PDA

View Full Version : What weapons do you expect/want in AC Unity?

jayjay275
03-22-2014, 07:14 PM
With the past two games in the series, both protagonists have had a specialty when it comes to combat ; Connor had a tomahawk with a pivoting blade and Edward had the ability to dual-wield swords. Can we expect Arno/Arnaud to have a specialty in combat or remain like Ezio and Altair with one single sword?

What do you expect/want to see in AC Unity in terms of combat and weapons?
Personally, I would like to see the return of throwing knives and daggers, in addition to one handed swords and heavy weapons such as an axe or hammer.

What do YOU want/expect, and what do you think is necessary?

D.I.D.
03-22-2014, 07:19 PM
I'm most looking forward to seeing what they've done with the movement scheme. I'm not as interested in a specific weapon as I am in agility coming to the fore, either as a method of carrying out the hits or in achieving difficult escapes.

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Portable guillotines are a MUST

oliacr
03-22-2014, 07:33 PM
I want to have a guillotine at my hideout, and the chance to take there anybody no matter if he or she is a simple enemy, or a story related enemy. Just to put him or her under the guillotine whenever I want.

Templar_Az
03-22-2014, 07:37 PM
The "I Surrender" option.

rob.davies2014
03-22-2014, 07:49 PM
I'd like to see a sword being wielded in one hand and an ordinary (non-pivot) hidden blade in the other.
I'd also like sword-fighting to be more like duelling rather than the hack and slash style of previous games.

GunnerGalactico
03-22-2014, 07:59 PM
I think they might stay accurate with the French concept. Arnaud might have quite a repertoire of fighting techniques.

*He will have both single and dual weapon style. I expect to see weapons like rapiers, long swords, sabres and short blades.
* His heavy weapon could be a claymore or any other heavy two-handed sword.
* His unarmed fighting could be a combination of Edward's and Connor's.
*Throwing knives could make a return.

I-Like-Pie45
03-22-2014, 08:06 PM
basically, i want to be able to pick up cats and throw them at people to kill them

this way

like black flag, more free advertising from butthurt PETA

padaE
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
basically, i want to be able to pick up cats and throw them at people to kill them

this way

like black flag, more free advertising from butthurt PETA

If by "them" you mean the people and the cat I aprove.

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 08:43 PM

lol

I
I'd also like sword-fighting to be more like duelling than the hack and slash style of previous games.

Seriously though, this.

Philliesfan377
03-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Bring back throwing knives and poisons and I'll be happy.

Hans684
03-22-2014, 09:19 PM

That's actually a great option, it can be like the the "I surrender" option from Hitman Absolution.

lothario-da-be
03-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Throwing knives and a SINGLE sword.

Philliesfan377
03-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Throwing knives and a SINGLE sword.

If they do bring back double swords they should at least give the option to use only one.

Farlander1991
03-22-2014, 09:48 PM
My main wish is for the weapons not to be redundant.

Something along the lines of AC1.

Like, other games had some of this stuff too to an extent, like you can't counter a Heavy Weapon only with Heavy Weapons and Spears, but then they break it by making it counterable with the Hidden Blade (which means that it's the only weapon that you really ever need in the whole game). Or like, in AC2 they had throwing knives, which were weak but silent (and you can have lots of them), and the hidden gun which was one-hit kill always but loud (and you could have only a little amount of bullets), and then in ACB they add a crossbow which is silent, one-hit kill, and you can have TONS of arrows, which totally defeats the purpose of both knives and gun. That's a lot of what happens with AC mechanics, 'oh, we'll do this cool thing, but then we'll make it useless by doing this'. And I know that it's NOT actually the thought process, but it just turned out this way.

AC4 was a return to form in some way, but only because double swords were the only weapon you could carry with you at all times, there's no real difference between them and the axe.

AC1 didn't have a lot of things, but everything had a purpose and a different feel to it.
Hidden Blade - for assassinations.
Sword - medium speed, medium damage, ability to use strong attacks.
Short blade - fast speed (which, btw, changed the rhythm of button presses to initiate a combo, since combos are only counted when you press when the blades connect), low damage, ability to throw knives.
Fists - non-lethal way to deal with some people.

And then let's take something like AC3, where we've got tomahawks, knives, swords, axes, clubs, hidden blades, and yes they have different animations, and yes some have special abilities (like you can throw an axe or a club), but they all play the same way.

poptartz20
03-22-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm expecting to eat Baguettes et du fromage avec le the.

silvermercy
03-22-2014, 09:59 PM
1. Portable guillotines. Oui.
2. Perfume. Ze assassin works in a famous Parisian perfume shop. All it needs is one spray with his special aeu de toilette.

Kiroku
03-22-2014, 10:00 PM
I really loved the crossbow tho. Throwing knifes were nice too.

But how about something new?
If you are in a combat fighting enemies. Your sword can break because it had a ****ty quality.

So u can go looking for a good armourer who can sharpen the sword or make it more robust. Same with your armor. Everytime u get hurt its like "Hey I take some medicine like a magic bean from dragonball and now I got my full health and power back np !"

With this new feature u instantly have a new essential spot in game. You have to visit the smith and spent money more than once !
Aditionally it makes the fights more dramaticly like "What da fck? My sword just broke im outta here!" And u run away or simply change to your dagger and finish them off.
That could be a nice reason you have to switch to your dagger btw. :)

Sushiglutton
03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Rapier, hidden blades, a pistol, some sort of sleeping dart (I think it made stealth more enjoyable in AC4). I dunno, keep it simple. Maybe a rope that can also be used for platforming in some way. It's much more important to me that the system in which they are used is vastly improved!

I'm expecting to eat Baguettes et du fromage avec le the.

Yeah I'm gonna get sacre coeur ***** if we don't get baguettes to slap enemies with! Also cake!

Edit: Yay for Ubi censoring my French curse words :)!

Hans684
03-22-2014, 10:21 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1173838_481286078638973_862452897_n.png

Single sword combat.

Smoke bombs.

Trowing knives.

Obviously hidden blades.

Other weapons used during the time.

I-Like-Pie45
03-22-2014, 10:25 PM
or maybe we can rip off people's legs and beat them to death with their own body parts

jdowny
03-22-2014, 10:44 PM
@Farlander1991

I entirely agree. I feel like the games have got caught up in the excitement of adding weapons that add little to the variety of gameplay. AC 1 had the perfect mix of tools - there wasn't much but each had a purpose and each felt honed, without their uses overlapping.

Close range

Fists - They were without doubt the weakest 'weapon' in the game and were useless beyond specific circumstances, but they nevertheless had a purpose. This in unlike III and IV in which fists were just as deadly as hidden blades or any other weapon which felt a bit ridiculous.

Hidden blade - obviously critical for assassinations, but it was suitably challenging to use it in combat. It guaranteed a one-hit kill for any enemy, but was extremely dangerous to use in combat since you couldn't block an attack. This is a sensible drawback - a powerful weapon in the right circumstances, without making it OP.

Medium Range

Short blade - as you said, it was a faster attack which is better for dealing with larger groups of enemies. Other than this there isn't much difference between the short blade and the sword. However, the short blade is without doubt my favourite weapon. It feels more like an assassin's blade than a sword - it's fast, graceful and accurate - used more for slitting throats and cutting arteries than for the sword's brute force. The short blade has some of my favourite counters - the unusual style of fighting, using the icepick grip as opposed to the more conventional hammer grip, also fit in perfectly with the Assassin's style. It would have been unfamiliar and terrifying to their enemies. Therefore it absolutely has a use within the AC 1 array of weapons. I'd love to see it return in some form.

Sword - powerful, brutal and straightforward attack.

Long range

Throwing knives - these were the most powerful weapons in the game, being able to one-kill anyone. There were many who thought they were OP and they may be right, but it was incredibly satisfying to throw knives at enemies and have them fall immediately. Aside from the hidden blade, this was the one weapon that made me feel like an assassin. And unlike a crossbow, they didn't stick out a mile. Most of the knives were kept hidden - on the waist or the boot. I would have preferred if there was some sort of charging animation, so the player couldn't use them in battle and therefore not kill 10 guards in one go, but that's another matter.

Even in AC IV, which I thought was trying to get back to basics, you still had hidden blades, swords, pistols, axes, sleep darts, beserk darts, rope darts and smoke bombs.

In short, I hope they take their time and think carefully about the details of the weapons they put in. Like having scabbards for the swords (this has annoyed me since AC II). The ability to customise the player's arsenal would go a long way towards this. And also streamlining the interface. I'd rather not have a weapon wheel filled with ten weapons and tools that takes an age to cycle through. I'd rather combine two, such as the short blade and throwing knives (though obviously make this customizable). This way you halve the list of weapons the player needs to cycle through.

Philliesfan377
03-22-2014, 10:45 PM
or maybe we can rip off people's legs and beat them to death with their own body parts

I'd play it.

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 12:16 AM
Even in AC IV, which I thought was trying to get back to basics, you still had hidden blades, swords, pistols, axes, sleep darts, beserk darts, rope darts and smoke bombs.

To be fair, though, ACIV doesn't feel cluttered in comparison to Ezio's trilogy or AC3.

Berserk Darts are for enemy distraction (as a drawback puts them in alert mode).
Sleep Darts are for temporary enemy incapacitation (as a drawback... well, it's temporary, you have to get up close and incapacitate with fists if you want it to be for sure).
Smoke Bombs are to help getting out of alert mode situations.
Pistols are for main long range combat (and while more effective as weapons, they're loud).
Knives are silent one hit kill (but you can carry only one at a time).
Rope Darts are fairly multi-purposed, but at the same time their usage does not really overlap with other tools: you can silently kill with them, but it takes a long time (so they don't overlap with knives), you can quickly one hit kill from a distance, but that requires you to be in a certain position and also puts you in a vulnerable position (so it doesn't really overlap with pistols or knives).
So there's all these clear usages with advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation - the only tools I have found myself not using much were rope darts (since they were introduced very late in the game by which time most of the world and locations are pretty much explored and dealt with) and knives (used them in smuggler dens mostly, though, as the way to get them is not the most effective)

The ones that are really redundant are the blade/sword/axe trio, and that's due to the fact that in combat system they're all essentially the same, difference is only in animations.

As a general principle I feel that ACIV is on the right track.

jdowny
03-23-2014, 02:12 AM
In what regard?

AC IV's weapons have a use, but with most of the AC games post II it seemed like a lot of the weapons overlapped or felt like excess. Sleep dart, beserk dart, knives, guns and rope dart were all long-range weapons but with different effects. All those effects are useful in their own way but to me it's making it overwrought, senselessly complex. I just want to kill an enemy, silently if possible. One tool should be enough to do that.

tinrisky
03-23-2014, 03:13 AM
i just hope there's nothing sticking out of his back like it doesnt belong

JustPlainQuirky
03-23-2014, 03:17 AM
Hot Air Balloons to ride in

Carriages to ride in with personal carriage driver

visit-able zoo

connor cameo

local and online co-op

allied templars

no easily avoidable conflicts that result in killing for sake of shock value or feels

main character dies in the end via guillatine execution

kill assassin not because evil or joined templars but because you disagreed with his ideals drastically

be able to influence a mob so they execute someone for you

Calvarok
03-23-2014, 03:36 AM
either stop letting us use hidden blades in combat, or make switching between hidden blades/sword significantly change the combat gameplay style.

Arno has a sword and hidden blades, he doesn't need any other melee weapons. that's it.

Legendz54
03-23-2014, 04:52 AM
I think a rope swing mechanic would be good.. Like a rope with a hook on the other side that attaches to things and then it can help you climb or you could swing across from one place to another.

JustPlainQuirky
03-23-2014, 05:36 AM
Portable guillotine.

I don't know how it would work, but I want it.

I just imagine limbs flying everywhere so Ubisoft might not be willing to do that.

Dev_Anj
03-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Well, I would like having more melee weapons, but the combat should feel different.

Like the hidden blade would need perfect timing to hit an enemy in combat, and it shouldn't block any attack. The swords should hit based on their speed, and the blocking statistic should actually change how many hits they block and how quickly. Axes, maces and other heavy weapons should of course do a lot of damage, but it should be very cumbersome to block fast attacks with them.

Also, it would be nice if combat stopped being so focused on counter attacks and their variations.

jayjay275
03-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Imagine if we could get maces back as well. :)

C_G_01
03-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Ubisoft have always been pretty good with the weapons department, they just seem to have trouble with scabbards and holsters, wtf.

Maybe a pistol that shoots overcooked filet mignon? I dunno, and I don't care. As long as there's a holster for it.

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 04:39 PM
As a general principle I feel that ACIV is on the right track.

Me too, I really liked the options for AC4. I wouldn't mind a little more variety regarding bombs or darts, but no new weapon was needed. Although, I think the setting really helped in the sense that Edward didn't look like a maniac walking down the streets.

He was a pirate, he had his normal arsenal (and the hood down helped too). It was something much harder to accomplish in AC2, for example, so they need to find a balance otherwise I can see Arnold looking out of place in France too.

AC3 was really the strangest of all in my opinion. Connor was not only a big guy, but those heavy weapons arsenal was really, really over the top.

lothario-da-be
03-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Imagine if we could get maces back as well. :)
I LOVED the mace kills, but I don't think much maces were used in the French revolution.

Layytez
03-23-2014, 04:46 PM
I expect nothing groundbreaking.

jayjay275
03-23-2014, 04:48 PM
I LOVED the mace kills, but I don't think much maces were used in the French revolution.

I was thinking so too. Maybe hammers then. :)

GreySkellig
03-23-2014, 06:01 PM
I liked the direction AC4took of trying to streamline a little, but I feel like they filtered out the wrong elements. My ideal setup for ACU would go something like this:

Hidden Blades: An obvious must. I feel that they need to be nerfed a bit, however. In AC3 there was no practical reason not to run with hidden blades the entire time. Granted, AC4 was a bit better about this, as hidden blades wound up being very slow and therefore not a good weapon for protracted confrontations.

Small Blade: Something missing from AC4, and which I'd like to see included again. The small blade was always my favorite weapon. Faster and stealthier, it felt ideal for taking out small groups of 2-4 guards.

Sword (ONE): Hopefully, given the option of the small blade, the sword becomes a last resort weapon. Slower attack speed but higher damage and wider counter windows make it good for long fights where you have to nail many counters in a row--but there should be the sense that one only resorts to the sword when the midden has struck the windmill. You are an assassin after all, and wailing on guys with a sword both unstealthy and violates the get in/get out mentality.

Throwing Knives: I really want to see these return. For most intents and purposes, the bow/blowgun replaced these. I actually loved the bow, but the blowgun was OP in a big way, mostly due to the fact that berserk darts effectively removed the challenge from 90% of assassinations. If throwing knives don't make a return, whatever poisoned nonsense we get next had better at least include the stipulation "Guards will not attack their employer, because that's just stupid." Poison worked better in previous games, where it was more of a distraction than a means of killing a bunch of guards AND your target.

Pistol: Like the sword, should be a nuclear option. Guaranteed kill, longer range than trowing knives, but loud as hell. To be honest, I've never enjoyed using the guns anyway.

Those are the essentials in my view. I'd like to see the return of rope darts, as they are fun, versatile and don't clutter up the character model. I'd also like there to be a way of carrying a musket to a rooftop. The few times in AC3/AC4 that I was able to do so, it felt bad*ss to be an 18th century sniper.

Templar_Az
03-23-2014, 07:18 PM
I want an AK-47 and an RPG

Kirokill
03-23-2014, 07:24 PM
I love fists, but I wish the hidden gun could make a return. BUT with an alert, it sucks shooting people with that BOOM sound, but no one notices.

Hans684
03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
http://vimeo.com/89241245

One possible sword animation.

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
It would be nice if there's proper combat animations this time. We all know AC4's animations were jerky and crappy in general, but the recicled combat animations really had nothing to do with the swords. I will probably never understand how something that was built with such care for AC3 was just thrown away for AC4, the downgrade was shocking.

SixKeys
03-23-2014, 08:31 PM
It would be nice if there's proper combat animations this time. We all know AC4's animations were jerky and crappy in general, but the recicled combat animations really had nothing to do with the swords. I will probably never understand how something that was built with such care for AC3 was just thrown away for AC4, the downgrade was shocking.

AC3 wasn't perfect in this regard either. They used the same tomahawk animations for swords and daggers which made no sense.

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 08:34 PM
AC3 wasn't perfect in this regard either. They used the same tomahawk animations for swords and daggers which made no sense.

Yeah, as with everything regarding AC3, nothing was explored to its full potential :nonchalance: But still, the animations on AC3 was pretty fluid in general so you'd expect they would cross that over to AC4 and improve upon them. After I spent weeks playing AC4, I came back for AC3 and the difference was in my face right from the start. There's quite a gap.

Tazwolf2020
06-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Shooting hidden blades daggers and bows(fire tip option)

Tazwolf2020
06-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Hidden blade that can hook to tree limbs and buildings for rappel and climbing

Tazwolf2020
06-10-2014, 07:43 AM
A staff to fight and climb with would be awesome and like a gas to make your enemies go to sleep and I would love a spear

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 08:03 AM
I would love a spear

Spears, axes, and rifles are all confirmed to be in. Personally I'm dying to get short blades back, but if the sword animations are good and varied then I'll be content. I really hope you can still fight with the hidden blade though.

I'm wondering, though, how the Phantom Blade is going to work? If you shoot your hidden blade at someone, are you incapable of doing hidden blade kills until you retrieve it/buy a new one?

Kirokill
06-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Scimitars, tomahawks.
Rope darts, hidden gun but this "phantom blade" compensates for it.

GunnerGalactico
06-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Hidden blade that can hook to tree limbs and buildings for rappel and climbing

* We've had that in ACR

Scimitars, tomahawks.
Rope darts, hidden gun but this "phantom blade" compensates for it.

Yeah, I'm liking the phantom blade too... it's cool :)

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Not exactly a new weapon idea, but I think it would be neat if cutlasses, sabres, and rapiers were each a different "class" and had different animations. It always kind of bugged my that Ezio would fight the exact same way with skinny little rapiers and gigantic scimitars, though admittedly any swords we're likely to have in 18th-century France won't vary as widely as the ones in the Ezio games.

Ureh
06-11-2014, 12:01 AM
I love fists, but I wish the hidden gun could make a return. BUT with an alert, it sucks shooting people with that BOOM sound, but no one notices.

That'd be cool if they included some animations where he throws sand into their eyes or knocks off the helmet before punching them in the face. And also grab something from environment when he needs to improvise (like a bucket of water).