PDA

View Full Version : Parkour Up & Down Buttons?

phoenix-force411
03-26-2014, 10:01 PM
How does this work? I'm curious....

http://www.vgleaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AC-Unity-Leak_03-19_002.jpg

superkootje
03-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Where the F did you get this!? :O

superkootje
03-26-2014, 10:11 PM
I got the source :P
http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reveal-one-of-this-falls-two-assassins-1547111652

They have a few more epic screens on there, I sure hope this is legit because it looks awesome!

RoBg03
03-26-2014, 10:40 PM
I figure they are changing up the run/clime/parkour system as they do in every game. if i was to guess i'd say its R1 (ps) to run, but your character will only clime if you hold parkour up...same for parkour down. i'm guessing this is to help with the problem of accidently climing up stuff that ppl seem to complain about every game. i wish we still had the option of lowering our shoulder and plowing over ppl in a crowd as apposed to automatically pushing past them. i also wish we could still kill npc's as well...but maybe thats just me.

superkootje
03-26-2014, 10:44 PM
I figure they are changing up the run/clime/parkour system as they do in every game. if i was to guess i'd say its R1 (ps) to run, but your character will only clime if you hold parkour up...same for parkour down. i'm guessing this is to help with the problem of accidently climing up stuff that ppl seem to complain about every game. i wish we still had the option of lowering our shoulder and plowing over ppl in a crowd as apposed to automatically pushing past them. i also wish we could still kill npc's as well...but maybe thats just me.

I think it's for the better that we don't run up walls automatically anymore.

McDillard
03-26-2014, 10:51 PM
How does this work? I'm curious....

http://www.vgleaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AC-Unity-Leak_03-19_002.jpg

Well, first of all it seems backwards. Ubisoft's original control scheme was designed so that the buttons corresponded to parts of your characters body. (Y= Head, A = Feet, X and Y are hands) You would think that similarly, parkour UP would be assigned to the B button, since it is above the A button.

My guess is that it has to do with the auto-pathfinding of the character. Instead of grabbing for a ledge that is in front of him, when you are holding "parkour down" he will let the ledge pass by and instead land on the platform below. That sort of thing?

deskp
03-26-2014, 11:12 PM
its because the building are so inredicbly tall now. if you run towards an ege and hold parkour down button he starts climbing down instead of jumping down and dying.

McDillard
03-26-2014, 11:37 PM
its because the building are so inredicbly tall now. if you run towards an ege and hold parkour down button he starts climbing down instead of jumping down and dying.

But this was already fixed in AC3 and AC4. If you run towards an edge while holding Right Trigger, he will only jump if he can land somewhere safely, otherwise he stops at the ledge. If you hold down the A button (in AC3 and AC4) however, he will jump off of the ledge with no regard to safety. I thought that this was a good fix, because it meant you could attempt some questionable jumps that were hard to judge wiithout any risk by simply holding Right Trigger only.

deskp
03-27-2014, 12:19 AM
But this was already fixed in AC3 and AC4. If you run towards an edge while holding Right Trigger, he will only jump if he can land somewhere safely, otherwise he stops at the ledge.

but that stops your running, you need to keep momentum. thats why this new system automaticaly has you climping down when you hold the button.

With buildings this tall they need to make every improvment they can to keep you moving so thee freerunning doesent get tedious. With the current system starting to climb down is an annoyance.

Calvarok
03-27-2014, 12:22 AM
curious what the normal holding right trigger parkour will do. will it only run up walls if you hold "parkour up"?

Oh and the puppeteer concept isn't a thing any more, to the person who mentioned it earlier. IT's just based around what they think the best control scheme is. would be nice if we could customize it though.

Dome500
03-27-2014, 01:25 AM
I think it's for the better that we don't run up walls automatically anymore.

This SO MUCH.

Also this. The buildings in Paris in the 18th century were really high (at least in comparison with AC3 and 4)

Kagurra
03-27-2014, 02:15 AM
Well, first of all it seems backwards. Ubisoft's original control scheme was designed so that the buttons corresponded to parts of your characters body. (Y= Head, A = Feet, X and Y are hands) You would think that similarly, parkour UP would be assigned to the B button, since it is above the A button.

My guess is that it has to do with the auto-pathfinding of the character. Instead of grabbing for a ledge that is in front of him, when you are holding "parkour down" he will let the ledge pass by and instead land on the platform below. That sort of thing?

Parkour up could mean A for legs, as running/jumping/etc, and B for down for releasing ledges. I guess...

RatonhnhakeFan
03-27-2014, 02:16 AM
but that stops your running, you need to keep momentum.Only if the jump is not "safe". But using R1/RT + O/B while running will make Raton/Edward "parkour down", they will make a short-distance jump to the level below, basically "hop" down swiftly (unlike the "long" jump when using R1/RT + X/A)

deskp
03-27-2014, 02:23 AM
Only if the jump is not "safe". But using R1/RT + O/B while running will make Raton/Edward "parkour down", they will make a short-distance jump to the level below, basically "hop" down swiftly (unlike the "long" jump when using R1/RT + X/A)

But that is not good enough with the steep tallness of the unity buildings. There protagonsit needs to keep going even when there is no safe jump to be made.

RoBg03
03-27-2014, 02:29 AM
i think more than anything they just want to change it up to give it a different feel. they seem to tweak it each game, but i always end up feeling like it works just fine.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-27-2014, 02:31 AM
But that is not good enough with the steep tallness of the unity buildings. There protagonsit needs to keep going even when there is no safe jump to be made.
Definitely, they basically need to redesign "hang/hop down" system to make it much more swift to get down even from tallest buildings. But the controls we see in the screens were already in AC3/4, just not labeled.

adventurewomen
03-27-2014, 02:40 AM
Maybe with just the D-Pad only, SNES style! :D

Calvarok
03-27-2014, 05:12 AM
Definitely, they basically need to redesign "hang/hop down" system to make it much more swift to get down even from tallest buildings. But the controls we see in the screens were already in AC3/4, just not labeled.

I think the general concept was, but from the sounds of it it's going to be a lot more prominent and actually applicable to choosing your route. I'd imagine they're also redesigning how the actual nav-system is laid out so as to be more accurate. Right now you can often hold RT+A and then jump to a lower handhold than connor/edward can actually reach, simply due to some quirk of the nav-mesh.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Pretty sure it's almost the same as what it used to be -- B would have you let go of a ledge while A would go upwards. I have a feeling this is mostly the same but with the added benefit of A initiating the climb so you don't run up walls accidentally anymore.

The next thing that it could also tie into as well is something like vaults. So if you hold A, you'll vault something, hold B and you'll slide under it. Or, let's say there's a stack of crates you're running down but at one point there's a pole to swing on... holding A might leap to the pole (up) and have you continue to move that way whereas holding B, you'd stay on the crates until you reached the ground.

Farlander1991
03-27-2014, 08:25 AM
The next thing that it could also tie into as well is something like vaults. So if you hold A, you'll vault something, hold B and you'll slide under it.

That's how it works now as well (with the difference if you're pressing vault or slide where it's impossible to vault or slide respectively, then the character will do the opposite action).

deskp
03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
i think valuting and sliding should be automatic when your holding the freerun button. then if you want to jump off a small thing onto a pole or wahtever you needa hold pkoUP button.

RinoTheBouncer
03-27-2014, 11:24 AM
I think those are just placeholders for something else. I mean, I doubt they’ll write “Parkour up” in the final cut of the game. But I’m sure there will be new actions.

Calvarok
03-27-2014, 11:39 AM
That's how it works now as well (with the difference if you're pressing vault or slide where it's impossible to vault or slide respectively, then the character will do the opposite action).
That's not how it works. you slide under things if you only hold right trigger, holding B will either vault if it's vaultable or not affect the slide. Holding either B or A makes you vault vaultable things. Holding A at a slideable thing will either make you vault it or parkour up it.

mostly the B and A buttons do the same thing wrt vaulting right now.

bveUSbve
03-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I only recently learned about the new functions of the 'B' button for free-running. I don't know yet if I can become accustomed to using it in an intuitive way at all. However, HOLDING 'B' for even a short time feels certainly quite uncomfortable to me. So I am skeptical towards any changes of the former (pre III) control scheme if they are meant to include HOLDING 'B' on a regular basis.

Farlander1991
03-27-2014, 11:47 AM
That's not how it works. you slide under things if you only hold right trigger

You don't if the thing can be climbed on or jumped over (let's say a fence with a hole under, there's a bunch of those in AC3, but you won't slide if you just hold the right trigger).

But basically, if there's only one choice, then both A and B will do the same thing (i.e. if the object can only be slid under, it will be slid under, if the object can only be vaulted over, it will be vaulted over), but if you find yourself near an object that can be BOTH slid under and vaulted over, then the button affects what you do, i.e. drop button for sliding, jump button for vaulting (and just holding the right trigger on such objects will make the character jump on the object).

Not sure how holding the jump button will affect fence with a hole that I've mentioned, I've mostly tested the vault/sliding mechanics on smaller objects (tree branches, different stuff and stands on the streets, etc.)

Aphex_Tim
03-27-2014, 01:21 PM
We basically already had a down button in previous games. If you run towards a ledge while holding the drop button, you'll drop down onto a lower object instead of stopping or jumping to your death.

Matt.mc
03-27-2014, 01:29 PM
How tall a building are we talking here?
Like San Gimignano?
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/755/7556044/2358024-0979105495-AC2_S.jpg

oliacr
03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
I think those are just placeholders for something else. I mean, I doubt they’ll write “Parkour up” in the final cut of the game. But I’m sure there will be new actions.

Agreed.

And 2 separate buttons for parkouring? One up and one down- I think this is pointless. But we'll see in the very first gameplay :D

RinoTheBouncer
03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Agreed.

And 2 separate buttons for parkouring? One up and one down- I think this is pointless. But we'll see in the very first gameplay :D

Yeah. Why put two buttons when the analogue stick can do the directions? and it’s interesting how the way Assassins move was never named Parkour, as far as I know, but Free Running. Parkour, though it’s a newly created sport, it’s of French origin, both the word and the sport. So It’s interested that it’s being referred to as Parkour now when we’re headed to France.

oliacr
03-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah. Why put two buttons when the analogue stick can do the directions? and it’s interesting how the way Assassins move was never named Parkour, as far as I know, but Free Running. Parkour, though it’s a newly created sport, it’s of French origin, both the word and the sport. So It’s interested that it’s being referred to as Parkour now when we’re headed to France.

I really want to see the new moves, even if they create a new free run system like AC3. It felt fresh. I hope this will be too.

Farlander1991
03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
and it’s interesting how the way Assassins move was never named Parkour, as far as I know, but Free Running. Parkour, though it’s a newly created sport, it’s of French origin, both the word and the sport. So It’s interested that it’s being referred to as Parkour now when we’re headed to France.

Which is curious, because Assassins for the most part (with the exception of one or two of AC3/AC4 vaulting moves) were doing parkour rather than free-running. Parkour is about getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, free-running is about showing off with tricks.

RinoTheBouncer
03-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Which is curious, because Assassins for the most part (with the exception of one or two of AC3/AC4 vaulting moves) were doing parkour rather than free-running. Parkour is about getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, free-running is about showing off with tricks.

Yeah. I hope the moves will be more stylish here. I mean it’s great to see an Assassin show off. I know it’s not about showing off, but more about getting from point A to point B, stealthily but it’s good as a visual experience for us, gamers.

Dome500
03-27-2014, 06:05 PM

In that regard AC is mostly a parkour game, always was.

And 2 separate buttons for parkouring? One up and one down- I think this is pointless.

I don't think so. Doing it with the camera position or with the thumb-stick will not work, and we definitely need a separation of going up and down in parkour climbing, adds fluidity, immersion AND it adds player control.

How tall a building are we talking here?
Like San Gimignano?

That tall:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Facade-notre-dame-paris-ciel-bleu.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_hLrli7P5RE/T2CbJGaBjuI/AAAAAAAAEj0/wsMe_iZtTBk/s1600/raguenet+joust+of+mariners+in+front+of+hte+pont.jp g
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ff04jFahOYg/T2CbIR8vj3I/AAAAAAAAEjs/3EvBUGIJK-4/s1600/raguenet+fire+of+the+hotel+dieu.jpg

http://s14.directupload.net/images/140327/d779tydd.png
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140327/xoq5ajx7.png
http://s1.directupload.net/images/140327/ifsahmyo.png

RinoTheBouncer
03-27-2014, 06:29 PM
In that regard AC is mostly a parkour game, always was.

I don't think so. Doing it with the camera position or with the thumb-stick will not work, and we definitely need a separation of going up and down in parkour climbing, adds fluidity, immersion AND it adds player control.

That tall:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Facade-notre-dame-paris-ciel-bleu.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_hLrli7P5RE/T2CbJGaBjuI/AAAAAAAAEj0/wsMe_iZtTBk/s1600/raguenet+joust+of+mariners+in+front+of+hte+pont.jp g
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ff04jFahOYg/T2CbIR8vj3I/AAAAAAAAEjs/3EvBUGIJK-4/s1600/raguenet+fire+of+the+hotel+dieu.jpg

http://s14.directupload.net/images/140327/d779tydd.png
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140327/xoq5ajx7.png
http://s1.directupload.net/images/140327/ifsahmyo.png

Impressive artworks/photos. However, I feel like it’s gonna be a current gen. recreation of ACII locations. It isn’t a bad thing and I know both are different but since we’re on rooftops the whole time and not delving deep enough into the culture and interiors, as well as both being European in close-enough time periods, they’ll look the same to most players.

I wonder if they’ll include all those details or we’ll just spend our time in the ghettos. That, I’d hate.

MaceoniK
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM
My guess is, the parkour up and parkour down thing is not new, in previous games it is simply called, jump and drop... They are just using the word parkour because the game is set in France, and that's where the word originates.
http://theimagehost.net/upload/c0419f0f8de16ee52243a631e85ea16b.jpg

Dome500
03-28-2014, 12:07 AM
Impressive artworks/photos. However, I feel like it’s gonna be a current gen. recreation of ACII locations. It isn’t a bad thing and I know both are different but since we’re on rooftops the whole time and not delving deep enough into the culture and interiors, as well as both being European in close-enough time periods, they’ll look the same to most players.

I wonder if they’ll include all those details or we’ll just spend our time in the ghettos. That, I’d hate.

Who tells you that Unity will not have interiors or not dive into the culture....?
I don't understand how you mean that...

My guess is, the parkour up and parkour down thing is not new, in previous games it is simply called, jump and drop... They are just using the word parkour because the game is set in France, and that's where the word originates.

I don't think so. I think it is an EVOLUTION of the system we had previously. I can imagine that probably you will have the options parkour up and down when pressing the parkour button, but you will also have the drop option. Parkour up and down will just help the game to identify better if the player wants to continue climbing up or if he wants to climb down, while drop will try to drop the player to the ground from his current position.

LUR21
03-28-2014, 01:39 AM
In all honesty I hope it is like the old system with advancements. I felt more in control and definetly felt like it was more challenge and interactive with the "Assassins Claw" system. For me it has been sorely missed. It was just such a staple for this series.