PDA

View Full Version : Does AC rank amongst your favourite games?

Soulid_Snake
03-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Inspired by I-Like-Pie45 in the off topic thread, to get the ball rolling, in no particular order:

1. Ridge Racer Type 4.
2. Beyond Good & Evil.
3. Assassins Creed 2 / Brotherhood.
4. GTAIV.
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
6. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. / Metal Gear Solid 1& 2.
7. Max Payne 3.
8. Mirrors Edge.
9. Portal 2.
10. LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2.

Honorable mentions:

Rachet & Clank Series, Rainbow 6: Vegas 2, Uncharted Series, Crash Bandicoot Series, The Italian Job.

JustPlainQuirky
03-26-2014, 04:02 AM
The Legend of Zelda Franchise used to be my favorite. But now I think it's this one.

These two franchises are the only ones I look forward to regularly.

Other franchises I like usually have only 1 to 3 games.

BATISTABUS
03-26-2014, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't say any AC game is my favorite video game of all time. I'd probably put AC1 in my top 3, though. That being said, AC is my favorite gaming franchise of all time.

Assassin_M
03-26-2014, 04:19 AM
I wouldn't say any AC game is my favorite video game of all time. I'd probably put AC1 in my top 3, though. That being said, AC is my favorite gaming franchise of all time.
This for me too..

Kagurra
03-26-2014, 04:23 AM
I love the games... but no, I don't think so. Maybe AC5 will be up there if it makes some big changes. If one of the AC games were to be on my list, it would probably be AC1 for the amazing assassination missions and probably nostalgia. The world had a great feel to it despite the repetitive missions.

So, in no particular order,

PoP: Sands of Time Trilogy
Borderlands
Dead Space
Resident Evil 4
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 2
Left 4 Dead
MGS3

Edit: and from what I've seen from Ground Zeroes, MGS5 looks very promising. DA:I aswell. Hopefully that can replace Origins on my list. It hasn't aged well like some of the other games.

Soulid_Snake
03-26-2014, 04:30 AM
This for me too..

M, what other games do you like outta curiosity? Read Dead's one of them surely!

Edit: and from what I've seen from Ground Zeroes, MGS5 looks very promising. DA:I aswell. Hopefully that can replace Origins on my list. It hasn't aged well like some of the other games.

EDIT: Got GZ, gotta say I was very disappointed, from a technical stand point, the graphics are beautiful, but the controls are wonky. Creatively, it doesn't feel like a MG game.

Assassin_M
03-26-2014, 04:38 AM
M, what other games do you like outta curiosity? Read Dead's one of them surely!
Hmm..lets see...Red Dead is definitely my favorite game of all time..others would include, in no particular order:
Ape Escape
Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 and 3
the Digimon World games on PS1
GTA SA
Dragon's Dogma
The Witcher 2
Dragonball Z Tenkaichi 3
Tekken 3
Spyro year of the dragon and a hero's tail
Robin Hood: the legend of Sherwood
Darkstone
Stronghold
Settlers 3
Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon
FIFA 14
Mafia II
Harvest Moon back to nature
Infamous

these are some of my favorite games x)

Kagurra
03-26-2014, 04:43 AM

EDIT: Got GZ, gotta say I was very disappointed, from a technical stand point, the graphics are beautiful, but the controls are wonky. Creatively, it doesn't feel like a MG game.

Hm. I disagree. I think the controls are progressive and quite fluid and functional. ONLY issue I've had as far as the game doing something I didn't want it to is Snake standing up randomly while crawling because of a rock or something. But that isn't a control issue, it's a game issue. There are so many ways to play the little side ops if you really zoom yourself out of your original run, so I feel the replayability and a little taste of the world, graphics, etc. is worth the price.

As far as creatively, there's only one story mission. I got a MGS feel from it, so I disagree there aswell. Only thing it's missing is David Hayter, but I'm over being upset about new VAs after Sam Fisher, so I just shrug it off.

BATISTABUS
03-26-2014, 05:19 AM
Hmm..lets see...Red Dead is definitely my favorite game of all time..
No ****ing way dude. It's like we're on the same wave-

Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Never mind.

Assassin_M
03-26-2014, 05:26 AM
No ****ing way dude. It's like we're on the same wave-

Never mind.
Oh come now, it's pretty close 8P

MAYBE if I played Budokai 3 first xP I played Budokai 1 first, then Tenkaichi 1 then 2, 3 and then Budokai 3 xP

Legendz54
03-26-2014, 06:02 AM
Oh come now, it's pretty close 8P

MAYBE if I played Budokai 3 first xP I played Budokai 1 first, then Tenkaichi 1 then 2, 3 and then Budokai 3 xP

Budokai 3 was the best DBZ game for me :) everything was just perfect, the graphics, angles of the fight and the combat was awesome.

OP: Yes It does I find that games that i cant immerse myself into the the story im just not interested in unless they have amazing gameplay. The Walking Dead Game and The Last of us are some of my favorites

I-Like-Pie45
03-26-2014, 06:05 AM
I notice that all the Tekken games after 3 are not on your list

roostersrule2
03-26-2014, 06:56 AM
The AC series is probably my favourite, I still feel as if it's a class behind most other big series' however.

1. RDR
2. Mass Effect 2
3. LA Noire
4. AC2
5. The Witcher 2
6. GTA V
7. TWD: Season 1
8. RLL2
9. FIFA 12
10. TLOZ: Twilight Princess

LoyalACFan
03-26-2014, 07:06 AM
AC2 and AC4 are solidly within my top 10 favorite games, with AC1 lurking somewhere slightly under that margin. I can't really nail down a specific ranking, but my top 10 lists usually include:

Red Dead Redemption
MGS3
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
AC4
AC2
Infamous
GTA4 + Episodes
Batman: AA
The Last of Us
The Walking Dead

in some order or another. I realize that list is heavily skewed toward the last 3-5 years, but I'm only in my early 20s and it feels wrong to lump in some of my nostalgic favorites from my childhood (i.e. Donkey Kong Country and Spyro) with game I love as an adult.

bveUSbve
03-26-2014, 09:52 AM
ACII and Brotherhood are at the top of my favorite games.

I doubt any upcoming AC title can repeat their success with me - the direction has changed too much, too much appealing to everyone, not enough time given to polish anything beyond being "good enough", no more directors that insert the type of "soul" I appreciate into the games.

GunnerGalactico
03-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Some of my best gaming moments came from Uncharted, AC and God of War. :cool:

frodrigues55
03-26-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm not really a gamer, but Tomb Raider was always the series that I followed every single thing since the release of Tomb Raider 3.

However, AC is now my top franchise. I think they basically do everything I wanted Tomb Raider to do right but they don't anymore for whatever reason. I will probably always follow it, but not with the passion I had and now developed for the AC series.

jayjay275
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
AC is probably my favourite franchise, but there has been ups and downs in this franchise. Following up would probably be Kingdom Hearts then Uncharted.

Sushiglutton
03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Yes and no. It's by far my favourite IP. I think the idea of visiting various historical eras/settings and be able to parkour them freely is simply amazing. I love to just explore these worlds and not really do anything. I have more hours than I care to admit in AC3 which I spent mostly roaming the frontier and taking screenshots and stuff. AC has the best worlds to me, places I really enjoy visiting.

I also think the assassin fantasy is genuinely cool. Hooded guy standing on a rooftop carefully observing the people below before he swiftly strikes and then escapes into the crowd. It's very elegant to me. I like the look, the hidden blades. Another thing that is outstanding in the franchise is the animations. I don't know any other IP in which it's so enjoyable to just watch the protagonist move around. The music has been great throughout.

However even though I love the IP I'm so frustrated by the subpar gameplay. I can not understand why Ubi doesn't invest heavily in it. Every forum, every comment section, every discussion I've had with passionate gamers. They all say pretty much the same thing. Combat is so simplistic that it becomes a chore. Stealth is broken. Parkour is automatic and unprecise. The mission design is frequently repetetive and unispired. A lot of the sidecontent is very generic and obv fillers.

I just can't understand why they are not much more focused on correcting these issues that have plagued the franchise since its conception. It's so clear what they need to do, but for some reason they resist. If they at least had a roadmap to correct these flaws longterm.

If they invested in strong core gameplay they would knock the Rockstars, Rocksteadys and Naughty Dogs out of the water and awards would rain down on Montreal like a freaking waterfall, because they have so many other amazing things going for them.

jayjay275
03-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Yes and no. It's by far my favourite IP. I think the idea of visiting various historical eras/settings and be able to parkour them freely is simply amazing. I love to just explore these worlds and not really do anything. I have more hours than I care to admit in AC3 which I spent mostly roaming the frontier and taking screenshots and stuff. AC has the best worlds to me, places I really enjoy visiting.

I also think the assassin fantasy is genuinely cool. Hooded guy standing on a rooftop carefully observing the people below before he swiftly strikes and then escapes into the crowd. It's very elegant to me. I like the look, the hidden blades. Another thing that is outstanding in the franchise is the animations. I don't know any other IP in which it's so enjoyable to just watch the protagonist move around. The music has been great throughout.

However even though I love the IP I'm so frustrated by the subpar gameplay. I can not understand why Ubi doesn't invest heavily in it. Every forum, every comment section, every discussion I've had with passionate gamers. They all say pretty much the same thing. Combat is so simplistic that it becomes a chore. Stealth is broken. Parkour is automatic and unprecise. The mission design is frequently repetetive and unispired. A lot of the sidecontent is very generic and obv fillers.

I just can't understand why they are not much more focused on correcting these issues that have plagued the franchise since its conception. It's so clear what they need to do, but for some reason they resist. If they at least had a roadmap to correct these flaws longterm.

If they invested in strong core gameplay they would knock the Rockstars, Rocksteadys and Naughty Dogs out of the water and awards would rain down on Montreal like a freaking waterfall, because they have so many other amazing things going for them.

So true...

danykk2009
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Completely agree with everything you said there.

SixKeys
03-26-2014, 01:07 PM
1. ACB, AC1 & AC2 (in that order)
2. Journey
3. The Last of Us
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Okami
6. XCom: Enemy Unknown
7. Civilization 5
8. AC4
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
10. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

adventurewomen
03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Agreed, this is exactly the way I feel about AC games. :)

D4rkAssass1n123
03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
my favourite franchises are:

1. Assassins Creed (any of them ) especially black flag (haters gonna hate)
2. Ace Attorney
3.Monster Hunter
4.Batman Arkham series
5.Kingdom Hearts
6. Mass Effect
7. Dragon Age
8. Metroid
9. The Legend of Zelda
10. Dark Souls

rcole_sooner
03-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Not a hard set order, but this is my initial thought. No slam against AC, these are all very close and I would not pass up any of them.

Also these only include the FPS or FPS/RPG versions of these games. I prefer FPS but 3rd person with FPS type game play counts.

Far Cry (this is a pretty hard set first place game series)
Crysis (another hard set top pick)
Bioshock
Tomb Raider
Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Halo
Fallout

Seems like I am missing 1 or 2.

ArabianFrost
03-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Assassin's Creed is unarguably my favourite entertainment series of all time. There is no other series to which I have dedicated so much time or passion as AC. EVERY aspect of it excites me. I love the suspense from the global conspiracy aspect of it, I really love the food-for-thought the game's philosophy offers, I love stories of all the characters, I love the mysticism of the mythological parts and how they still connect to the "lesson" the game is trying to teach, I love the sheer amount of freedom this game allows you. Many games claim they're sandbox games, but only AC can offer as much freedom to explore the environment around you via parkour. The stealth in the game also has a great deal of potential. I don't really mind the combat either. I'm not really that well-versed on history, but it's almost magical the way AC recreates worlds. Last thing and most importantly is the fluidity and navigation. Sometimes I'd just like to press R1 and just watch the character navigate buildings and monuments so smoothly.

Other interests include:
1-Civilisation
2-Battlefied
3-The Arkham series
4-X-com:enemy unkown
5-Saints Row
6-Far fry 3
7-The Witcher series
8-The Red dead series if they can start adding more diversity to missions
9-Fallout: New Vegas
10-The last of us
11-Dragon's Dogma

LionHeart XXII
03-26-2014, 05:40 PM
I have loved AC since the beginning. AC1 was one of the biggest reasons for me getting an xbox 360 back in when it was released. Then AC2 came out and I was completly smitten with the franchise. AC2 was such an emersive experience for me, I remember when Ezio's family was betrayed I felt the rage and anger and wanted revenge just as much as Ezio I swear. Then Brotherhood came out and again I played the crap out of that game as well, but since then my gaming tastes have expanded and can now include other games into what I call my favorites.

1. Assassin's Creed (in general although AC2 I count as my all time favorite game)
2. Mass Effect Series
3. Elder Scrolls series (Especially Skyrim)

LatinaC09
03-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Assassin's Creed (whole series) is at the very top of my gaming list.
Other favorites include but are not limited to: Halo 3, Mass Effect 3, Star Wars the Force Unleashed, Infamous, The Last of Us, Tony Hawk, Red Dead Redemption, Little Big planet. There's more but I can't think of them lol

AherasSTRG
03-26-2014, 08:12 PM
1. Assassin's Creed
2. Mass Effect
3. Star Wars The Force Unleashed
4. The Legend of Zelda (until the Twilight Princess)

oliacr
03-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Its definitely in the top five of my favourite franchises.

lothario-da-be
03-26-2014, 09:09 PM
As many others already said none of the ac games is my favourite, but its my favourite franchise for sure. None of the ac games come close too The last of us, but as a franchise? Best of all time imo, despite all the flaws.

SixKeys
03-27-2014, 01:07 AM
Funny that so many say the individual games aren't really their favorites, but the franchise as a whole is. For me AC's shortcomings aren't as glaring in individual games but as a franchise it's been disappointing. It started out interesting, but settled in too quickly with some returning elements that would go on to form a brand, like the white hoods, lip scars, side activities etc. After AC1 they could have gone anywhere and done anything - the next assassin could have had a wildly different design from Alta´r, they could have ditched the eagle theme and swapped it for another symbolic animal, etc. but because they did white hoods and eagles twice in a row, people came to expect those things from every entry in the franchise from now till kingdom come. AC had the potential to become an absolutely fantastic franchise, but they mucked it up by brand-locking it early on.

Dome500
03-27-2014, 01:12 AM
Well, let'S see. This one is difficult:

1. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
2. Hitman Blood Money
3. Splinter Cell - Stealth Action Redefined
4. Splinter Cell Blacklist
5. Civilization V
6. Dishonored
7. Deus Ex - Human Revolution
8. Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow
9. Hitman Contracts
10. Mass Effect 2
11. Civilization IV
12. Mark of the Ninja
13. Portal 2
14. Mass Effect 1
15. Assassins Creed 1
16. Mass Effect 3
17. Hitman Absolution
18. Thief
19. Splinter Cell Conviction
20. Splinter Cell Double Agent (7th gen)
21. Hitman Silent Assassin
22. Assassins Creed 2
23. Batman Arkham City
24. Tomb Raider (2014 Reboot)
25. Assassins Creed 4
26. The Stanley Parable
27. Assassins Creed Revelations
28. Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare
29. Call of Duty 2
30. Supreme Commander (1)
31. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
32. Assassins Creed 3

That's kind of a rough sketch. Some games might change +/- 2 positions based on my mood, and the rating is not 100% accurate since I just made it up in 2 minutes.
I could go on with a LOT of games, but to be honest I am starting to loose the grip of any definition about where I should place the games in this list, so I'm gonna stop at 32.

Side Note: I am a PC-only gamer so I have not played Uncharted, The Last of US, the Metal Gear Solid Games or other console exclusive titles.

shobhit7777777
03-27-2014, 06:35 AM
ACR is among my fav games....but I can't say AC is my favourite franchise partly because they haven't quite nailed the AC experience yet....I really really want it to be part of my top 5 or top 10 but it just isn't good enough

Shahkulu101
03-27-2014, 06:40 AM
ACR is among my fav games....but I can't say AC is my favourite franchise partly because they haven't quite nailed the AC experience yet....I really really want it to be part of my top 5 or top 10 but it just isn't good enough

Think about though. How many hours have you put into AC? Whenever I play I see the flaws yeah, but I play for hours and hours and hours without getting bored. We all do it. That's why the franchise is so successful and why Ubi annualized the thing. The games are so good, yet they don't exploit the potential there. But they are still amazing, and we all love them.

AC is one of the best franchises of all time.

shobhit7777777
03-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Think about though. How many hours have you put into AC? Whenever I play I see the flaws yeah, but I play for hours and hours and hours without getting bored. We all do it. That's why the franchise is so successful and why Ubi annualized the thing. The games are so good, yet they don't exploit the potential there. But they are still amazing, and we all love them.

The hours I put in have no bearing on whether the game makes it to my fav list....I judge it upon the experiences I'm left with.

Every game in my top 10 has given me breathtaking GAMEPLAY centric moments...moments which I'll always remember and narrate as stories to gamer friends.

Besides, in a game like AC I've put in countless hours trying out every mechanic, peeling back layers of the game systems and generally trying to check the game for depth and robustness. You cannot fathom the hours I've spent tailing an eyewitness patrol in ACR constantly trying to break the social stealth elements.....trying to stealth assassinate a guard in public and trying to blend in and escape before I get detected in AC4......its more like an experiment for me than actual 'Gameplay'.....some of it is fun...but most of it only gives me ammo to shred the game.

I'm actually positive about the franchise...its taking an upwards turn....but it still has a way to go before it gets into my top 5/10

GunnerGalactico
03-27-2014, 08:09 AM
The hours I put in have no bearing on whether the game makes it to my fav list....I judge it upon the experiences I'm left with.

Every game in my top 10 has given me breathtaking GAMEPLAY centric moments...moments which I'll always remember and narrate as stories to gamer friends.

Besides, in a game like AC I've put in countless hours trying out every mechanic, peeling back layers of the game systems and generally trying to check the game for depth and robustness. You cannot fathom the hours I've spent tailing an eyewitness patrol in ACR constantly trying to break the social stealth elements.....trying to stealth assassinate a guard in public and trying to blend in and escape before I get detected in AC4......its more like an experiment for me than actual 'Gameplay'.....some of it is fun...but most of it only gives me ammo to shred the game.

This I agree with 100% :)

D.I.D.
03-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Games are really difficult, because my relationship to them changes faster than it does with any other medium. If I try and rank favourites, I'm having to think about how they made me feel on the first day that I played them. So, a true and honest list of my favourite games would probably have to include things like Half Life, even though I haven't played it in this century and probably never will again, and I'd also have to include games like Asteroids, Breakout, and Elite.

But if I narrow it down to ten games of this century for which I have a soft spot, these are the ones that come to mind first (in no order):

Bioshock Infinite
Portal 2
Ico
Driver: San Francisco
Sleeping Dogs
Rayman Legends
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

I have to say that technically, in pretty much every aspect from level design through to graphics, AC IV is the best of the series so far. But there's a difference between "best" and "most loved". Fully half of my favourite games turn out to be Ubisoft titles!

D.I.D.
03-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Funny that so many say the individual games aren't really their favorites, but the franchise as a whole is. For me AC's shortcomings aren't as glaring in individual games but as a franchise it's been disappointing. It started out interesting, but settled in too quickly with some returning elements that would go on to form a brand, like the white hoods, lip scars, side activities etc. After AC1 they could have gone anywhere and done anything - the next assassin could have had a wildly different design from Alta´r, they could have ditched the eagle theme and swapped it for another symbolic animal, etc. but because they did white hoods and eagles twice in a row, people came to expect those things from every entry in the franchise from now till kingdom come. AC had the potential to become an absolutely fantastic franchise, but they mucked it up by brand-locking it early on.

I agree with every word of that. The assassin uniform is a huge mistake, and Ubisoft needs to show some bravery and defy its audience. People need to be shown what they've missed by insisting on the same silhouette. We're like a time traveller in this series, but never a character of the times.

Farlander1991
03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
I don't necessarily agree that Ubisoft made a mistake by brand-locking early on, because in retrospective, it was supposed to be just three games. The assassin uniform, the eagle theme, and all that stuff would be the defining instantly recognizable elements of the trilogy that would also neatly connect these things together. Could people during the making of AC2 REALLY expect how AC franchise would turn out to be? That there'd be several AC games in production at the same time? I don't think so.

I mean, sure, on one hand they knew that they could go anywhere they wanted and make as many AC games as historically possible, but on the other hand, they were making a trilogy, and not setting up a huge yearly franchise.

I think that some of the brand things set up in AC2 were perfectly reasonable with the assumption 'there will be one more game and then we'll see' (and I think that had AC been a trilogy and later receiving a new game people would be much more open to changes they complain about now, like hoods and whatnot). It just kinda backfired with the success of the series.

D.I.D.
03-27-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't necessarily agree that Ubisoft made a mistake by brand-locking early on, because in retrospective, it was supposed to be just three games. The assassin uniform, the eagle theme, and all that stuff would be the defining instantly recognizable elements of the trilogy that would also neatly connect these things together. Could people during the making of AC2 REALLY expect how AC franchise would turn out to be? That there'd be several AC games in production at the same time? I don't think so.

I mean, sure, on one hand they knew that they could go anywhere they wanted and make as many AC games as historically possible, but on the other hand, they were making a trilogy, and not setting up a huge yearly franchise.

I think that some of the brand things set up in AC2 were perfectly reasonable with the assumption 'there will be one more game and then we'll see' (and I think that had AC been a trilogy and later receiving a new game people would be much more open to changes they complain about now, like hoods and whatnot). It just kinda backfired with the success of the series.

I don't believe it was really meant to be three games. Lots of people have been surprised /appalled by Ubisoft's recent announcement that all Ubi games are now designed to be epic series, but this shouldn't be a shock. They've always thought that way (Rayman, Splinter Cell, PoP, Brothers in Arms, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc).

When you think back to the interviews in "serious" games press such as Edge UK when AC first appeared, the sense of ambition for the concept was obviously vast. Certainly, after AC2 they knew that the series was going much further, hence the development of Brotherhood and Revelations.

Whatever the case, now it needs to be ditched. I'm hoping that the move away from beaked hoods is a step towards phasing out these things.

Farlander1991
03-27-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't believe it was really meant to be three games.

I don't see why that would be unbelievable. They've already made one trilogy before (that being PoP), so they planned for sequels but also for the fact that it might not exactly work out. It was a new IP, which they were ambitious about and sure of, but they still couldn't exactly know that it would become immensely popular. And while AC1 received positive critical reception and had good sales, the series didn't boom until after AC2.

D.I.D.
03-27-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't see why that would be unbelievable. They've already made one trilogy before (that being PoP), so they planned for sequels but also for the fact that it might not exactly work out. It was a new IP, which they were ambitious about and sure of, but they still couldn't exactly know that it would become immensely popular. And while AC1 received positive critical reception and had good sales, the series didn't boom until after AC2.

I think it was more audacious that they announced a promise for three games right off the bat. That was the big reveal, the grand statement that let you know Ubi was committed to this game before it was even out.

But look at Ubi's history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubisoft_games

This is not a company that has an interest in games it can't serialise. They're always trying to do that.

ze_topazio
03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I can't even make a top of this gen much less a top of all the games I played throughout my life, I'm very indecisive when it comes to this things, but I'm very fond of this series, I really like its concept.

Dome500
03-27-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't believe it was really meant to be three games. Lots of people have been surprised /appalled by Ubisoft's recent announcement that all Ubi games are now designed to be epic series, but this shouldn't be a shock. They've always thought that way (Rayman, Splinter Cell, PoP, Brothers in Arms, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc).

When you think back to the interviews in "serious" games press such as Edge UK when AC first appeared, the sense of ambition for the concept was obviously vast. Certainly, after AC2 they knew that the series was going much further, hence the development of Brotherhood and Revelations.

Whatever the case, now it needs to be ditched. I'm hoping that the move away from beaked hoods is a step towards phasing out these things.

The ORIGINAL creator of the AC franchise had 3 games planned and left when the Ezio-Trilogy started and it became clear that Ubisoft wanted to milk the franchise.
At least that's how I got it from several articles and interviews.

Originally it was planned "Altair - Ezio - ?" (probably someone like Connor) (+ Desmond of course)

I do think that the (story-)creator did indeed know that Ubisoft would probably milk the franchise, but I think he didn't know that they would do it BEFORE his planned "trilogy" was finished.

killzab
03-27-2014, 05:52 PM
The ORIGINAL creator of the AC franchise had 3 games planned and left when the Ezio-Trilogy started and it became clear that Ubisoft wanted to milk the franchise.
At least that's how I got it from several articles and interviews.

Originally it was planned "Altair - Ezio - ?" (probably someone like Connor) (+ Desmond of course)

I do think that the (story-)creator did indeed know that Ubisoft would probably milk the franchise, but I think he didn't know that they would do it BEFORE his planned "trilogy" was finished.

ACIII was supposed to be a modern day game with Desmond with several set-pieces with several ancestors in the past.

Assassin_M
03-27-2014, 05:59 PM
ACIII was supposed to be a modern day game with Desmond with several set-pieces with several ancestors in the past.
and you know this how?

Farlander1991
03-27-2014, 06:47 PM
As far as I know, based on a number of interviews during ACIII production and after it, modern day AC3 wasn't as much 'supposed to', as there were talks about it (plus Phillipe Bergeron's wishes that it would be like that).

There was no definite plan of how ACII and ACIII would've looked like with the exception of a general outline of Desmond's story.

killzab
03-27-2014, 06:50 PM
and you know this how?

It's been talked about several times over.

yankeegamergirl
03-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Yes...
Top three probably are
1.ACII
2.GTA:Vice City
3.Space Channel 5 part 2.
The rest are in no particular order
LA. Noire
GTA: San Andreas
Space Channel 5 part 1
Sly Raccoon 1, 2 and 3 ( haven't played the 4th yet)
AC I
Sonic
Guitar Hero World Tour....just some of the top of my head....

Assassin_M
03-27-2014, 08:17 PM
It's been talked about several times over.
All mere speculation, nothing more...no one from ubisoft EVER said AC3 was going to be entirely modern day...