PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Glitches and Broken Replays rear their ugly heads again, oh no

morrillo
03-23-2014, 08:04 PM
[ Sorry to post about this again, but I absolutely believe this deserves it's own thread (for discussion) and have found more reports since mentioning it earlier. This is intended not to report the problem (otherwise I would post it (again) in the support section), but for people to discuss it (hence General Discussion section) ]

There are now more than one report of both Tyre Glitches and Broken Replays in the Fusion Beta (yes, I know full well what Beta means).

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/862939-First-impressions?p=9883257&viewfull=1#post9883257

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/862939-First-impressions?p=9880573&viewfull=1#post9880573

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863076-Glitched-Replays

to name three separate reports.

I am dismayed but not overly surprised to see these...and given the amount of times these two issues were reported and berated in Evo and HD I am not expecting these to be fixed between now and the game going gold.

In a game where leaderboards/'lap times' are at the center of much of what makes it special and gives it longevity, these are two issues that seem rather important to me.

Your thoughts?

JoeRegular
03-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Honestly I had no expectations of these being fixed. I know Anba didn't like my 'revamped' comment but this is what I was referring to. The game has not been built from the ground up, while it is not 'just a re-skin' it does appear to share a vast amount of Evo's foundations. Some of those foundations needed some attention.

Broken replays should've been addressed, tyre glitches get confused with badly placed custom collisions a lot I feel.

Trying to reserve full judgement till I get hands on though.

xzamplez
03-23-2014, 09:49 PM
My thoughts? They don't care about the impact these glitches have on the game. Proof? Trials Fusion.

They will most likely use the "beta" excuse, then the game will release, and the glitches will still be there.

Vantier
03-24-2014, 05:21 AM
While i cant comment on tire glitches because their could be a million causes.

The replays arent video files, from I what can tell they are just playbacks of your inputs. So either you inputs aren't being recorded correctly OR a very small "glitch" occured during your run that although seemingly unnoticable to you at the time, when it plays back your inputs exactly as you input them, the same "glitch" doesnt occur, and thus the replay falls out of sync AKA glitches.

The fact that replays exist at all is a miracle and i dont think this is a problem that can ever be fixed, and i dont fault redlynx for it

In the future i would try to refrain from being so negative with your posts guys, if i was in redlynx position i wouldnt even bother responding to these posts.

xzamplez
03-24-2014, 10:20 AM
While i cant comment on tire glitches because their could be a million causes.

The replays arent video files, from I what can tell they are just playbacks of your inputs. So either you inputs aren't being recorded correctly OR a very small "glitch" occured during your run that although seemingly unnoticable to you at the time, when it plays back your inputs exactly as you input them, the same "glitch" doesnt occur, and thus the replay falls out of sync AKA glitches.

The fact that replays exist at all is a miracle and i dont think this is a problem that can ever be fixed, and i dont fault redlynx for it

In the future i would try to refrain from being so negative with your posts guys, if i was in redlynx position i wouldnt even bother responding to these posts.That has never happened before, so you're simply speculating. As soon as a replay falls out of sync, the rider crashes. This is a tire glitch.

It's not a miracle at all. If games like Halo can have a perfectly functioning replay system, so should Trials. We should be frustrated, because tire glitches/collision issues has made a huge impact on competitive Trials (like End Of Assembly losing TWC because of the infamous wooden ramp on Fishy Business), so to see that it's still here shows a complete lack of care.

They'd rather sugarcoat a partially broken game with FMX and challenges, rather than fixing its problems.

TeriXeri
03-24-2014, 10:38 AM
A big thing I noticed in fusion is that the wheels are often sunken in objects/terrain, moreso then evo, not sure if its bad collisions or terrain mods.

Example locations:

- Start of Deep Freeze, you clearly notice the bike start is actually inside the ground, and then gets repositioned at the start moment, and the first metal container/ramp thing, the bike really sinks into and it looks odd.
- 2nd white ramp at Turbine Terror that goes over the water pool (right after start), your bike sometimes seems to snag its wheels instead of rolling properly, it's highly inconsistent depending on speed and bike stance.
- Fallen tree logs, I had a wheel snag for no reason on a supposedly flat/angled log.

As far as replays, imo it's a fundamental part of Trials, if they don't function they just shouldn't be there at all, either they should work 100% or they have no point and I wasn't happy seeing that most replays I tried to watch to check better runs just are bailed rider shots and there is nothing positive about those as they aren't useful at all.

Fundamental gameplay of Trials games, is trials mode still, and big part of competition are leaderboards, top runs with broken replays to me seem just bland statistics instead of like watching a proper replay and think "wow, he really got some slick skills and creative way to navigate this obstacle/track faster then others".

IImayneII
03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
- 2nd white ramp at Turbine Terror that goes over the water pool (right after start), your bike sometimes seems to snag its wheels instead of rolling properly, it's highly inconsistent depending on speed and bike stance.

This is one of the most inconsistent ramps in all the tracks imo and I can't believe you are the first one complaining about it. I already recorded some footage I will upload when I have time to show how flawed that ramp is. I can't understand pro-speedrunners aren't complaining about this ramp to be honest, it's almost like hardly anybody noticed it...

magimix2000
03-24-2014, 03:00 PM
This is one of the most inconsistent ramps in all the tracks imo and I can't believe you are the first one complaining about it. I already recorded some footage I will upload when I have time to show how flawed that ramp is. I can't understand pro-speedrunners aren't complaining about this ramp to be honest, it's almost like hardly anybody noticed it...

Yeah, I've rarely run into the front-wheel issue myself (just lucky I guess; I know it is a real and long-standing issue). But the specific ramp you are talking about? Its so bad for it! I was happening quite regularly when I was going for the 'Unyielding' challenge.

morrillo
03-24-2014, 04:25 PM
The fact that replays exist at all is a miracle and i dont think this is a problem that can ever be fixed, and i dont fault redlynx for it The glitch is in a game made by RL, so they are the only ones who could fix it. If you don't fault RL for it, then who?

In the future i would try to refrain from being so negative with your posts guys, if i was in redlynx position i wouldnt even bother responding to these posts. Having spent countless hours with 1000+ posts on the RL forums, promoting their game and making hundreds of videos on YT, creating a database for them of over 2000 tracks since day one of Evo, I think that earns me the right to discuss and point out issues that have been there for 3 iterations of their amazing game.

Vantier
03-24-2014, 05:22 PM
That has never happened before, so you're simply speculating. As soon as a replay falls out of sync, the rider crashes. This is a tire glitch.

What are you even referring too here? I think we agree?

It's not a miracle at all. If games like Halo can have a perfectly functioning replay system, so should Trials.

Halo and Trials "replays" are COMPLETELY different.

1. Halo "replays" are actually video files (of a sort), so its impossible for them to "glitch".
2. Why doesnt redlynx do this then you might ask? Well notice that a halo "replay" can take up several megabytes per file, whereas im pretty sure trials replays take up no more then a megabyte (although i would estimate siginificantly less then that).

Notice that in halo you had limited storage (file share) for uploading these "replays"? Thats because it is not reasonable for them to just automatically record every game ever played and made available for the whole world to download, as trials does, Because storage and bandwidth requirements for something of that scale would be Outrageously expensive, which is why you have to pay to upgrade your fileshare in halo.

So Halo went the route of perfect accuracy but only letting you store 6 replays, before having to pay a yearly subscription, and even then i think it was only 24 max.
Redlynx decided to go with the all inclusive and free, but less than perfect solution you see now.

Im not arguing for one or the other, im just saying, to compare the 2 is rediculous and 100% accuracy is impossible with the current format redlynx has chosen. Thats not to say steps cant be taken to improve the current accuracy rate.

iStriide
03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
The glitch is in a game made by RL, so they are the only ones who could fix it. If you don't fault RL for it, then who?
Having spent countless hours with 1000+ posts on the RL forums, promoting their game and making hundreds of videos on YT, creating a database for them of over 2000 tracks since day one of Evo, I think that earns me the right to discuss and point out issues that have been there for 3 iterations of their amazing game.
Preach it my *****! lol. Come on with the censory. Can't even say nikka.

xzamplez
03-26-2014, 04:37 AM
Bumped. Are we going to go another two years without these flaws being addressed?

Vantier
03-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Bumped. Are we going to go another two years without these flaws being addressed?

no reason to bump a thread in a forum with only 9 other threads lol.
but anyways.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863787-Known-Issues-Read-this-first!
Later today they should fill that out with what they consider "known bugs", so if you dont see it there later today, then i assume it wont be fixed

A.Donkey.Rider
03-27-2014, 08:11 AM
i mos. def. have expected both glitches to appear in Fusion as well. why?

because first of all i am 100% sure some of the RL devs have worked on these glitches, least trying to reconstruct it! obviously in Fusion both glitches seem to appear and they started with THD. (Or Trials2???)
so my conclusion is, they worked on it, they most likley still do but i think it just can not be avoided due to the physics of the game or the graphics angine, or whatever can cause this.
this game is simply taken too serious by some ppl (no hard feelings or so guys^^) and they can't understnad that some games have some bugs, trials just has some annoying ones which are affecting the pro riders the most.
i'm not good enough to complain too much about it because when it appear on one of my runs, it wasn't a very good one anyway, so need to care about for me :D

guys consider, RL has Ubisoft on their back but they are still a "small" team and they might don't have the cash (what is important in this case i assume) like DICE, EA, Bungie or others have. even though i doubt they could fix this just with more cash to spend ;)

still looks forward to Evo and the new story is more important to me then a tyreglitch to get fixed asap.

ok, let go you hateposts :p

A.Donkey.Rider
03-27-2014, 08:16 AM
What are you even referring too here? I think we agree?

Halo and Trials "replays" are COMPLETELY different.

1. Halo "replays" are actually video files (of a sort), so its impossible for them to "glitch".
2. Why doesnt redlynx do this then you might ask? Well notice that a halo "replay" can take up several megabytes per file, whereas im pretty sure trials replays take up no more then a megabyte (although i would estimate siginificantly less then that).

Notice that in halo you had limited storage (file share) for uploading these "replays"? Thats because it is not reasonable for them to just automatically record every game ever played and made available for the whole world to download, as trials does, Because storage and bandwidth requirements for something of that scale would be Outrageously expensive, which is why you have to pay to upgrade your fileshare in halo.

So Halo went the route of perfect accuracy but only letting you store 6 replays, before having to pay a yearly subscription, and even then i think it was only 24 max.
Redlynx decided to go with the all inclusive and free, but less than perfect solution you see now.

Im not arguing for one or the other, im just saying, to compare the 2 is rediculous and 100% accuracy is impossible with the current format redlynx has chosen. Thats not to say steps cant be taken to improve the current accuracy rate.

that's some very good point man! :)

yeah, double post...

TeriXeri
03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
I just played some pc beta again and the front wheel slowdowns are happening a lot especially on the roach, it either sinks into objects after a jump or even on flat angled surfaces, its as if it's not "flat" at all, it bumps around even on slow speed and in reverse (on track Cliffhanger, the white angled plates)

Of course it's fun to ride on the backwheel a lot but the front wheel seems to penalize speed/stability a lot more then evo ever did, especially on bumpy rock inclines but also on angled flat plates. I have had a lot less issues on large curved ramps like Fusion Factory.

Sometimes it looks like the wheel isn't centered properly, or the suspension is too soft.

A.Donkey.Rider
04-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I just played some pc beta again and the front wheel slowdowns are happening a lot especially on the roach, it either sinks into objects after a jump or even on flat angled surfaces, its as if it's not "flat" at all, it bumps around even on slow speed and in reverse (on track Cliffhanger, the white angled plates)

Of course it's fun to ride on the backwheel a lot but the front wheel seems to penalize speed/stability a lot more then evo ever did, especially on bumpy rock inclines but also on angled flat plates. I have had a lot less issues on large curved ramps like Fusion Factory.

Sometimes it looks like the wheel isn't centered properly, or the suspension is too soft.

this def. sounds annoying :-O i wonder if this happens on the consoles as well :confused: whos makin Fusion for PC? Ubisoft Shanghai again?? :D

Xhane
04-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Devs are definitely looking into this. This is in the Know Issues list and we'll update it as soon as we can. http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863787-Known-Issues-Read-this-first!

A.Donkey.Rider
04-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Devs are definitely looking into this. This is in the Know Issues list and we'll update it as soon as we can. http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863787-Known-Issues-Read-this-first!

that's good to hear :) is this issue currently on the consoles as well?