PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think UBI may be trying to soften the the Templars?

RoBg03
03-27-2014, 08:47 PM
If there is a possible protaganist that will be templar...with a possible 'unity' of the two sides (all speculation i realize), any chance they are trying to make the temlar more human in future titles? i've often found myself feeling the templar wern't all that bad sometimes...even agreeing with them over the assassins. the brohood for instance thinks its wrong to minipulate people into doing what you want, but its ok to murder them for it. they more or less want the same thing, but go through it in different ways. since ac3 we obviously are shocked when hatham is a templar, but as the game goes on, he doesn't sound maniacally hell bent on control, in fact he sounds like many in the enlightenment era. then we have moraly ambiguous edward, who still at the end of the game doesnt know if he's down with the assassins. also, conner, while a true assassin, doesn't think that working with the them is a terrible idea. add to that the ppl working at abstergo actually seem like normal, nice ppl that have no idea about whats going on in the struggle.

Hans684
03-27-2014, 08:55 PM
I would like a black and white story with the Assassins as the bad guys and we play as a Templar.

lothario-da-be
03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Templars are humans too. They believe that what they do is right, just like the assassins. Their goals are the same, world peace. Their methods differ. But still they aren't heartless killers. Some are, and in comparison to the assasins they may seem evil. But they are humans, with feelings, I would realy like to play as a Templar who isn't so sure of what he is doing all the time.

JustPlainQuirky
03-27-2014, 11:47 PM
If you listen to podcasts you'd know that Darby has been stressing the fact that Templars are just as justified as Assassins are and that we may see more good templars in the future.

Dome500
03-28-2014, 12:20 AM
If you listen to podcasts you'd know that Darby has been stressing the fact that Templars are just as justified as Assassins are and that we may see more good templars in the future.

And that is better IMO.

If the Templars are not plain evil, they are more interesting characters, villains and potential protagonists.

(( I would actually welcome a game with a Templar (though hopefully not in New York (AGAIN) with a lot of naval gameplay (AGAIN)).
IMO the naval gameplay, although AC3's was not bad, was actually only as entertaining if you combine it with the amazing environments and tropical feeling of the Caribbean Sea. ))

Yeah, like I said, I think Tempalrs who appear more human even the field again, and we have 2 gropus then with the same goal, but different ways to go about them AND different believes of how to achieve them. Both are ultimately flawed in the end, but both also do "their part" in history. Both have noble goals in the end, but sometimes one of the groups goes too far.

A black & white game becomes boring over time.
A game with multiple shades of grey can fascinate better on a long-term view, IMO.

LoyalACFan
03-28-2014, 06:43 AM
They've been attempting to bail out the Templars' name ever since they made them Scooby-Doo villains in AC2/Brotherhood, with mixed results. IMO AC3 handled the Templars perfectly (with the exception of Charles Lee). I get that they want to show that the Templars are trying to do what they think is right, but for narrative purposes they need to continue to portray them as misguided, even if we as the audience sometimes agree with them. Otherwise there's no consistency in the story at all.

poptartz20
03-28-2014, 10:30 AM
well.. first off if you want black and white. Go play the Ezio trilogy again. If not then I say play the other games. I don't think it's a matter of softening the templars, it's because they are human. With a right just as justified as the assassins. I mean listen to the templars from AC 1 and AC3. At the end of the day we judge others by their actions while judge ourselves from our intentions. This creates an internal struggle and blurred lines of the 2 groups. Which is something I honestly Love!

Farlander1991
03-28-2014, 10:58 AM
At the end of the day we judge others by their actions while judge ourselves from our intentions.

This.

Let's not forget that Assassins have killed people, started wars, were responsible for great deal of destruction themselves. And when Templars point that out, they are not wrong.

GunnerGalactico
03-28-2014, 11:08 AM
And that is better IMO.

If the Templars are not plain evil, they are more interesting characters, villains and potential protagonists.

(( I would actually welcome a game with a Templar (though hopefully not in New York (AGAIN) with a lot of naval gameplay (AGAIN)).
IMO the naval gameplay, although AC3's was not bad, was actually only as entertaining if you combine it with the amazing environments and tropical feeling of the Caribbean Sea. ))

Yeah, like I said, I think Tempalrs who appear more human even the field again, and we have 2 gropus then with the same goal, but different ways to go about them AND different believes of how to achieve them. Both are ultimately flawed in the end, but both also do "their part" in history. Both have noble goals in the end, but sometimes one of the groups goes too far.

A black & white game becomes boring over time.
A game with multiple shades of grey can fascinate better on a long-term view, IMO.

Very true. Templars are only sometimes portrayed as villains in the AC games.... in real life, the Knights Templar are actually the good guys.

Farlander1991
03-28-2014, 11:41 AM
in real life, the Knights Templar are actually the good guys.

Good guys, bad guys... that's a very binary view. Order started as means to protect pilgrims traveling to lands that they have invaded and conquered (and massacred people as well; *ahem* Jerusalem *ahem*), which while sounds like a noble cause is already of ambiguous origins. And even though sworn to poverty (which is why they have two knights on one horse on their symbol) they in time became what is essentially an equivalent of a multi-billion dollar corporation across a number of countries, which for sure didn't happen without ruthlessly crossing somebody over (which is part of the reason of the Order's demise, actually - that being King Philipp indebted to the Templars using some of charges against them to burn the hell out of everybody there).

GunnerGalactico
03-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Good guys, bad guys... that's a very binary view. Order started as means to protect pilgrims traveling to lands that they have invaded and conquered (and massacred people as well; *ahem* Jerusalem *ahem*), which while sounds like a noble cause is already of ambiguous origins. And even though sworn to poverty (which is why they have two knights on one horse on their symbol) they in time became what is essentially an equivalent of a multi-billion dollar corporation across a number of countries, which for sure didn't happen without ruthlessly crossing somebody over (which is part of the reason of the Order's demise, actually - that being King Philipp indebted to the Templars using some of charges against them to burn the hell out of everybody there).

That is interesting... I have to do more reading :p

I only know the key bits- King Philip ordered the arrest Jacque de Molay and dozens of other Templars. They were charged with heresy, fraud, corruptions and many other offenses. Many of them confessed under torture. Eventually, that lead to the arrest of all Templars and their assets were seized. All of them were burned simultaneously. Also, the two main leaders- Jacque de Molay and Geffroi de Charney eventually suffered the same fate.

pineal_gland
03-28-2014, 02:05 PM
There are a few things people should always keep in mind.

1. Most of the time history is written by the victors.
2. What you read in history books is never the whole truth.

The French revolution is the perfect example for this. In most of the history books or documentaries about the French revolution they never mention secret societies while they played a major role in it. Like the illuminati for example. Just like the history of the knights templar, the history of the Illuminati also got really distorted. Today they are being portrayed as the hidden puppet masters ruling the world, but they were actually opposed to elitists, monarchies and the catholic church (actually all forms of Abrahamic religions).

"The Ancien Régime is a Satanic Order. The Illuminati's noble and historic mission is to release man's higher self by destroying the archons - the princes of the world - who prosecute Satan's will and hold mankind in their dark thrall. Their corruption has reached its zenith in France. That diabolical tyranny is ripe for destruction. All that is required is a spark. We are the spark."

- Adam Weishaupt (Grand Master of the Illuminati), 1789

Hans684
03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
well.. first off if you want black and white. Go play the Ezio trilogy again. If not then I say play the other games. I don't think it's a matter of softening the templars, it's because they are human. With a right just as justified as the assassins. I mean listen to the templars from AC 1 and AC3. At the end of the day we judge others by their actions while judge ourselves from our intentions. This creates an internal struggle and blurred lines of the 2 groups. Which is something I honestly Love!

Not why I want a black and white story...again. And the Ezio trilogy shows the Templars as bad and the Assassins good. I want it the other way around, I want them go at the level of the Borgia or worse with the Assassins. I play what I want to play, don't tell me what to do. Agree with everything else.

Radman500
03-28-2014, 06:07 PM
well wasn't it confirmed that Juno has been manipulating the Assassins and Templars since the dawn of their war with each other