PDA

View Full Version : So why do some people dislike the naval mechanics in Assassin's Creed 3 and 4?

Dev_Anj
03-23-2014, 03:53 PM
So this is an interesting detail I have noted while reading several forums and comments. The naval system in Assassin's Creed 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 was praised by many reviewers, and many people like these systems. Yet, there is a considerable minority who don't like the naval system in either game and sometimes go as far as to call it the worst feature of these games. I know of some people who didn't buy Assassin's Creed 4 simply because of more focus on the naval system.

So can some people tell me why they disliked the naval systems in Assassin's Creed 3 and/or Assassin's Creed 4? Was it because of the tank controls? The battles getting repetitive after a while? Sailing through oceans being rather uneventful? Or something else?

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 03:59 PM
It's not the reason why people played Assassin's Creed in the first place, so when you add something that is so different from the core, there will probably be a bunch of people who won't enjoy it.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-23-2014, 04:05 PM
It is a completly different gameplay style, what's more to say? Just as some people don't like 3rd person free-running, some people don't like flight simulators or naval.

mikeyf1999
03-23-2014, 05:20 PM
You do realize that even when reviewers say something is good not everybody has that same sentiment
I hated naval in ac3 it felt like no relevance and there was no specific reason to do the naval missions
Meanwhile I loved the naval in ac4 it felt more polished and beautiful
Never take reviewers seriously you need to know that everyone's going to have a different opinion

JustPlainQuirky
03-23-2014, 07:16 PM
I used to hate the naval battles.

But after upgrading my ship and tearing everything down left and right, i began to love them.

Templar_Az
03-23-2014, 07:30 PM
I loved the naval but I think the reason why some people dont like it is because it has nothing to do with being an Assassin; especially in Black Flag where a big part of the game is spending time on your ship and doing battles.

Mr.GoodKall
03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
because their idiots. No one is forcing you to buy a game if you don't like it

oliacr
03-23-2014, 07:34 PM
They are too ignorant.

Mr_Shade
03-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Can we please try not posting insults - and discuss the reasons rather than 'they are idiots'…

If you don't have anything new to add, consider not posting ;)

Mr.GoodKall
03-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Can we please try not posting insults - and discuss the reasons rather than 'they are idiots'…

If you don't have anything new to add, consider not posting ;)

youre right. I apologize

Dome500
03-24-2014, 12:26 AM
I don't dislike them, I like them.
But having them for another game would be boring for me personally. That's all.

Also, I think some people didn't buy AC4 because it focused TOO MUCH on the naval system.
I also have to admit it got boring in the end, especially since it is not the core of and AC game normally.
That's where people started to feel more like a pirate and less than an Assassin (no, this is no complaint, just pointing something out here).

Was it nice for 2 (well, 1 and a half) games? Yes
Do I want it in the next 2 - 3 games as MAJOR part? Nope.

Locopells
03-24-2014, 02:17 AM
Well that was kinda the point - Edward was more pirate and less Assassin, at least at first. People just didn't take to it because it was so far from the norm, and some people can't take a limited change up to the status quo. I always compared it with special episode in TV series where they change genre - such as someone having a dream where everyone's in a 30s detective flick. You get the idea, fun for now, but not a permanent change - just go with it!

Megas_Doux
03-24-2014, 02:21 AM
I liked them AC III, absolutely LOVED them in AC IV, but no more of that any time soon though.

ace3001
03-24-2014, 05:52 AM
Is this a question that seriously needs to be asked? Not everyone likes the same things, you know. Some people who got into AC for its third person platforming gameplay may not necessarily like a part where you sail a ship.
I personally found it pretty weak in AC3, and AC3 is also the only AC game that I didn't get 100% sync on (not counting AC1, since that didn't have a total sync percentage) because I got tired of the naval missions very quickly. However, I loved how it was done in AC4, especially since it was a seamless experience in an open world instead of the isolated missions in AC3 and also had lot of variety in things to do.
So, yeah, some may like one or the other, some may like both, or some may not like either. It's all upto personal taste, not because people are "ignorant" or "idiots". In fact, thinking that way is the ignorant and idiotic thing.

shobhit7777777
03-24-2014, 07:11 AM
People dislike it on principle...IMO

On its own....its smashing good fun...however its an unexpected element in a game which is primarily concerned with hooded assassins playing silly buggers in old timey places.

Some people have certain expectations from the franchise...that it delivers on certain fronts....that it provides a certain experience. They want to have cheesecake.....but suddenly they get a cornetto...cornettos are fine, awesome even...but they wanted cheesecake!

Now in AC's case...you have over 5 games where the core elements have not really moved forward....the last SIGNIFICANT improvement/addition/evolution came with AC2...and the rest are just iterations of it.

So you have a bunch of disgruntled folks...they have seen game after game, none of which adding anything substantial to the core Assassin experience......and then lo and behold the developers drop a feature where you battle ships in a franchise where the core pillars and brand identity is a complete 180 from the ship warfare experience....which TBH is a lot of fun but isn't what they wanted.

The players are like - "You have time to do a ****ing ship combat simulator while completely ignoring the other core mechanics!...FFS this is an Assassin's Creed game!"

I hope that sheds light on things...mind you this my personal opinion....could be completely wrong.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-24-2014, 08:05 AM

On its own....its smashing good fun...however its an unexpected element in a game which is primarily concerned with hooded assassins playing silly buggers in old timey places.

Some people have certain expectations from the franchise...that it delivers on certain fronts....that it provides a certain experience. They want to have cheesecake.....but suddenly they get a cornetto...cornettos are fine, awesome even...but they wanted cheesecake!

Now in AC's case...you have over 5 games where the core elements have not really moved forward....the last SIGNIFICANT improvement/addition/evolution came with AC2...and the rest are just iterations of it.

So you have a bunch of disgruntled folks...they have seen game after game, none of which adding anything substantial to the core Assassin experience......and then lo and behold the developers drop a feature where you battle ships in a franchise where the core pillars and brand identity is a complete 180 from the ship warfare experience....which TBH is a lot of fun but isn't what they wanted.

The players are like - "You have time to do a ****ing ship combat simulator while completely ignoring the other core mechanics!...FFS this is an Assassin's Creed game!"

I hope that sheds light on things...mind you this my personal opinion....could be completely wrong.

Nope. Perfect analogy! 10/10

Calvarok
03-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Some people got into Assassin's Creed specifically for the Assassin stuff, and I can understand why they aren't thrilled about some of the broader historical action gameplay that's become common in the series.

AC1 and Liberation are the only games where it's ONLY about being an Assassin doing typical Assassin things in cities and ruins.

I think it would be great for Unity to be the one that really goes DEEP into that Assassin fantasy. I've loved Connor's struggle to learn his purpose on his own, and Edward's complete disregard for the conflict, and both of their adventures in ship-to-ship combat, but it's been a long time since a main game where there is simply a big established assassin order, several cities, a person trained since birth to kill, and a long list of Templars who need to be rooted out and gutted.

RinoTheBouncer
03-24-2014, 09:16 AM
I think it’s because everybody’s expecting the style of ACI to AC:R. Climbing buildings in large cities, hiding among crowds, tracking someone. I mean we do have all that in ACIII but the Naval part, especially in ACIV kinda made the whole Assassin thing so minor in addition to the story itself making Assassins and Templars and their ways take the backseat this time. It’s just a matter of gameplay style that psychologically makes fans “feel” they’re playing an AC game while in ACIII and ACIV just didn’t give them that vibe.

frodrigues55
03-24-2014, 11:30 AM

My thought exactly, you nailed it

Dome500
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM

This.

(On a side note: A similar reason also exists for modern day being not liked by some people for what it is in AC4.)

GrubbierSnow85
03-24-2014, 04:59 PM
I think the trick is not to upgrade the jackdaw fully in Black Flag. For better realism, just get elite hull and swivel guns, but stay with advanced mortars, connons and round shot. You can lure a pirate hunter and destroy it just by using fire barrels, and incorporate actual tactics, and use the weather etc., instead of being a floating fortress that just annhilates everything. Much more fun IMO. I don't know why people criticize the naval gameplay...

mrbooglesmiths
10-11-2017, 05:20 PM
I speculate the reason the sailing mechanic was disliked by some I would hope is the same reason I dislike it. It is simply unrealistic. I realize that Ubisoft had to create the sailing mechanic in such a way that would appeal and at the same time not be overly complicated or time consuming to the majority of players. That being said, anyone who has sailed a sloop knows that it is impossible to sail in any direction and they certainly do not turn on a dime when passing through irons. And that is saying nothing of a square rigger such as those found in the games Black Flag and Rogue, the latter of which I just purchased as it was the only title I did not own and needed something to get me through until Origin. In summation a sailboat is not a motor boat and the fact it controls like one in the game is just too much for me to ignore despite the fact I did enjoy Black Flag. After only a day of rogue I can say I will not be finishing it only for the above reason.I really like the idea of the naval system but perhaps like many flight sims an option could exist in game for realistic sailing controls or novice controls. This would of course greatly effect combat and even simply the conveyance from one location to another making both much more time consuming and likely boring to the average player. How much of AC's target market sail too? Who of the target market would enjoy spending hours in irons until they understood the basic principles of sailing? Few if any..