PDA

View Full Version : Dropped/Aborted Plot Thread Memorial

TheHumanTowel
03-22-2014, 08:46 PM
This is a place to remember the plot threads that didn't make it through the series and to come to terms with their loss.

-"The sun, your son"
-The Abstergo Satellite launch
-The plague in Africa/ other details about the world in AC1
-The cabin up north
-The Bleeding Effect
-The Revelations in Revelations

RIP you may be gone, but I will never forget you so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH3mE5crzLI

deskp
03-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Wasnt the SUN about to blow us up?

didnt' the bleeding effect get fixed?

I-Like-Pie45
03-22-2014, 08:50 PM
the writers haven't forgotten about the bleeding effect

they just tossed it out of the main games and into AC: Initiates

TheHumanTowel
03-22-2014, 08:51 PM
the writers haven't forgotten about the bleeding effect

they just tossed it out of the main games and into AC: Initiates
Initiates: Where plot points go to die

dxsxhxcx
03-22-2014, 09:52 PM
you can add everything from S16's message as well since Desmond was the one that saw that message and he's dead now...

TheHumanTowel
03-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Wasnt the SUN about to blow us up?

didnt' the bleeding effect get fixed?
Yeah but the "your son" part was never followed up at all. The Bleeding Effect went from being a major plot point to being magically fixed in Revelations so it's counts as dropped to me.

deskp
03-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah but the "your son" part was never followed up at all. The Bleeding Effect went from being a major plot point to being magically fixed in Revelations so it's counts as dropped to me.

wasnt it a misktake on ehr part when she said your son/sun, she corrected herself with "the sun"

souNdwAve89
03-22-2014, 11:32 PM
I believe it was either Darby or Ashraf that said that S16 was just going crazy to point that he was seeing possible realities, which is their explanation for the whole "son" thing in Brotherhood.

dxsxhxcx
03-23-2014, 12:01 AM
I believe it was either Darby or Ashraf that said that S16 was just going crazy to point that he was seeing possible realities, which is their explanation for the whole "son" thing in Brotherhood.

if I'm not wrong, Desmond having a son was one of the calculations (read: predictions of probable futures) made by TWCB, S16 saw many of those and because of the Bleeding Effect at some point he wasn't able to tell which one was real (or the right one) or not.

the rest of the plots were dropped to make easier for them to write a story for the current modern day style.

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Out of that list only the 'cabin got north' was dropped and aborted, I think?

I don't agree that a poor realization or explanation equals to 'aborted'. The way the Bleeding Effect was resolved in Revelations was the most disappointing pay-off to the Bleeding Effect for me (heck, there was no pay-off actually), but it was a resolution and therefore not a dropped plotline.

Even the Africa one technically wasn't dropped and aborted (and, actually, given that AC is not a trilogy anymore, that hacking explanation to remove inconsistency is one change that I actually approve of, surprisingly enough).

pacmanate
03-23-2014, 12:27 AM
Initiates: Where plot points go to die

Sad truth

dxsxhxcx
03-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Out of that list only the 'cabin got north' was dropped and aborted, I think?

I don't agree that a poor realization or explanation equals to 'aborted'. The way the Bleeding Effect was resolved in Revelations was the most disappointing pay-off to the Bleeding Effect for me (heck, there was no pay-off actually), but it was a resolution and therefore not a dropped plotline.

Even the Africa one technically wasn't dropped and aborted (and, actually, given that AC is not a trilogy anymore, that hacking explanation to remove inconsistency is one change that I actually approve of, surprisingly enough).

if Desmond would end up dying in AC3 anyway, why magically cure it if it wouldn't be a problem anymore after Desmond was dead? they just didn't want to have the trouble to create some side effects for it in AC3 (my opinion).

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 12:44 AM
if Desmond would end up dying in AC3 anyway, why magically cure it if it wouldn't be a problem anymore after Desmond was dead? they just didn't want to have the trouble to create some side effects for it in AC3 (my opinion).

I think it was to add relevance to Revelations.

The thing is, the Bleeding Effect is "activated" in the Temple anyway so we would get to Haytham memories, the side effects are there. I think the original idea (or semi-original idea) was to have the Haytham parts of AC3 take place while Desmond's in the coma. And the idea to include Daniel was there originally to have a counter-part to Desmond - somebody who'd have the same problems.

But then suddenly, OMG!!! A wild new game appears! Something important must happen there! So we get a cured Bleeding Effect. But Desmond still needs to somehow get to Haytham's memories. So we get the 'activated by Juno' bleeding effect.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-23-2014, 12:50 AM
I think it was to add relevance to Revelations.

The thing is, the Bleeding Effect is "activated" in the Temple anyway so we would get to Haytham memories, the side effects are there. I think the original idea (or semi-original idea) was to have the Haytham parts of AC3 take place while Desmond's in the coma. And the idea to include Daniel was there originally to have a counter-part to Desmond - somebody who'd have the same problems.

But then suddenly, OMG!!! A wild new game appears! Something important must happen there! So we get a cured Bleeding Effect. But Desmond still needs to somehow get to Haytham's memories. So we get the 'activated by Juno' bleeding effect.
The original plan was to jump from ACB to AC3. Even as late as mid 2010 (a year and a half before ACR release), ACR still existed just as a side-3DS game. Most likely AC3 production was getting delayed and Ubisoft made the team repourpouse Lost Legacy into ACR to have main-console title out for Holiday 2011 season $$$

I-Like-Pie45
03-23-2014, 12:52 AM
The original plan was to jump from ACB to AC3. Even as late as mid 2010 (a year and a half before ACR release), ACR still existed just as a side-3DS game. Most likely AC3 production was getting delayed and Ubisoft made the team repourpouse Lost Legacy into ACR to have main-console title out for Holiday 2011 season $$$

http://vglounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Yves-Guillemot.jpg

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 12:53 AM

Yeah, I know, hence the 'But then suddenly a wild new game appears!' line.

AC3 though was never delayed - it always had a clear release date set for 2012 (and Ubi at one point stated that no console AC games would get released in 2011, but that was still back when ACR was Lost Legacy), but parallel development certainly did not help the modern storyline.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I know, hence the 'But then suddenly a wild new game appears!' line.

AC3 though was never delayed - it always had a clear release date set for 2012 (and Ubi at one point stated that no console AC games would get released in 2011, but that was still back when ACR was Lost Legacy), but parallel development certainly did not help the modern storyline.
Ohh true, forgot about the "no AC this year" thing. And true, modern story did suffer because of it and it will only get worse. There are literally 3 big AC3 in advanced developement right now, ACU, Comet and AC2015. AC2016 probably already in pre-production too. There's no way it can all be kept super-cohesive, hence why they're watering down modern day story even more. And we thought Desmond's modern story was moving slow.... Now I expect the conclusion of Juno's story sometimes in 2025...

dxsxhxcx
03-23-2014, 01:11 AM
Ohh true, forgot about the "no AC this year" thing. And true, modern story did suffer because of it and it will only get worse. There are literally 3 big AC3 in advanced developement right now, ACU, Comet and AC2015. AC2016 probably already in pre-production too. There's no way it can all be kept super-cohesive, hence why they're watering down modern day story even more. And we thought Desmond's modern story was moving slow.... Now I expect the conclusion of Juno's story sometimes in 2025...

don't worry, she'll be deleted by an IT trainee who will format one of the Abstergo/Assassins servers by mistake in the next game.. xD

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 01:13 AM

The difference between the way Desmond's story was dealt with and what's happening now is that in Desmond's case everything pretty much came out of the blue - both Brotherhood (originally a set of small episodic DLCs for historical part of the game) and Revelations (originally a side-project). But now that parallel development is actually a preconceived notion, they can actually plan the story with it in mind with no need to suddenly stretch out or add or reorganize things because the new games inbetween need some relevance.

That's the hope, at least.

I actually was satisifed with ACIV modern day. It provided an introduction to the world for newer audience (a.l.a. AC1 introduced things back then), gave Desmond the character development he needed, has set up the notions of the Juno conflict (making it an official start, again, ala AC1 did things), and has provided a lot of history and insight in different aspects in regards to Animus technology and Abstergo's plans, among other things, which in total is way more than half of Desmond's Saga games have achieved, really.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-23-2014, 01:15 AM
The difference between the way Desmond's story was dealt with and what's happening now is that in Desmond's case everything pretty much came out of the blue - both Brotherhood (originally a set of small episodic DLCs for historical part of the game) and Revelations (originally a side-project). But now that parallel development is actually a preconceived notion, they can actually plan the story with it in mind with no need to suddenly stretch out or add or reorganize things because the new games inbetween need some relevance.

That's the hope, at least.

I actually was satisifed with ACIV modern day. It provided an introduction to the world for newer audience (a.l.a. AC1 introduced things back then), gave Desmond the character development he needed, has set up the notions of the Juno conflict (making it an official start, again, ala AC1 did things), and has provided a lot of history and insight in different aspects in regards to Animus technology and Abstergo's plans, among other things, which in total is way more than half of Desmond's Saga games have achieved, really.
And wasn't ACIV already part of this pre-planning? Seeing how modern story barely moved at all, I'm hella worried lol

Thirsty_panda
03-23-2014, 01:17 AM
I've tried to get this one answered a few times but nobody ever seems to have one for me. Why haven't we been updated on how Abstergo's treasure hunt with Altair's map has been coming along? No one ever talks about this, but it seems like a pretty big deal to me.

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 01:18 AM
And wasn't ACIV already part of this pre-planning? Seeing how modern story barely moved at all, I'm hella worried lol

Well, ACIV was the beginning of it. After all, it began production at the time when both ACB and ACR were finished and AC3 was under way (and I'm pretty sure people inside knew about the troubles it had), so they had to start figuring out how to do things.

Modern day story barely moved at all in AC1 as well.

AC4 is reminiscent to AC1 in a sense that it's supposed to be mostly set-up, a sign of a new beginning.

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure when Unity started developing, but it was also approximately around that time, so ACIV and Unity devs had to work together to figure out what they're going to do.

ACfan443
03-23-2014, 01:34 AM
don't worry, she'll be deleted by an IT trainee who will format one of the Abstergo/Assassins servers by mistake in the next game.. xD

I laughed way too hard.

...Mainly because that's probably what'll happen.

dxsxhxcx
03-23-2014, 01:35 AM
Well, ACIV was the beginning of it. After all, it began production at the time when both ACB and ACR were finished and AC3 was under way (and I'm pretty sure people inside knew about the troubles it had), so they had to start figuring out how to do things.

AC4 is reminiscent to AC1 in a sense that it's supposed to be mostly set-up, a sign of a new beginning.

but IMO AC1 did a much better job putting things in motion than AC4, the goal of AC1 was clear, Abstergo wanted to find the POE's map and Altair's POE, I don't remember now if the satellite plan was mentioned in AC1 but if I'm not wrong the Templars intentions to do something were, we (at least I) could see the beginning of something being draw there, unfortunately I can't say the same about AC4, at the end of AC4 I was left asking myself what was the point of see Edward's memories, the pieces of the puzzle were there but there was no one to put them together (because the role we played as "ourselves" IMO was meaningless)

RatonhnhakeFan
03-23-2014, 01:38 AM

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure when Unity started developing, but it was also approximately around that time, so ACIV and Unity devs had to work together to figure out what they're going to do.
Which basically brings us to the same thing. There are so many teams working on different AC games co-ordinating all of it is a nightmare and thus the modern story moves incredibly slow. Pre-planning would benefit 1 team working on subsequent sequels. Here it just prevents a storytelling collapse from too many simultanious projects, doesn't really improve it.

Thirsty_panda
03-23-2014, 02:48 AM
but IMO AC1 did a much better job putting things in motion than AC4, the goal of AC1 was clear, Abstergo wanted to find the POE's map and Altair's POE, I don't remember now if the satellite plan was mentioned in AC1 but if I'm not wrong the Templars intentions to do something were, we (at least I) could see the beginning of something being draw there, unfortunately I can't say the same about AC4, at the end of AC4 I was left asking myself what was the point of see Edward's memories, the pieces of the puzzle were there but there was no one to put them together (because the role we played as "ourselves" IMO was meaningless)

I don't know. Did it matter? I don't really mean to single you out and all, but your post just sorta screamed for it. If I'm not persistent I'm never going to get an answer. I'm referring to my question above in case I confused you.

dxsxhxcx
03-23-2014, 03:09 AM
I don't know. Did it matter? I don't really mean to single you out and all, but your post just sorta screamed for it. If I'm not persistent I'm never going to get an answer. I'm referring to my question above in case I confused you.

from what I remember this was never mentioned after AC1, we saw that map again in AC2, but the Assassins didn't seem to care about it that much

Thirsty_panda
03-23-2014, 04:03 AM
from what I remember this was never mentioned after AC1, we saw that map again in AC2, but the Assassins didn't seem to care about it that much

Why the hell doesn't that bother anybody? Its not even on the front page of this thread and it's the biggest single flaw with the whole series as far as I can tell. I'm so confused as to why everyone just accepts this.

Calvarok
03-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Why the hell doesn't that bother anybody? Its not even on the front page of this thread and it's the biggest single flaw with the whole series as far as I can tell. I'm so confused as to why everyone just accepts this.

The Assassin's are extremely low on resources and manpower. Disrupting Abstergo's artifact recovery attempts is a bit above their pay grade right now. Said attempts don't seem to have been ignored, since you can hack a few things in AC4 that show you what Abstergo's found and where they're still searching or planning to search. And remember, hacking in AC4 was about feeding information to the Assassins. so now they know more about said operations. Who knows what that will lead to.

itsamea-mario
03-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Coming up with excuses as to why a plot point is no longer a factor, such as "S16 was crazy, so what he said meant nothing" and worse, not even implementing that into a game, just saying it after you were questioned, is a sign of terrible story telling and indicates a franchise that has no idea where it's going or what it's doing.

...and don't even get me started on "the templars made that info up.."

Locopells
03-24-2014, 12:52 PM
You're gonna hate this then...

The Hacker group known as Erudito, who recently hacked the Animus console, has admitted to tampering with the Abstergo News Wire in September 2012. The stories they fabricated include: The L-ll outbreak in Africa, Mexican border security woes, and the closure of all film studios in America,

From Initiates...

itsamea-mario
03-24-2014, 12:54 PM

From Initiates...

Indeed, it's shish like this ubi!

ArabianFrost
03-24-2014, 01:14 PM

From Initiates...
...lolwut?

...how...what...they fabricated the death of nearly the entire continent? And Ubisoft mentions it on some sort of pseudo-wiki site like it were nothing? What? Just reboot the series already. I'm too bloody confused to care about wanting to know how the juno arc ends.

Farlander1991
03-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Out of all the retcons, I think the 'hacking the wire' is the most sensible one.

Yes, it's a cop-out, essentially. But there's really no cop-out way to get out of some things mentioned in AC1, and considering the direction the series has taken, it REQUIRES to do so.

Here's the thing, when AC1 was created, its modern day wasn't OUR modern day. Not just in sense that it was the future, but also in sense that it was kinda a parallel universe so to speak. That presumably was going to be in only 3 games. But as the series progressed and it became evident that AC is going to be an on-going thing, and with 2012 they decided to merge the AC timeline and our actual timeline - you can't have a parallel universe going on. Because you get things like the whole Africa population is dead, but what if something really interesting or mysterious happens in Africa? You can't connect it to the Assassin/Templar conflict in any way, everybody's dead! Because it's not our world. But now it is.

Wasn't it mentioned in one of the e-mails in AC4 as well, though? I don't remember Initiates so far ACTUALLY having information that really affects the modern day storyline from the games that wasn't actually mentioned in the games by the time it was released (i.e. AC3 had all important Initiates info there was by that time, AC4 respectively as well).

TO_M
03-24-2014, 03:25 PM
While it's not an aborted plot, does anyone else remember an old Abstergo website where you had to use a youtube code (I think it was for that AC facebook game) to login and you could acces a few abstergo files, but not all of them due to needing higher security clearance>

Wonder what happened with that.

I-Like-Pie45
03-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Indeed, it's shish like this ubi!

Join the fight

#InitiatesIs****

Bastiaen
03-24-2014, 05:05 PM
If I remember right, they explain in Brotherhood that absergo was watching the border, so they couldn't get to the cabin in the north. Also, I think there is an initiates memory about it...
https://acinitiates.com/#!/database/the-desmond-files/cabin-in-the-north
aaaaannnnddd...
https://acinitiates.com/#!/database/the-desmond-files/roadblock

Yes, it was dropped, but the cabin in the north is certainly forgivable next to "The sun, your son"

That was just heinous.

TO_M
03-24-2014, 05:20 PM
While it's not an aborted plot, does anyone else remember an old Abstergo website where you had to use a youtube code (I think it was for that AC facebook game) to login and you could acces a few abstergo files, but not all of them due to needing higher security clearance>

Wonder what happened with that.

Found the site again :
http://abstergoindustries.com/portal/

PFRDVJ5aLLg is a login code

RatonhnhakeFan
03-24-2014, 06:12 PM
lol at African virus retcon xD