PDA

View Full Version : *would be “very stupid” not to satisfy the consumer’s need for an Assassin’s Creed re

AlexEzio89
03-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Ubisoft’s VP of creative Lionel Raynaud has said the company would be “very stupid” not to satisfy the consumer’s need for an Assassin’s Creed release every year. http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/28/we-would-be-very-stupid-to-ignore-fans-need-for-annual-assassins-creed-says-ubisoft/

STDlyMcStudpants
03-28-2014, 07:11 PM
agreed

Bastiaen
03-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Financially, yes it would. As a business, they will keep making them as fast as they can until we stop buying them, which most of us won' t do any time soon.

AlexEzio89
03-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Personal can wait to see more about ac Unity i wait to preorder :)

dxsxhxcx
03-28-2014, 08:15 PM
no one died waiting for the release of AC2 two years after AC1..

Farlander1991
03-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Nobody has died of yearly releases either, to be fair.

As far as it saddens me that I feel that so far AC games haven't opened up to their full potential (though I hope that Unity with its long production period of time, being next-gen, and also those talks of rescoping, is going to be a kick in proper direction), objectively speaking they're quality games (yes, even AC3 :p ) and their sales haven't faltered.

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm so glad AC has yearly releases.

I had to wait 6 years for Zelda Skyward Sword to come out.

Not having to wait so freakin' long is a breath of fresh air.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-28-2014, 08:59 PM
And when the formula crashes, the series may be in as big troubles as big the milking was. So yeah, maybe 2 year cycle at least would be safer approach Ubi...

GunnerGalactico
03-28-2014, 09:04 PM

Well I'm not exactly complaining with yearly AC releases either, I may not know what it's like to wait 6 years for game to be released but I do know how frustrating it is to wait for my favourite game franchises like Tekken, Uncharted, God of War and Batman Arkham series.

And when the formula crashes, the series may be in as big troubles as big the milking was. So yeah, maybe 2 year cycle at least would be safer approach Ubi...

Kinda agree with this too. The plot could lose it's appeal and burnout.

Kirokill
03-28-2014, 09:04 PM

I agree on this to make a more time consuming game than a one that can be finished in three months. AC3 was more time consuming to 100% than AC4. And ACB takes the longest to 100%.

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Well I'm not exactly complaining with yearly AC releases either, I may not know what it's like to wait 6 years for game to be released but I do know how frustrating it is to wait for my favourite game franchises like Tekken, Uncharted, God of War and Batman Arkham series.

It sucks. its been 3 years and zelda u hasnt even been officially announced yet. probably not gonna get it until at least late 2015

ze_topazio
03-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Spirit Tracks was released 2 years before Skyward Sword.

Zafar1981
03-28-2014, 09:26 PM
To be honest I like yearly release, esp 2 games in single year. I love reading books on history and I have no problem if there are two books in two months. If some friends doesn't like annul release then its good for them to make a gap by themselves and let us play every year.

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Spirit Tracks was released 2 years before Skyward Sword.

.......... Good point.....

Though it's made by a different branch....But I admit it's my favorite hand held zelda game

I'll give you that point. :rolleyes:

RatonhnhakeFan
03-28-2014, 09:38 PM
To be honest I like yearly release, esp 2 games in single year. I love reading books on history and I have no problem if there are two books in two months. If some friends doesn't like annul release then its good for them to make a gap by themselves and let us play every year.

Sometimes a yearly release makes sense and doesn't really bother anyone. I don't think anyone minded ACB. But did we need ACR? Nope. We could've perfectly taken a break till AC3. We could have a 2 year break between AC4 and Unity as well. The problem is that Ubisoft doesn't do what makes sense, sometimes a break/sometimes no break, they just do annual cash grab. For all the talking how they give developers a lot of time there is NO room for delays in AC schedule, there has to be 1 game released every Holiday season.

Will_Lucky
03-28-2014, 09:52 PM
It sucks. its been 3 years and zelda u hasnt even been officially announced yet. probably not gonna get it until at least late 2015

Late 2015? We'll be lucky to see that then :P.

Meh, they keep selling I'll keep buying.

Sushiglutton
03-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Yeah when you sell 10million + /year you kind of just have to run with it I suppose.

oliacr
03-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Sometimes a yearly release makes sense and doesn't really bother anyone. I don't think anyone minded ACB. But did we need ACR? Nope. We could've perfectly taken a break till AC3. We could have a 2 year break between AC4 and Unity as well. The problem is that Ubisoft doesn't do what makes sense, sometimes a break/sometimes no break, they just do annual cash grab. For all the talking how they give developers a lot of time there is NO room for delays in AC schedule, there has to be 1 game released every Holiday season.

We needed ACR. or I needed... and they said that every game was in development for more than 2years. like AC3 started in 2010, AC4 started in 2011 and Unity started in 2012. but as the guy said, you don't need to play it if you don't want to.

dxsxhxcx
03-29-2014, 12:06 AM
We needed ACR. or I needed... and they said that every game was in development for more than 2years. like AC3 started in 2010, AC4 started in 2011 and Unity started in 2012. but as the guy said, you don't need to play it if you don't want to.

the games won't get better just because a person choosed to skip a few games, once this person decide to return to the franchise he'll want to continue from where he stopped and the flaws or lack of improvement caused by the yearly releases/parallel development will still be there.

adventurewomen
03-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Exactly! We don't need an AC game every year, we'd survive if we didn't get an AC game for a year or two, like the time frame between AC1 and AC2 was perfect.

deskp
03-29-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm all for yearly releases!

AssassinHMS
03-29-2014, 03:45 AM
I really hate what AC became... the problem is the lack of "similar" competition. AC is the only (as far as I know) franchise that offers a historical open world where the player is free to explore. That right there is the problem. That fact alone grants AC immunity and is the sole reason why games with such a weak core manage to sell. AC is not about gaming or great gameplay (much to my discontent), AC is about the tour plus some support mechanics. That's why every year people want a "new" AC, they want a new tour. Now I want an AC in China, next year I want an AC here, then there, etc. Even if the core is crap, even if the hidden blade is just an excuse for another tour under the notorious name, people will buy it, because...let's face it, it is not about Assassin's Creed, it's not about a great game, it is indeed about the tour, about exploring a new time period and watch some cool hooded guy cut some throats.

Until a new franchise appears with the focus of satisfying the consumers' needs to explore History, Assassin's Creed won't bloom, not because historical games and great gameplay can't coexist, but because Ubisoft isn't "stupid enough" to resist the urge to make quick cash.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-29-2014, 03:53 AM
I really hate what AC became... the problem is the lack of "similar" competition. AC is the only (as far as I know) franchise that offers a historical open world where the player is free to explore. That right there is the problem. That fact alone grants AC immunity and is the sole reason why games with such a weak core manage to sell. AC is not about gaming or great gameplay (much to my discontent), AC is about the tour plus some support mechanics. That's why every year people want a "new" AC, they want a new tour. Now I want an AC in China, next year I want an AC here, then there, etc. Even if the core is crap, even if the hidden blade is just an excuse for another tour under the notorious name, people will buy it, because...let's face it, it is not about Assassin's Creed, it's not about a great game, it is indeed about the tour, about exploring a new time period and watch some cool hooded guy cut some throats.

Until a new franchise appears with the focus of satisfying the consumers' needs to explore History, Assassin's Creed won't bloom, not because historical games and great gameplay can't coexist, but because Ubisoft isn't "stupid enough" to resist the urge to make quick cash.
And in itself, everyone has to admit how brilliant of an idea it was. The franchsie can practically "reboot" itself every installement, with new locations/period/character/weaponary/props and will never be considered as "changing too much" because of its core premise.

kosmoscreed
03-29-2014, 03:59 AM
So his words confirm 4 games in 2 years?.

AssassinHMS
03-29-2014, 04:09 AM
And in itself, everyone has to admit how brilliant of an idea it was. The franchsie can practically "reboot" itself every installement, with new locations/period/character/weaponary/props and will never be considered as "changing too much" because of its core premise.

Exactly. On a side note, it's as if they traded the actual core (stealth, navigation and combat) for a "fake" one (time period, support mechanics and animations).

It may be a smart idea but I still find it despicable for I really cherished AC.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-29-2014, 04:20 AM
So his words confirm 4 games in 2 years?.

Possibly. 2 years into new gen is kinda the breaking point, a separate PS360 AC would likely still sell well on old consoles but I don't think they would make 3rd one for 2016. 3 years into new console cycle most of the core AC audience will move on to PS4bone

poptartz20
03-29-2014, 04:45 AM
well you can only support on gen stuff for so long before it becomes a hassle to really keep it going. but that is still a couple of years down the road.

As far as yearly releases Even though I do wish Ubi would do a break every now and then I don't think I would know what to do with myself if they didn't come out every year. I've come to expect it. and I semi like it.

Calvarok
03-29-2014, 05:33 AM
If this game doesn't feel like a big step forward, I'm likely to not buy next year's game. I hope Ubisoft knows that. I also wish I could have not contributed to their attitude about yearly releases, but honestly I have enjoyed the games so far. But I seriously don't agree with their release schedule. having off-years is the far better strategy, both for the quality of the series and for keeping people interested.

Templar_Az
03-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Years ago I didnt seem to care if a game took years to come out I just bought whatever was good and new at the time. But now with my favourite franchise AC you expect it to come out every year and thats what I hope they carry on doing.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-29-2014, 07:17 PM

No one craved AC2 because AC1 sucked.

Black_Widow9
03-29-2014, 10:56 PM
No one craved AC2 because AC1 sucked.
Yeah it was terrible. :rolleyes:

oliacr
03-29-2014, 11:00 PM
the games won't get better just because a person choosed to skip a few games, once this person decide to return to the franchise he'll want to continue from where he stopped and the flaws or lack of improvement caused by the yearly releases/parallel development will still be there.

It is not my problem. Nobody is forced to play or skip a game.

RinoTheBouncer
03-30-2014, 10:53 AM

I agree, and in exchange for that wait, we got a perfect game that, to this day, it’s still being praised and each AC game is being compared to it.

Hans684
03-30-2014, 03:06 PM
By looking at the sale numbers they are correct, so if anyone is dissapointed/mad with/at Ubisoft and AC's current state, then they have themselves to blame. Anyone heard the the qoute: Vote with your wallet? That sums it up and I'm sure everyone(more or less) here has every(more or less) AC so far. So those million people that keep buying AC every year is just as much to blame as Ubisoft and by looking at the millions it would be very stupid stategi to not release every year. But the way GTA does it is a lot more profitable, just look at GTA V. It gave R* billions, broke records and a golden operturnity to continue milking with 5 years(more or less) between each title. A dead horse/milked cow that will always be taken with open arm by everyone, that is a good stategi for money grabbers that only care about the big score(money, a lot or money).

The current sate of the fanbase each year:

http://i.imgur.com/egl7Z.jpg

STDlyMcStudpants
03-30-2014, 05:54 PM

I feel sorry for these people that get worked up over a product...I either love something or I dont...I dont 'hate it'
Not even AC1.... I dont hate ac1..i just dont love it either :D or like it hahaha
But yeah everyone hates stuff to feel like they fit in...and you can tell who those people are by them crying about yearly releases rather than gameplay itself.....
Yearly releases dont hurt a game...not even development time... what hurts a game is care.....
IMHO Ubisoft still handles Assassins Creed with care....it sets out every year to attract more players with a brilliant experience...
Where activision does none of this....they change skins of the exact same gun, design a 4 hour campaign and 8 maps and let the
'I have to buy this game so I can have fun with my friends' feeling sink in..because if your friend buys the next one..you have to or youll be playing with randoms on the last one...
COD is a clear cashgrab....
Assassins Creed is made out of a love for history....

danykk2009
03-30-2014, 06:04 PM
I feel sorry for these people that get worked up over a product...I either love something or I dont...I dont 'hate it'
Not even AC1.... I dont hate ac1..i just dont love it either :D or like it hahaha
But yeah everyone hates stuff to feel like they fit in...and you can tell who those people are by them crying about yearly releases rather than gameplay itself.....
Yearly releases dont hurt a game...not even development time... what hurts a game is care.....
IMHO Ubisoft still handles Assassins Creed with care....it sets out every year to attract more players with a brilliant experience...
Where activision does none of this....they change skins of the exact same gun, design a 4 hour campaign and 8 maps and let the
'I have to buy this game so I can have fun with my friends' feeling sink in..because if your friend buys the next one..you have to or youll be playing with randoms on the last one...

Only stopped by to say: "Completely agree with you." ;)

Will_Lucky
03-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Wow, you actually think that? Truth be told end of the day Assassins Creed and Call of Duty are far more alike that anyone here would like to admit.

Both are done on 2-3 year Dev Cycles, both have a single player component and a Multiplayer component with one taking prescient over the other.

Call of Duty is bought by 10-15 million a year, as is Assassins Creed. And year in year out the same people get pulled back into both franchises. Both games evolve in terms of mechanics only slightly enough to retain the fans it has, too big a leap for either in the wrong direction especially and you alienate a lot of people.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 06:43 PM
nvm :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
03-30-2014, 06:54 PM
The way they said it made it sound like AC fans are like crack addicts.

Though I wouldn't say that's far off.

Shahkulu101
03-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Wow, you actually think that? Truth be told end of the day Assassins Creed and Call of Duty are far more alike that anyone here would like to admit.

Both are done on 2-3 year Dev Cycles, both have a single player component and a Multiplayer component with one taking prescient over the other.

Call of Duty is bought by 10-15 million a year, as is Assassins Creed. And year in year out the same people get pulled back into both franchises. Both games evolve in terms of mechanics only slightly enough to retain the fans it has, too big a leap for either in the wrong direction especially and you alienate a lot of people.

Hipster alert.

Will_Lucky
03-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Hipster alert.

What? I buy and enjoy both series, I'm just infuriated by the hypocrisy of members of either franchise when they accuse the other of being cash ins.

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 07:49 PM
I hope they realise they are killing te franchise. With every release I see more and more comments about how milked the franchise is. And how they aren't going to buy the next ac, and how tired they are of AC. As long as we keep buying these games ubi will milk ac.

JustPlainQuirky
03-30-2014, 07:51 PM
I hope they realise they are killing te franchise. With every release I see more and more comments about how milked the franchise is. And how they aren't going to buy the next ac, and how tired they are of AC. As long as we keep buying these games ubi will milk ac.

People say a franchise is milked as long as it continues to have sequels. It's a fact of life. Doesn't mean what is being milked is necessarily bad quality.

The best example would probably be the legend of zelda franchise.

AssassinHMS
03-30-2014, 08:03 PM
By looking at the sale numbers they are correct, so if anyone is dissapointed/mad with/at Ubisoft and AC's current state, then they have themselves to blame. Anyone heard the the qoute: Vote with your wallet? That sums it up and I'm sure everyone(more or less) here has every(more or less) AC so far. So those million people that keep buying AC every year is just as much to blame as Ubisoft and by looking at the millions it would be very stupid stategi to not release every year. But the way GTA does it is a lot more profitable, just look at GTA V. It gave R* billions, broke records and a golden operturnity to continue milking with 5 years(more or less) between each title. A dead horse/milked cow that will always be taken with open arm by everyone, that is a good stategi for money grabbers that only care about the big score(money, a lot or money).

This post right here.
Don't know about gtaV as I never played it.

The only reason why AC keeps selling is the fact it is the only open world game that allows you to explore rich historical time periods. It's not like people buy AC to play or feel like an Assassin or to actually enjoy great gameplay, they buy it because of the "tour" aspect of the franchise. It's not about playing a great game, it's about having a good tour. A new protagonist, a new setting plus some new features related to the time period and there you have it, a new tour. The same crappy game though.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Mechanics arent what evolve games and they arent what retain fans...its the experience....
Call of Duty gets sold because of the online experience you have with your friends and clan mates..therefore they keep the addictive gunplay and playground esque mp maps...
Nothing changes but skins..the story is even exactly the same every year....
They are basically selling you 8 mp maps for $60 every year,,,,

Assassins Creed is sold because of its attention to detail in history and its story telling....if it were not handled with care and were sloppy...fans would drop it in a heart beat...

Having similar cycles dont make games similar...
The difference between a sports game, a cod and AC is that assassins creed cant be lazy with setting and roster..it cant just reuse plots and swap skins...
Assassins Creed sells you a new world for $60 every year...a new story...AND 8 new mp maps

Assassins Creed being a yearly release alone isn't enough for it to be compared to the cash grabs sports and cod are...

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 08:24 PM
People say a franchise is milked as long as it continues to have sequels. It's a fact of life. Doesn't mean what is being milked is necessarily bad quality.

The best example would probably be the legend of zelda franchise.
The time between every zelda game is very long, and if I am not mistaken they only release one every gen. The same with gta. I don't care how much sequels there are. But the time between the games matter. If the make 2 ac games this year and 2 next year thats too much.

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Mechanics arent what evolve games and they arent what retain fans...its the experience....
Call of Duty gets sold because of the online experience you have with your friends and clan mates..therefore they keep the addictive gunplay and playground esque mp maps...
Nothing changes but skins..the story is even exactly the same every year....
They are basically selling you 8 mp maps for $60 every year,,,,

Assassins Creed is sold because of its attention to detail in history and its story telling....if it were not handled with care and were sloppy...fans would drop it in a heart beat...

Having similar cycles dont make games similar...
The difference between a sports game, a cod and AC is that assassins creed cant be lazy with setting and roster..it cant just reuse plots and swap skins...
Assassins Creed sells you a new world for $60 every year...a new story...AND 8 new mp maps

Assassins Creed being a yearly release alone isn't enough for it to be compared to the cash grabs sports and cod are...
I second this. A new cod is more like a dlc. A very overpriced one. AC delivers real sequels. Not every game may be that innovative. But look at Uncharted, wich new mechanics did they introduce in their 3 games? And how much did ac2 differ from ac1? And ac3 from ac2?

Hans684
03-30-2014, 08:28 PM
This post right here.

Thank you.

Don't know about gtaV as I never played it.

Nor I but just look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(series)

They have been milking since before AC was born.

The only reason why AC keeps selling is the fact it is the only open world game that allows you to explore rich historical time periods.

I highly doubt that's the only reason. The rest is true.

It's not like people buy AC to play or feel like an Assassin or to actually enjoy great gameplay, they buy it because of the "tour" aspect of the franchise.

Here we go again, I have heard that some members on the forums have an ignore list full of people they would rather avoid. I don't, I have topic lists with topics I would avoid with someone. Like us, we do not see eye to eye about what AC is and all that. That topic is dead between us. We can discuss anything except what AC is an all the nonsense from our previous discussions.

It's not about playing a great game, it's about having a good tour. A new protagonist, a new setting plus some new features related to the time period and there you have it, a new tour. The same crappy game though.

If you say so.

Hans684
03-30-2014, 08:31 PM
The time between every zelda game is very long, and if I am not mistaken they only release one every gen. The same with gta. I don't care how much sequels there are. But the time between the games matter. If the make 2 ac games this year and 2 next year thats too much.

It is milked if it's never going to end like GTA or Zelda, the time between each game means nothing. What does is if it is going to end or not.

lothario-da-be
03-30-2014, 08:34 PM
It is milked if it's never going to end like GTA or Zelda, the time between each game means nothing. What does is if it is going to end or not.
People like it when their favourite franchise continous. So they keep making sequels. For profit. When you release more games then your fans want (ac) then you want to make as much money as fast a possible. THAT is milking.

Hans684
03-30-2014, 08:46 PM
People like it when their favourite franchise continous. So they keep making sequels. For profit. When you release more games then your fans want (ac) then you want to make as much money as fast a possible. THAT is milking.

Both is milking, both never ends and both is made for profit. To release yearly gives a "small" amount of money yearly compared to those with a few(like 5) years between that make huge amount of money. And it is a stategi to also wait a few years before releaseing again becouse by then people want another, they don't care how much that was released before the new game. It makes people ignore the amount of sequals the series had. If it never ends it's milking and both is a game company, what do they do? Make games for money without money they have to close. It's milking wether people want more or not, as long as it never ends. The thing is that those who has years between each release get more money than those who do it yearly, prime example is GTA V. Just look at how much it sold compared to AC and ask yourself, are they going to end the series one day or continue for profit?