PDA

View Full Version : Better performence for assassin's creed 4/freedom cry tips?

ATLEAGLE579
03-24-2014, 06:11 AM
I just got assassin's creed freedom cry and i was wandering if there was a way to get better performence since i heard this and assassin's creed 4 are unoptimized on PC. the game defaulted at high settings but that was too much for my computer. in the end i found 1024x768 and pretty much low settings with motion blur on and textures on normal to be the best balence between performence and how the game looked. however i know my computer should run this game alot better than what its doing. i have an ASUS laptop with an overclocked AMD A8 4500m APU(quad core CPU at 2.3ghz when gaming, GPU is 7640g DX11 shader model 5.0 at 1150mhz), windows 8.1 64 bit, 6GB of ram and i defragmented my hard drive last week. it has ran games like metro last light and crysis 3 at much better settings and at 720p no problem unlike AC freedom cry. while the game for me anyway is not unplayable i was wandering if there were any ways to get a bit better performence. also i forgot to say my drivers are all up to date, all extra programs are closed and vsync is off.

YazX_
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM
nope, game is poorly optimized for PC and plus laptop video cards are not supported even if they might work.

frodrigues55
03-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Try reducing the motion blur, the shadows and the God rays, that usually helps.

Also, it seems the game has a lot of problem with V-Sync. Take a look around, there are tips on how to enable V-Sync through other softwares like D3DOverrider or your own videocard panel.

AherasSTRG
03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Try reducing the motion blur, the shadows and the God rays, that usually helps.

Also, it seems the game has a lot of problem with V-Sync. Take a look around, there are tips on how to enable V-Sync through other softwares like D3DOverrider or your own videocard panel.

Motion Blur has very little performance cost. I recommend starting from lowering the environment quality, which is the most resource hungry setting in this game. There is no reason to have God Rays set on high and you could disable Volumetric Fog as well, it sucks and disabling it gives a couple of frames more. However, from the moment you hit 30 fps, every change you make in the game's settings will have a much reduced effect on your framerate. Generally speaking, this game just WANTS to be played at 30 fps. No amount of tweaking can give you good results for more than 30 frames per second. There is not even tripple buffering in the game (Ubisoft should be ashamed for something like that), so you might want to download D3DOverrider as Frod suggests.

samtroy6
03-24-2014, 03:54 PM
OK, here's the absolutely BEST tip for much better performance:

- Start the game, load your savegame
- Press Windows-Key + L
- Go back into Windows and start Task Manager
- On the Processes Tab right-click the AC4 task (ac4sp.exe or so) and choose "Set Affinity"
- Uncheck 1 CPU core and click OK (important!)
- Open "Set Affinity" again and *re-check* the unchecked CPU core and click OK again
- Go back to the game (click on task bar)

AC4 has a massive problem with more than 3 CPU cores. It always uses one core 100% and the others 20% or so. This introduces stuttering and slowdowns in the game. When unchecking and rechecking one CPU core this problem completely disappears, I don't know why! The game runs much smoother and all cores are used correctly, just try it! This has to be done on every new game start.

I hope Ubisoft fixes this annoying bug with a patch soon.

Digital-Suicide
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
AC4 has a massive problem with more than 3 CPU cores. This introduces stuttering and slowdowns in the game.

This is strange i haven't had no problems in regards stuttering and or slowdowns both games have been running smooth for me, I have seen this same kind of post on other games forums as well and i just don't understand why this affects so many people but NOT others.

Mr_Shade
03-25-2014, 12:40 PM
PC's can be very very different from each other - even with basically the same hardware - can be affected by different software installed on the system - or even bios.

Laptops add another layer - since they not only have much lower hardware - even for the same series GPU - it's normally lower than the desktop - but also power saving modes and other things, which further affect games - which is why they are not recommended for the game.