PDA

View Full Version : Infamous: Second Son Review (Wolfmeister Review #5)

Wolfmeister1010
03-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Since this is becoming a thing that I do a lot, I guess I will make a thread about it However, if the mods or any of the community feels it necessary, please, by all means, transfer this to the BUWYWL thread :D

Wolfmeister Game Review #5 Infamous Second Son

Preface:

I am flat out broke at the moment so I am lucky that my brother bought this game. This game places you in a gigantic open world Seattle and gives you some awesome powers to help you have as much fun as possible. Let’s dive in!

Gameplay

Open World: The ope world is something very difficult to succeed at in games. The open world needs to be filled with things to do, enemies to fight, and citizens to interact with. Some games, like GTA, do an amazing job at creating a living, breathing open world filled with all sorts of activities and secrets. Then there are games that do it awfully, like Saints Row. In Saints Row 4, specifically, the city basically feels like a soulless shell with people to kill. The citizens have nothing to say. The environment is forgettable. Infamous Second Son lies somewhere between these two extremes, but I am happy to say that it definitely leans more towards the GTA side.

The citizens are highly interactable. Depending on your karma level, they might throw stuff at you and run away if you are infamous, whisper some positive remarks about you if you are decently known to help out, and cheer for you and take pictures if your are a hero. Yes, the cameras do actually flash, and yes, the citizens say some hilarious things, like “I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES” or “TOUCH ME!!!!!” The world reacts to your presence, with public TVS even hosting radio shows talking about your actions and deeds. You can hitch a ride on the train or on cars. When using your powers to fly through the air and such, Delsin genuinely looks like he is enjoying himself.

The world is filled with tons of activities. The world is separated into districts, each ruled by the evil DUP. Liberating a district is very reminiscent of AC Brotherhood. To liberate a district, you must do things like spray paint propaganda, take out secret cameras, kill undercover enemy agents, and infiltrate and destroy the district base. Then, after completing these missions, you can activate the final liberation mission where rally up the citizens and fight against some really tough enemies, unique to each district. There are also quite a few side quests to do, DUP stations to destroy, and such. The world is also beautiful. The locales range from moderate sized buildings, to Asian style mansions in China town, to tall skyscrapers.

Karma: The Karma system is wonderful, and adds to the open world part of the game as well. You gain positive karma by healing injured citizens, freeing imprisoned citizens suspected of being bio terrorists, incapacitating enemies instead of killing them, taking out regenerating drug dealer hideouts, and spray painting. You gain negative karma by assaulting street performers, activist groups, and civilians, and by killing as many people as possible. In the campaign, there are plenty of story moments where you choose to be a renegade or paragon. But I will not spoil it.

Combat: The combat feels very very good. The melee attacks are very satisfying, and each of the 4 abilities (smoke, neon, video, concrete) has unique attack abilities. The special karma attacks are very cinematic and EXTREMELY satisfying. Like..EXTREMELY. Each of the powers has a regular shooting attack, a incapacitating shot, and lethal heavy shot, and a special ability, and a karma ability. Also, each power affects your chain melee weapon. For example, with smoke equipped, the chain is like a whip. But with Neon, it is rigid like a sword.
The game does a great job at making you feel very powerful, but also making you be careful. You can die very easily if you are reckless. The enemies are plentiful, and the boss battles, on top of being unique and fun, and very difficult.

Movement: The use of smoke to fly across short distances, or the ability to sprint fast and run up buildings makes travel very fun. Each power requires regenerating points to regenerate power. For smoke, you must absorb smoke from chimneys or fires. Note that you can create these spots by blowing up cars! For neon, you must absorb the light from neon signs, in a fashion that is very satisfying visually. Some of the powers also have unique environmental uses. With smoke, you can travel through air vents and quickly shoot out the receiving vent at the top of the building.

The parkour system is fine, but the animations and fluidity are terrible. Basically, it looks like he is just jumping repeatedly up a vertical surface unrealistically, instead of the precise grabbing and climbing that you see in AC.

Sound: The sound in the game is AMAZING. Each surface reacts differently to different objects, which produces unique sounds. The explosions sound awesome, the shots you fire against metal make a satisfying clang, the moist ground squishes underneath your feet. The chain on your arm rattles when you jump up and down. Basically it is perfect in every possible way. The music is also very cool. It is very retro and electric at times, with rock as well. Very “Seattle”y.

Graphics: The graphics are a pleasure. The rain is awesome, the draw distance is awesome. The water is awesome. The character models are great. The particle effect, like the smoke from chimneys and sparks from your powers are fantastic. The lighting is magnificent. Each neon sign generates light that diminishes when you absorb it, and each of your powers light up the environment as they travel through it in the form of a projectile. The game when played at night and dusk look truly next ten. But, during the day, it does not look quite as good as it did in E3 last year. But, other than this small downgrade, the game is absolutely gorgeous. No doubt about it. In cutscenes, the facial expressions are unprecedented, with you being able to see every little wrinkle and muscle movement in the faces. The physics on Delsin's individual clothing articles is wonderful. The weather system is wonderful, with rain and fog looking sublime. The polygon count has decreased a bit since E3 2013, but in place, the world is filled with a ridiculous amount of particles and details. The neon lights reflect on the smallest dynamic puddles. The ATM explodes with a barrage of money and sparks. It certainly was well worth the sacrifice. While the PC dominates the graphics world of gaming, this game is proof that the PS4 is an incredibly powerful machine.

The destruction in the game is magnificent. Entire structures fall, individual things as small as battles and leaves, and as big as small bridges, react to your actions. You can use this destruction to your advantage, or you can just watch in awe as the game world falls into chaos. Basically, it is like Just Cause 2 destruction, but ten times better, in the sense that the things you destroy actually feel like a part of the world that you are breaking and altering.

Story: The story is actually pretty good. Delsin can be annoying at times, same with his brother, but the story is solid and the characters are very very good. The main villain Augustine, is a red headed middle aged conduit who makes your bones shiver. She is ruthless and insane, yet chillingly calm and ladylike. “Fetch” is a neon conduit with a *****y personality and bright pink hair. She is awesome.

The voice acting is sublime, with each character sounding so damn comfortable and natural. Even the cheesy lines sound natural and satisfying. The dialogue in the game varies from cringeingly cheesy (on purpose), hilarious, and even touching at time, overblown with emotion when dealing with some of the characters backstories. Overall, the story is definitely not TLOU or AC tier, but it surprised me how good it was.

Conclusion: It is rare for there to be a game that has such a good balance between graphics, story, music, gameplay, and freedom. Most games, like Saints Row, nail some of them at the expense of failing miserably in the story, music, and graphics department.

Infamous Second son does everything right. It drops you in a massive, gorgeous world, give you a bunch of powers to make it interesting, and fills up the world with tons of enemies to kill, citizens to aid or spook, things to destroy, environments to interact with, and quests to do. And then there is the campaign to deal with, but honestly most of the charm comes from the sheer freedom and exploration. The replayability level is supremely high.

I rarely ever say this about games. I have only said it a few times in the recent past, referring to AC4, Tomb Raider and such, but not about Bioshock Infinite or GTA5..but Infamous Second Son was a pure and simple pleasure to play.

Score: 9.5/10

Pros: Amazing graphics, huge and dense open world, satisfying combat and powers, superb sound, intractable environment, solid campaign and characters, challenging yet rewarding gameplay.

Cons: Terrible parkour animations, no ability to walk (always running no mater what)

I-Like-Pie45
03-27-2014, 05:06 AM
The Bring Up Whatever You Like is that way, wolfmeister

roostersrule2
03-27-2014, 05:10 AM
Stupid thread is stupid.

Wolfmeister1010
03-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Stupid thread is stupid.

You don't have to be so mean about it. Like I said, if the community thinks it belongs in the BUWYWL thread, then I am happy for it to be moved. The truth is that I spent a hell of a lot of time making this, so for you to come in and say THAT really hurts.

To be honest I didn't expect YOU to say something like that. I assumed you were one of the more respectful members. But I try not to hold grudges. Oh well.

roostersrule2
03-27-2014, 05:28 AM
You don't have to be so mean about it. Like I said, if the community thinks it belongs in the BUWYWL thread, then I am happy for it to be moved. The truth is that I spent a hell of a lot of time making this, so for you to come in and say THAT really hurts.

To be honest I didn't expect YOU to say something like that. I assumed you were one of the more respectful members. But I try not to hold grudges. Oh well.The saints row devs spent a hell of a lot more time making SR and look what you said about their game, I bet it hurt them.

This thread is obviously out of place, I don't know why you thought to make a thread about this when a post in the BUWYWL thread was easily sufficient. Respect? This has nothing to do with respect if something is to be said, why not say it?

Shahkulu101
03-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Rooster was a bit of a **** about it but yeah, it really should be posted in the BUWYWL thread. All threads, except for BUWYL, should be AC related. Even if we have an open community that tends to beat off the main topics anyway.

Good review though. I mostly agree, but I felt the side missions lacking variety in all honesty.

Consus_E
03-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Kinda have a strange desire to see a NON CANON AC/Infamous cross over... Or just Ubi and Suckerpunch working together to make an awesome Parkour Superhero game. :p

Wolfmeister1010
03-27-2014, 05:49 AM
The saints row devs spent a hell of a lot more time making SR and look what you said about their game, I bet it hurt them.

This thread is obviously out of place, I don't know why you thought to make a thread about this when a post in the BUWYWL thread was easily sufficient. Respect? This has nothing to do with respect if something is to be said, why not say it?

It has EVERYTHING to do with respect. You could just as easily have come in and said something god damned respectful like Shahk, like "good review, but this should be in the BUWYWL thread" instead of just waltzing in on a thread I worked really hard on and saying "stoopid thread is stoopid" like I am some ignorant child.

Honestly...this place is supposed to be a community, and if I godforbid make a thread that doesn't quite belong as its own thread, I look forward to people being decent towards me about it.

And for your information..I THOUGHT that this thread would be a fine thread to encourage conversation. It is not like this is the only non AC thread. There are "post picture of yourself" threads, "post your twitter" threads, "what mysic do you listen to" threads, "screenshots for other games than AC" threads..the list goes on and on. I spent a very long time making this and hoping it would spark conversation and some fun in the community.

Also, to answer your question on "if something is to be said, why not say it"... Because sometimes the things a person can say can be rude and mean. There is also a saying called "if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything". I dont want you to say nothing, because your role in the community to valued, but I certainly did not expect you to do what you did. I hope you can understand all this. If not, fine.

Unless of course your rude post was the result of you being mad at how I said something negative about Saints Row 4, in which case I have nothing more to say to you.

HDinHB
03-27-2014, 06:01 AM
The parkour system is fine, but the animations and fluidity are terrible. Basically, it looks like he is just jumping repeatedly up a vertical surface unrealistically, instead of the precise grabbing and climbing that you see in AC.
Sounds like the first inFamous. I'm sure they could have improved it if they wanted, so it must just be their "style."

AC is the best I've played for movement--walking, running, climbing. They really did a nice job starting from the first game.

pacmanate
03-27-2014, 06:13 AM
This has nothing to do with AC so BUWYWL it is.

I-Like-Pie45
03-27-2014, 06:13 AM
wolfmeister, would you say this game is worth buying the system for?

Consus_E
03-27-2014, 06:19 AM
So how does Delsin compare to Cole? Who's the better character?

Assassin_M
03-27-2014, 06:22 AM
wolfmeister, would you say this game is worth buying the system for?
I second this question..

I played it for a few hours at Gamestop (friend there) and i fell in love with it...

Shahkulu101
03-27-2014, 06:34 AM
I second this question..

I played it for a few hours at Gamestop (friend there) and i fell in love with it...

Apart from the length of the campaign and somewhat tedious side missions - there's no real complaints. If you have good first impressions, they stick with you and the game only gets more brilliant as the game goes on. Everything just feels...so good - so satisfying. I don't want to outright tell you it warrants a PS4 purchase on it's own, but it's unlikely you'll be disappointed with the game itself. Apart from maybe the story...which has a few issues but it does have heart - and some awesome missions. Pretty great cast of characters too.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-27-2014, 07:18 AM
What happens when you liberate an area? I heard in the original inFamous, once you liberated an area, it got rid of ALL the enemies which seems silly to me. I hate when you can 100% something and then be left with an empty world devoid of anything to do... I also heard inFamous 2 simply cut down on the amount of enemies but that they're still in liberated areas. So what does Second Son do? Get rid of the enemies or cut down on the amount?

...or does it do something entirely different?

inFamous has always been one of the series I wish I could have played but never got the chance to do on Xbox. This gen, I hope to get both systems but PS4 is my first choice (not because I dislike the One but because it's cheaper and the slightly better graphics is a small, but nice, bonus)

This is one of the first games I'm getting for PS4 along with Watch_Dogs, Amazing Spiderman 2, and Destiny. Ugh... I wish I already had next gen so I could be playing this game. Oh well, I still need to finish Skyrim, play AC: Liberation HD (I already know I'm going to love playing as a female assassin), and get a few other games I've yet to play.

Assassin_M
03-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Apart from the length of the campaign and somewhat tedious side missions - there's no real complaints. If you have good first impressions, they stick with you and the game only gets more brilliant as the game goes on. Everything just feels...so good - so satisfying. I don't want to outright tell you it warrants a PS4 purchase on it's own, but it's unlikely you'll be disappointed with the game itself. Apart from maybe the story...which has a few issues but it does have heart - and some awesome missions. Pretty great cast of characters too.
Hmm, it sounds like i'll enjoy it plenty then like every infamous game. If there's only more of what I got in playing the first few hours, then it'll definitely be worth my money...might get a PS4 for this and WD then...by May or end of April

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-27-2014, 07:25 AM
might get a PS4 for this and WD then...by May or end of April

Hope you do! I hope I get the money soon to get a game soon enough. Being a broke 20 year old sure does suck. So does finding a job for that matter.

Actually, so do jobs in that case. haha

Assassin_M
03-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Hope you do! I hope I get the money soon to get a game soon enough. Being a broke 20 year old sure does suck. So does finding a job for that matter.

Actually, so do jobs in that case. haha
Ah, thank you I appreciate it. It's just the fact that i'm on a student visa here in the US. I used to work as a fencing coach at a friends' club but when I moved it became difficult to go there every day and I cannot work anywhere else without a work permit so...yeah..it sucks to be broke..I would hope to get a work permit soon and get back up on my feet..

Shahkulu101
03-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Hmm, it sounds like i'll enjoy it plenty then like every infamous game. If there's only more of what I got in playing the first few hours, then it'll definitely be worth my money...might get a PS4 for this and WD then...by May or end of April

You should definitely do so...although there won't exactly be an abundance of games by that point. That's why I kind of regret snagging it early, I've only got 3 games to play. And one of thems FIFA. :(
#FirstWorldProblems

Assassin_M
03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
You should definitely do so...although there won't exactly be an abundance of games by that point. That's why I kind of regret snagging it early, I've only got 3 games to play. And one of thems FIFA. :(
#FirstWorldProblems
I'd honestly be fine with FIFA 14, WD, EA UFC and infamous by that point..they'll keep me busy until the big boys (Kingdom come, Witcher 3, AC, Shadow of Mordor, MGS)

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-27-2014, 10:58 AM
I'd honestly be fine with FIFA 14, WD, EA UFC and infamous by that point..they'll keep me busy until the big boys (Kingdom come, Witcher 3, AC, Shadow of Mordor, MGS)

Shadow of Mordor! Can't wait! Finally AC is going to have some competition when it comes to parkour gameplay. No one has come close to looking as nice as AC but SoM is just about there. Hard to say from the short demo we've seen but it was the first time I was like "that parkour looks just about as good as AC's." The parkour in everything else; inFamous, Saboteur, etc. ALWAYS looks fake. Mirror's Edge is great parkour but...obviously that's way different too.

Wolfmeister1010
03-27-2014, 03:09 PM
The PS4 is a very good system. Of course it can't compare to high level PC but it if you are going to get next gen console, then it needs to be PS4.

SixKeys
03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Shadow of Mordor! Can't wait! Finally AC is going to have some competition when it comes to parkour gameplay. No one has come close to looking as nice as AC but SoM is just about there. Hard to say from the short demo we've seen but it was the first time I was like "that parkour looks just about as good as AC's."

That's because they stole code from AC.

killzab
03-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Would give it a 8/10 like every Infamous game. It seems that for every step forward this series makes, it does one step backwards as well.

Loved Delsin, the multiple powers, the overall story, the art direction....

But :

-Game was too short, period

-Story could be more fleshed out, side characters are very good but we don't see them enough ( same complaint as Black Flag).

- Last power is underwhelming, feels rushed as it's lacking several moves ( Karma bomb where are you ?)

- City is a little small

-Most repetitive game in the series

To be honest I didn't expect YOU to say something like that. I assumed you were one of the more respectful members. But I try not to hold grudges. Oh well.

Lol, if anything roosters has "harassed" Adventurewomen much more than I have. Somehow you think I am a jerk. And you don't hold grudges ? Yeah right ...

I'm still contributing to your thread though ...

Wolfmeister1010
03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Would give it a 8/10 like every Infamous game. It seems that for every step forward this series makes, it does one step backwards as well.

Loved Delsin, the multiple powers, the overall story, the art direction....

But :

-Game was too short, period

-Story could be more fleshed out, side characters are very good but we don't see them enough ( same complaint as Black Flag).

- Last power is underwhelming, feels rushed as it's lacking several moves ( Karma bomb where are you ?)

- City is a little small

-Most repetitive game in the series

Lol, if anything roosters has "harassed" Adventurewomen much more than I have. Somehow you think I am a jerk. And you don't hold grudges ? Yeah right ...

I'm still contributing to your thread though ...

I TRY to not hold grudges. You make it difficult. That is for sure. You want to get back into this now? I thought we were just going to ignore each other. Yeah let's go back to that.

killzab
03-27-2014, 06:42 PM
I TRY to not hold grudges. You make it difficult. That is for sure. You want to get back into this now? I thought we were just going to ignore each other. Yeah let's go back to that.

Or you could just comment on what I said about the game you know.

Wolfmeister1010
03-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Or you could just comment on what I said about the game you know.

Your review was excellent and I agree with most of it.