PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about locations past/future

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 01:02 AM
I've seen a lot of arguments recently about the overuse of Europe.
I don't wanna start any arguments just discussion...
Europe has some an old and colourful history and the majority of buildings suit an AC game well. Now I'm not saying that the rest of the world has boring history in fact I love history but I think that the real problem is the time setting.

If the games keep using this same 17/18th century it gets tedious! I'd love to see another time period but I feel like the only person opposed to china or japan, as far as I know Japanese and Chinese cities from history are quite low buildings, if someone proves me wrong I'd be pleased but I just wanna know what you guys think

No arguments though please

rob.davies2014
03-25-2014, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't mind them staying in Europe but we've definitely got to leave the 18th century now. With all of history to choose from, I'm slightly disappointed by the lack of variety in time periods.
I'd love to see the series go back as far as the Sumerian/Babylonian civilisations.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 01:27 AM
I would also like to see us leave modern history (1500-modern). I would love to see ubisofts attempt at something before Altair.

xecqtor
03-25-2014, 02:08 AM
I would also like to see us leave modern history (1500-modern). I would love to see ubisofts attempt at something before Altair.

i would also like to see before 1k but its not possible because it would not bee assassins creed as altair is the first origin.
The first civilization was of course million years before the assassins, but it could not make sense

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 02:12 AM
I was thinking this, it would be difficult but then again ubisoft seem to be the master of loopholes and making new stories from nothing

rob.davies2014
03-25-2014, 02:22 AM
What?! Of course there were Assassins before Altaïr!
Some might say the first Assassins were those who revolted against the First Civ.
Th earliest case of a 'proper' Assassin was in the 5th century BCE: http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Darius

xecqtor
03-25-2014, 02:22 AM
lEts hope the best, i would like to see all settings, i dont argue, its not the question which setting, the question is in which order should they be released
Not ubisoft did, abstergo invented the animus

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 02:31 AM
I am not sure why any of the new games haven't got numbered sequels though

Fanani
03-25-2014, 02:50 AM
"The templars are betrayed by Hitler.
Their little puppet has outpowered them.
HE is the face of united germany.
But his hatred for the jews...
Our brainwashing has gone too far!
What once was a tool for order and control,
Now it's the doom of this nation.
We have gone too far this time..."

Calvarok
03-25-2014, 03:00 AM
We defs need to go ancient history in the future.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 03:20 AM
In reply to fanani
I think that is a great plot, it's interesting but it's just not an AC era for me!
It's nice to read about these times in alternate media but playing in these eras would be such different gameplay and ubi have said they won't do that period

Dome500
03-25-2014, 03:42 AM
Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Mazedonia at the time of Alexander the Great, pre-industrial China (I do not know that much about Chinese history, but that is why it's interesting), Colonial India (I know, also to close to the settings we get at the moment), earlier India, Middle Eastern setting (11th - 14th century), Hundred Years War in Europe, 30 Years War, English Civil War and Glorious Revolution (one of my favorites).

All settings they CAN visit, they don't have to.

Problem is a lot of historically important events happened between the 17th and 19th century, some in the 16th century as well of course, but we already had Ezio there (15th/16th century).
Ancient Cultures are always interesting, as well as the Crusades (which did not only happen in the Holy Land) (but that was partially covered by AC1, though I really wouldn't mind going back at the moment). Scramble for Africa could also be interesting (involving several revolutions as well, but rather small ones).

I don't know that much about SA, Asian or Australian history, don't know about many important events besides more modern history that involves European countries as well (China being invaded by Japan, India becoming a British colony, etc).

JustPlainQuirky
03-25-2014, 03:48 AM
I don't care about anything as long as the game is fun

ze_topazio
03-25-2014, 03:56 AM
Morocco in the late XVI century, I want to kill king Sebastião of Portugal, and the other two Moroccan sultans too since the three of them died like fodders in that battle, how cool would be to jump in the middle of a battle and assassinate three different kings, and of course Morocco is a wonderful country with wonderful cities.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 03:59 AM
I'm not saying the games won't be fun but the repeated era seems to getting everyone down! I think most people want a diversity of equipment, people and thinking! I don't know much about France in the time of the revolution but I always found it fascinating when the story tied in with religion! Very excited to see what's in offer

Whilst loads of the suggested times are great, a good AC should have fun vertical cities! The American revolution was another interesting period but was dead boring because I felt like I had to run through the streets rather than scale buildings

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 04:01 AM
My knowledge of Morocco is limited, but I know that it has a vast history and good cities

DumbGamerTag94
03-25-2014, 05:18 AM
Here is my wish list. In no particular order, and I don't care which ones they do when, but I want these all covered at some point.

-Greece, Egypt, Persia, India during the time of Alexander the Great's campaign across the region. (very long ago)

-Roman Empire (time of Julius Caesar and the Civil War after his death) (Not sure of date but it was ancient times.)

-India (Either during the time of the Mughal Empire vs. Maratha Confederacy, or during British Colonial period) 17-1800s

-Africa during the Zulu Wars or in the Congo under the Belgians in the (1800s)

-China during Mongol invasions, or Civil Wars of Sun Tzu's time (not sure of dates, but I know its no guns)
or During Either the Opium Wars or Boxer Rebellion(1830s-early1900s)
or Shao Jun's time (1500s)

-Napoleonic Wars mainly Europe but insight into conflict and tension on other continents like Asia or North America during the war of 1812 would be nice to show the scale of the Napoleonic conflicts(early 1800s)

-Russian Revolution or World War 1 (turn of the century-early 1900s) after all the war was started with an "assassination"

-Japan I wouldn't mind seeing a setting during feudal times (pre-1520ish)
but I would prefer the period when the samurai fell from power in the (1800s) its not covered in as many games, and it has the conflicting influences of western tech, money, military advisors, etc with ancient Japanese customs, architecture, and so on.

-U.S. Civil War lets face it slavery, cities, Big fancy plantation mansions, forests, historic figures out the wazoo, the underground railroad, brother vs. brother(can't trust anyone) it would be perfect for AC and could be an epic installment. personally I feel this would be done best as an Assassin that is an escaped slave(perhaps learn assassin skills while escaping north along the underground rail road) (1860s)

-South America explain why the Assassins of AC4 have strong roots with the Natives of Central and South America by experiencing the Mayan, Aztec, and Inca civilizations at the point of the arrival of European Conquistadors, and colonists. (1492-1600s)

-Britain During the English Civil War(1600s)
or during the Elizabethan Era or Henry the 8th's time during the Northern Renaissance(1500s)

-possibly a pre WW2 game(not the war itself just the build up so pre-1939) or maybe Cold War(1948-1991) but both of these are still just ideas I'm toying with and haven't decided if they truly belong in AC or not just including them on the list as a bonus thought not as a serious entry (thus why they aren't bolded)

That is my definitive list of settings that I would love to see, diverse, wide range of periods Ancient to modern, different dynamics in some from war to peace settings etc., covers most of the world, swords to guns. If AC ended after covering all of these settings/and or time periods I would be fully content.

Rugterwyper32
03-25-2014, 05:31 AM
I wouldn't mind more Europe, but I'd certainly prefer some pre-18th century stuff. Though a few other non-Europe locations have also crossed my mind.

As of right now, my most desired locations are:

1. The Iberian Peninsula during the Reconquista, during the times of Almanzor (pre 11th century)
2. Central Europe mixing the Thirty Years' War with the Dutch Revolt.
3. Guatemala and part of Mexico during the early 17th century, seeing the Itza push back the Spanish attempts at invading them.
4. China during the 13th century, mixing in Marco Polo's travels. It would be a good way to mix our relatively unknowing perspective of these places into the game, as the sense of wonder could be seen there.
5. The Golden Age of the First Bulgarian Empire (read about it pretty recently and it'd make for one hell of a pre-11th century location I can assure you)

DumbGamerTag94
03-25-2014, 05:36 AM
1. The Iberian Peninsula during the Reconquista, during the times of Almanzor (pre 11th century)

Oooooh I forgot this one. consider that added to my wish list, that would be a really cool setting. I'm all for the Reconquista.

Consus_E
03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
At this point I really want to move backwards in time, I enjoyed the 18th century but now I think the AC franchise should move on. I hope that Assassin's Creed: Unity is as modern as AC gets

A few locations and time periods I'd like to see
India: Any time period will do. India has a rich and diverse history which I would love for AC to explore. Though I would rather avoid the British Raj do to AC: Brahman already having been set during that time period.
China: I really want to see Ubisoft tackle an East Asian setting at some point and I think a game set in China would be ideal for this. I want Ubi to tell the story of Shao Jun and her rebuilding the Chinese Assassin order. Or possibly the Three Kingdoms period.
England I would love to see another medieval AC game, I think England would be the perfect setting for it. I think around the time of the Second Baron's War would be perfect for a Robin Hood style AC game.

andrew_m50
03-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Here is my wish list. In no particular order, and I don't care which ones they do when, but I want these all covered at some point.

-Greece, Egypt, Persia, India during the time of Alexander the Great's campaign across the region. (very long ago)
-Napoleonic Wars mainly Europe but insight into conflict and tension on other continents like Asia or North America during the war of 1812 would be nice to show the scale of the Napoleonic conflicts(early 1800s)

I'm sure we will get Egypt soon (next year or after that maybe). We have already seen a pyramid in game and this is the proof that they have already created a kind of a base of an egyiptian AC game. And if we add that there's is the half-ready Osiris project which also looks like a real AC game, then I think the setting is only a matter of time.

Napoleonic wars may appear in Assassin's Creed Unity...and an other connenction to Egypt. :)

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 01:13 PM
I think that assassins creed often have a tendency to surprise us and go somewhere they want to go! In a way I am glad that they surprise us because as long as the setting is fun and new then the game is enjoyable! I just want to go back in time for a while after this years installment

xecqtor
03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
yes

i also want some older stuff, or just a little new stuff
modern day, or much older days

the problem is weapons in modern day, the hidden blade would be LP

i hope they do modern or old like egypt alexandria after Unity

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 02:18 PM
The modern day has lost me now, if they are milking anything it's the modern stuff.
I am in the majority, however I was a Desmond fan, I think they went about that all wrong especially in revelations!
I'm hated the modern stuff in 4 but I did it because I'm an AC geek and a conpletitonistist!
I would love to go to Egypt, however I think a location like that would come towards the end of the series!

xecqtor
03-25-2014, 02:28 PM
i know but it would be a difference to what we are currently having 15-18th century

its very similar

AC 1 was oriental and really different, but i could see some japan or egypt, that would be refreshing

and i liked desmond also but i can understand that they want to finish him
maybe in future we will see his return, would be nice :D

andrew_m50
03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
maybe in future we will see his return, would be nice :D
With the help of a Piece of Eden called the Ankh, they can resurrect him. ;)
Assassins just have to find it...and in order to do that, they have to go to...Egypt. :)

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 02:55 PM
As much as I would love a return of Desmond I do doubt it! I really think that they could make some really fun parkour 3rd person missions! Almost like missions from thief or other recent modern stealth games! I hate being 'me' in the modern story I like having someone to have an opinion on and relate to! I jus don't think they will bring Desmond back which for me is disappointing!

I think Egypt would be a great location, I have no opinion of japan or china I just don't think we will visit there though!

Dome500
03-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I agree with the people saying modern day has to change and that I do not want to be "me" in modern day.

As for the settings, actually what would interest me the MOST would be:

- England during the Civil War+Glorious Revolution (17th century (1600s))
- China at any interesting time in history (not that experienced in Chinese history, but the culture is very interesting and fits the Assassin/Templar plot)
- India either pre-18th century or in British Colonial India

Those are my top ones. But hey, I'm always open for a surprise setting, as long as it is interesting.

oliacr
03-25-2014, 03:11 PM
We can stay in Europe just change the time period. In Europe we can go back to ancient era, or middle ages. Roman Empire, and many more just a few to mention England, Holy Roman Empire, France(not very likely again as Italy - Ottoman empire is the same, but I really want to see another there:))

As for the settings, actually what would interest me the MOST would be:

- England during the Civil War+Glorious Revolution (17th century (1600s))
- China at any interesting time in history (not that experienced in Chinese history, but the culture is very interesting and fits the Assassin/Templar plot)
- India either pre-18th century or in British Colonial India

Those are my top ones. But hey, I'm always open for a surprise setting, as long as it is interesting.
Agreed with some, and yes playing foreign cultures and history is very good. This is why I really want to see an Asian setting. It can be either China or Japan, maybe India - but the first 2 is better for me - no offense. We've seen Europe, America and Minor Asia but the Far East is unexplored for AC :)

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 03:23 PM
I don't know much about Asian settings but their history and culture does fit in well with assssins creed! I well imagine that in the ubi office they have a formula and if a location and period fits then they make the cut!
I would gladly explore more of Europe, the history and locations are so diverse but I don't think we should visit there anytime soon at all! Let's go somewhere completely unexpected!

I wouldn't even be annoyed if Desmond didn't return but I would like another modern protagonist, right now I feel like I'm going to how to kill Juno by hacking her and sending her a Trojan or some nonsense! The modern story was very much underwhelming this time round! I quite like being left shocked and in suspense like after 1+2 especially!

RoBg03
03-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Up to this point we've been somewhat constrained by having to go through the desmond line...while its possible that he somewhere along the line had asian ancestory, its somewhat of a stretch. now however, they've established that anyone can relive someone elses genetic memory...anyone who can use the animus that is..first civ blood? they haven't really stated why this is have they? did i miss something? desmonds dad couldn't use it right? but didn't shawn and rebecca say they could but there was nothing interesting in their pasts? anyway, with this change i see them pretty much opening the entire history of man to potential games. personally i'm salivating for a game in ancient rome. it just seems like such a no-brainer, with all the politics, violence, great architechture and of course, assassinations. i figured they wouldn't go there this time with Ryse, son of rome also out this year, but hopefully in the next few years. can you imagine fighting in the colloseum, with 50,000 ppl in attendance on the new gen consoles?

oliacr
03-25-2014, 03:37 PM
I would gladly explore more of Europe, the history and locations are so diverse but I don't think we should visit there anytime soon at all! Let's go somewhere completely unexpected!
I'd rather go to Feudal Japan, China or anything in the middle ages than this 18th century.... It's getting boring. AC1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations 4 middle ages games. AC3, IV, Liberation, Unity(if I count freedom cry then it is five.) So I really hope so after Unity we go to another time period and hopefully not forth but back. I really don't want to see 19th and 20th century.

personally i'm salivating for a game in ancient rome. it just seems like such a no-brainer, with all the politics, violence, great architechture and of course, assassinations. i figured they wouldn't go there this time with Ryse, son of rome also out this year, but hopefully in the next few years. can you imagine fighting in the colloseum, with 50,000 ppl in attendance on the new gen consoles?
Very unlikely because of Brotherhood. Ancient Rome is a good setting too... again. Far better than French Revolution but nevermind maybe I will fall in love with the French Revolution in Unity.
Ancient Rome- It don't have to be only one city Rome you know you have the full empire. Perhaps with more cities with unique cultures. Carthage, Rome, Gaul, Greece and many more.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 03:39 PM
I would personally love Ancient Rome but we have been to Renaissance Rome with ezio! However Ancient Rome or Greece would be great!
It just feels like AC4 was a reboot for the modern stuff, however we still have stories from Desmond, while I want there to be some connection to old titles in the modern story it's going to be hard to keep going back to a dead Desmond when they already have his DNA :/
I admit they have opened up the possibility to go anywhere but it literally annoys me playing the modern stuff now, I know it's only one game in but it doesn't feel mysterious and full of conspiracy to me anymore! I always thought that the modern stuff in AC1 was so good, how being left in 2 rooms left you so curious and excited!

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Yes I don't want to go any further forward in time, I saw loads of people trying to suggest how a ww1/2 game would work but AC had never been a true stealth game at heart, it would completely change the feel and if it was realistic we would end up dying pretty much every mission

oliacr
03-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Yes I don't want to go any further forward in time, I saw loads of people trying to suggest how a ww1/2 game would work but AC had never been a true stealth game at heart, it would completely change the feel and if it was realistic we would end up dying pretty much every mission
Assassin's Creed in World War? Hell no.

dxsxhxcx
03-25-2014, 03:45 PM
I think too much thinking would need to be involved in making a game before Al Mualim's time (and we all know Ubisoft doesn't have time for that), all the Assassins branches we saw until now in a way or another used AC1's Order as guideline, what makes a lot easier for them to write the story, a game before Al Mualim's time wouldn't be able to (fully) take advantage of that, and if all they'll do is copy and paste the "same" Order (based on Al Mualim's Order) in an ancient setting then IMO they shouldn't even bother in make a game before AC1.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 03:55 PM
I think that if they were to make a pre Altair assassin they would more heavily involve TWCB and the poe! I'm sure that the could make a good story about it but it would definitely have a different feel to as an initial order wouldn't have been set up yet!

DumbGamerTag94
03-25-2014, 04:54 PM

You just pointed out the quintessential problem. The whole reason that AC is not a "true" stealth based game is precisely because it is nearly impossible for your character to die(unless you're terrible at the game). Many people do not realize exactly how much stealth there is to take advantage of in the AC series because the combat is so freaking easy! one man with a tomahawk just runs in and takes out 10 soldiers with swords, muskets, and pistols? come on really? It is pointless as it stands to blend in at all when not in a main mission because you can so easily fight off any attackers and quickly remove notoriety. I hate desyncronization by being detected(this is the only way they force players to use any stealth at all) it in all truth is the main reason I desynchronize not death....why cant it just be that if I'm detected my enemies are actually able to kill me instead of me being an invincible super human who can be stabbed and shot 100000 times and live.

Its people making statements like that, which have made AC seem to not really be a stealth game at all but just a hack and slash RPG. Enemies should be able to kill you more realistically(not saying instant death with one shot, but is 3 shots and dead to much to ask for?) and this applies for all time periods including before guns you shouldn't be able to take on 20 guards with swords and axes by yourself without having to run away or die.

And by just saying you would die every mission proves my point that guns don't remove the need for stealth it increases it by a lot.

UKassassinsfan
03-25-2014, 05:04 PM
No I agree with your point, I wish that the missions and games were made to force players to avoid combat but assssins creed has always made the hack and slash option available! The only time I ever desynchronise is when I am detected but the game is still ridiculously easy, there are options for stealth but why use them I can just choose a path and basically walk through a mission with maybe one or two kills? I absolutely love the missions where you aren't detected at all and you can't be, all of a sudden you change your style, you need to plan etc
However it's not just the stealth that is easy, it took me 4 days to get 100% on ac4 it's just so easy, the AI are stupid, you are op and can take damage forever! For a game that prides itself on realism, the gameplay is far from it

Dome500
03-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Assassin's Creed in World War? Hell no.

Guys, there will NEVER be an Assassins Creed game in a World War.

AC in World War =/= AC during a World War.
Assassins Creed always plays in Cities.

Which basically means AC will NEVER see Gatling guns, tanks, any form of heavy infantry or artillery or anything else that has to do with a modern war.
All an AC game in the more modern times will have are semi-automatic weapons and police forces. MAYBE some stationary military units with light weapons. That's about all.

That being said I agree we should go further in the past. There are just SO MANY settings you can still make a game in.

DumbGamerTag94
03-25-2014, 06:06 PM
No I agree with your point, I wish that the missions and games were made to force players to avoid combat but assssins creed has always made the hack and slash option available! The only time I ever desynchronise is when I am detected but the game is still ridiculously easy, there are options for stealth but why use them I can just choose a path and basically walk through a mission with maybe one or two kills? I absolutely love the missions where you aren't detected at all and you can't be, all of a sudden you change your style, you need to plan etc
However it's not just the stealth that is easy, it took me 4 days to get 100% on ac4 it's just so easy, the AI are stupid, you are op and can take damage forever! For a game that prides itself on realism, the gameplay is far from it
I'm glad you agree on the ridiculous easiness of these games. And how it takes away incentive to use stealth. But to correct one you would still have a hack and slash option in a modern AC with guns (at least a pre 1920 setting anyway) I outline this in depth in a post on page 8 of the "AC Comet Russia: Confirmed!?" Thread if you want to see my full argument on how the period could work I would suggest you read it or go through my posts on my profile till you find it. Not sayin we need guns in the next AC just that it would work for a future installment in the series. We need an older period next before we go forward again. But from how I've thought of it I don't see guns(specifically pre 1920 guns) ruining the AC experience. It could enhance it IMO

DumbGamerTag94
03-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Guys, there will NEVER be an Assassins Creed game in a World War.

AC in World War =/= AC during a World War.
Assassins Creed always plays in Cities.

Which basically means AC will NEVER see Gatling guns, tanks, any form of heavy infantry or artillery or anything else that has to do with a modern war.
All an AC game in the more modern times will have are semi-automatic weapons and police forces. MAYBE some stationary military units with light weapons. That's about all.

That being said I agree we should go further in the past. There are just SO MANY settings you can still make a game in.

I agree with all this. Only I would hope if we get WW1 in a game we at least get one or two missions in the trenches just to experience the chaos and get a feel for the time. But yes over 85-90% of AC needs to stay behind the front lines in cities. Agreed