PDA

View Full Version : So is it safe to assume Ubisoft has officially ditched the beaked hood look?

xxtonypunk96xx
03-23-2014, 02:27 AM
At first I thought the reason Edward didn't have one was because at the time it made sense. He was a sort of rogue assassin and the fact he didn't have the traditional beaked hood reflected that. But when we played the game every single assassin we met had the same regular hood and I thought maybe it was just the assassins solely in the west-indies that did this. Now the Unity trailer releases and it clearly shows the new protagonist doesn't have a beaked hood either. Of course we know nothing about what he fights for or what his role is in the order, but it's looking to be Ubisoft has just actually ditched the beaked hood but why? Someone that has become so iconic to just do away with doesn't make sense. I hope it's at least explained in the story and not just something they wanted to subtly remove like they did in black flag.

rob.davies2014
03-23-2014, 02:35 AM
I don't mind so much, so long as they've got a hood which covers enough of their face.
The best thing Ubisoft could do would be to allow more customisation so the player could choose beaked hood/normal hood/no hood.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Not happy about it. It's what made the Assassin hood more unique among many other hooded video game protags. Now the suits look more plain :nonchalance:

Moultonborough
03-23-2014, 02:57 AM
Annoys me a little bit sure...is it the end of the world no. I was annoyed more by the fact that the hood was hardly used in AC4. Hopefully that is what I would like to see fixed in ACU. Not really the actual shape of it.

JustPlainQuirky
03-23-2014, 03:14 AM
Ubisoft better have an explanation for it.

Maybe it was only included in AC3 because it's located in 'Murica and it was fitting.

But srsly. I hate that the beak is gone. :mad:

xbeav3rx
03-23-2014, 03:40 AM
i like the beak look its the look of the assassin..

mikeyf1999
03-23-2014, 04:39 AM
They probably don't have beaks because the names aren't connected to eagles
For now

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-23-2014, 05:33 AM
They also seem to be abandoning the white and red robes.

AC1: Mostly white with red sash
AC2: White and red sash plus a bit more red detailing on the outfit such as the interior of the hood
ACB: White with red sash and a bit more red detailing. This would be the last time white/red would be the default...
ACR: Switched to Grayish Blue with red sash but retained the traditional white robes with red sash as a dye option ("Masyaf White").
AC3: White with blue detailing but still a red sash. Thankfully, white/red was still possible thanks to the Jamestown outfit (the undershirt was blue but you can barely see that during gameplay so it didn't bug me). This would be the last time white/red was truly an option in a main title. This would also be the last time beaked hoods would be a thing in the main games (even Achilles had a beaked hat)
>>>ACL: White/red robes make a return in the handheld and HD remake as does the beaked hood. This is the last time, period, that either are a true option. Even the default hat she wears has a beak though since those devs saw how it was iconic.
AC4: Outfit is white and blue with red sash like Connor's again. Beakless hood. The closest to having the traditional white/red color scheme is the Explorer outfit and that has so much brown and black leather on it that it barely looks much better (and you can only get it when Ubisoft decides to make a reward for completing a community challenge).
ACU: Back to bluish robes like ACR, no beak. Now we don't know if "Assassin White" will make a comeback but perhaps it will. Sadly, it seems that ACL's devs have been the coolest when it comes to customization. There aren't as many dyes but the fact that you can choose to have a hood or hat is a really cool step in the right direction. Combine that with the dyes of the Ezio trilogy and expanded even further... the customization would be awesome.

Here's hoping Ubi has taken any of our wishes into consideration when building ACU (doubtful) and upped not only stealth mechanics but also increased customization: beaked hoods, beakless hoods, no hoods, hats, different outfits, alter the colors of the outfits, etc.

Calvarok
03-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Considering the amount of effort Ubisoft usually puts into their costumes, I don't think a small detail like that is insignificant. For Edward, it represents the fact that he isn't a true assassin. For Arno, it may represent that he's stuck between the Templars and Assassins. Not like Connor was, where he briefly flirted with joining forces, but truly split down the middle.

The lack of white in his robes also seems to indicate a blending of common templar styles and colors with assassin garb, not to mention seeming to be in keeping with the whole nobleman theme Arno's outfit has going.

Colors will probably be extremely customizable in Unity, though. dark blue serves as a great neutral point, a color we've seen both devout Templars and Assassin Grandmasters wear.

EDIT: For those worrying, I doubt Arno will have his hood down as often as Edward. He seems like a conflicted character, from what his outfit design implies, but he also seems like a person very much grounded in the secret society aspect of the AC universe. He doesn't have the bearing of an outsider appropriating a uniform, he looks like he belongs. And as such I expect the hood to only come down in very private and vulnerable moments, and for him to be focused on the job most of the time.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Considering the amount of effort Ubisoft usually puts into their costumes, I don't think a small detail like that is insignificant. For Edward, it represents the fact that he isn't a true assassin. For Arno, it may represent that he's stuck between the Templars and Assassins. Not like Connor was, where he briefly flirted with joining forces, but truly split down the middle.

The lack of white in his robes also seems to indicate a blending of common templar styles and colors with assassin garb, not to mention seeming to be in keeping with the whole nobleman theme Arno's outfit has going.

Colors will probably be extremely customizable in Unity, though. dark blue serves as a great neutral point, a color we've seen both devout Templars and Assassin Grandmasters wear.

EDIT: For those worrying, I doubt Arno will have his hood down as often as Edward. He seems like a conflicted character, from what his outfit design implies, but he also seems like a person very much grounded in the secret society aspect of the AC universe. He doesn't have the bearing of an outsider appropriating a uniform, he looks like he belongs. And as such I expect the hood to only come down in very private and vulnerable moments, and for him to be focused on the job most of the time.

Hopefully... I wouldn't be shocked if there are only 3 different color variations of the outfit and none of them being a classic Assassin look. They did that in AC4 and it may seem silly to be upset over colors but I'm an aesthetic player. In RPGs, I NEVER wear the armor with the best stats. I go for the outfits I like best -- if they happen to have good or poor stats, then that's just how it is. If I find myself being dominated, I might switch to a stronger outfit for the duration of the fight and then switch back.

It's just how I am. So hopefully there are numerous color and outfit customizations...

souNdwAve89
03-23-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm half and half. The beak hood made sense for some characters like Altair and Ezio because their names are connected to eagles. Connor's hood is shaped more like a wolf in my eyes, which is related to his predator tracking skills. Edward doesn't have a beak hood since he is not an Assassin until very late into the game. I mean, there are other characters that have beak hoods even if their names aren't related to the eagle, of course. I'm glad that they are not going with the traditional white Assassin robe because there are some time periods or countries that it doesn't fit. I thought the art team did a fantastic job with Connor's and Edward's Assassin robes. It may not be white like Altair's, but the color variation is good enough to fit in their respective time period.

Calvarok
03-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Hopefully... I wouldn't be shocked if there are only 3 different color variations of the outfit and none of them being a classic Assassin look. They did that in AC4 and it may seem silly to be upset over colors but I'm an aesthetic player. In RPGs, I NEVER wear the armor with the best stats. I go for the outfits I like best -- if they happen to have good or poor stats, then that's just how it is. If I find myself being dominated, I might switch to a stronger outfit for the duration of the fight and then switch back.

It's just how I am. So hopefully there are numerous color and outfit customizations...
People working on AC at Ubisoft have said things about customization that lead me to believe there's going to be a lot of it.

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Ok, just for reference.

AC2: The only Assassin with the beak hood is Ezio. The only other Assassin we ever meet in the game with a hood is La Volpe, the hood is not beaked.
ACB: All the recruits don't have beaked hoods (the exception are those who get to top rank and get Ezio's attire). All other assassins don't have hoods at all (except, again, La Volpe, and later Claudia, but those are not beaked).
ACR: Bunch of recruits don't have beaked hoods. The Sentinel (who I presume is still wearing his Assassin attire) doesn't have beaked hood. Also Al Mualim doesn't have a beak in the attire he wears before the events of AC1 (there is a pointy thing, but it's not a beak like it was in AC1).
AC3: Miles (the Assassin we fight on the ship) is dressed up like a sailor (which makes sense since he was undercover).

So why are people acting like the beak-absence among the Assassins is a new thing?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
03-23-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm half and half. The beak hood made sense for some characters like Altair and Ezio because their names are connected to eagles. Connor's hood is shaped more like a wolf in my eyes, which is related to his predator tracking skills. Edward doesn't have a beak hood since he is not an Assassin until very late into the game. I mean, there are other characters that have beak hoods even if their names aren't related to the eagle, of course. I'm glad that they are not going with the traditional white Assassin robe because there are some time periods or countries that it doesn't fit. I thought the art team did a fantastic job with Connor's and Edward's Assassin robes. It may not be white like Altair's, but the color variation is good enough to fit in their respective time period.

I'm fine with a beaked hood and white/red robes not being default. I would just like the option of wearing them if I want to. That way, people who prefer a more grounded and realistic "one with the crowd" look can have that and others like me who really dig the classic look can wear that.

I know it makes almost zero sense to wear the white robes... the only game it truly made any sense was the first game. I just like seeing the Assassin robes adapted to look more like the current era. I liked the Renaissance takes and the colonial takes. I didn't mind the blue-gray robes of ACR or the white/blue robes of AC3 because I could change it.

People working on AC at Ubisoft have said things about customization that lead me to believe there's going to be a lot of it.

What are you referring to? I hope so.

Ok, just for reference.

AC2: The only Assassin with the beak hood is Ezio. The only other Assassin we ever meet in the game with a hood is La Volpe, the hood is not beaked.
ACB: All the recruits don't have beaked hoods (the exception are those who get to top rank and get Ezio's attire). All other assassins don't have hoods at all (except, again, La Volpe, and later Claudia, but those are not beaked).
ACR: Bunch of recruits don't have beaked hoods. The Sentinel (who I presume is still wearing his Assassin attire) doesn't have beaked hood. Also Al Mualim doesn't have a beak in the attire he wears before the events of AC1 (there is a pointy thing, but it's not a beak like it was in AC1).
AC3: Miles (the Assassin we fight on the ship) is dressed up like a sailor (which makes sense since he was undercover).

So why are people acting like the beak-absence among the Assassins is a new thing?

The point is that the protagonist, up until AC4, has always had the beak. Or some form of triangular thing at the top -- Connor's isn't really a beak in the same way Ezio and Altair's were but it was still the same concept and really, that's a god dang beak. Secondly, in AC3, Achilles' hat has a beak and so do his older robes.

Even Aveline who wears a hat, like Achilles, has a beaked front to it. AND... you could even purchase a beaked hood and wear that if you prefer.

It's literally only AC4 and now ACU wear the protagonist doesn't wear a beaked hood. Again, I don't mind having a non-white/red outfit by default or a beaked hood... I would just like the options to have them.

I really dig the white and red robes and the way they were altered to fit the time period even if it's unrealistic. I just want the option to have that. Same with the beaked hood. To me, it was more unique than other games where you can wear hoods.

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 10:37 AM
The point is that the protagonist, up until AC4, has always had the beak.

Yes, but the OP also states how every single Assassin in AC4 doesn't have a beaked hood, and that this somehow differs from the norm, yet it's not.

Dome500
03-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Basically I'd like to have a beaked hood, yes. But my hope is that there is an outfit in the final game that actually has a beaked hood.

They also seem to be abandoning the white and red robes.

AC1: Mostly white with red sash
AC2: White and red sash plus a bit more red detailing on the outfit such as the interior of the hood
ACB: White with red sash and a bit more red detailing. This would be the last time white/red would be the default...
ACR: Switched to Grayish Blue with red sash but retained the traditional white robes with red sash as a dye option ("Masyaf White").
AC3: White with blue detailing but still a red sash. Thankfully, white/red was still possible thanks to the Jamestown outfit (the undershirt was blue but you can barely see that during gameplay so it didn't bug me). This would be the last time white/red was truly an option in a main title. This would also be the last time beaked hoods would be a thing in the main games (even Achilles had a beaked hat)
>>>ACL: White/red robes make a return in the handheld and HD remake as does the beaked hood. This is the last time, period, that either are a true option. Even the default hat she wears has a beak though since those devs saw how it was iconic.
AC4: Outfit is white and blue with red sash like Connor's again. Beakless hood. The closest to having the traditional white/red color scheme is the Explorer outfit and that has so much brown and black leather on it that it barely looks much better (and you can only get it when Ubisoft decides to make a reward for completing a community challenge).
ACU: Back to bluish robes like ACR, no beak. Now we don't know if "Assassin White" will make a comeback but perhaps it will. Sadly, it seems that ACL's devs have been the coolest when it comes to customization. There aren't as many dyes but the fact that you can choose to have a hood or hat is a really cool step in the right direction. Combine that with the dyes of the Ezio trilogy and expanded even further... the customization would be awesome.

Here's hoping Ubi has taken any of our wishes into consideration when building ACU (doubtful) and upped not only stealth mechanics but also increased customization: beaked hoods, beakless hoods, no hoods, hats, different outfits, alter the colors of the outfits, etc.

This. That's my hope too. Combine the Outfit system with the dying system.

I hope that too.

I think the reason AC4s outfits were so different is that Edward was more of a Pirate than an Assassin for most of the game.
Here is hoping that changes with Arno and we get our multiple (5 - 8) outfits which we can all dye in different colors (colors that fit the time).
(But there HAS to be a black outfits. Black Outfits are badass. AC2 - AC4 all had them)

Locopells
03-23-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm with those that are more bugged by the color scheme change.

ACR made sense, since Ezio was in his mentor phase, that he would go for darker robes (plus he'd been traveling).

ACIII bugged me though, since I suspect the inclusion of blue was to make him Bluecoat friendly, and that Edward's robes was made blue as a consequence, in order to identify him with Connor, as a Kenway.

However, as long as red/white is made an option again, I'll live with whatever they made the default. At least this time there's not such an obvious good/bad, blue/red color scheme thing going on between the two sides.

Will_Lucky
03-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Historically the foot and soldier Assassin has worn only white and red with occasional differences depending on region. But the Mentor of the Assassins has actually leaned towards a darker color if the Armor of Altair, Al Mualim and Ezios' Darker outfit in Revelations and retirement have hinted at anything.

If anything it hints Arno is the Mentor earlier than suspected.

Megas_Doux
03-23-2014, 03:16 PM
I like the fact "white outfit" trend is dying.

Hans684
03-23-2014, 03:21 PM
I like the fact "white outfit" trend is dying.

The white death.

adventurewomen
03-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Sad to see that there might not be a beaked hood, I liked the design of these hoods and it gave some interesting detail to Assassin outfits.

I'm half and half. The beak hood made sense for some characters like Altair and Ezio because their names are connected to eagles. Connor's hood is shaped more like a wolf in my eyes, which is related to his predator tracking skills..
I'm half Mohawk. There is a clan system Iroquois (The Six Nations, Haudenosaunee) have. For the Mohawk Nation we have three clans named: Bear, Wolf, Turtle. Other Iroquois Nations have up to nine animal clans. From what is seen in AC3 and TOKW is enough evidence to say that Ratonhnhaké:ton is a member of the Wolf Clan Mohawk, Hopefully this information maybe of use. :)

I agree that Connor's Assassin Robes hood shape looks Wolf shaped with an Eagle peak, I did like the detail of he Eagle on the top of the hood. Connor's Assassin Robes were beautiful. :)

SixKeys
03-23-2014, 03:30 PM
I couldn't care less about the stupid beak. It made sense for Desmond's ancestors for the sake of a running theme, but doesn't need to be there for all assassins ever. In fact I wish they would come up with a unique outfit like Aveline's that doesn't have a hood at all, as it starts to look more and more out of place the further we go in history. We all thought Haytham was an assassin until the big reveal in AC3. Not having a hood didn't affect his freerunning or combat skills. He had a unique design and going back to the more typical assassin uniform (when Connor gets his robes) felt like a step back.

I'm happy they're switching things up with the colors as well. The robes should make the assassin look like part of the crowd, not stick out like a sore thumb. We need more outfits that look like we could realistically blend in while wearing them.

Dev_Anj
03-23-2014, 03:33 PM
To quote the administrator of Hitmanforum:

I didn't bother following the franchise after that, though I've seen some entertaining videos of the multi-player, mostly because I didn't see anything to assure me they'd switched the core focus and it seemed to be "brand locked" where ever game is supposed to be somewhere radically different but is forced to adopt various aspects of the previous games (like the white hoods). This usually ends up being a game of diminishing returns.

He has a point. The games have been too brand locked upto the point where the brand feels forced in. It's about time the designs and rules got more sensible.

Locopells
03-23-2014, 03:41 PM
I suppose it depends how you're assassinating. The white robes only really worked as cover in Altair's time, but after that they were more along the line of being "so overt, it's covert" - in other words people looked at the showy robes, rather then the wearer and necessitated the occasional need for a disguise. It does make sense for every day social stealth, I suppose, to have another outfit that reflects the location and period.

Dome500
03-23-2014, 03:47 PM
I always though the white outfit of the Assassins was also a symbol. A symbol of purity, determination and innocence. It painted them as the good guys. This tend changing is not all that bad considering I do not think that either of the 2 sides are the "good guys".

As long as it's still a customization option I am okay with it.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-23-2014, 03:50 PM
To quote the administrator of Hitmanforum:

He has a point. The games have been too brand locked upto the point where the brand feels forced in. It's about time the designs and rules got more sensible.

Well I certinately wouldn't think of the beak as the most "pressing" issue that needed to be un-brand-locked in this franchise lol

Reptilis91
03-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Don't forget that white represents the monarchy. Blue and red=the city of Paris.

(even if there are thousands of meanings for each colour, I know)

Perk89
03-23-2014, 04:19 PM
It bothers me to no end. It was alright as a one off but it's a staple of the series and needs to return. I have no doubt they're doing it for "realism" while simultaneously having us to continue jump from miles on high into haystacks, beat up sharks with ease, and be completely concealed in thin weeds.

address those things Ubi and then we'll concern ourself with how "fitting" a beak on a hood is in a selected time period.

its a staple. Bring it back BEFORE Unity gets too far along.

Perk89
03-23-2014, 04:21 PM
I don't agree that we need infinite customization over every little thing. An "official" look for a protagonist has been a core element of character building and identity throughout the series, and I also don't want that much resources pushed into so,etching that seems out of fitting for the genre. Use that time and energy on plot and game world. What we had in AC4 was nice.

Megas_Doux
03-23-2014, 04:28 PM
I couldn't care less about the stupid beak. It made sense for Desmond's ancestors for the sake of a running theme, but doesn't need to be there for all assassins ever. In fact I wish they would come up with a unique outfit like Aveline's that doesn't have a hood at all, as it starts to look more and more out of place the further we go in history. We all thought Haytham was an assassin until the big reveal in AC3. Not having a hood didn't affect his freerunning or combat skills. He had a unique design and going back to the more typical assassin uniform (when Connor gets his robes) felt like a step back.

I'm happy they're switching things up with the colors as well. The robes should make the assassin look like part of the crowd, not stick out like a sore thumb. We need more outfits that look like we could realistically blend in while wearing them.

This!

That is why Edward, aside from Altair´s are the ones that really fit their respective settings....

Perk89
03-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Both Haytham's and Aveline's outfit were absolutely ridiculous looking. Getting Connor's robes was a massive breath of fresh air and I perpetually had Aveline's hat removed and put the hood on in Liberation.

if i wanted to play as someone wearing a generic leather look, there are plenty of options out there in the gaming world for me to do so.

deskp
03-23-2014, 04:32 PM
The "beak" is there it's just taken a new shape.. You can see the hood is distinctly SHAPED with the cut of the fabric, unlike Edwards wich was just flat around the edge.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2eam7uo.jpg

Kagurra
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
I like the non-beaked hoods. Feels more real to me. This seems like a good compromise IMO.

Mr.GoodKall
03-23-2014, 05:50 PM
The "beak" is there it's just taken a new shape.. You can see the hood is distinctly SHAPED with the cut of the fabric, unlike Edwards wich was just flat around the edge.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2eam7uo.jpg

Good catch I didn't see that. I love the beaks its so unique and very fashionable lol

Mr.GoodKall
03-23-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't get the pocket watch thing though. They weren't invented till later

SixKeys
03-23-2014, 05:53 PM
It's probably not a pocket watch but another PoE we haven't been introduced to yet, like Desmond's temple key in AC3.

deskp
03-23-2014, 05:59 PM

are you sure about that huh?

jayjay275
03-23-2014, 06:03 PM

They were used in the 16th century.

xxtonypunk96xx
03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Wow I didn't even notice that good eye!

GreySkellig
03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
My perspective on moving away from the beaked hood/white and red robes? Good. They're supposed to be a secret order, for the love of all that is good and sneaky! Aside from the fact that as of AC4 the Templars totally know exactly what the Assassins look like, don't you think other people would start putting two and two together eventually? "Geez, every time these monk type guys in the weird hoods show up, somebody important dies. Wonder if there's a connection?"

Also, I'm happy with the fact that we get a new design take each time, and that the costumes are starting to look more appropriate for the time and place. (Although ironically, while Connor was the first to radically depart from the stock Assassin look, he also had the weirdest and most conspicuous outfit.)

However, I do think we should have more flexibility in tweaking the costumes--both to make the hardcore fans happy, and simply because Ubi currently offers a weird in-between level of customization. I mean, how hard is a recolor?

xxtonypunk96xx
03-23-2014, 06:14 PM
If you didn't played AC Liberation there was a POE that looked nothing more than a locket/necklace so he could be holding something similar to this.

adventurewomen
03-23-2014, 06:15 PM
AC Unity is set in late 18th and early 19th century and pocket watches were popular back then, and pocket watches have been used since the 16th century.

Shahkulu101
03-23-2014, 06:28 PM
I no lyk coler nd shaip ubsofty so bad men

projectpat06
03-23-2014, 10:22 PM
As long as there is a manual hood toggle this time, I don't won't care what the hood looks like. I ended up liking the hood with out the beak in Ac4 once I started playing it. I for some reason didn't like edward's robes before the game came out, but now they're my favorite.

LionHeart XXII
03-23-2014, 10:25 PM
I like the new modern looking set. I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to AC as I tend to like the white and red combos, but the new one just hits the right tones for me. like others have said, as long as there is some way to get an assassin white dye or something along those lines, I'll be happy.

Pandassin
03-23-2014, 10:44 PM
I wish the hood was beaked. Although I liked the hood Edward had, I don't think it would look right with Arno's outfit. I can imagine it looking much better with the beak rather than without, I don't know why, I can just imagine it better with a beak. Hopefully Ubisoft have a good reason for it.

Calvarok
03-23-2014, 10:49 PM
My perspective on moving away from the beaked hood/white and red robes? Good. They're supposed to be a secret order, for the love of all that is good and sneaky! Aside from the fact that as of AC4 the Templars totally know exactly what the Assassins look like, don't you think other people would start putting two and two together eventually? "Geez, every time these monk type guys in the weird hoods show up, somebody important dies. Wonder if there's a connection?"

Also, I'm happy with the fact that we get a new design take each time, and that the costumes are starting to look more appropriate for the time and place. (Although ironically, while Connor was the first to radically depart from the stock Assassin look, he also had the weirdest and most conspicuous outfit.)

However, I do think we should have more flexibility in tweaking the costumes--both to make the hardcore fans happy, and simply because Ubi currently offers a weird in-between level of customization. I mean, how hard is a recolor?

Connor's outfit looked very inconspicuous. From the front he was just wearing a normal vest of the time, mixed with his native accouterments, and then from the back he just looked like he was wearing a soldier's coat. It's a blend of various things from the times, and that doesn't seem like something that would be too suspicious.

Guards noticing that someone in a hood was lurking about doesn't help them. more often than not it's probably just another person wearing a hood. Hoods have been around forever, and would be a lot more common in the crowd than has been seen in the game, because they want it to be obvious that the crowd is civillians. And people committing murder while wearing hoods aren't exclusive to assassins. that's probably happened a lot too, since hoods have an obvious benefit of hiding your face.

None of the assassin outfits other than Altair's look monkish. They do look iconic, and that's because they're meant to strike fear into the hearts of those who DO know who they are. When they need to be inconspicuous even to them, they have no problem using disguises.

It's like Batman, but subtler.

Arno's outfit is exactly like a french gentleman without the hood. they had coats exactly like that, and the front is literally just normal clothes of the era mixed with some leather straps.

Consus_E
03-23-2014, 11:03 PM
I think (ACU Protagonists Name Here) has the best costume so far.

Dome500
03-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Connor's outfit looked very inconspicuous. From the front he was just wearing a normal vest of the time, mixed with his native accouterments, and then from the back he just looked like he was wearing a soldier's coat. It's a blend of various things from the times, and that doesn't seem like something that would be too suspicious.

Guards noticing that someone in a hood was lurking about doesn't help them. more often than not it's probably just another person wearing a hood. Hoods have been around forever, and would be a lot more common in the crowd than has been seen in the game, because they want it to be obvious that the crowd is civillians. And people committing murder while wearing hoods aren't exclusive to assassins. that's probably happened a lot too, since hoods have an obvious benefit of hiding your face.

None of the assassin outfits other than Altair's look monkish. They do look iconic, and that's because they're meant to strike fear into the hearts of those who DO know who they are. When they need to be inconspicuous even to them, they have no problem using disguises.

Arno's outfit is exactly like a french gentleman without the hood. they had coats exactly like that, and the front is literally just normal clothes of the era mixed with some leather straps.

This.

Speaking of it, they should make more civilans with hoods. Not hoods which are exactly like the Assassin ones, but slightly different.

Also, if there is a Brotherhood in Paris, wouldn't it be cool to sometimes see a guy in the crowd wearing an Assassin hood or a red sash and you think "Is that one of my Assassin brothers.... ? Would be cool IMO :D

deskp
03-24-2014, 01:12 AM
This.

Speaking of it, they should make more civilans with hoods. Not hoods which are exactly like the Assassin ones, but slightly different.

Also, if there is a Brotherhood in Paris, wouldn't it be cool to sometimes see a guy in the crowd wearing an Assassin hood or a red sash and you think "Is that one of my Assassin brothers.... ? Would be cool IMO :D

with the new seamless online stuff, you will see other playes ocne in a while, and they will look like another assassin. (speculation based on watch_dogs)

Megas_Doux
03-24-2014, 01:14 AM

I like Edward´s too, the two that fit the most, imo.

Locopells
03-24-2014, 01:56 AM
with the new seamless online stuff, you will see other players once in a while, and they will look like another assassin. (speculation based on watch_dogs)

Please, god no. SP and MP should always be separate IMO. I don't want random people mucking up my SP game at a crucial moment. When I do get to play WD, I am so turning that off...

Farlander1991
03-24-2014, 09:50 AM
I think people would've had less problems with Connor's outfit if there were more NPCs with similar-looking outfits.

It's authentic to the period, but tends to stick out because nobody else in game wears things like that.

shobhit7777777
03-24-2014, 11:16 AM
I think people would've had less problems with Connor's outfit if there were more NPCs with similar-looking outfits.

It's authentic to the period, but tends to stick out because nobody else in game wears things like that.

Surprisingly...I was never quite bother by his rather ostentatious outfit - He looked like a Native American hunter come to the big city to trade in pelts, bones and meat for supplies....he fit in. I imagine such people would not be that uncommon a sight. He had a bow and tomahawk and looked everybit the hunter.

itsamea-mario
03-24-2014, 11:22 AM
To be fair, non of the main protagonists have really had a proper relation to eagles since Ezio.

Not to say i don't miss the beaked hood.

Farlander1991
03-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Surprisingly...I was never quite bother by his rather ostentatious outfit - He looked like a Native American hunter come to the big city to trade in pelts, bones and meat for supplies....he fit in. I imagine such people would not be that uncommon a sight. He had a bow and tomahawk and looked everybit the hunter.

Yeah, I know, and I personally don't see the outfit as a problem, but I do think that still there's not enough hunters. Even European hunters and frontiersmen would wear similar outfits - but they're nowhere to be seen. Just a few there and there would remove the problem of fitting in altogether, I think.

EchoFiveKilo
03-24-2014, 11:50 AM
I thought Connor's Assassin outfit was by far the most badass/intimidating. The hood definitely makes it so, since it looks very angular/sharp looking.

itsamea-mario
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Are intimidating outfits really what we want?

Dome500
03-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I know, and I personally don't see the outfit as a problem, but I do think that still there's not enough hunters. Even European hunters and frontiersmen would wear similar outfits - but they're nowhere to be seen. Just a few there and there would remove the problem of fitting in altogether, I think.

Agreed. Ubisoft should try to put outfits with more similarity into the crowd, because that way it makes more sense that we are not sticking out. They shouldn't be TOO similar, but the same colors, a hood here and there, and similar cloth stitching wouldn't be bad.

That way you feel like the "blade in the crowd".