PDA

View Full Version : Weak Protagonist -- Curious to know your opinion

Emperor_Fabulus
03-22-2014, 09:50 PM
So, I was thinking about ways the AC series might change things up for future installments, and there was one thing was sort of bouncing around in the back of my head. Up until this point, the protagonists of the AC series have all been one particular flavor of badass -- specifically, there hugely competent in almost any kind of fight. Connor, in particular, seems hugely dangerous in combat, but everyone's got their own thing going for them -- Altair never got hit, not even once, if AC1 is to be believed.

I was thinking that, part and parcel to the demands of many fans that the AC series include more stealth (the Kenway saga apparently not cutting it for 'more stealth'), I was curious to know if y'all, my fellow players, would be interested in an AC game where the main character is a wuss.

In a stand-up fight against six opponents (the kind we regularly see previous Assassins get into regularly), he'd be screwed. He might get one guy before he goes down. Being spotted means you must escape, since you won't win a 'fair' fight. Such a character, to successfully assassinate, must strike from ambush, or use other tools in his arsenal (like, for instance, the bomb-making of Revelations). I envision a character like Shaun from the games or Hanna from the comics -- combat is not their forte, but they are forced into extraordinary situations.

Would you enjoy an AC game like that, or would you declare it 'not AC enough'? If it's not AC enough, is the existing combat a deal-breaker for you, or could this idea be modified somehow to be more acceptable?

Sushiglutton
03-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Maybe he is a really fast and agile. I've always liked the way the bad guy in Rob Roy fights (Obs massive SPOILER for Rob Roy below). I think that could be really cool in AC as that would allow for a slightly more advanced combat system in which we take out enemies in a couple of steps by wounding them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50

ze_topazio
03-22-2014, 10:25 PM
To be a action type Assassin you kind of need to be a badass, the weaker Assassins stay in the office doing other type of work.

Philliesfan377
03-22-2014, 10:47 PM
To be a action type Assassin you kind of need to be a badass, the weaker Assassins stay in the office doing other type of work.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/3/39162/1660595-dannywallace.jpg

D.I.D.
03-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Yes, absolutely. I'm really not into the AC power fantasy thing. The games have a tendency to try and make you into Luke Skywalker, Jesus, or Arnie, and sometimes all of the above at the same time. This is probably why my favourite protags so far are Aveline, Edward and Adéwalé, since the writers didn't have to lean on anything that smelled of Chosen One or midichlorians.

I've been saying for some time that I'd like true simultaneous combat, where all enemies actively try to kill you and never form a queue. That way, you'd have to stay out of sight, and before deciding to move in and fight you'd have to weigh up the odds. One guard, you might take down. Two, possbily. Three, unlikely, and four would be edging towards impossible. I'd like to see guards that could see if you were getting the upper hand in a group fight, and that some would run off and get help.

I think it'd be great, since you'd start to look at guards and their patrols in a completely different way, as objects to be avoided. It would make every courtyard into a little puzzle. We got a taste of that recently in Freedom Cry, which was really nice -- not because Adéwalé was in danger, but because plantation slaves could be killed if you didn't pick off the overseers with care. I'd like to see more of that, but it might take a lot more teasing before the audience is willing to accept it now that they're used to being superheroes.

souNdwAve89
03-23-2014, 01:22 AM
It will be a very difficult to promote and sell a game where the Assassin is more passive than previous ancestors. Some people play video games to escape reality and to live another life in a different world. Playing a character like OP describe might turn some off. I personally would welcome it since it can give a different perspective in the AC universe. Like previous posts mentioned, they can definitely give this said Assassin some new mechanics such as being faster in combat, a little faster in free running, etc. They can even bring back the dagger and throwing knives. Maybe this Assassin is an expert in small weapons and rely mostly on intelligence and planning out missions.

Maybe said character was framed for something, and now he or she is being hunted by Templars, but one Assassin takes notice and mentors the character. It could be interesting to see this Assassin trainee take life for the first time. Maybe like the Tomb Raider reboot, but without the disconnect. The writers can play around with the morality that they've been talking about for some time. Again, it's just an idea, and I think it would be a cool take within the AC universe, but I doubt it will happen since the game might not be fun for some and will be a hard sell.

adventurewomen
03-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Interesting that you have already come to this conclusion when we fans barely know anything about the new protagonist.

I'm sure you know the phrase, "Don't judge a book by it's cover.."​

silvermercy
03-23-2014, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't say no. However, a "weak" protagonist would not work for a full game. A character like that would need to be forced into action and eventualy overcome their weakness over a period of time. This is character development. The assassin would need to develop and "grow" otherwise it wouldn't appeal to many people I think...

D.I.D.
03-23-2014, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't say no. However, a "weak" protagonist would not work for a full game. A character like that would need to be forced into action and eventualy overcome their weakness over a period of time. This is character development. The assassin would need to develop and "grow" otherwise it wouldn't appeal to many people I think...

Why would "weaker" mean "timid"? You could be insanely motivated, but just not a walking tank. That's way more interesting than doing Luke Skywalker/The Karate Kid over and over again. That's why Altair worked in the first place - you see him at the top of the tree right at the start, and you know what he's capable of doing. We got a twist on that clichéed, cheap rise.

You can still be and feel dangerous while not being the guy who can literally stand there all day piling up bodies.

silvermercy
03-23-2014, 01:48 AM
I didn't mean timid or a "piling bodies" kind of assasin. I meant more like "no fit for battle". How can a "no fit for battle" person be an assassin in the middle of action? It's like having a disability imo.

D.I.D.
03-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Did you watch the Showtime series The Borgias? Micholetto was the deadliest assassin around, almost supernaturally dangerous, and hard as nails. However, there were times when he got his arse kicked, badly. He worked from the shadows a lot, and was extremely clever. If he decided someone was going to die, that was it for them. But if they were well guarded, he'd have to be smart about it and couldn't just charge in. Battle wasn't an option for him unless he had help, but he was unequalled at assassination.

Something I always remember is the first time I played AC2. Coming from AC1, I believed what the game told me in the first stage. It told me Ezio was athletic, but only a teenager, so I had to keep him out of sight of Vieri's gang and the city watch. Fair enough, I thought, and took to the roofs. It was superb, with lots of tension. Every time I was forced to decide to attack someone, I did so thinking I had to avoid getting hit at all, or I'd surely be killed. But the next time I replayed it, I walked on the street. I beat up anyone, gang kid or swordsman guard, with my bare hands knowing there was no risk. It's a real disappointment that I'll never play AC2 and feel that energy again, so I hope they'll put it back in the future.

Emperor_Fabulus
03-23-2014, 03:34 AM
I didn't mean timid or a "piling bodies" kind of assasin. I meant more like "no fit for battle". How can a "no fit for battle" person be an assassin in the middle of action? It's like having a disability imo.

The character starts off as a legitimate member of an organization, working his nonfrontline duties as appropriate, but then somehow gets wind of a plot (let's say there's Duncan Walpole-style betrayal in the offing) and has to escape the Assassins because the traitor framed him for the betrayal. Then, while he's on the lamb, he has to figure out how to clear his name and stop the traitor.

And I wasn't suggesting the character be a wuss the entire time. I just thought it might be interesting to have an Assassin who doesn't wade through guards like a hot knife through butter for some/most of the game.

Now that I think about it, it might be interesting if he didn't start out so great at parkour either -- like he had a chance to fall when walking across the the narrow ledges, and you'd have to be quick with O/B/whatever the hand button is on PC to keep him from splatting on the pavement.