PDA

View Full Version : AC unity/comet modern day story..

UKassassinsfan
03-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Okay so you've just been put in charge of the modern story of the upcoming games, assuming this still during planning.
What would you like to see done differently, keep the same etc

Often the modern story is a subject of much debate, I would like to see what you guys think?

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Okay so you've just been put in charge of the modern story of the upcoming games, assuming this still during planning.
What would you like to see done differently, keep the same etc

Often the modern story is a subject of much debate, I would like to see what you guys think?

make Juno's power/ threat level more clear. I.E. make her kill people and have a physical form.

have the bleeding effect happen more often. mix it with modern day parkour.

have a broken animus that you must enter to relieve memories of secrets but the broken animus caused for several time periods to mix creating a fantasy steam punk world to roam in.

have all the assassins and templars some how reincarnate to modern day like a sage and attack each other or juno in a final battle for the juno arc.

That's it.

UKassassinsfan
03-28-2014, 12:46 AM
That's pretty crazy I gotta admit, would you spread that over a few games or make that just the upcoming titles? I think that the modern story should go back to being in 3rd person, we can't spend each game hacking either!

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2014, 12:47 AM
have a broken animus that you must enter to relieve memories of secrets but the broken animus caused for several time periods to mix creating a fantasy steam punk world to roam in.

That makes no sense

Dome500
03-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Move the MD more.

Create a plot point, problems that appear and a story that involves your MD protagonist emotionally. Then make a modern day storyline planned for the next 2 - 3 games, end it in a conclusion, and begin with the next modern day story arc by establishing a (small and insignificant) connection between the last protagonist and the next one. That way wee will have a bunch of MD story-arcs like Desmonds (hopefully more exciting and better executed, especially regarding the end - anyway -where was I?) that all shed different perspectives on the situation and let us see things from different sides while continuing the MD story in a meaningful way like it always was with the ancestors (One ancestor for 1 - 3 games, then the next one, story after story, most of them slightly connected, all different storyarcs though connected by the overall stor-arc Modern Day. Same would be in MD now, just without the overal story arc that connects them. That would be what the connections between the MD characters would be for (should be small and insignificant connections though in order to allow for creative freedom with a new MD character)).

Modern Day would of course involve MD parkour, city social stealth, (limited) Watch Dogs-like gameplay sections and different interesting story. Things I'd like to have continued or picked up again:
- Juno
- Another try of a (modified) plan of the Abstergo Satellite.

Everything else would actually be pretty open.
You could create a new non-Templar/Assassin problem (the Sages could help here), you could let some story-arcs focus on the Templar/Assassin conflict only, others might be more bridge-games that are in-between 2 story-arcs (like Black Flag) and only give more insight on past events and introduce elements that will appear in the next story arc (but I wouldn't make too many of them, they are not a necessity, and they should only be included when you need a serious change or more time to think about the next MD story-arc).

That's roughly what I would do.

dxsxhxcx
03-28-2014, 01:10 AM
- add a new modern day protagonist (in 3rd person);
- bring back the Bleeding Effect;
- bring back the VR training room and add:

(social/traditional) stealth challenges;
combat challenges;
unlimited/god mode;
survival mode;

Shahkulu101
03-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Kill the modern day with fire. That's what I'd do, Ubi have just about done it themselves anyway.

I-Like-Pie45
03-28-2014, 01:31 AM
Modern Day GTA with Parkour

Complete with radio stations and vehicles

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 01:31 AM
That makes no sense

it makes sense. A glitch in the animus causes the animus to relieve different aspects of different settings to create 1 new messy setting :rolleyes:

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2014, 01:37 AM
it makes sense. A glitch in the animus causes the animus to relieve different aspects of different settings to create 1 new messy setting :rolleyes:
That wouldn't create a new weird fantasy setting with it's own history. You'd just get overlap like the bleeding effect. All the animus does is allow people to relive memories coded in DNA. It can't create new worlds.

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 01:46 AM
That wouldn't create a new weird fantasy setting with it's own history. You'd just get overlap like the bleeding effect. All the animus does is allow people to relive memories coded in DNA. It can't create new worlds.

I didn't literally mean create new world. just that settings would jumble together to the point where it would feel like an entirely new world.

UKassassinsfan
03-28-2014, 04:22 AM
Myself, I would like to bring back a 3rd person protagonist, I don't care who, Desmond is incredibly unlikely, but at least someone who is connected to him and the assassins.
I would like the bleeding effect, ofc this means our bee protagonist can do parkour, I can't really see ourselves hacking through every game, if we delete juno with a virus or something I will be so mad!
The mission where Desmond goes to save his dad in AC 3 was quite amusing, had that been done better we could have some really good modern day, stealth missions!
I would actually like a lot to happen for once as well, whilst I know the majority of the game must take place inside the animus, I think that if there is an interesting story taking place which relates to your time inside the animus and the Templar/assassin conflict then it could be worth while!
While I agree with the previous post suggesting multiple story arcs I would always like it if the game remembered it's roots, whether it involves more vidic/Desmond stuff I don't mind but I don't want the game to feel completely unfamiliar!

andrew_m50
03-28-2014, 08:31 AM
3rd person protagonist.
A story which lasts more AC games and can be connected to the Desmond story.

I think, in Comet they will follow that idiot "silent floating camera" aspect and maybe in Unity we will get a new modern day 3rd person protagonist...maybe. They'd better do like this.

Consus_E
03-28-2014, 08:39 AM
I didn't literally mean create new world. just that settings would jumble together to the point where it would feel like an entirely new world.

Could make for an interesting DLC story :p

Aphex_Tim
03-28-2014, 08:40 AM

In that case, I want dinosaurs with lasers.

Consus_E
03-28-2014, 08:57 AM
In that case, I want dinosaurs with lasers.
http://mynameisbeer.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/dino-laser1.jpg

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2014, 10:33 AM
You literally said "creating fantasy, steampunk setting to roam in."........ But whatever it still doesn't make any sense. How would the story work? You're only reliving the life of one ancestor, how would that work with the different timelines? How would the different cities overlap to "feel like a new world" when they've got completely different streetplans?

Why would you even want a steampunk assassin's creed game? Assassin's Creed's about historical fiction not fantasy. Play Dishonored if you want steampunk.......

Codarsnacht
03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Surely it's not just me who think that we should actually PLAY the assassins on the Altair II. I'm sick of reading about their missions when they could be incorporated into the main games to make an interesting storyline in the Modern Day. That way, we aren't exactly losing any extra IMPORTANT information that is always hiding away on Initiates. I don't see why they didn't do this in AC4BF - but I can only hope they'll do something like that for ACU or ACC. I mean, where'd that Olivier guy go..? They don't seem to address much things on Initiates either, just bringing up new stuff.

Oh - and yeah, 3rd Protagonist all the way.

oliacr
03-28-2014, 07:38 PM
I don't care. I'm not a huge fan of the modern day story. With AC4 it was totally bad pointless - I mean, with Desmond it was a bit better but whatever, AC is about history not about modern day- for me at least. I just want to hop into the animus and do the dirty work. Messing with Juno is... Not worth it. Sometimes it is a good connection when you see something from the history like Desmond saw Monteriggioni and some glyphs with hidden codes and the others....

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 08:07 PM
You literally said "creating fantasy, steampunk setting to roam in."........ But whatever it still doesn't make any sense. How would the story work? You're only reliving the life of one ancestor, how would that work with the different timelines? How would the different cities overlap to "feel like a new world" when they've got completely different streetplans?

Why would you even want a steampunk assassin's creed game? Assassin's Creed's about historical fiction not fantasy. Play Dishonored if you want steampunk.......

Easy. just take chunks of different parts of worlds so they jumble together. the street plans wont match. that's the point. you'd have to freerun more often.

I didn't literally mean steampunk. I meant mixing of different unfitting time periods.

TheHumanTowel
03-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Easy. just take chunks of different parts of worlds so they jumble together. the street plans wont match. that's the point. you'd have to freerun more often.

I didn't literally mean steampunk. I meant mixing of different unfitting time periods.
How would unfitting cities being sat on top of one another mean you have to freerun more? It would just mean instead of having one cohesive actual city you'd have a complete mess with massive gaps. You've also ignored how the historical story would work, or why anyone would bother reliving jumbled memories in a useless animus. I'm giving this more time than it's worth but it's just such a ridiculous idea. I don't know how you can think that would be better than having an actual historical setting recreated properly.

JustPlainQuirky
03-28-2014, 08:34 PM
How would unfitting cities being sat on top of one another mean you have to freerun more? It would just mean instead of having one cohesive actual city you'd have a complete mess with massive gaps. You've also ignored how the historical story would work, or why anyone would bother reliving jumbled memories in a useless animus. I'm giving this more time than it's worth but it's just such a ridiculous idea. I don't know how you can think that would be better than having an actual historical setting recreated properly.

It wouldn't be a complete mess with massive gaps. It could be a single connected world made up of misread data in the animus. Because glitches.

They would be forced to because of either a glitch or bleeding effect or something.

It could easily be explained via glitches.

And I'm not saying it's a better idea. I'm saying it would be a nice addition.

Sheesh don't need to downplay peoples ideas like that. I'm not the only one who suggested this idea before. It could easily work given the right creative team.

Calvarok
03-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Ideally: AC Unity: Modern Assassinations.

AC Comet: Modern Ship Exploration.

Pitalla
03-29-2014, 01:04 AM
I have best idea ever!

After AC:Brotherhood Desmond has been in coma and his brain has being blending with the memories of other users and previous generations, therefore all these 3 last games have been nothing but hallucinations.
In this way we get a new refresh reset.

Now with a clear horizon we could get Joffrey Yohalem back to keep writting awesome stories and super awesome characters.

I would not just like to know more about junon but about another goddess, and please Ubisoft keep them alien looking and not like the bearded guy from AC3 "remember it never happened".
Maybe in the french revolution they found a way to break free from the artifacts of power and they release those memories in order to find the way of how to do it.

Radman500
03-29-2014, 08:31 PM
and i dont want to here "i don't care about the modern day storyline anymore ok thats your choice, many people do care about the modern day storyline

so this is for serious people that want to do serious discussion

-will we get a new 3rd person protagonist
- will we fight juno as a boss fight
?? etc

oliacr
03-29-2014, 08:38 PM
nothing, I don't know which one is better, the 3rd person or the first person. But if I had a choice I would like to continue the ACIV modern day. :) as usual.

SixKeys
03-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Did you just start a new modern day thread an hour after the last one just because you didn't like the replies you were getting?

Edit: Bad calculation, my bad.

Dome500
03-29-2014, 09:35 PM
That is about the 10th thread someone opens up about this topic, why do you not write that question in one of the other threads? Seriously.

so this is for serious people that want to do serious discussion

LOL. Just because some people said they do not care about it you do not have to start another thread dude...

Can someone please lock this thread? This is ridiculous, we have about 5 threads minimum about the exact same topic...

JustPlainQuirky
03-29-2014, 09:43 PM
I expect barely any modern day plot progression.

Because Ubisoft would do that.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 02:33 AM
one important thing: I want the overall plot to progress, but I also want each game to feel like its own story. AC1/AC2/AC3 were like The Hobbit Part 1 2 and 3. We don't need that. tell us a story about the assassins and templars and Juno's plot, and give it a satisfying conclusion even if you don't end all those story arcs. cliffhangers should not be overdone, leave us feeling like we know where this story has taken us and where we might be going.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 02:43 AM
If Black Flag is any indication, then the new modern story will drag even slower than 'end of the world' plot from 1-3. Which I didn't think was possible.

JustPlainQuirky
03-30-2014, 02:48 AM
If Black Flag is any indication, then the new modern story will drag even slower than 'end of the world' plot from 1-3. Which I didn't think was possible.

AC Comet: Juno has almost reached full power
AC Unity: Juno has reached full power
AC V: Juno is planning an attack
AC VI: Juno has started an attack
AC VII: Juno has taken over the world
AC VIII: You are escaping from Juno
AC IX: You are forming a plan to defeat Juno
AC X: You carry out plan to defeat Juno

AC XI: Minerva revealed to be evil all along

AC XXII: Jupiter revealed to be evil all along

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 02:50 AM
If you compare Black Flag to AC1, we got a far clearer and more substantial beginning to this new story arc.

The main character in Black Flag also goes through a hell of a lot more than Desmond did in AC1, and isn't confined to the same three small rooms.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 02:57 AM
If you compare Black Flag to AC1, we got a far clearer and more substantial beginning to this new story arc.

The main character in Black Flag also goes through a hell of a lot more than Desmond did in AC1, and isn't confined to the same three small rooms.

AC1 was the next most-dragging in terms of modern story but still, as the very first in the franchise it's not the best comparsion as it had to establish the entire universe and its rules along with creating the plot and advancing it

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 04:00 AM
AC1 was the next most-dragging in terms of modern story but still, as the very first in the franchise it's not the best comparsion as it had to establish the entire universe and its rules along with creating the plot and advancing itI feel like most of the universe establishing started with AC2, barely any of the important things about the shape of the modern world or the order through history was in AC1. I think the main reason Black Flag felt slow to some people is that AC3 gave the wrong impression about exactly how much power Juno had. It even implied that she had a physical body in the last scene during the credits. She's a threat that's building strength, and Black Flag was a time to slow down and assess that threat, and just establish what state the world is in and where we're going from here. It's basically a reboot but without actually rebooting, and I don't think that diving straight into the thick of things would have done it any favors.It had to balance the history of the franchise with the equivelant of an AC1 + AC2 of setup, and it did so with humor and unique perspectives. It makes it feel like Desmond's sacrifice has actually brought about a period of calm, albeit one that's simmering below the surface.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 04:12 AM
It makes it feel like Desmond's sacrifice has actually brought about a period of calm, albeit one that's simmering below the surface.

Hmm, can see the appeal from this perspective. But still, if nothing significant comes from the vials plot or the Observatory part, then it will feel even worse.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Hmm, can see the appeal from this perspective. But still, if nothing significant comes from the vials plot or the Observatory part, then it will feel even worse.
It's not fair to say that Black Flag doesn't set up anything important simply because you're worried the things it sets up won't be important. It sounds like you're just too worried about the eventual payoff to enjoy the journey.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 05:16 AM
It's not fair to say that Black Flag doesn't set up anything important simply because you're worried the things it sets up won't be important. It sounds like you're just too worried about the eventual payoff to enjoy the journey.
You can't exactly blame me, considering how open they are about wanting the modern story to "never end" and all games from now on to be much more self-contained, with skeleton MD protagonist etc. The overarching modern arc seems to be almost vanishing except for the general "templar research their own stuff, assassins their own" theme. It's not like there's anything wrong with that but after a rather defined modern arc in 1-3, it's a rather big change. And it is REALLY hard to imagine any kind of "Juno defeat" ending in the way they're doing modern day right now. I mean, "we" will just stand there and watch Juno screaming "noooo you defeated me arrrgghhhhh <dies>" and say nothing because new MD is "us" so doesn't speak, and the camera is constantly set from "out perspective" and... ugh. I just don't know about the entire thing :/

Layytez
03-30-2014, 05:18 AM
The Observatory is basically useless to the Templars so I don't see them building that up. The blood vials...they better. They are much harder to come by than the POE and even if they do get their hands on some they still need to have the blood intact. If they do manage to gather enough vials and sequence them I do see us going back to the First Civ otherwise it's a waste of time mentioning it.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-30-2014, 05:34 AM
The Observatory is basically useless to the Templars so I don't see them building that up. The blood vials...they better. They are much harder to come by than the POE and even if they do get their hands on some they still need to have the blood intact. If they do manage to gather enough vials and sequence them I do see us going back to the First Civ otherwise it's a waste of time mentioning it.
Even the game itself states how useless the vials are for anyone who's been dead for over 500+ years (half time DNA life after which it starts to disintegrate) and that it would take probably like 250-500 vials to sequence 1 full genome of someone who was dead for tens of thousands of years. So either they introduce a new plot device to explain why some DNA stored in some vial managed to not disintegrate or they go with someone who lived in the past 500 years. Perhaps some important Eve descendant

Layytez
03-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Even the game itself states how useless the vials are for anyone who's been dead for over 500+ years (half time DNA life after which it starts to disintegrate) and that it would take probably like 250-500 vials to sequence 1 full genome of someone who was dead for tens of thousands of years. So either they introduce a new plot device to explain why some DNA stored in some vial managed to not disintegrate or they go with someone who lived in the past 500 years. Perhaps some important Eve descendant

Blood vials buried with those who died in very cold places ? The vials already survived tens of thousands of years..within the Observatory which probably had a special atmosphere to stop them from disintegrating. Once brought out they would only last around 500+ years. Maybe they will find some blood vials near the arctic or something or just somewhere with a lot of ice.

zkorejo
03-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Im sure "stopping Juno" will be the main MD storyline. I am not really excited for it but I keep wondering after Desmond's death, who will be the main MD protagonist?.. His father maybe? I hope it isnt a FPS thing like BF.

Calvarok
03-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Are you forgetting the scene where Black Bart says "those vials are no use to anyone now, not in this Epoch" or similar, meaning that they WILL be useful once technology is sufficiently advanced, ie modern times. At that moment, they were useless since they were designed to work with the Observatory, and all the owners of the blood were dead.

That's the most blatant of hints. And Abstergo was very clearly only after the location of the vials, not the Observatory itself, which is why the game didn't end when you got there. What they're actually going to do with it is less clear, only because I can't remember what those documents said. I would guess they're going to sequence incomplete memory strands, but it may have something to do with simply studying TWCB DNA to aid in other projects or experiments. Either way, it's going to enable them to do things they haven't ever been able to do before. We'll find out what very soon.