PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty of assassins creed games

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
So with the new announcement of of assassins creed unity, do you think that the game will easier or harder than previous installments?
In my opinion the games are becoming too easy and require less skill, you think that ubisoft will further simplify or provide a challenge for the people who want it?
I know a lot of people have suggested a difficulty setting, what are your opinions of this?

oliacr
03-25-2014, 04:24 PM
I think ACIV was a bit harder than AC 3 so maybe this will be a bit more harder, or the same.

RoBg03
03-25-2014, 04:25 PM
they are pretty easy games to beat. i think this is ok, because of the length of the games. personnally i think i get something like 60 hrs out of an ac game, which i think is good. seems like every game though, there is a mission that is so annoying that i almost quit, or do quit playing for a while. its ussually not about difficulty though, but just some annoying game mechanic. in black flag i remember that stupid first long bay mission it was so much of a pain in the *** to find my way around that level. i don't know if it was the rendering, or design, but there was no clear path and i kept getting headaches trying to find my way through a mess of vegetation that in real life i'd be able to just push aside. its ok to have a non-linear map, but don't make it a mind-f to find the path through. that said, difficulty settings would be cool. just make the fights harder or something. don't mess with the noteriety system though, like in ac3 where as you flee from combat, gaurds who are 6 blocks away and would have no idea you were being persued are standing waiting for you to show up....what the f? do they txt each other? 'OMG, assn headed ur way'

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Really? In my opinion AC3 was the hardest, especially given the optional objectives! Ac1 was also harder! I thought however that 4 was very easy, I pretty much breezed through the game, even the legendary ships didn't cause me that much grief, do you think they will incorporate a difficulty setting?

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Hahaha #assassin #gethim #selfie
Hahaha no I agree with you, often what makes it easier or harder is the gameplay or broken features, the amount of times an AI would see me in 4 and then just because I crouched in a small bush they were like "must have been nothing carry on, maybe one of those native birds in the white capes". However they have said they spent a lot of time on this new game so I am excited!
Difficulty setting would be good but I'd like to see some effort go into each setting so for example:
Easy- larger health, less alert ai, enhanced eagle vision etc
Hard- strong AI, enemies that can almost force you to play cautiously
Etc that's just a rough idea, but it feels like the gameplay doesn't reward experienced players!

Dome500
03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
@UKassassinsfan => agreed, we need a difficulty setting:

Recruit => More Health, A.I. makes less damage, longer detection time for A.I.
Assassin => Like every previous game, Normal Health (~ like Connors Health), A.I. detects you in "average" time, normal A.I. damage
Master Assassin => Less Health, A.I. makes more damage, shorter detection time.

Also, 2 additional thing here:

1. The A.I. needs a better "investigate" state. Meaning if they see you more than a few seconds (yellow detection arc/symbol) they will start to go to your position and search there. If they find dead bodies or detected you and you escaped all A.I. in the area will search for you for ~ 1 minute or so.

2. I'd like to have armor and health separated.The Armor bar would be like the health bar in AC4, while the health bar would be like the Health bar in AC3 or in the leaked ACU pictures.
Armor will reduce any damage made by the enemies. If you loose armor it will deflect less of the damage (100%= max. protection possible, 75% less prot., 50% even less prot., 25% almost no prot., 0% No protection, direct damage if hit). If your armor is damaged it needs to be restored. If it has still 75% it will regenerate to 100% over time (I know it sounds stupid, but that way you do not need to repair it all the time, also you can pretend the protagonist can somehow fix it himself a little bit), if it is below 75% it will not regerate. You will have to let it be repaired then in order to have full protection again, although the armor which has more than 0% will still reduce your damage slightly. Your health is ALWAYS damaged if you are hit, but how much depends on your equipped armor and in which condition (100%, 75%,50%,25%,0%) it is.

Those 2 changes would be good IMO.

Also, remove one-button-hit-kill-streaks completely.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Yeah I like your ideas there dome, I definitely agree with the no one button counters, once a good counter has been made you can literally cut through enemies with ease! It would be nice if there was slightly more skill involved with the combat, I especially enjoyed ac3 combat, there was a variety of guards and you couldn't just counter kill anyone, however that does become easy as well!

RoBg03
03-25-2014, 06:28 PM
@dome i like the idea of the armor. thats one of the things i missed from the ezio games...i did like aquiring/repairing armor....even if it was just a health bar thing. I'd really like to see a weight or slot type system in the future. what i mean is that you get say 20 blocks to fit items/armor/weapons. this way you could customize for missions, or customize your assassin to your play. there could be a system for expanding your slots with varying degrees of effects on movement, health and what not. i think of the way you equipt in diablo...but customized for the ac expeirience of course. personally i'd like to play a more lightly equipt assassin that would be more stealthy and quick. maybe have it affect the detection system too. always thought it was somewhat unrealistic when nobody notices the assassin carring a virtual arsenal down the road.

brodenhar
03-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't care if a game is easy, I just want it to be immersive, expansive and entertaining. AC is all that and much more. Let's face it, any game you play will become "easy" after you spend enough hours playing it. The worst thing they can do is screw with the game mechanics and remove the fluid, natural feeling (including kill streaks) that should go along with being a master assassin.

I have 175 hours in Black Flag and I still have a lot more stuff to do...but I just can't seem to pry my hands off of the Jackdaw's wheel long enough to do it. I freakin love sailing around in this game. No matter what they do, the designers absolutely MUST include sailing in future releases.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 06:44 PM
I think they will include sailing the future but I hope we don't have to sail in every game! I enjoyed it but I think it was a nice feature to seperate black flag from other titles! I would hate if in every future game we are shoe horned into playing on a boat, perhaps maybe an ac3 style mini game would be appreciated but if we choose our locations now just so we can sail the game really does become "pirates creed"

Dome500
03-25-2014, 07:17 PM
I don't care if a game is easy, I just want it to be immersive, expansive and entertaining. AC is all that and much more. Let's face it, any game you play will become "easy" after you spend enough hours playing it. The worst thing they can do is screw with the game mechanics and remove the fluid, natural feeling (including kill streaks) that should go along with being a master assassin.

I have 175 hours in Black Flag and I still have a lot more stuff to do...but I just can't seem to pry my hands off of the Jackdaw's wheel long enough to do it. I freakin love sailing around in this game. No matter what they do, the designers absolutely MUST include sailing in future releases.

See? And therefore you would not have a problem with difficulty modes. I mean yes, you personally do not need them. That's okay. But if a lot of other people would like to have it harder but another bunch of people do not care, what is the obvious choice? Exactly, establish difficulty modes.

At least give us 2 difficulties Ubisoft. The "Assassin" (Normal) and "Master Assassin" (Hard). That's almost standard nowadays people.

I understand some people just want the story and do not care about combat/stealth difficulty. But then a difficulty option should not bother them, considering that option would also contain a "normal" difficulty, which would basically be the same as all the previous Assassins Creed. All Ubi needs to do is adjust some modifiers (health bar, damage of A.I.,reaction time) and then voila, they have 2 difficulty modes.

brodenhar
03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Pirate's Creed? Now THERE'S an idea... ;)

It is funny to me how some people think the sailing and naval combat in 4 is too difficult. The feel of it is not too dissimilar from how it feels to handle a real boat (sans sails). I have to credit the programmers for getting it right.

RoBg03
03-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Pirate's Creed? Now THERE'S an idea... ;)

It is funny to me how some people think the sailing and naval combat in 4 is too difficult. The feel of it is not too dissimilar from how it feels to handle a real boat (sans sails). I have to credit the programmers for getting it right.

ac4 naval combat too difficult? i thought it was very arcade like. it was perfect for the game. nobodies going to sit and fight a real 3 hour naval battle. that and you can't sail across the carribean in a half hour. ac3's was more rigid...but is more of what i'd like to see in the new one. i don't think we need a whole second world to sail through and explore, just a few missions relevant to the story and a few sidies for ppl that want to do it.

brodenhar
03-25-2014, 07:30 PM
See? And therefore you would not have a problem with difficulty modes. I mean yes, you personally do not need them. That's okay. But if a lot of other people would like to have it harder but another bunch of people do not care, what is the obvious choice? Exactly, establish difficulty modes.

At least give us 2 difficulties Ubisoft. The "Assassin" (Normal) and "Master Assassin" (Hard). That's almost standard nowadays people.

I understand some people just want the story and do not care about combat/stealth difficulty. But then a difficulty option should not bother them, considering that option would also contain a "normal" difficulty, which would basically be the same as all the previous Assassins Creed. All Ubi needs to do is adjust some modifiers (health bar, damage of A.I.,reaction time) and then voila, they have 2 difficulty modes.

I could handle an additional difficulty mode. They could do that by simply tightening up the timing more. In Black Flag it seems like you can press the counter button almost 2 seconds before an attack and still pull off an effective counter. Just shorten it to a half second and that would be incredible. Better yet, why not offer a "classic mode" that mirrors the combat system of the first game? Could you imagine playing that way through an entire game like Black Flag?

Sushiglutton
03-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Yeah AC is too easy in some ways which sucks the fun out of playing sometimes. In AC4 escaping guards was so easy that the city playground didn't function properly. Combat was also way too easy which makes me lose focus and it just becomes kind of tedious to fight, something that should be exciting in a game! The AI is too forgiving. I prefer it to the psychic AC3 AI, but still it's a bit too much when a guard stares at you while you kill another soldier from a stalking zone, without reacting.

I don't think they will do anything about the difficulty level. They have realized that the hardcore gamers will come for the graphics/detailed open world/unique setting anyway. All they need to do is to make sure the more casual gamers have a friction free experience.

Dome500
03-25-2014, 07:41 PM
I could handle an additional difficulty mode. They could do that by simply tightening up the timing more. In Black Flag it seems like you can press the counter button almost 2 seconds before an attack and still pull off an effective counter. Just shorten it to a half second and that would be incredible. Better yet, why not offer a "classic mode" that mirrors the combat system of the first game? Could you imagine playing that way through an entire game like Black Flag?

meh..... AC1 combat was flawed. I'd rather have a mode with less health, more A.I. damage, less time to react (like you said) and A.I. that detects you faster.

RoBg03
03-25-2014, 07:48 PM
meh..... AC1 combat was flawed. I'd rather have a mode with less health, more A.I. damage, less time to react (like you said) and A.I. that detects you faster.

I agree, i thought ac1 was the easiest of all the games when it came to combat. all you had to do was hold block and hit counter when they attacked. they came at you one at a time and it was easy to slay 20 guys in a row with no problem.

dxsxhxcx
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
I agree, i thought ac1 was the easiest of all the games when it came to combat. all you had to do was hold block and hit counter when they attacked. they came at you one at a time and it was easy to slay 20 guys in a row with no problem.

if I'm not wrong you still can do that (and even if you don't the counter window is so huge that block an attack isn't really necessary) and the guards still come at you one at the time quite often, the difference is that now with the killstreaks you can deal with them faster... at least some guards in AC1 used to break our defense...

DumbGamerTag94
03-25-2014, 08:57 PM

I wonder if these people ever realize that because they don't care about combat/stealth difficulty they are limiting themselves story wise? Because as we have pointed out on other threads advancing the timeline forward would require more difficult enemies due to prominence of guns, and going backward would be really nice but it is limited by the fact that there is literally the same sword style combat for every period before the mid-1500s so that too would become tiresome after 3 games or so just as people are starting to feel with the 1700s being the setting for the past 2 (now 3) main games. So more modern settings will have to happen (1800+), or at least time periods with guns would have to return(circa 1500-1699) otherwise even though there is more time to explore backwards it too will become monotonous as well. So I predict in the future will will go back to earlier periods, and switch to more modern settings when hack and slash starts to get tiresome. So they will eventually have to re evaluate the strength of the A I enemies and ways to use social stealth.

If they don't switch between older settings and more modern ones they run a very high risk of having the same thing every game(even if the setting is different if its just another hack and slash sword game it will get old, same if its another more modern time...without sharp contrasts in time periods things just get predictable and old) and series fatigue will kill AC if that policy isn't adopted soon. Lets go back in time next year, and save more modern settings for another year or two after that.

Calvarok
03-26-2014, 04:41 AM
The games don't have to ball-crunchingly difficult, each mechanic just needs more depth. Make Free-running and combat and stealth feel like something that you really feel like you're mastering.

Simply making the counter windows hard to hit, or making guards easily hit you with rocks while you climb, or making guards detect you faster, that doesn't make the game better. People are really just wanting it to feel more fun and intuitive and FREEING. People want challenge too, but they don't want to fail over and over again until they figure out the specific path to get through, they want to feel like if they've learned how the mechanics work they can know how to navigate any situation how they want to, just by looking at it, and they'll not reach a failstate because of some cheap shot they couldn't have predicted.

The player should feel like they messed up, not that the game is obtuse or the controls are clunky, or that they got wrecked because of a glitch. They should feel like they messed up because they didn't execute correctly, and should know exactly what they did wrong for next time.

More than challenging, each mission should be an interesting playground, with many possibilities.

That said, I think there should indeed be a mode where messing up is more harshly punished: where guards detect slightly faster and their attacks do more damage. But this should also be balanced, not just a crazy "F.U. player" mode. I think that would add a lot of extra work for the designers, but hopefully it's a goal of the Unity dev team.

Kagurra
03-26-2014, 04:45 AM
Can it even get any easier?

(I know it technically could... but you know what I mean.)

But really, it needs a new combat system, a less black and white detection system, and NOT CRAPPY AI. The AI in AC games is literally a joke. People laugh at it all the time and say "That's just how AC is lolol"

Legendz54
03-26-2014, 09:20 AM
I dont think it needs to be harder in terms of difficulty settings but just make it more strategic and have the guards be slightly more aggressive and have more tactics against you.