PDA

View Full Version : Please DO NOT load up the new Assassin with tons of immersion breaking weapons.

seph1c0
03-22-2014, 03:07 PM
This has been my biggest gripe with AC since they started strapping crossbows to people's backs and expected no one to take notice. Whatever happened to the concept of hiding in plain sight (AC1) ?

The crossbows, Ezio's gas bombs and the BLOW PIPE are the worst features ever. Over powered, immersion breaking, and the last one in particular looking downright stupid.

Please do not load up the new Assassin with too many weapons. Even better, please provide a system that allows or even encourages the player to swap/remove weapons and only take a few to a mission. Lastly, long range stealth weapons that can potentially take out multiple enemies with zero risk are stupid and game breaking - and terrible if they're strapped to a guy's back while he's walking through a crowded street.

Thanks,

Kirokill
03-22-2014, 03:15 PM
I really just want to be able to take my equipment off. Hidden blades and a ranged weapon is enough for me.

frodrigues55
03-22-2014, 03:19 PM
I totally agree with this and I think we are not alone, mate! Social stelth looks a bit off when you have a giant fully armored hooded guy walking around with weapons from head to toe.

I feel the amound of wepons they have only really worked on AC1 and AC4.

Megas_Doux
03-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Meh!!!

As long we are allowed to choose what to wield...

Pd: I liked both blowpipe and bombs.

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 03:40 PM
And if you do, give us the option to take off the weapons too. I probably am a minority but I felt AC IV was better off for having a small selection of divergent weapons. Not a dozen weapons that do the same thing roughly. AC 1 too. So yes, I'd prefer AC 1/4 style small arsenal of weapons as well. But if they decide to go the Brotherhood/Revs/III way, atleast give us the option to unequip them as well or imma throw some chairs.

C_G_01
03-22-2014, 03:42 PM
An equip / unequip weapons feature would be so awesome. Especially, since after all this time, after so many AC games, and with the suppose to be powerful current gen consoles, they still can't provide proper scabbards and pistols holsters. They(scabbards and holsters) were already on AC1 and AC3 respectively, why take it away, I just don't get it. I don't mind rolling with hidden blades only.

rcole_sooner
03-22-2014, 03:44 PM
The gas bombs saved my bacon quite a few times.

I guess getting a silenced sniper rifle is out of the question then? :p

seph1c0
03-22-2014, 03:47 PM
The only issue I take with the poison gas bombs is how completely overpowered they were. Other than that they were well concealed which is great. If they had removed the poison gas bombs and left the sound ones or explosives, both of which had the draw back of alerting guards, I wouldn't have minded.

BLOW PIPE is freaking stupid. It looks so bad I never play past that mission in AC4. I just do as many side missions as possible and then take out legendary ships before that point. Then I stop playing the game.

Dome500
03-22-2014, 04:15 PM
I really just want to be able to take my equipment off. Hidden blades and a ranged weapon is enough for me.

This.

It would be the perfect solution for all gamers. Choose how to run around.
Being able to equip and unequip the following things would be good:

1. Armor
2. Hood
3. Weapons

I liked both blowpipe and bombs.

Agreed. IMO they are easier to hide and harder to see, that way you are not THAT suspicious.

And if you do, give us the option to take off the weapons too. I probably am a minority but I felt AC IV was better off for having a small selection of divergent weapons. Not a dozen weapons that do the same thing roughly. AC 1 too. So yes, I'd prefer AC 1/4 style small arsenal of weapons as well. But if they decide to go the Brotherhood/Revs/III way, atleast give us the option to unequip them as well or imma throw some chairs.

I have to disagree. I always liked to have many weapons and tools. Not because we could carry so much (maybe limit the number of weapons/tools we can carry?) but because you could choose so many different tools. Variety.

So yes to variety of tools and weapons.
But also yes to being able to unequip them.

poptartz20
03-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Umm... It would be cool to actually chose which weapons you want to take on a mission with you but at the same time I always feel if there are no restrictions on how you can take down your target you don't have to use all the tools that are given to you. I personally loved the blowpipe and thought it was one of the better improvements over to the weapons and actually made sense to use.

Templar_Az
03-22-2014, 06:42 PM
I ever understood the purpose of the dagger in this game? or even a sword? The hidden blade seems to be enough for one-on-one combat. Also, the throwing knives are kinda crap?

The crossbow I like; maybe they should make your character wear some kind of cape to cover it up.

Dome500
03-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I ever understood the purpose of the dagger in this game? or even a sword? The hidden blade seems to be enough for one-on-one combat. Also, the throwing knives are kinda crap?

The crossbow I like; maybe they should make your character wear some kind of cape to cover it up.

I always liked the throwing knifes. A shame they weren't in AC3 or AC4...

@Hidden-Blade, yeah... I didn'T like the new way of using the hidden blade, I would have preferred the old AC1/AC2 style, where you actually had to TIME it right in order the counter (like the Assassin dodges/evades and then sticks his blade to the head of the enemy or something similar).

And I absolutely agree that the weapons being hidden more would already make for more immersion.

dxsxhxcx
03-22-2014, 06:57 PM

fight like we do with the hidden blades IMO always felt unrealistic, IMO they should make it what it was in AC1, they also need to work on the weapons because at the moment the only difference I can see between a dagger and a sword are the animations, IMO one/two- hand swords should have its counter window reduced while the dagger should have the current counter window but the user should suffer some damage (not the full damage of course) even if he's able to defend an enemy attack, especially if the enemy is attacking with a sword or a bigger weapon, that way a dodge button would become useful again, free aim should return for throwing/ranged weapons, I think the healing system should work in a similar way the armors used to work in AC2, if we lose too much health during a battle (example: we are left with less than 25% of our total health after the end of a battle), we would only automatically recover part of it (maybe 60%), to fully recover we would need to visit a doctor to patch us up.

D.I.D.
03-22-2014, 07:22 PM

The dagger seemed to have an advantage in some of the early games when taking on a group of enemies.

I agree with the OP; I'd also like to see a fast, slim type for a while after all these beefy tank characters. If they could take it down to concealed weapons for all but a few missions, that would be great.

djtrev
03-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Yes. Ubisoft pissed me right off today with this ugly stupid (the amount of swear words i want to use right now is unreal) blowpipe. Found a glitch to remove. it. spent to hours trying, succeeded. then logged in to find out i need the new update, and now the blow pipe is back. IT makes no freaking sense. you play a pirate. with a tribal weapon. where is the logic. if this bowpipe is so awesome then why isnt it featured on any of the marketing materials for the game. posters advertisements etc. because it sucks. LISTEN to your fans. the ones who pay for your products. send in the intern to write the line of code to equip or not. Put in as a DLC for .99. ppl will pay the dollar to fix your stupidity. the dual wielding is BS too. This should be the best game of them all. i have been annoyed since i turned on the system today. This will be the first AC game i dont play a second time through. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad:

D.I.D.
03-23-2014, 12:43 AM
@djtrev - I don't get why you're so upset about this. You've been using various types of poison darts for years, but suddenly you're upset that they're shot with a blowpipe? You say "listen to the fans", but I've never heard anyone getting upset about the blowpipe until this thread so it might not be a problem for as many people as you think.

As I say, I understand and agree with the general idea about not walking around covered in weaponry, but the blowpipe seems like one of the few that actually does make sense (small, silent, concealable).

Calvarok
03-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Yes. Ubisoft pissed me right off today with this ugly stupid (the amount of swear words i want to use right now is unreal) blowpipe. Found a glitch to remove. it. spent to hours trying, succeeded. then logged in to find out i need the new update, and now the blow pipe is back. IT makes no freaking sense. you play a pirate. with a tribal weapon. where is the logic. if this bowpipe is so awesome then why isnt it featured on any of the marketing materials for the game. posters advertisements etc. because it sucks. LISTEN to your fans. the ones who pay for your products. send in the intern to write the line of code to equip or not. Put in as a DLC for .99. ppl will pay the dollar to fix your stupidity. the dual wielding is BS too. This should be the best game of them all. i have been annoyed since i turned on the system today. This will be the first AC game i dont play a second time through. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad:
It makes a lot of sense that a pirate would pick some exotic things up from natives, given how much they travel. maybe not your generic idealized version of a pirate, but the ones that existed in real life, for sure.

I find all this really funny, since I felt like the blowpipe was totally inobtrosive and perfectly fitting. There's no reason walking around with a blowpipe clipped on your back would freak people out. most people probably wouldn't even know what it was. carrying visible weapons in general is not as crazy as people seem to think, in that time period. It's partially ubisoft's fault that you're confused, since they don't give peaceful npc's weapons cause they don't want to motivate folks to fight with them, just guards. It also explains why they always run from you, which makes crowd behaviors simpler and easier to execute. maybe next-gen will motivate a less binary system of who carries a weapon.

of course I do agree that ranged weapons are a bit too powerful. best to make the gun your only long range weapon so that people are motivated to use close quarters for stealth. then bring back throwing knives, in a realistic and limited amount.

seph1c0
03-23-2014, 02:27 AM
@djtrev - I don't get why you're so upset about this. You've been using various types of poison darts for years, but suddenly you're upset that they're shot with a blowpipe? You say "listen to the fans", but I've never heard anyone getting upset about the blowpipe until this thread so it might not be a problem for as many people as you think.

Actually, there are MANY people who hate the blow pipe. Google it on the net. There are tons of people attempting to reproduce the glitch djtrev is speaking about, myself included. The only problem being that I play on PC and apparently they patched the glitch on the steam version and losing the blow pipe is no longer possible. :mad:

Regardless the point remains that, at the very least, they should provide an option for players to remove some weapons/equipment. As I stated in the OP I think they should actually design the games around having fewer and less powerful weapons. AC BR and AC RV were the worst with Ezio walking around like a 1 man army.

tinrisky
03-23-2014, 03:16 AM
yea, but even in AC1, you had a big ole shiny knife on your back as you're trying to blend in with monks.

mikeyf1999
03-23-2014, 04:48 AM
So you say why isn't the blowpipe marketed maybe the same reason throwing knives weren't marketed
Then you say listen to the fans the fans
As you said the option to remove weapons would be good
But don't say that the majority hated the blowpipe
The concept was good it was how it became too OP (considering you could have bout 30 darts)

Calvarok
03-23-2014, 08:13 AM
it's not true that the blowpipe wasn't marketed. it was in tons of trailers. It wasn't on the CG renders/boxart because those are made long before all the gameplay stuff is finalized. That's one of the issues with CG. But it doesn't matter as long as they get the basic idea of what equipment you'll have for most of the game.

Kinda weird to say that all upgrades need to be shown on the box. Ezio was always decked out in the basic leather armor on the AC2 box, and no-one complained.

DualFace
03-23-2014, 10:25 AM
I don't think OP realizes just how recently the outlaw of carrying weapons on your person, in 'public' (big cities, ect) was.
What type of weapon is completely irrelevant.

That was absolutely normal back in the day. People hunted to survive.

Dome500
03-23-2014, 02:44 PM

As I say, I understand and agree with the general idea about not walking around covered in weaponry, but the blowpipe seems like one of the few that actually does make sense (small, silent, concealable).

This.

Seriously dude, what is your problem with blowpipes? I did never hate the blowpipe, not did I hear anyone of the "fans" here complaining about it. Sure, it's not the mist common weapons and it also doesn't look that "cool", but it's a good stealth weapon that's also very inconspicuous at that. On top of that it fits the Caribbean setting- So where is your problem?

yea, but even in AC1, you had a big ole shiny knife on your back as you're trying to blend in with monks.

Agreed, but you have to admit it was not as notorious and conspicuous as the arsenal Ezio and Edward carried around with them. IN Edwards time that's pretty much okay, since almost every Captain and Privateer ran around like that, but in Ezios time?

Connor was pretty much okay, all you saw was a bow, a sword and a holstered pistol. Everything about him screams "hunter from the frontier".
And Altair blended in well, considering he had only 2 weapons you could actually see, the knife on his back and the sword at his waist.

Also, even if Altair was conspicuous, that is exactly why we say that. Let us choose which weapons to carry around (or if we do not want to carry around any), that way everyone can balance his weaponry with his own immersion and choose the option that is the least immersion breaking for him-/herself.

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 03:49 PM

I really had no ideia people hated the blowpipe so much in order to get this type of angry feelings toward it :eek: I'm seriously surprised, I thought most fans liked it? I don't even know how they can get in the way of gameplay to the point where you don't even wanna play it again. It's not like you are forced to use it.

In my opinion, it fit perfectly. It provides for silent kills, which is really the way assassins work, and can be used to get different outcomes and strategies when in enviroments that allowed for stealth.

I think this was the case of developers really listening to fans, so you shouldn't really speak for everyone implying they weren't listening to us.

Plus, it was quite small, it's hard to notice it so much to the point where you get annoyed by it, no?

And finally, I don't know what kind of marketing you were subjected to, but developers promoted the hell out of those darts when showing the game. They pretty much shoved them in our face a bunch of different oportunities. We even saw when they changed the beserk darts, which were not meant to kill guards at first.

SixKeys
03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I don't think OP realizes just how recently the outlaw of carrying weapons on your person, in 'public' (big cities, ect) was.
What type of weapon is completely irrelevant.

That was absolutely normal back in the day. People hunted to survive.

Then this should be reflected in the NPCs. It looks silly when you're the only person in the city - apart from guards - to wear any kind of weapon, let alone a whole arsenal of them. There should be at least some NPCs who are shown to carry a short hunting knife or bow and arrows with them.

lothario-da-be
03-23-2014, 04:41 PM
He doesn't seem loaded with weapons in the trailer, and ac4 realy improved in this aspect. I think we won't get any walking tanks anymore.