athlete") the slight warning from the guards..everything just made me want to be a blade in the crowd.

Dome500
03-29-2014, 05:19 PM
I think it's rather the simplicity of AC i's systems that causes it to stand out for me. It's not really about which weapon you use to kill a target, it's about how you approach. Will you use the scaffolding left by the servants? the broken window? The scholars next to the guarded entrance? The archerless rooftops? or go all Rambo? How would you reach your target? wait for him on a bench? climb the tower and air assassinate him? chase him? fight him head to head? How do you escape? rooftops? use vigilantes? It's really about surveying all of your options for me.

Also, the simple social stealth element. Something makes me want to conform. to walk beside people during my investigation. not to stand out at all. blend in. It's an imaginary line perfectly instilled by the people talking negatively about your parkouring or running (which was replaced in AC II with funny-man lines like "he must be in a hurry and she must be beautiful" and stunned women "what an athlete") the slight warning from the guards..everything just made me want to be a blade in the crowd.

Absolutely agreed.

IMO AC1 gave you the most freedom of approach. Sadly however, since it is the first of the series, not enough tools.
Just imagine what you could do with the freedom of AC1 combined with the tools of the more modern games.

Also agreed on the "blade in the crowd" feeling, it really has to be emphasized more in future games.
Also, I did think AC2, B and R (and AC3) just had way to narrow restrictions in terms of distance to your target, going to far away from an ally and things like this. It kind of discouraged you from exploration and from planning you Assassination and finding you personal way to do it, a thing that AC1 really did. Not as good as it could have been sure, but at least it laid the foundation for that kind of freedom of approach, which could have been build on in the sequels, but sadly enough wasn't.

I was just recently surprised again by the dynamic nature of AC4. Although I think it still has too many restrictions in certain missions, one thing I really like is that most side missions can be made at any time and you can "collect" them like quests in an RPG. That allows you to do multiple side missions at the same time and allows more freedom.

Also the freedom of swimming everywhere and boarding in a different way was cool.
To give an example, there was this ship not too long ago which was a Spanish Brig I think, and it was in that bay that was restricted, and it was stationarry. And the island which build that bay contained one of my assassination targets. The problem was I couldn't come close without a close-quarters ship battle. 2 problems here:

1. I was not in the mood for a ship battle
2. I would take heavy damage, even if I would win

So what did I do? I went off my ship, swam a few miles ( I really couldn't come closer) and arrived at the ship (always stealth swimming, then making a few fast strokes, then stealth swimming again) and climbed it up. It was night once I was at the ship. I made my way around the ship slowly picking everyone off who was standing to close to the railing. I went on by going on the ship and climbing on the mast. I shot a few guards with beserk darts and waited until they were decimated. They were all standing in one place around one of the dead berserk guards now. Then I air-assassinated a grenadier, threw a smoke bomb and killed the rest. All I had to do then was swim back, drive my ship up to the Spanish brig, fire at it one time, and then I could board it without having to fight anyone, because everyone aboard was already dead. A Stealth-boarding :D :D

Now THAT is what I'm talking about.
I know that this was an exception of course, and I know this was hardly possible excpet in special cases, and I really wished there would have been the option to tell Adewale to take the helm and follow a ship while I would be sneaking aboard and killing the guys stealthy and then to go back and enter them, or to take a fort by sneaking in, sabotaging the defenses and killing the officers then calling my crew in to take the fort.
But that was not planned for and not integrated. A shame, but even without this the game still allowed for a way bigger degree of dynamic gameplay then AC2 - AC3 did.
It reminded me a little bit of AC1.

And that is kind of what I want to see in the future, allowing us to be more dynamic, approach things in 3 or 4 different ways, that means being able to do both Stealth and Combat solutions but it also means enabling us to tackle Assassinations and other similar objectives from different angles and in different ways.

That is kind of the freedom AC1 started with, but only AC4 really continued it, AC2 - AC3 were way to restrictive in that matter.

Remember that in AC1 if you failed a mission you were not desynchronized but you had to start the mission over again (in side missions). NO "game over" screen, but rather a "you lost this guy, you'll have to come later and see if you can catch him then) Something like that. OR in the main missions they worked with the GTA-principle. If you were too far away the person would wait on you or get slower. Preferably to a degree that you would not immediately realize it.

I think that is called dynamic level and A.I. design. At least to a degree. Allowing the player to be more free, explore, and try to figure out his own way of doing things, only punishing him if absolutely necessary and finding a way to avoid game-over screens when possible.

That's my opinion at least.

Calvarok
03-29-2014, 08:03 PM
this is very true, and it just highlights how great a new game using a similar framework to AC1 could be.

Sushiglutton
03-29-2014, 08:11 PM
AC1 is a very primitive game in a lot of ways. I also feel like aI miss a lot of feature that I take for granted after playing the later games (like corner cover, killing from hiding spots etc). Goofing around in the kingdom and trying to infiltrate various enemy camps is a horrible experience imo, because you just lack the tools and stealth is so brittle.

I appreciate like the purity in some ways though.

frodrigues55
03-29-2014, 10:57 PM

Still, I think there's some beauty to the simplicity of AC1, but I do like a lot of things added throughout the series, I just think it's a question of balancing them out

EDIT 2:

First of all - sweet Jesus, I never knew you could air assassinate on AC1! Thank you for that. But then again, I've only really played the game one time.

Also, I see, I remember that thread! I feel the same way, we all remember all the freedom and picture them in all heads with the bunch of new tools we have now. Thing is, we didn't have those tools back then, so our memory betrays us a little bit. Still, it's a really immersive experience that you learn to trully appreciate if you take the time. But you can't help yourself when doing a running assassination and end up pushinf the guard instead.

Yes, I completlely agree on having freedom to approach and scape. But that freedom is held back by the lack of tools. Sure, you enter by the ceiling, but you end up having to go all the way down anyway because you cannot air assassinate (at least until now lol). Or you can enter, sit on a bench and patiently wait for your victim. But you end up having to walk to the target anyway because you cannot assassinate from hiding spots. It always end up the same no matter how you got there.

That's what I was realizing. The following games gave you 100 new ways to kill your target, but took away the freedom to approach. It seems we can't have it all lol.

I agree with being a blade in a crowd. I'm hoping Unity is a signs of things to come when it comes to simplicity in character design. It really worked for AC1 and even 4, but the others were ridiculously flashy.

Absolutely agreed.

IMO AC1 gave you the most freedom of approach. Sadly however, since it is the first of the series, not enough tools.
Just imagine what you could do with the freedom of AC1 combined with the tools of the more modern games.

Also agreed on the "blade in the crowd" feeling, it really has to be emphasized more in future games.
Also, I did think AC2, B and R (and AC3) just had way to narrow restrictions in terms of distance to your target, going to far away from an ally and things like this. It kind of discouraged you from exploration and from planning you Assassination and finding you personal way to do it, a thing that AC1 really did. Not as good as it could have been sure, but at least it laid the foundation for that kind of freedom of approach, which could have been build on in the sequels, but sadly enough wasn't.

I was just recently surprised again by the dynamic nature of AC4. Although I think it still has too many restrictions in certain missions, one thing I really like is that most side missions can be made at any time and you can "collect" them like quests in an RPG. That allows you to do multiple side missions at the same time and allows more freedom.

Also the freedom of swimming everywhere and boarding in a different way was cool.
To give an example, there was this ship not too long ago which was a Spanish Brig I think, and it was in that bay that was restricted, and it was stationarry. And the island which build that bay contained one of my assassination targets. The problem was I couldn't come close without a close-quarters ship battle. 2 problems here:

1. I was not in the mood for a ship battle
2. I would take heavy damage, even if I would win

So what did I do? I went off my ship, swam a few miles ( I really couldn't come closer) and arrived at the ship (always stealth swimming, then making a few fast strokes, then stealth swimming again) and climbed it up. It was night once I was at the ship. I made my way around the ship slowly picking everyone off who was standing to close to the railing. I went on by going on the ship and climbing on the mast. I shot a few guards with beserk darts and waited until they were decimated. They were all standing in one place around one of the dead berserk guards now. Then I air-assassinated a grenadier, threw a smoke bomb and killed the rest. All I had to do then was swim back, drive my ship up to the Spanish brig, fire at it one time, and then I could board it without having to fight anyone, because everyone aboard was already dead. A Stealth-boarding :D :D

Now THAT is what I'm talking about.
I know that this was an exception of course, and I know this was hardly possible excpet in special cases, and I really wished there would have been the option to tell Adewale to take the helm and follow a ship while I would be sneaking aboard and killing the guys stealthy and then to go back and enter them, or to take a fort by sneaking in, sabotaging the defenses and killing the officers then calling my crew in to take the fort.
But that was not planned for and not integrated. A shame, but even without this the game still allowed for a way bigger degree of dynamic gameplay then AC2 - AC3 did.
It reminded me a little bit of AC1.

And that is kind of what I want to see in the future, allowing us to be more dynamic, approach things in 3 or 4 different ways, that means being able to do both Stealth and Combat solutions but it also means enabling us to tackle Assassinations and other similar objectives from different angles and in different ways.

That is kind of the freedom AC1 started with, but only AC4 really continued it, AC2 - AC3 were way to restrictive in that matter.

Remember that in AC1 if you failed a mission you were not desynchronized but you had to start the mission over again (in side missions). NO "game over" screen, but rather a "you lost this guy, you'll have to come later and see if you can catch him then) Something like that. OR in the main missions they worked with the GTA-principle. If you were too far away the person would wait on you or get slower. Preferably to a degree that you would not immediately realize it.

I think that is called dynamic level and A.I. design. At least to a degree. Allowing the player to be more free, explore, and try to figure out his own way of doing things, only punishing him if absolutely necessary and finding a way to avoid game-over screens when possible.

That's my opinion at least.

Really liked that Black Flag outcome you managed to achieve. Black flag is certainly a step in the right direction. Developers often come with great ideias and then drop the next time, which makes me think finding the balance is really hard somehow.

AC1 is a very primitive game in a lot of ways. I also feel like aI miss a lot of feature that I take for granted after playing the later games (like corner cover, killing from hiding spots etc). Goofing around in the kingdom and trying to infiltrate various enemy camps is a horrible experience imo, because you just lack the tools and stealth is so brittle.

I appreciate like the purity in some ways though.

Yes, purity is appreciated, but you hit right the spot for me: the world they built for AC1 was beautiful but the lack of tools made the experience suffer. I was just playing by the kingdom and realized just what you said: what's the point. There are camps to infiltrate but the whole thing is so simplistic that there is really no incentive to find ways to do it. You are going to get detected no matter what.

deadlyh1t
03-30-2014, 12:29 AM

EDIT 2:

WAIT WAIT WAIT! WHAT? AIR ASSASSINATION ON AC1? wow i never knew you can do it. AND WHAT THE **** AT 1.01 how he does that? how he croses those boxes like that? it looks like the engine of AC 3 and Black flag

Megas_Doux
03-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Gameplay aside, AC I has, along with AC IV, my favorite overall atmosphere in the franchise!

frodrigues55
03-30-2014, 02:24 AM
WAIT WAIT WAIT! WHAT? AIR ASSASSINATION ON AC1? wow i never knew you can do it. AND WHAT THE **** AT 1.01 how he does that? how he croses those boxes like that? it looks like the engine of AC 3 and Black flag

My god, he can vault through boxes as well? :eek: what the hell!

Megas_Doux
03-30-2014, 02:33 AM

That move was gone during Ezio trilogy if my memory does not betray me, back in AC III.

Jexx21
03-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Actually doing the vault in AC1 is an annoying process though. Or at least it is on keyboard.

RinoTheBouncer
03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
I feel you, my friend. Iíve played the whole series twice in 2013 (Of course, Iíve played them before since ACI, ACII,..etc. came out) but did a full replay, twice, last year. It was so epic and also sad as well. I felt so nostalgic, playing the first 3 games and also the same excitement of the first play through. One thing that saddens me is how things started to go down after ACIII.

Consus_E
03-30-2014, 12:20 PM
We'll always have AC1...

Dome500
03-30-2014, 02:00 PM
One thing that saddens me is how things started to go down after ACIII.

How can you properly evaluate this if there is only 1 game which exists that is after AC3?
I do not think "things started to go down".

Modern Day started to go down? You bet.
But the historical part was okay IMO.

Farlander1991
03-30-2014, 03:51 PM

Vaulting in AC1 is kinda hard to do, glitchy, and doesn't really look good. Feels like a left-over from a cut feature. In AC2 they've just removed traces of it.

jdowny
03-30-2014, 06:44 PM

I discovered that move completely by accident. It's cool, but only useful in very specific circumstances. You can do it by pressing shift (or whichever button you use to pickpocket), but it only works after Altair has hopped up on one object and only if there's another object for you to hop across/onto after it.

But the air assassination - I'm surprised how many people didn't know about that. It's one of my favourite moves in the game. There was a great video somewhere of someone air assassinating Majd Addin in four jumps straight from the top of a block of flats to the bottom.

Assassin_M
03-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes, I completlely agree on having freedom to approach and scape. But that freedom is held back by the lack of tools. Sure, you enter by the ceiling, but you end up having to go all the way down anyway because you cannot air assassinate (at least until now lol). Or you can enter, sit on a bench and patiently wait for your victim. But you end up having to walk to the target anyway because you cannot assassinate from hiding spots. It always end up the same no matter how you got there.

That's what I was realizing. The following games gave you 100 new ways to kill your target, but took away the freedom to approach. It seems we can't have it all lol.

I agree with being a blade in a crowd. I'm hoping Unity is a signs of things to come when it comes to simplicity in character design. It really worked for AC1 and even 4, but the others were ridiculously flashy.

well, you CAN air assassinate and some targets walked towards the bench, you only had to get up and Assassinate, which is basically a manual assassination from hiding spot. I never really cared for tools in AC I. the simple concept was supported by the freedom of approach. I didn't feel like I needed tools at all. I had my hidden blade and throwing knives and that's all I really needed.

Shahkulu101
03-30-2014, 07:06 PM
well, you CAN air assassinate and some targets walked towards the bench, you only had to get up and Assassinate, which is basically a manual assassination from hiding spot. I never really cared for tools in AC I. the simple concept was supported by the freedom of approach. I didn't feel like I needed tools at all. I had my hidden blade and throwing knives and that's all I really needed.

You did not yearn for a flintlock and auto-kill combat? Huh...

Assassin_M
03-30-2014, 07:14 PM
It's a difference when the game MAKES you yearn for it and when the idea just pops in your head because you know...variety. The game itself was self contained. It didnt make me feel like i needed any of those. the only thing it made me feel like I need is more variety to investigations but more tools and weapons? Nah...i was satisfied with the concept of lightly armed in this game. Did i think about wanting more tools and/or weapons? sure but that's just because i'm always thinking of different scenarios for games.

"a bow would be awesome"
"a crossbow would be cool"
"a gun is badass"

that thing

Shahkulu101
03-30-2014, 07:19 PM
I kinda gathered that - I was kidding, M. :nonchalance:

jdowny
03-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Was that sarcasm? :p

I never really cared for tools in AC I. the simple concept was supported by the freedom of approach. I didn't feel like I needed tools at all. I had my hidden blade and throwing knives and that's all I really needed.

Y'now, I'm not sure I've ever agreed with you more.

Assassin_M
03-30-2014, 07:22 PM
I kinda gathered that - I was kidding, M. :nonchalance:
Oh....i...apologize for the miscommunication, I do not mean to insult your intelligence D:

Was that sarcasm? :p
seems like it was, i need my detector oiled >_>

Jexx21
03-31-2014, 12:00 AM
when I go back to AC1 I have issues completing it.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-31-2014, 12:59 AM
when I go back to AC1 I have issues completing it.

Do bare minimum of required missions to advance the assassination to finale and try to mix up which type of it you do as much as possible. Forget about completionist OCD in AC1. When I replay it and take shortest path posssible, I do enjoy it actually. First playthrough when I tried to do everything was an utter nightmare

SixKeys
03-31-2014, 01:42 AM
I like doing everything in AC1 every time I replay it. I don't find it boring. Then again, I have the PC version which has a few extra missions.

frodrigues55
04-01-2014, 04:59 PM
OK, when I opened this thread I had no ideia I would discover new moves on AC1 :eek: Thanks guys, you were very helpfull. Why did they hide air assassination so much though? It's not easy doing it but the animation looks so cool.

I wish I could think the same. While the freedom is great, it's a bit frustrating to me going back to it and realize all the missing moves which would complete the experience for me. Of course, if you play AC1 first you will have no ideia what it is missing. But everything gives me so many choices, I can't help but try to do some of the newer moves and realize I can't. It's like the game waits for you to do a move you can't do, which is a bit frustrating. So many choices and so little tools. Everything will always end the same way - walking to the target, period.

Hans684
04-01-2014, 06:03 PM
It's refreshing too since it's the only simulator style AC, but I always do every mission when replaying. I kill one or two target per day(maybe 3), it's so slow and the planing and choke points is so easy. I don't plan(I plan on the fly) and still get a clean assassination. If you compare Hitman and AC1(both assassination simulators) it's peaty clear why AC1 is considered boring/slow, it challenged Hitman series and did it with less assassination focus, easy "planing", easy "choke points"(entry/exit). While I play AC for what it is, no matter what happens AC with or without simulator style will never beat Hitman. The combat is "realistic" but easy, it makes me sleep. The only time I didn't sleep is the first time I meet a Templar knight(those random placed guards), after their first attack I have always been able to kill one even at the lowest level(becouse of planing). Then we have two last boss fights. If compared to Hitman(in term of assassination, investigation and all that except combat and other special AC stuff) AC1 is a brainless simulator.

phoenix-force411
04-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Air Assassination is very possible in AC1, and it's probably the most fluid Air Assassination. AC1 also had the best combat system as well.

frodrigues55
04-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Air Assassination is very possible in AC1, and it's probably the most fluid Air Assassination.

Yeah, we have stablished that on the coments, already ;) It doesn't look like it's something the developers wanted people to find out, though. It's not presented in the gameplay and it hardly works as intended. So to me, it doesn't really affect anything else I said on the OP.

AC1 also had the best combat system as well.

I guess that's subjective :p

danykk2009
04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
AC1 also had the best combat system as well.

I don't know about that, but for sure it had the simpler combat.....

dxsxhxcx
04-02-2014, 03:16 PM
It's refreshing too since it's the only simulator style AC, but I always do every mission when replaying. I kill one or two target per day(maybe 3), it's so slow and the planing and choke points is so easy. I don't plan(I plan on the fly) and still get a clean assassination. If you compare Hitman and AC1(both assassination simulators) it's peaty clear why AC1 is considered boring/slow, it challenged Hitman series and did it with less assassination focus, easy "planing", easy "choke points"(entry/exit). While I play AC for what it is, no matter what happens AC with or without simulator style will never beat Hitman. The combat is "realistic" but easy, it makes me sleep. The only time I didn't sleep is the first time I meet a Templar knight(those random placed guards), after their first attack I have always been able to kill one even at the lowest level(becouse of planing). Then we have two last boss fights. If compared to Hitman(in term of assassination, investigation and all that except combat and other special AC stuff) AC1 is a brainless simulator.

one thing I love about Hitman is how they make every (or at least most of them) dead body matter, I just can't kill someone and left it there to rot, I have to hide it (when it's possible) or put in a place where I believe guards going to that area will have more trouble to find...

Hans684
04-02-2014, 04:09 PM
one thing I love about Hitman is how they make every (or at least most of them) dead body matter, I just can't kill someone and left it there to rot, I have to hide it (when it's possible) or put in a place where I believe guards going to that area will have more trouble to find...

Exactly, it keeps the player thinking all the time. Historically the Assassins did kill in the open but not like the games where we can just walk up and "assassinate" someone by "planing". The info we get by "investigation" is rarely useful and sometimes it's "you don't say" moments. There is also no disguises(only special missions or AC: L), something Assassin did use historically. There is no depth. Then Patrice(and Ubisoft) dropped the simulator style for AC2 - AC3 and then it had some comebacks in AC4BF, and AC: L. It fails where Hitman doesn't, that's why it's boring/slow. If they want to look for inspiration in other games the awnser is Hitman. Personally I think they should use the adventure style for activities, historical stuff and all story missions except the 2-4 where we investigate(if possible by the story and the history) and the assassination missions.