PDA

View Full Version : What does “Unity” in AC Unity stand for?

RinoTheBouncer
03-23-2014, 10:43 AM
So we know the next game is called AC Unity. But what does Unity refer to? Brotherhood referred to the Brotherhood of the Assassins, Revelations referred to the secrets that Ezio discovered in the end about Altair, about the truth behind so many things, and what we’ve learned about the end of the world and the Grand Temple, AC:Liberation was about liberating slaves, Black Flag is about Pirates, so what does Unity refer to? who is uniting with who? Assassins and Templars? we know that it’s set during the time of the French Revolution so what kind of unity are they referring to? is it in the historical or the modern day segment?

Maybe the game will set the stage for the sequel which will have modern day Templars uniting against Juno? (I wish!) or is it some historical event?

I wasn’t so keen on seeing any setting between 1400 to 1900, let alone a European/French setting, but the title “Unity” really got me hoping for something big and unexpected like unity between Assassins and Templars. Maybe this game will end in Assassins and Templars putting aside their conflicts for a while and start a truce to beat Juno first and save the world in the game that follows and then perhaps finish this story and AC7 for example starts something completely new.

What do you think?

lothario-da-be
03-23-2014, 10:46 AM
I think it means the Templars and Assassin's will unite, or at least try. Or maybe it has something to do with modern day. We will see, its too early too guess, I guess.

andrew_m50
03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
I think it means the Templars and Assassin's will unite, or at least try. Or maybe it has something to do with modern day.
Yes, it's about modern day storyline and the need of the cooperation between assassins and templars in order the defeat Juno.
The proof is in the graphic novel Assassin's Creed Brahman.
Little spoiler ahead about the plot of Brahman (the proof):

"The member of the First Civilization then speaks through time and turns to Jot to tell him that the Templars and Assassins must stay of the same heart and unite to defeat Juno."

Hans684
03-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes, it's about modern day storyline and the need of the cooperation between assassins and templars in order the defeat Juno.
The proof is in the graphic novel Assassin's Creed Brahman.
Little spoiler ahead about the plot of Brahman (the proof):

"The member of the First Civilization then speaks through time and turns to Jot to tell him that the Templars and Assassins must stay of the same heart and unite to defeat Juno."

And the key word from Brahman is Unite. Most likely meaning that it's meant for modern day. But the story of MD and the historical part sometimes is parallel. So maybe both.

Skelface
03-23-2014, 11:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ioNuriw.jpg

Unity, Indivisibility of the Republic
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity or Death

RinoTheBouncer
03-24-2014, 09:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ioNuriw.jpg

Unity, Indivisibility of the Republic
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity or Death

I’ll be extremely disappointed if it’s just about this. I’d rather have something about the modern day story, the bigger picture, I mean. But thanks for informing us about this :)

Calvarok
03-24-2014, 09:32 AM
The cut in the Unity Assassin logo is obviously meant to reference the Guillotine. But going off that: doe this mean that the Guillotine is going to be a dividing point? Is it going to separate Assassins and Templars from people they once trusted? Will this be a controversy that brings a different kind of Unity, between the Templars and Assassins who want order against the Templars and Assassins who feed the mobs?

And which side will Arno be on? Who will his targets be? Templars... and Assassins too?

On the modern side, it's a bit easier to guess. Juno is a threat both the Templars and Assassins know of now. The Assassins learned in AC3, and the Templars learned in Black Flag. Juno is either ready or nearly ready to begin taking a body or bodies of her own. She is in the lifeblood of our modern world, and she is learning everything there is to know about us.

Not too far-fetched to imagine differences might be put aside. But I wonder, will we get to play a more active part in this? Might we get to customize a character and finally see ourselves as The Absergo Hacker? Or will we be introduced to a totally new modern protagonist?

I'm hoping for the latter. I came to like the Hacker, even if their personality was pretty much just implied by me. But I would be fine with them simply being an anonymous employee who could be anyone. Maybe referenced in future games as an inside source. I think there were problems with Desmond as he was defined that simply didn't make him a good choice for an Assassin main character. He was always better as a wry observer, a portal. After my hopes for a new modern Assassin, I'd most of all love to see that Desmond picked up some of Subject 16's party tricks.

Calvarok
03-24-2014, 09:34 AM
I’ll be extremely disappointed if it’s just about this. I’d rather have something about the modern day story, the bigger picture, I mean. But thanks for informing us about this :)
Hey, Unity can be in reference to BOTH that and larger implications. Just like Brotherhood works on multiple levels, and the modern part of Black Flag was about hackers, the modern version of pirates.

Hey.. maybe if Unity is about a classical Assassin who was born to the Brotherhood, the modern story will be about a similar modern Assassin? They certainly seem to be harkening back to AC1 with what they've released, and Ubisoft has openly admitted that "AC1 was the only pure Assassin game"

frodrigues55
03-24-2014, 11:27 AM

I wouldn't expect anything big for modern day. Darby already said they won't foces on that anymore, so the best is to forget about it otherwise you will be always disappointed.

Interesting thread, though. I'm leaning to believe it's something to do with the rumors about Co-Op, but who knows at this point. AC has a lot of hidden meanings and the Assassin Logo being cut could mean the brotherhood itselft is divided? I was expecting to see a strong Order for this game, but we'll see how it happens.

itsamea-mario
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
I'll tell you what Unity means, Unity means: 'A cheesy tagline that Ubisoft's marketting department will whack onto every trailer in an attempt to create trends on various social media'
#Unity
"hey go watch the new AC trailer #Unity"
"Just read that the new AC will feature arial combat #Unity"
"can't wait for the new @Assassin'sCreed game #Unity"
-@Escoblades

Locopells
03-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Where is Esco these days?! And please, no Co-Op. Or at least only as a separate storyline, à la SC:Conviction.

GrubbierSnow85
03-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Awesome. I, for one, am thrilled it's going to be set during the French Revolution - so many events, so many villains, and 18th century Paris will be amazing! Salons, opulent buildings, catacombs, the Bastille....even the costumes should be stunning. I can't wait.

Will_Lucky
03-24-2014, 04:58 PM
As I've said before, Bill Miles once mentioned the Assassins and Templars tried working together and I suspect this was the time. Both Assassins and Templars working together to destroy the French Monarchy, enemy of the Assassins for absolute rules, and enemy of the Templars for almost destroying them. Of course its going to go horribly wrong.

It might apply to both sides of the story, Assassins (Or Templars?) looking to what happened for inspiration and how to resolve problems so that they can try uniting to end the threat posed by Juno.

Dome500
03-24-2014, 05:45 PM
As I've said before, Bill Miles once mentioned the Assassins and Templars tried working together and I suspect this was the time

To be precise, Bill mentioned they OFTEN tried working together. He said there were many attempts but none of them worked. Just recently replayed the part where he tells you that.

RinoTheBouncer
03-24-2014, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't expect anything big for modern day. Darby already said they won't foces on that anymore, so the best is to forget about it otherwise you will be always disappointed.

Interesting thread, though. I'm leaning to believe it's something to do with the rumors about Co-Op, but who knows at this point. AC has a lot of hidden meanings and the Assassin Logo being cut could mean the brotherhood itselft is divided? I was expecting to see a strong Order for this game, but we'll see how it happens.

Yeah, it’s so sad they’re trying to ditch a pivotal segment of the game in favor of cheap self contained stories. I hope they change their minds and I’m glad that Darby isn’t part of the new game.

I’m interested about what you said regarding the Brotherhood itself being divided. I wonder if this is leading to The Great Purge (which would happen later). The brotherhood being divided, the Templar’s getting the upper hand. And perhaps in modern day we’ll see some sort of Unity, at least a temporary one.

Hey, Unity can be in reference to BOTH that and larger implications. Just like Brotherhood works on multiple levels, and the modern part of Black Flag was about hackers, the modern version of pirates.

Hey.. maybe if Unity is about a classical Assassin who was born to the Brotherhood, the modern story will be about a similar modern Assassin? They certainly seem to be harkening back to AC1 with what they've released, and Ubisoft has openly admitted that "AC1 was the only pure Assassin game"

I agree with you. It could be a title for both sides. It’s a cool way to look at ACIV like that too Hacking/Piracy = Actual Pirates..etc. I really hope they give us a real and a pure AC game. I’m tired of the assassins being some sort of an idea rather than a creed. Since ACIII and Assassins have been some sort of a secondary thing.

Assassin_M
03-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Unity between Assassins and Templars against Juno...

RinoTheBouncer
03-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Unity between Assassins and Templars against Juno...
I’d love this to actually happen. Btw, I miss you loads, man!

Mr.GoodKall
03-24-2014, 06:09 PM
I think its to Unite the 2 AC games. They are both France related and connected. Heres why I think that in another thread.......

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863722-Pretty-sure-AC-Comet-is-also-in-France

Assassin_M
03-24-2014, 06:10 PM
I’d love this to actually happen. Btw, I miss you loads, man!
Yeah me too and it really irks me when I see people saying "oh the Templars will team up with Juno" as if the Templar are like "oh, you want to control people?? so like us? bro for life"

Thanks, man..i miss you too, sorry I haven't been on my FB for some time

RinoTheBouncer
03-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah me too and it really irks me when I see people saying "oh the Templars will team up with Juno" as if the Templar are like "oh, you want to control people?? so like us? bro for life"

Thanks, man..i miss you too, sorry I haven't been on my FB for some time

Yeah. I mean Juno does share the same ambition as the Templars but that doesn’t mean that they can coexist because each wants everything for themselves. Unless Ubisoft will do a stupid move and make the same thing every hollywood movie does where the “bad guys” team up with the “evil from another world”.

I notice you haven’t been online much, yeah. We gotta catch up. BroHood HUGs.