PDA

View Full Version : Joffrey Yohalem for AC Unity? please?

Pitalla
03-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Am I the only one that would like to see Joffrey Yohalem back to have the writting reigns for the AC games? I mean lets be honest, the games after brotherhood wherent exactly very smart and solid in terms of writing. Characters where often attempting to be tragic like Ezio and they even turned altair into a tragic character and a shadow of the awesomeness. It felt as if I was looking at a fan fiction. And in a sense it could be if we where to talk about the pen and paper rules.

Now why do I say Jeoffrey Yohalem? Didnt you guys liked AC1,AC2 and Brotherhood? Heck Brotherhood even won an award so why the heck no?
Yohalem's scripts usually feel heroic and not far fetched nor over the top, nor boring. He creates awesome and compelling characters and fun situations to play. He always puts the extra to the little details and has even given us awesome fan service while making it feel awesome. So awesome that they even attempted to do the same with Altair " killing Maria? seriously?"

So what do you guys think? would you like to see him back?

I would also say that I would like to see Patrice Desilets back but I am not going to go into that cause of reasons...

ajl992008
03-29-2014, 01:27 AM
to me personally I felt his stories were the weakest, I disliked brotherhood's story, writing and the way it portrayed its characters. my favourite stories were in revelations and black flag, both of which were done by darby, I personally think it will actually be a new writer on this particular entry, if not I would like corey to write it.

Assassin_M
03-29-2014, 01:30 AM
Where do I start :|

First, Jefferey only wrote Brotherhood and the Glyphs in AC II. Corey wrote AC II and AC I was written by him and Patrice.

I mean lets be honest, the games after brotherhood wherent exactly very smart and solid in terms of writing. Characters where often attempting to be tragic like Ezio
No, I don't think Brotherhood was smart. I thought Brotherhood's story was the worst in the series. marred by a cliche tale of liberation (Liberation is not cliche, it's the way they went about it), lackluster antagonists and a terrible cast of characters. If you thought Brotherhood was smart then fine and dandy but don't "lets be honest" anyone...I thought ACB's story sucked..also, since when did Ezio monopolize the tragic character type of story??

Now why do I say Jeoffrey Yohalem? Didnt you guys liked AC1,AC2 and Brotherhood?
Not the stories, no..

Heck Brotherhood even won an award so why the heck no?
Because call of duty wins awards too...

Yohalem's scripts usually feel heroic and not far fetched nor over the top, nor boring. He creates awesome and compelling characters and fun situations to play. He always puts the extra to the little details and has even given us awesome fan service while making it feel awesome. So awesome that they even attempted to do the same with Altair " killing Maria? seriously?"
You know I read this and think "maybe he's trolling" this is so ridiculous I can't even begin..how is a single man, single highhandedly, planning, liberating, fighting and killing EVERYONE not over the top? How is turning Bartolomeo D Alviano (a great military strategist historically) into the cliche "big guy is dumb dumb want only fight" buffoon compelling? How is turning Cesare Borgia (a notable military tactician respected widely for his skill and wit) into a crying, running baby compelling? How is creating 2D bland, mustache twirling, cartoonistic antagonists create fun situations to play in?? how is ANY of this smart?? if you like it, that's completely fine but it's not smart, no..

So what do you guys think? would you like to see him back?
right now, the only thing I have going for me with Jeffery's name on it is Brotherhood. Maybe he's a good writer...decent at best. maybe Brotherhood just wasnt his best attempt ever but right now....looking at Brotherhood...I wouldn't buy another game written by him

I would also say that I would like to see Patrice Desilets back but I am not going to go into that cause of reasons...
Eh, Patrice had a nice vision with AC I, but it was ruined by AC II...

ajl992008
03-29-2014, 01:38 AM
M covered everything I think perfectly. If anything I reckon they will let him write the rumored AC comet title, the only writers I trust in this brand are darby and corey, but darby a lot more because the stories he has written are just fantastic and really give me the closure and satisfaction I want after playing. Brotherhoods story was so bad that I felt NOTHING when lucy suddenly died at the end because I was so frustrated and bored with the games story that I just didn't care at all. I really ohpe it is corey seeing as unity has a clear ac1 vibe to it, corey can go back to his routes and write a similar grey story like ac1, maybe a combination of ac1 and ac3 would be great.

Rugterwyper32
03-29-2014, 01:39 AM
We know the true writer for Unity will be Joffrey Lannister anyway

Consus_E
03-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Yohalem's scripts usually feel heroic and not far fetched nor over the top

That's where I stopped reading...

RagingDragon14
03-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Yohalem's scripts usually feel heroic and not far fetched nor over the top, nor boring.

If Ezio screaming "Vittoria Agli Assassini" during an all out brawl in the middle of Rome isn't over the top, then I don't know wtf is. Especially when you consider that the Assassins and the Templars are SUPPOSED to be clandestine organizations.

souNdwAve89
03-29-2014, 02:12 AM
The game has been in development for over three years, so there's no way he can just come in and rewrite it. He's also busy working on Child of Light right now anyways. Corey May is probably the writer for Unity since Corey and Darby alternate between games.

If Ezio screaming "Vittoria Agli Assassini" during an all out brawl in the middle of Rome isn't over the top, then I don't know wtf is. Especially when you consider that the Assassins and the Templars are SUPPOSED to be clandestine organizations.

lol, same with Caterina screaming that when she rode off. And how the Turkish Assassin would hang huge banners with an Assassin symbol on controlled towers in Revelations.

RagingDragon14
03-29-2014, 02:23 AM
lol, same with Caterina screaming that when she rode off. And how the Turkish Assassin would hang huge banners with an Assassin symbol on controlled towers in Revelations.

Honestly, Brotherhood's story, while introducing some interesting elements that haven't been touched on since, really cheapened the series. It was basically, an summer action, popcorn flick. Explosions, danger, cliched villains, plot twist, like DUDE WHOA.

http://replygif.net/i/537.gif

And Ezio was, essentially, turned into the Renaissance's answer to a dudebro.

Calvarok
03-29-2014, 05:20 AM
After seeing what he did as a lead writer in Brotherhood... Ezio turned into a generic "hero" devoid of personality or any sort of character development, only really there to make up ridiculous plans that always work and always be in the right in every argument... some ethereal nothing with Cesare and the animus story ending that made no sense...

The only thing satisfying about Brotherhood was the modern story. And then he did similarly weird stuff with Far Cry 3's story. Him being the lead writer wouldn't exactly make me happy. I hope he's just focusing on his JRPG inspired game. no offense, but I think his style of writing is far more suited to that genre.

souNdwAve89
03-29-2014, 07:38 AM
After seeing what he did as a lead writer in Brotherhood... Ezio turned into a generic "hero" devoid of personality or any sort of character development, only really there to make up ridiculous plans that always work and always be in the right in every argument... some ethereal nothing with Cesare and the animus story ending that made no sense...

The only thing satisfying about Brotherhood was the modern story. And then he did similarly weird stuff with Far Cry 3's story. Him being the lead writer wouldn't exactly make me happy. I hope he's just focusing on his JRPG inspired game. no offense, but I think his style of writing is far more suited to that genre.

Yeah, the modern day portion in Brotherhood was great. It gave me nerd chills when you played as Desmond, and returning to modern day Monteriggioni and the Colosseum.

LoyalACFan
03-29-2014, 08:57 AM
I agree 100% with everything M said. Brotherhood's story was the definition of "over the top." Maybe it just wasn't his best work, but based purely on his efforts in Brotherhood, I have no reason to wish for his return. Darby McDevitt is leagues better, but he's already said he's not writing Unity so I dunno who is.

deskp
03-29-2014, 09:09 AM
its way too late to ask for a writer for unity, msot of the writing has been done for that already.

If you wanna suggest a writer do so for the game coming out 3 years from now ;)

andreycvetov
03-29-2014, 09:23 AM
After replaying all the games recently i found out for myself that I really like the writing in both ac3 and black flag.I hope it will stay the same for future installments

Calvarok
03-29-2014, 09:36 AM
After replaying all the games recently i found out for myself that I really like the writing in both ac3 and black flag.I hope it will stay the same for future installments
AC3's narrative did have some issues, but I really do think it was a turning point for the quality of the writing and performances.

And for me, it was overall the most compelling, interesting, and focused AC story so far.

Those animus corridor moments are so perfect. Each Templar's final words were so much better executed than either AC1, where they were all written to explain they were doing the right thing in the exact same way with very little variation across all 9 of them, and most of the other games, where they were usually just deluded and power-hungry. Each Templar in AC3 felt unique, and in killing them I felt like I truly saw them as a person, not just an enemy. And then Charles Lee's death... some may complain because we didn't get to kill him ourselves, and I get that, but honestly, I don't care because of how amazing that scene was, and how much it conveyed with no words. It wouldn't have been possible if we'd just air assassinated him two seconds ago.

Edward's story was an interesting outsider perspective on the Templar/Assassin conflict, and did some interesting stuff with its focus on things other than that secret war, but I really want Unity to attempt to top AC3, with an in-depth exploration of the two orders and their goals, from a person who's very much a part of that world. If it did that, had a better paced intro and a few less parts where the story stumbles, it could be my new favorite AC game.

Dome500
03-29-2014, 03:35 PM
and they even turned altair into a tragic character and a shadow of the awesomeness

Not my opinion.

Altair was always wise, philosophical and yes he had feelings.
Sure he was arrogant at first and also straight-to-business in AC1, but for me personally the Altair we get to know from the codex pages in AC2 and the shards in ACR are a natural progression of the Altair in AC1 (minus the voice, which was changed to sound more authentic).

to me personally I felt his stories were the weakest, I disliked brotherhood's story, writing and the way it portrayed its characters. my favourite stories were in revelations and black flag, both of which were done by darby, I personally think it will actually be a new writer on this particular entry, if not I would like corey to write it.

My favorite stories were actually both AC1 and AC2, as well as ACR (and maybe AC4).

Brotherhood was the weakest and AC3 was the most flawed (in some areas) in my personal opinion.

Those animus corridor moments are so perfect. Each Templar's final words were so much better executed than either AC1, where they were all written to explain they were doing the right thing in the exact same way with very little variation across all 9 of them, and most of the other games, where they were usually just deluded and power-hungry.

Have to agree on this.

Though I have to say that AC1 also did it pretty good, even if I have to admit the dying words were pretty "similar", I also like the fact that in AC1 the Templars were not cliche power-hungry villains. And AC3 (actually already ACR, but to a lesser extend) brought this up again, and I really hope they continue on the course of action, to actually humanize the Templars more and make them more interesting and less villain-like but more like a "respected opponent" who has similar goals but in the end is (from the perspective of the Assassins) wrong in his/their believe(s).

So yes, AC3 did that pretty well, and they also had some very good storyline parts. The problem I see in AC3 is the shoehorning, the pace of the storyline (sometimes it was too fast, other times it went on a little too slow and dragging) and Connors personality (no offense guys, that's a personal POV, so no actual point of criticism) and some rather odd design and character choices like the fact that the naval part was so disjointed and had no real explanation as to why you need this "asset" and what those naval missions gain you together with things like Paul Reveres Ride (I mean come on, they could have taken 2 horses, or not?), Charles Lee and Desmonds ending. Some stuff in the end that made it not as good as it could have been.

But all in all, yes I agree, they laid the foundation of a new form of storytelling, to introduce the Templars as not cliched villains but humans with noble goals but a flawed way to reach them, to show the Assassins are not perfect, to establish a good storyline focus and a new compelling way to tell those stories, and of course for the Assassination death dialogues.

jayjay275
03-29-2014, 03:39 PM
AC3's narrative did have some issues, but I really do think it was a turning point for the quality of the writing and performances.

And for me, it was overall the most compelling, interesting, and focused AC story so far.

Those animus corridor moments are so perfect. Each Templar's final words were so much better executed than either AC1, where they were all written to explain they were doing the right thing in the exact same way with very little variation across all 9 of them, and most of the other games, where they were usually just deluded and power-hungry. Each Templar in AC3 felt unique, and in killing them I felt like I truly saw them as a person, not just an enemy. And then Charles Lee's death... some may complain because we didn't get to kill him ourselves, and I get that, but honestly, I don't care because of how amazing that scene was, and how much it conveyed with no words. It wouldn't have been possible if we'd just air assassinated him two seconds ago.

Edward's story was an interesting outsider perspective on the Templar/Assassin conflict, and did some interesting stuff with its focus on things other than that secret war, but I really want Unity to attempt to top AC3, with an in-depth exploration of the two orders and their goals, from a person who's very much a part of that world. If it did that, had a better paced intro and a few less parts where the story stumbles, it could be my new favorite AC game.

I agree with this post entirely. AC3 did have great writing but was let down in some ways.

Pitalla
03-30-2014, 12:14 AM

First, Jefferey only wrote Brotherhood and the Glyphs in AC II. Corey wrote AC II and AC I was written by him and Patrice.[QUOTE]
Check the credits once more and the writing styles speak very different to what you are saying.

[QUOTE=Assassin_M;9892724]
No, I don't think Brotherhood was smart. I thought Brotherhood's story was the worst in the series. marred by a cliche tale of liberation (Liberation is not cliche, it's the way they went about it), lackluster antagonists and a terrible cast of characters. If you thought Brotherhood was smart then fine and dandy but don't "lets be honest" anyone...I thought ACB's story sucked..also, since when did Ezio monopolize the tragic character type of story??
Bwhahaha! You really think Brotherhood has been the worst in the series? I cant even...
If Brotherhood was the worst then the ones that followed are even worst cause they are rehashed and patched gameplay, physics and silhouette.
Its not about monopolization dude, its about turning every character into the same sob tragic crap, specially when there are only three ones around. Back at that time.

For writing or for gameplay? Then again do you think Call of duty is a bad game? Or are you saying because of them making a game after game making it crap? If that where so, then that would make you into a ultimate hypocrite because you are liking all the "yearly games that AC has had and those are basically "Revelations, AC3 and AC4" Brotherhood doesn't count because it was supposed to be an expansion. Then again those do not have the feats that Brotherhood has. If you didnt like it then that's your opinion and its respectable but "feats >>> your great truth statements"

You know I read this and think "maybe he's trolling" this is so ridiculous I can't even begin..how is a single man, single highhandedly, planning, liberating, fighting and killing EVERYONE not over the top? How is turning Bartolomeo D Alviano (a great military strategist historically) into the cliche "big guy is dumb dumb want only fight" buffoon compelling? How is turning Cesare Borgia (a notable military tactician respected widely for his skill and wit) into a crying, running baby compelling? How is creating 2D bland, mustache twirling, cartoonistic antagonists create fun situations to play in?? how is ANY of this smart?? if you like it, that's completely fine but it's not smart, no..
Gee I don't know, how about you look at AC3, Revelations and 4 and make the same statement, cause if you think ACB its cheesy, those are far way more on top of Cheese mountain. To a degree that they could had been made by Michael Bay.

right now, the only thing I have going for me with Jeffery's name on it is Brotherhood. Maybe he's a good writer...decent at best. maybe Brotherhood just wasnt his best attempt ever but right now....looking at Brotherhood...I wouldn't buy another game written by him

Check the credits again.

Honestly, Brotherhood's story, while introducing some interesting elements that haven't been touched on since, really cheapened the series. It was basically, an summer action, popcorn flick. Explosions, danger, cliched villains, plot twist, like DUDE WHOA.

Strange, that just sounds like Revelations. Which is basically a Michael Bay flick. Are you sure you arent confusing them.

Anyways, if Brotherhood story was so bad as you say so then how come it won so many awards? Yohalem even got praised by people in Hollywood.

Pitalla
03-30-2014, 12:16 AM
M covered everything I think perfectly. If anything I reckon they will let him write the rumored AC comet title, the only writers I trust in this brand are darby and corey, but darby a lot more because the stories he has written are just fantastic and really give me the closure and satisfaction I want after playing. Brotherhoods story was so bad that I felt NOTHING when lucy suddenly died at the end because I was so frustrated and bored with the games story that I just didn't care at all. I really ohpe it is corey seeing as unity has a clear ac1 vibe to it, corey can go back to his routes and write a similar grey story like ac1, maybe a combination of ac1 and ac3 would be great.
So you like bland characters with no personality, over the top cheesy situations that look like a Michael bay movie. Loads of exposition with inserted character devices and out of character situations.
Your opinion its respectable but contradictory in the same way, thus makes it questionable in my eyes. Thank you for sharing it thought.

I don't know if people are just trolling, or if they seriously like this stuff which is very badly written. Then again users from 2011, makes sense they only like the newest stuff.

its like, did you even played the game? Do you know it is supposed to be an expansion? That Ezio has grown up. Then no personality?

People here really need to read more books. Not only the quality in the games became poorer, but something else did.
And with that I sadly sign off. Good day.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 01:57 AM
So you like bland characters with no personality, over the top cheesy situations that look like a Michael bay movie. Loads of exposition with inserted character devices and out of character situations.
Your opinion its respectable but contradictory in the same way, thus makes it questionable in my eyes. Thank you for sharing it thought.

I don't know if people are just trolling, or if they seriously like this stuff which is very badly written. Then again users from 2011, makes sense they only like the newest stuff.

its like, did you even played the game? Do you know it is supposed to be an expansion? That Ezio has grown up. Then no personality?

People here really need to read more books. Not only the quality in the games became poorer, but something else did.
And with that I sadly sign off. Good day.

No real person ever grows up to the point where they have nothing to learn and no personal journey. Ezio didn't have a journey in Brotherhood. He had the beginnings of one at the start, but it never really went anywhere. He was a flat character, and just not very interesting. People who had been great characters in AC2 were made more stereotypical and broad. Cesare was not built up properly to really earn being the main villain, and had no real interesting Templar plans.

Revelations was a far better story, the best of the Ezio trilogy, because Ezio started in once place and ended in another. He learned things, he met interesting and complex people, and his nemesis was not a one-dimensional cartoon villain.

it's a very interesting tactic, by the way, assuming people who don't agree with you "don't read books" for some reason.

Will_Lucky
03-30-2014, 03:59 AM
Christ, god no. Brotherhood was the worst story of the lot. Underdeveloped and obviously put together to simply serve the fact AC2 had its ending shifted from 1503 to 1499. The great character of Cesare Borgia reduced to nothing, literally nothing. I do wish to this day they'd just gone ahead and ended AC2 in 1503 as they had intended. Not to mention Machiavelli was completely messed up, historically he considered Cesare to be the first of a new type of politician, the first of the best type in getting what they wanted.

Ezio practically a wooden spoon in terms of personality in the entire thing showed no progress for the seven years, thank god Revelations happened and redeemed him as a character because that game was a mess. Heck, only reason he became Mentor of the Assassins Order was because everyone else around him was so devoid of leadership.

At least they got Rodrigo down fine after everything that happened, I'm thankful he took a backseat rather then be destroyed. Same goes for Leonardo he managed to emerge unscathed.

So yeah, Brotherhood stands as the worst of the lot in terms of story. And that award it won the WGA? Yeah great award....failed to nominate Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect 2 in that year and had AC gone up against either of them especially the former well game over Brotherhoods tale was nothing compared to Redemption.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Man, I didn't think of that. Jeez, it definitely didn't deserve to win out against Red Dead. That game was on a whole other level, even if it had some pacing problems. John Marston is so much more dynamic and interesting than Ezio in Brotherhood.

Assassin_M
03-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Bwhahaha! You really think Brotherhood has been the worst in the series? I cant even...
If Brotherhood was the worst then the ones that followed are even worst cause they are rehashed and patched gameplay, physics and silhouette.
Its not about monopolization dude, its about turning every character into the same sob tragic crap, specially when there are only three ones around. Back at that time.

For writing or for gameplay? Then again do you think Call of duty is a bad game? Or are you saying because of them making a game after game making it crap? If that where so, then that would make you into a ultimate hypocrite because you are liking all the "yearly games that AC has had and those are basically "Revelations, AC3 and AC4" Brotherhood doesn't count because it was supposed to be an expansion. Then again those do not have the feats that Brotherhood has. If you didnt like it then that's your opinion and its respectable but "feats >>> your great truth statements"

Gee I don't know, how about you look at AC3, Revelations and 4 and make the same statement, cause if you think ACB its cheesy, those are far way more on top of Cheese mountain. To a degree that they could had been made by Michael Bay.

Check the credits again.

Strange, that just sounds like Revelations. Which is basically a Michael Bay flick. Are you sure you arent confusing them.

Anyways, if Brotherhood story was so bad as you say so then how come it won so many awards? Yohalem even got praised by people in Hollywood.
I think you've ridiculed yourself enough, no need for me to embarrass you further. would be a waste of my time anyway, everyone else has done it for me..

zkorejo
03-30-2014, 08:09 AM
We know the true writer for Unity will be Joffrey Lannister anyway

Just thank God that George RR Martin isnt the writer.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Today I learned that Micheal Bay made a movie where the main character picks flowers and has a picnic, called Assassin's Creed Reveleations

Assassin_M
03-30-2014, 08:44 AM
I still don't understand how awards and praise from Hollywood = good

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 08:52 AM
I still don't understand how awards and praise from Hollywood = good
Oh my gosh... is AC Brotherhood an Oscar Bait game? I think it might be... they got the requisite collection of inoffensive and broad themes, for sure. At least in the animus parts.

Hans684
03-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Just thank God that George RR Martin isnt the writer.

I would play that.

And when it comes to Brotherhood. I find it as dissepointing as people say AC3 is. And M has already said what I'm was going to say regarding Brotherhood.

Jexx21
03-30-2014, 09:41 AM
ACB's story was the worst in the series but the cast of characters was tighter and smaller and their interactions were more interesting than in AC2.

ACB's gameplay was better than the previous though.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 09:52 AM
ACB's story was the worst in the series but the cast of characters was tighter and smaller and their interactions were more interesting than in AC2.

ACB's gameplay was better than the previous though.
The actual gameplay tuning, such as enemy detection speed and such, was great. What wasn't great were the missions designed for that. Super linear and scripted, TONS of endless and complex tailing missions, so few free-form assassinations, so many forced-combat sequences.

Jexx21
03-30-2014, 09:54 AM
All I know is, I had more fun playing ACB than AC1 or AC2.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 07:58 PM
All I know is, I had more fun playing ACB than AC1 or AC2.

It was definitely the most polished, even if its design was the least imaginative.

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 08:41 PM
I don't care who writes it, I care about the result. For acb Joffrey maybe intended to write such a story. I am sure he knows what we think about it. If he has brains he will take the critisism into account and learn from his mistakes.

BATISTABUS
03-31-2014, 01:57 AM
M'd.

Assassin_M
03-31-2014, 02:36 AM
M'd.
*high five*

BATISTABUS
03-31-2014, 02:47 AM
*high five*
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/185/a/8/A__sC__Changing_of_the_guard_by_Jael_Kolken.jpg

Dev_Anj
03-31-2014, 01:59 PM

First, Jefferey only wrote Brotherhood and the Glyphs in AC II. Corey wrote AC II and AC I was written by him and Patrice.

Not the stories, no..

Eh, Patrice had a nice vision with AC I, but it was ruined by AC II...

One of the best posts on this forums I've seen. Good job!