PDA

View Full Version : My graphics are messed up [SOLVED]

Matthew514
03-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Hello,

First, I want to say thank you for releasing this beta. Trials Fusion is my most anticipated game this year, and I'm very excited to get early access. That being said, I'm having a problem that makes it difficult to play. The game runs well, I can use all the features and finish races and the menus look fine, but as you can see in the photos there is a something wrong with the graphics. I've tried lowering all the settings, changing the resolution, and restarting my computer, but it didn't help. Here are my specs:

Dell Inspiron 7720
Windows 8 x64
Intel Core i7-3630QM
8gb RAM
NVIDEA GeForce GT 650M

Please let me know if I can do anything about this, I'm dying get into this game. Thank you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/maathimself/garage.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/maathimself/tutorial.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/maathimself/roach.png

mrjorts
03-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Did you try verifying game files?

diggler08
03-22-2014, 03:00 AM
Did you try verifying game files?

I am having the same problem as well and I have tried verifying my game files.

i7-4702MQ
Geforce GTX 760M
16gb ram
Win 8.1

I had similar problems with the Titanfall beta and the fix was to make sure you selected "High Performance GPU" in the Nvidia Control Panel, but this did not fix this issue.

Help!

Matthew514
03-22-2014, 03:59 AM
I am having the same problem as well and I have tried verifying my game files.

i7-4702MQ
Geforce GTX 760M

I had similar problems with the Titanfall beta and the fix was to make sure you selected "High Performance GPU" in the Nvidia Control Panel, but this did not fix this issue.

Help!

I'm in the same situation, it passes verification and I have it set to use the Nvidia card rather than the integrated graphics, but to no avail. I'm reinstalling now, I'll post the results.

Update: Reinstall didn't work unfortunately. Also, the track Deep Freeze crashes the game before the course loads. All the other tracks are playable.

UbiJustin
03-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Well that doesn't look right. We'll get a PC support rep in here with some answers.

Locks04
03-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Same problem here with my MSI GT60, i7 4700MQ , Nvidia gtx 780M , Windows 8.1, 16go RAM

SparkierJoNESZ
03-22-2014, 12:39 PM
i had texture glitching too but i updated drivers and it was fixed
amd radeon HD8730M grafics card

diggler08
03-22-2014, 04:04 PM
i had texture glitching too but i updated drivers and it was fixed
amd radeon HD8730M grafics card

All of these problems are NVIDIA related except yours and unfortunately I am running the most current driver available.

naldov94
03-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Same problem here with NVIDIA GTX 765M.
Driver version : Geforce 335.23

I tried to verif files (no problem detected), and uninstall/install still same probems.

MrTataf
03-22-2014, 07:05 PM
I have same problems.

NVIDEA GeForce GT 635M
Ram: 16Go
Intel Core i7-3630QM
Windows8

diggler08
03-22-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm starting to notice a trend here, seems everyone posting including myself is using a laptop Geforce...
It would be awesome for a solution to pop up, I have really enjoyed the previous Trials games and want to get into this one.

MrTataf
03-22-2014, 11:24 PM
(sorry for my bad english)

When i put in Parameter 3D, i have c:\program fils... ..... ....

But not for the other programs, the others programs, i have only the title of the programs.

Is it not the problem ?

GelatoDinosaur
03-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Im having the same problem.

Macbook Pro With Windows 7
Intel i5 2.6 GHz
8GB RAM
Intel HD 4000 graphics

a5hr4f
03-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Same problem for me lenovo u310 touch intel hd graphics 4000 trial evolution gold works fine though

FR_Dam143
03-24-2014, 08:10 PM
The same problem is happening to me
Welcome to the club guys!!

My config : A brand-new gaming laptop worth almost 1000$
A laptop that runs 60fps sec. every single game out of the 50 I own on PC (thanks Steam sales) ranging from Dark Souls, Tomb Raider and Bioshock to indie titles such as Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami, etc..

Model : HP Envy TS 15 Notebook
CPU : Intel Core I-7 4700MQ
GPU : Geforce GT740M
Integrated Graphic Card : Intel HD Graphics 4600
Ram : 16 GB of Ram

What it does to me :

Game is sluggish as soon as it boots, giving me no hope of a pleasant experience even when it's just Ubi and Redlynx logo showing up

Playing a track is impossible as it's not loading the textures properly, and also because the game runs in slow motion, each second taking 2 or more.

As I mentionned in the other topic, it's properly unnacceptable. I know it's just a beta and beta are here to find some glitches and bugs, but it makes me question your work ethics :

- How is it possible that you guys already struggled with integrate card + geforce cardI rigs when Trials Gold was released, and not only you never completely handled it, but now you're releasing your next product and it only became worst to a point where my 20$ are worth nothing ??

- How is it possible that before releasing the beta, you didn't test your product by making it run on at least a dozen different rigs ?? Sorry to repeat myself, but in 2014, a Laptop with dedicated cards including a GeForce is so freaking common ! That's what all the manufacturers are producing for their mid-high range gaming laptops ! Knowing that it was already a problem in your previous Trials, how did you manage to just forget about testing those setups ?? :(

Those 2 factors together, combined to the fact that everyone else in your business manage to avoid those drastic failures to deliver, makes me honeslty not feel the most optimistic ATM.

I spent a lot of time trying to find the fix myself, playing with the NVidia Panel, turning on and off auto select/intel/nvidia settings or trying to make exceptions for Trials Fusion.exe, etc...

At some point, don't ask me how, one config made me boot the game fluently, I was so relieved but then.... game crashes on title screen !! Again and again and again
Am I just under the perspective of having a fluent game that crashes on title screen or a game that boots up but doesn't load textures and run 3 times too slow ?

It's time to show up on this topic Ubi/Redlynx!! Or maybe to give up on stupid Uplay interface ??

Reason I'm saying this is because I try to add Uplay as an exception in the Nvidia Control Panel, and force it ro run on the Geforce740M
Then, somehow, because Uplay was forced to run on the high graphic cards, it made the Trials Fusion exception have also the Geforce740M as an auto-select.

Before, when auto-select was choosed for TrialsFusion.exe, the auto-select was choosing the integrated graphic cards 4000, not the Nvidia one. Seems like TrialsFusion is kinda following what Uplay is doing, which could explain the issue here.

And assuming that the dev team didn't test the game while it was running through Uplay, that could explain why that issue show up after the release of the beta.

Leads of solution for Redlynx, Ubi and the poor fellows like me :

Maybe the problem is that, under NvidiaControl Panel, when we choose the default auto-select option for TrialsFusion.exe, it chooses the Integrated Graphic Cards and not the powerful one. That might be what need to be changed here Redlynx, and also making sure Uplay doesn't create an interference to that.

I looked at my other games on Nvidia Control Panels, all the ones that use a lot of ressources end up with the Nvidia Card when I choose the auto-select detection.

To make it more simple :

What doesn't work on the Nvidia Control Panel for the Trials Fusion.exe :
- Auto-Select : Integrated Graphics (default option that scew us all)
- High Performance NVidia Processor (doesn't work as Trials Fusion looks like it doesn't like beinf forced to choose an option)
- Integrated Graphics (doesn't work for obvious reasons as it's the cheap card that is not meant to be use for intensive tasks)

What might work if patched :
-Auto-Select : High Performance Nvida Processor

If Trials Fusion use the Nvidia Processor as a consequence of an auto-select, not something forced by the user, then it looks like the game is not sluggish anymore

I won't be able to tell you if it loads texture and offer optimal experience in game, because as I mentionned before, it makes my game crash on Title Screen !! :mad:

Please Redlynx, don't look away at the crashing on title screen issue, its really bad too....
I have the gut feeling, that if the game was not running through the Uplay Interface, those issues we all have will be non-existent (see above to understand why)

You wanted feedback, you got it. Now I think we all want to hear YOUR feedback Redlynx ;)

I don't like paying 20 box for something that fail to deliver.

I hope those descrptions will help you to locate the problem.
The only thing you should be aiming for is a fluent and flawless experience for Users with integrated+dedicated card! It's 2014 and only you guys have that issue with your game, ask some advice to other PC developpers if you need to, but please look after us !

That issue is not defendable for a team who had the experience from the previous Trials PC, who is under the giant Ubisoft now, and who charge 20$ their customers for the experience. You make the greateast physics-based games ever, please don't forget about releasing a reliable product for consumer experience!

Waiting for feedback, patches, answers, proof of brainstorming, anything from the team

Wish you all a great day though! :)

Sincerely

diggler08
03-24-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm with you FR_Dam on most of your points, really looking for some feedback from the UBI/ Redlynx. I have finally got some tech support from UBI and sent in my dxdiag and msinfo and they are looking into it. So that's positive.
I'm curious about your SLI setup, I looked up your laptop and didn't see that it came with 2 gpu's... Correct me if I'm wrong but SLI (Scalable Link Interface) requires 2 or more gpu's.

MrTataf
03-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Me too, i have a pc of more 1000$, and i can't play at this game....

Robias2008
03-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Im having the same issue with the graphics and my drivers are all up to date.
$2500 laptop
im running Alienware 17
geforce 770
32 gig ram
and still nothing but blocked graphics.... I do realize it is a beta but this is a issue that should have been looked at before you release a beta to the public, and in all fairness we did pay to play the game.

FR_Dam143
03-25-2014, 06:22 AM
I'm with you FR_Dam on most of your points, really looking for some feedback from the UBI/ Redlynx. I have finally got some tech support from UBI and sent in my dxdiag and msinfo and they are looking into it. So that's positive.
I'm curious about your SLI setup, I looked up your laptop and didn't see that it came with 2 gpu's... Correct me if I'm wrong but SLI (Scalable Link Interface) requires 2 or more gpu's.

No, you're perfectly right diggler!

I'm no expert in graphic cards at all, and I thought that SLI meant having 2 different graphic cards, like me with the HD Intel 4000 (integrated) and the Geforce one (dedicated)
But no, SLI means having 2 identical graphic cards !

Thx man, I edited my post and I'll go to bed smarter than when I woke up :p
Maybe one of those days, we'll actually all go to bed after playing Trials Fusion lol

BargleFlargle
03-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Same boat as everyone else.

i7 - 1.8ghz
8gb RAM
GeForce 750M
Win 8

Selecting 'high-performance Nvidia processor' worked for Trials: Gold Edition but not this, I don't know if this is because it's still in beta but it's frustrating, to say the least, that the official stance of Ubisoft/Red Lynx appears to be, 'We're not supporting laptop graphics cards.'
(Cards that are supported include: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series, AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD 6000, HD 7000 series)

Hopefully they will come up with a fix as there appears to be enough of us suffering with the problem for it to be addressed.

http://flarglebargle.imgur.com/all/

diggler08
03-25-2014, 05:07 PM
According to this forum post a patch will be released this Friday, here's hoping it fixes this issue.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863783-Patch-Notes
Also I think that if everyone starts seeking tech support on this issue here (have your dxdiag and msinfo32 ready to submit) we might get some better results.
https://support.ubi.com/en-US/AskQuestion.aspx#platformid=9&productid=4293

FR_Dam143
03-25-2014, 09:33 PM
I've just done that myself!

I hope it will be resolved by the patch coming up on the 28th but once again I'm not too optimistic.
This topic is 3 pages long already and no official has come back to give us anything about it or even a slight feeling of consideration..

On the other hand, they use their precious time to create a topic about "Known issues" that doesn't help anyone really.

Irony is it's only including the Steam issue that popped-up very recently and way after our issue ahah.
Not good with making PC games and not good with communication apparently... oh well

Fingers crossed but really, what a shame the way this beta is going..

diggler08
03-26-2014, 01:58 AM
So I have gone through with UBI Tech support over the last few days and the were unable to solve my issue. This is what they have come back to me with:

"I spoke with our Game lead for Fusion and this is an issue he's aware of. When I mentioned it to him, he already knew you had a geforce mobile card and an intel HD card without even needing to ask. He said that it has to do with Optimus using the Intel card instead of the Geforce. It is something the developers are looking into and should be fixed in time for the game release. So for now, there's nothing else you and I can do in regards to trouble shooting. I apologize for the inconvenience, but the game is Beta so this sort of thing is kind of expected."

So I am no longer optimistic that the patch on Friday will solves our troubles. Not exactly the answer I was looking for but I will wait for the final release and hope its solved. Otherwise I will be demanding a refund.

sebastianaalton
03-26-2014, 08:35 AM
We are sorry that we didn't notice this problem during the game development.

Some laptops with combined discrete Nvidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU use a technology called Nvidia Optimus. This technology will automatically select the integrated Intel GPU for light applications to save battery life of your laptop. Unfortunately Nvidia Optimus technology doesn't yet have an application profile for Trials Fusion because the game has not yet been released (we are in closed beta).

Because of the missing profile, Optimus always seems to select the integrated Intel GPU instead of the Nvidia Geforce, and unfortunately the Intel GPU doesn't meet the minimum required specifications to run Trials Fusion properly.

We have been in contact with Nvidia about this issue and we will update you when the Optimus profile is available.

Locks04
03-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Thank you for the update on the issue.

Everyone having this problem, I have a solution, before the patch comes out.

Go in your Nvidia controle panel / 3d settings / Global settnngs / your Nvidia card.

Now the game should run normally but your Nvisia GPU will always be On .

It worked for me so I hope it will be the same for everyone.

Matthew514
03-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the update on the issue.

Everyone having this problem, I have a solution, before the patch comes out.

Go in your Nvidia controle panel / 3d settings / Global settnngs / your Nvidia card.

Now the game should run normally but your Nvisia GPU will always be On .

It worked for me so I hope it will be the same for everyone.

I tried changing the global settings like you said, and I've still got the same problem. I'm just glad that the devs said that it will be working by release date. Beta progress won't be saved anyway, so it's not much of a loss on a game that I'll be playing for months.

FR_Dam143
03-26-2014, 11:26 AM
We are sorry that we didn't notice this problem during the game development.

Some laptops with combined discrete Nvidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU use a technology called Nvidia Optimus. This technology will automatically select the integrated Intel GPU for light applications to save battery life of your laptop. Unfortunately Nvidia Optimus technology doesn't yet have an application profile for Trials Fusion because the game has not yet been released (we are in closed beta).

Because of the missing profile, Optimus always seems to select the integrated Intel GPU instead of the Nvidia Geforce, and unfortunately the Intel GPU doesn't meet the minimum required specifications to run Trials Fusion properly.

We have been in contact with Nvidia about this issue and we will update you when the Optimus profile is available.

Thanks for stopping here to keep us informed sebastian, it's gonna be easier to be patient now !

It's strange though that Fusion doesn't like anything but the optimus auto-select option and can't deal with the user manually atributting the geforce to run the game..
I also wonder why the time I forced uplay to run through the Nvidia Card, at first game appeared smooth during the boot and then crashed on title screen but oh well..

Good to know that it's looked into by the team ;)

Locks04
03-26-2014, 12:56 PM
I tried changing the global settings like you said, and I've still got the same problem. I'm just glad that the devs said that it will be working by release date. Beta progress won't be saved anyway, so it's not much of a loss on a game that I'll be playing for months.

My Bad, I still have the same problem.

In fact the game runs nicely only when I'm playing on my external HDMI screen.
I think when the PC is on Dual Screen mode the nvidia GPU manage the hdmi and the Intel GPU is for the laptop screen.

sebastianaalton
03-27-2014, 03:43 PM
We have found a code fix for the Nvidia Optimus issue (Geforce + Intel integrated). Now the game always selects the Geforce GPU. This fix will be integrated to Friday's patch or the next one. I will keep you informed.

MrTataf
03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
I installed the last patch, and i have again this bug :(

diggler08
03-28-2014, 10:21 PM
I can also confirm that this latest patch does not fix my graphics issue. I hope the next patch is released soon with this fix.

besmen42
03-30-2014, 02:39 AM
I have the same texture bugs on my laptop but im using a AMD Radeon HD8970M (and Intel HD4600).
CPU is Intel i7 4700MQ @ 2.4 GHz and i got 8Gb RAM.

Just bought the game on Steam today.

sebastianaalton
03-30-2014, 10:15 AM
The bug has been identified. The game asks the GPU video from the wrong GPU on systems with multiple GPUs. As Intel's integrated GPU has no dedicated memory, the game incorrectly assumes there's no memory to store the textures, and this causes breaks texture streaming. Fix for this bug is already in testing. We will include it in the next patch.

mutetus
03-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Also make sure you have latest drivers/have cleaned all previous drivers. I encountered the same texture issue on my home PC too, with ancient radeon drivers and one GPU, but after cleaning all previous and installing new drivers everything was ok.

Wagzy69
03-31-2014, 08:05 AM
Thought I might add to this thread.

I've taken my 780 ti out of my rig to be sent back for a new one, and I'm now using the Intel 4600 integrated graphics. When loading the game it starts in a weird resolution, and in the settings I can't change the resolution any higher than 1440x576.

When playing I get the weird textures, slow-mo gameplay at around 47 fps, which most people are encountering. I'll add that my computer is a Desktop not a laptop :)

Hope this helps in some way.

Current rig:
Intel core i7 4770k
Asus Hero Mobo
8gb ram

Yakkery
04-01-2014, 02:08 PM
This information from sebastianaalton was over at the No 1080p thread and should clear up some info here:

"There were THREE bugs that caused these issues. We only fixed one of them in the Friday's patch. Fixes for the remaining two will be in the forthcoming patch.

1. Game detects GPU memory size incorrectly if multiple GPUs are present. Integrated GPU has no dedicated memory, so our texture streaming system gets broken.
2. Intel integrated GPUs have additional texture corruption bug caused by GPU floating point rounding issue.
3. On NVIDIA Optimus laptops (integrated GPU + GeForce) the wrong GPU was selected.

We fixed number 3 in the patch. The frame rate is now 60 fps in the game, and you have helped me with NVIDIA Inspector to prove that the GeForce GPU is actually used. Bug 2 doesn't affect Optimus laptops, but bug 1 certainly does. This causes the textures to be corrupted also on the GeForce (and limit the resolution to 720p). We will fix bugs 1 & 2 in the forthcoming patch."

Xhane
04-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Thanks for re-sharing!

FR_Dam143
04-04-2014, 06:35 AM
I'll repost what I said in the other topic, hoping it will get to Seb's ears this time and maybe others can run the sametest and post their feedback.

You may want to double-check if bug 3 (Optimus) is really fixed Seb

As of today, If i go to my Nvidia Control Panel, put everything on auto-select, then go on program settings and add the trialsfusion.exe, it still says the following :

Use Global Setting (Auto-Select: Integrated)

Maybe others in the same situation could do the same test and confirm it, but that's how it looks on my hand ;)

Once again, bug 3 is not fixed by the patch as far as I'm concerned

sebastianaalton
04-04-2014, 03:05 PM
New patch is now out. Please update and test! Hopefully it fixes the problem :)

Matthew514
04-04-2014, 10:52 PM
The patch did fix the graphics problem and the game looks great! Thanks!

MrTataf
04-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Problems fixed, thx :)

FR_Dam143
04-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Yes problems fixed for me too, great job redlynx ! :D

The game is becoming playable for me for the first time since the beta launched, I'm gonna check that out tonight!

Few thoughts though :

- Game is fluent only if I turn V-Sync off, delivering then a constant 59/60FPS seconds at full speed (1second=1 second). It was the same thing regarding the V-sync with Evo Gold for me, not quite sure why my laptop doesn't like Trials and V-Sync together, none of my other games do that. Not a big issue though.

-I'm actually going low settings and 800x600 at the moment, maybe with more performance optimization in future patches, I'll be able to go up to 1200x860 as its quite good too atm.

- Here is the important one Seb : under the Nvidia Control Panel, it stills says in the settings for trialsfusion.exe :
trialsfusion,.exe : Use Global Setting (Auto-Select: Integrated)

Now I know that obviously the last patch forces the game to use the Nvidia High-End processor, otherwise the game wouldn't run on my computer.
But for example, the loading screens are still very laggy and not fluent, like there is a conflict somewhere.
Back when I was doing some testing in the Nvidia Panel, one day I was somehow (don't ask me how) able to get the following setup :

Use Global Setting (Auto-Select: High Performance Nvidia Processor)

When I ran the game that one time, the loading screens and animations at the beginning were displayed really fluently for the first time. The game crashed on Title Screen though.

My point is that I think there could still be a big performance gain if you could release a Nvidia profile for Trials Fusion, that would select the right processor directly through the Nvidia software, not just forced upon execution by trialsfusion.exe. Is that something you guys are considering for the future ?

Would be nice if others could do the test to go under NvidiaControl Panel , program settings, add trialsfusion.exe, and see if it says auto select (integrated) or auto select (nvidia processor). See if it's just me or what

Hope to hear from you about that Seb, cuz I think it would really be worth it performance-wise to get to the bottom of that Optimus issue, but once again thanks so much for looking after us and making the game playable atm :D

sebastianaalton
04-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Problems fixed, thx :)

Yes problems fixed for me too, great job redlynx ! :D

The game is becoming playable for me for the first time since the beta launched, I'm gonna check that out tonight!
Good to hear that the graphics corruption issues have been solved!

Big thanks for helping me to find the issue.

-I'm actually going low settings and 800x600 at the moment, maybe with more performance optimization in future patches, I'll be able to go up to 1200x860 as its quite good too atm.

- Here is the important one Seb : under the Nvidia Control Panel, it stills says in the settings for trialsfusion.exe :
trialsfusion,.exe : Use Global Setting (Auto-Select: Integrated)

Now I know that obviously the last patch forces the game to use the Nvidia High-End processor, otherwise the game wouldn't run on my computer.
It seems that on your computer the game is still running on the integrated Intel GPU. After the latest optimizations Intel HD 4600 is actually able to run the game smoothly at low resolutions (such as 800x600). We still do not officially support Intel GPUs as they haven't gone through full tests.

On my Optimus test laptop the game runs smoothly (60 fps) at 1600x900 in all levels (low settings). My GeForce 650M should be pretty much identical in performance to your GeForce 740M according to benchmarks around the internet. So I don't think the game is using the GeForce on your computer for some reason.

Back when I was doing some testing in the Nvidia Panel, one day I was somehow (don't ask me how) able to get the following setup :

Use Global Setting (Auto-Select: High Performance Nvidia Processor)

When I ran the game that one time, the loading screens and animations at the beginning were displayed really fluently for the first time. The game crashed on Title Screen though.
This seems to be the first time the game was actually using the GeForce on your computer. Have you updated both the drivers of your GeForce and Intel GPU? Which driver versions are installed? Did you get any error message popup when the game crashed?

On my laptop, the game will always select the GeForce if "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor" has been selected from the NVIDIA control panel. I set it from "Manage 3d Settings" -> "Global Settings" -> "Preferred Graphics Processor". I don't have any Optimus game profile installed on my laptop either.

On my Optimus laptop, "Auto-select" also now picks the GeForce (the first patch fixed this). Intel GPU is only chosen if I select "Integrated graphics" from the "Global Settings" -> "Preferred Graphics Processor". This is easy to check. Set the game rendering resolution to 1600x900 (low settings) and if it runs smoothly, you are definitely running on the GeForce.

If you are running any external displays (or HDMI connected to TV), please unplug them, so we can be sure that this is not causing the issue. Also changing the preferred graphics processor when the game or Uplay client is running doesn't apply until you close them and restart the game and Uplay. Just to be 100% sure you could also try rebooting the computer after changing the NVIDIA control panel settings.

Also please check the NVIDIA control panel that you are using default 3d-settings. It can be found in the same "Global Settings" tab as the preferred GPU. There's a big list of settings, and at the bottom of the screen there's a button named "Restore". Press it and it should return the 3d-settings to defaults. This might solve the crash issue, if there's a compatibility problem between some NVIDIA 3d-setting and our game.

Also check that your laptop is connected to the power supply. On my Optimus laptop the game slows down considerably (and screen gets dimmed) if the laptop is running on battery. Most likely some power saving setting is causing this. You could also try changing the power saving settings, so that we know that they are not causing the problem. Go to Windows control panel -> "Hardware and Sound" -> "Power Options". Click "Show addional plans" and select "High performance".

Thanks for being a big help in our investigation!

FR_Dam143
04-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Hi again Seb!

I just tried to do the 1600x900 test and it turned out..,. I couldn't.
The maximum resolution I have available is 1366x768
Is it because the computer still runs on the integrated card? Maybe that info will make sense to you

So for the sake of it, I tried the 1366x768 resolution anywat and it turned out you're probably right : the game drops at 50 fps and becomes unplayable (slowmotion feeling)

I checked all the things in your message regarding Nvidia settings (all default), external displays, comnputer rebooted, it's all good on that side.
Same for the drivers, if I go under Geforce Experience, it tells me my drivers are up to date (335.23)

Or is it the first patch (I seem to remember something about access to higher resolutions) that wouldn't apply properly on my computer ?
I still think its bebause its using integrated graphics that don't offer those resolutions, but you'll tell me better :D

FR_Dam143
04-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Oh and something new and kinda weird yet promising

I tried to play around again and put trialsfusion,exe not anymore as auto-select : integrated but as force high performance Nvidia. I kept the global settings as auto-select of course.

It turns outs the game plays great, with still some issues :

A) Still no choice of resolutions higher than 1366x768

B) FPS stats goes like this :
1366x768 : 53-60
1280x720 : 57-60 mostly
1024x768 : 59-60 FPS :cool:

From playing the (awesome) track Sheer Pressure

C) Loading Screens/Animations still lagging and looking like the game is considering crashing as an option lol. Everything gets normal after loading uplay profile though.

Pretty sure with those FPS rates, its the Nvidia GPU that successfully take over when forced in the programms settings for trialsfusion,exe.
But still doesn't function at full potential

:confused:

PS ; the game itself seems fantastic, I just hope for cross-platform Track Central feature added later, to make it the definitive trials , ,

sebastianaalton
04-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I tried to play around again and put trialsfusion,exe not anymore as auto-select : integrated but as force high performance Nvidia. I kept the global settings as auto-select of course.
Did you try changing the global setting as well (and rebooting the game after the change)?

no choice of resolutions higher than 1366x768
The game no longer filters out any resolutions. It lets you select every resolution your graphics card supports. What is your laptop's native display resolution?

Right click on desktop. Select "Screen Resolution":
1. Do you only see one display in the setup screen?
2. Click on "Identify". Do you get a big "1" on your laptop screen?
3. Click on "Advanced settings" and in the adapter tab click "List All Modes". Do you see higher resolutions than 1366x768 in the list?

On my Optimus laptop it lets me select all resolutions from 320x200 to 1920x1080 on both the Intel GPU and the GeForce. Obviously the Intel GPU is dead slow at 1920x1080, but the GeForce 650M actually manages to run some levels at 60 fps (but I prefer 1600x900, because it's perfectly smooth 60 fps everywhere).

B) FPS stats goes like this :
1366x768 : 53-60
1280x720 : 57-60 mostly
1024x768 : 59-60 FPS :cool:

From playing the (awesome) track Sheer Pressure

Pretty sure with those FPS rates, its the Nvidia GPU that successfully take over when forced in the programms settings for trialsfusion,exe.
Those numbers could still be from the Intel HD 4600. I have Intel HD 4000 in my laptop, and your HD 4600 is around 50% faster than mine according to some comparisons. My integrated GPU runs some levels at 60 fps using 640x480 resolution, so it could be possible that your faster integrated GPU actually manages to run 1024x768 smoothly. Obviously none of this was possible with the first beta build (after the two patches, the game now runs around 40% faster on low settings than before).

Did you have some tools installed that let you confirm that the GeForce is used?

C) Loading Screens/Animations still lagging and looking like the game is considering crashing as an option lol. Everything gets normal after loading uplay profile though.
We have a known issue slowing down loading from hard drive (affecting start up loading and texture streaming). This fix will be included in a later patch.

PS ; the game itself seems fantastic
Thanks!

FR_Dam143
04-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Did you try changing the global setting as well (and rebooting the game after the change)?

Yep, I tried that and as long as trialsfusion.exe is forced to the Nvidia, there are no changes noticable between global auto-select or global-Nvidia
I added Trials Evolution Gold just to verify, and Evo Gold is getting the auto-select : Nvidia I'm looking for Fusion, if that matters !

The game no longer filters out any resolutions. It lets you select every resolution your graphics card supports. What is your laptop's native display resolution?

Right click on desktop. Select "Screen Resolution":
1. Do you only see one display in the setup screen?
2. Click on "Identify". Do you get a big "1" on your laptop screen?
3. Click on "Advanced settings" and in the adapter tab click "List All Modes". Do you see higher resolutions than 1366x768 in the list?

So I only get one display, the HD Intel one, it does give me the big 1.
And when I go under all modes, the highest resolution is 1366x768.

Now something interesting : If I click on detect, it finds two "another display not detected" boxes, one being the Nvida and the other being the Intel one.
If I choose the Nvidia one and then pick Try to connect anyway to VGA" under multiple displays" its asking me to apply the changes before going further.
Once I've done that, I choose "extend these displays" and apply one more time. The laptop then seems to switch mode.

I see my wallpaper but all the desktops icons are gone. After about 20 seconds or a click on the "esc" button it automatically goes back to original display as it seems to not function properly. Anyway, during those 20 seconds, any applications I start is not displayed as well, probably cuz its on the primary screen, not the virtual nvidia vga one.

Funny thing though is that the first time I tried those settings, it didn't glitch and I was able to apply the changes. Then I was able to tick the option :ma.ke this my main display". That time I was able to play Fusion, definitely looking like it's using the Nvidia card, but resolution was messed up and game windows was not centered and going away from the screen. That one time, I was able to find Nvidia resolutions under screen resolutions and to access resolutions like 1600x900 etc,, even from the Fusion menus in game.

It was only that one time though, as mentionned above,, now I can't apply those changes at all. It tries, fails and send me back to original display setup every single time. Hope this is not too much off-topic regarding Fusion, but I thought It might tell you some info about the issue. It's not a good alternative anyway as all the icons dissapeared and there's gotta be something better than creating a virtual VGA second screen lol.

Those numbers could still be from the Intel HD 4600. I have Intel HD 4000 in my laptop, and your HD 4600 is around 50% faster than mine according to some comparisons. My integrated GPU runs some levels at 60 fps using 640x480 resolution, so it could be possible that your faster integrated GPU actually manages to run 1024x768 smoothly. Obviously none of this was possible with the first beta build (after the two patches, the game now runs around 40% faster on low settings than before).

Did you have some tools installed that let you confirm that the GeForce is used?

I think you're right and it's still the Intel HD running the game, even after forcing fusion,exe to use High Performance Nvidia Processor, which doesn't make sense :(

I don't have any tool to check Nvidia Usage, which one do you suggest so we find out once and for all what's going on ?

I did download something called Nvidia Inspector, and there is a graphic stats screen which goes all the way to 100% when the game is running, only saying GPU0 though.
That might be the Intel GPU but why would it be displayed under a Nvidia oriented software. I don't get it, I'm very confused at this point

Do you think it will be the "Geforce Experience" software (that I used to make sure I have the latest drivers) overriding settings and messing things up ?
I did some google research last night, someone was mentionning a potential hidden profile saved for Nvidia panel, something different than the "base profile" ?

And one last thing, Uplay games do the weirdest thing on the program settings for Nvidia Control Panel :
- some programs I added manually for custom settings end up dissapearring randomly from the list almost every day
- I add Trials Evo Gold Appplication, and 50% of the time, it adds something totally different to the list "Antichamber.exe" or "blitzkriegIII.exe" a game I didn't know even existed until its name popped up on my laptop!

Did Trials Evo Gold ever got a Nvidia profile ? I'm curious at why Evo gets Nvidia assigned for Auto-Select and not Fusion, its' weird.
One last thought though : Evo Gold runs through Steam Client + Uplay Client, Fusion has been bought directly from the Ubi Store, so it only goes through Uplay client, not Steam.

Would it be Uplay settings alone that screw fusion.exe and not evogold because that one runs through Steam first ?

Too many leads to follow, almost no certainty, I will shut up now and wait for your recommandation on what to do next.

But thanks again Seb for not giving up on my case :)
I hope soon I'll be able to use the potential of my laptop for Fusion, the 1024x768 low settings is a decent alternative but it gets old really fast :p

kalianhagle
04-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Those of you that still got this problem with trials insisting on running on the integrated graphics - are you on windows 8.1?
This may be a shot in the dark but, I have a friend who had similar issues, although with another game (diablo 3). It would only run on integrated graphics, so it was slow and with bad fps. He tried many solutions to fix the problem but the only thing that fixed it was uninstalling the windows 8.1 update. Don't ask me how or why, I don't know, but it works for him now, the game runs on the dedicated GPU and is smooth. Maybe you could try this. But don't blame me if it does nothing:)

Here's his help thread on reddit for a bit more insight. http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/227ndn/switchable_graphics_laptop_just_wont_use_my_amd/

FR_Dam143
04-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Ok I kept trying different stuff and testing a bit of every combination and here is something more clear and simple I came to conclude (you can pretty much disregard the previous message completely) :

- The Nvidia Control Panel has NO impact (with the current build) on the way the game end up running.
Wether it's global or program settings, auto-select or nvidia, it's still the same 60FPS@1024x768 with max resolution limited to 1366x768 .
Running on the Intel integrated gpu.

-To go further, I would say anything I do as far as trying to manually set the game to use the nvidia gpu, doesn't change anything to the way the game runs.
To give the example of the one thing I had most hope for, among everything I've tried :
I went into.the game files and right click on trialsfusion in the datapack.
I picked the option : run with graphic processor >>>> and choosed the High perf. Nvidia, so right from the source of the file.
And still, no changes.

I wonder if it's Uplay screwing the whole thing by being the client the game runs through.
It seems that Diablo III has the same issue, thx to kalian post and links that I tried. I don't play that game but wont be surprised if it also run through a client software similiar to Uplay.

I also put my global settings to single display performance as the default one was the multi-display I don't need.

Oh and last thing that almost contradict the stuff above.
On the Nvidia Panel, I activated the Display GPU Activity Icon in the notification area option (under "desktop" at the top)
It gives me an icon showing the Nvidia GPU Activity
And when Fusion is running it gives me this :

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/942239trials.jpg

So as far as what the Nvidia GPU Software thinks, it's being used by the game

:confused:

Yet, what happens effectively (just proved (max 1366x768 Res available for example) is that the game don't recognize the Nvidia and only use the Intel HD.

sebastianaalton
04-06-2014, 02:46 PM
So I only get one display, the HD Intel one, it does give me the big 1.
And when I go under all modes, the highest resolution is 1366x768.
That's quite odd... Windows's own display adapter screen even cannot find resolutions beyond 1366x768 on your laptop. I don't think the game can find them either in this case. If we can find a solution that fixes the resolution list on Windows display adapter settings, I am pretty sure the game will show all the resolutions as well.

Please start some other game, and check if it allows selecting resolutions higher than 1366x768. This is a good way to confirm if this issue affects other games as well.

If this issue only affects Fusion, you can try to rename the game executable name to "bf3.exe". This way it should use an existing Optimus profile. I don't know if this helps, but I read around the internet that it has helped in some games.

Now something interesting : If I click on detect, it finds two "another display not detected" boxes, one being the Nvida and the other being the Intel one. If I choose the Nvidia one and then pick Try to connect anyway to VGA" under multiple displays" its asking me to apply the changes before going further.
Once I've done that, I choose "extend these displays" and apply one more time. The laptop then seems to switch mode.
This is also strange... my Optimus laptop (ASUS) doesn't behave like this. I think the displays are somehow configured in an odd way.

Do you think it will be the "Geforce Experience" software (that I used to make sure I have the latest drivers) overriding settings and messing things up ? I did some google research last night, someone was mentionning a potential hidden profile saved for Nvidia panel, something different than the "base profile" ?
You can try to uninstall this, and reboot your computer. It might help. I have heard about compatibility problems with these kinds of programs.

And one last thing, Uplay games do the weirdest thing on the program settings for Nvidia Control Panel :
- some programs I added manually for custom settings end up dissapearring randomly from the list almost every day
- I add Trials Evo Gold Appplication, and 50% of the time, it adds something totally different to the list "Antichamber.exe" or "blitzkriegIII.exe" a game I didn't know even existed until its name popped up on my laptop!
It's possible that Optimus cannot track the games properly, when a launcher application is used. Do you have similar problems with Steam games or other Uplay games? Do you see resolutions beyond 1366x768 in these games?

Would it be Uplay settings alone that screw fusion.exe and not evogold because that one runs through Steam first ?
I did quick searching around the Ubisoft forums, and seems that Might and Magic had some problems on Optimus laptops. Disabling the Uplay overlay fixed the problem. You could try the same thing.

More info in these threads:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/768889-Possible-workaround-for-startup-black-screen-and-splash-image-freezes
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/712562-Are-you-still-experiencing-the-quot-black-screen-quot-issue/page18

FR_Dam143
04-12-2014, 08:01 AM
It's been a while, but I found out something that turns the issue into something more "simple"
It turns out 1366x768 IS my maximum resolution, only because of my monitor !

39.6 cm (15.6") HD BrightView LED-backlit Touchscreen (1366 x 768)
Specs from the HP Store Page I bought the laptop from (http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5395383#!tab=specs)

So that 1366x768 max.res is not proving the game only use the HD Intel 4000 as we thought

But It still looks like the Nvidia is not used for two reasons :
1/ Game drops at 52 FPS on lowest setting 1366x768, the Geforce GT740M should do much better than that
2/ Under Nvidia Control Panel , trialsfusion,exe still has the Auto-Select : Use integrated processor

All my other ressource-consuming games all get Auto-Select : Use High Graphic Performance processor,
including Trials Evolution Gold !

Why does Gold has no issue detecting the best option being the Nvidia Card and Fusion doesnt manage to achieve that is the 100$ question :D
Answering that quesion will probably bring the answer about solving that issue.

It basically looks like whatever patch 1 fixed didn't apply to my computer :confused:
Why just me? That's another 100$ question lol

Tell me if you need more testing or have more ideas!
and thx again!

PS : Just an Idea, I'm not a dev and have no idea if it's something easy to implement or not : what about an in-game or pre-game menu with option to choose which graphic card you want to use, directly from the application ? That would solve it all :p

sebastianaalton
04-12-2014, 10:05 AM
It's been a while, but I found out something that turns the issue into something more "simple"
It turns out 1366x768 IS my maximum resolution, only because of my monitor !
That's good to hear. So no bug in resolution selection then...

what about an in-game or pre-game menu with option to choose which graphic card you want to use, directly from the application ? That would solve it all :p
Unfortunately this doesn't work with NVIDIA Optimus technology. Optimus itself chooses one GPU and hides the other from the program. When we ask DirectX the list of GPUs, we only see one GPU in the list (the one selected by Optimus). So the menu would only show one GPU.

We will add the name of the active GPU to the video settings screen in a future patch. This allows us to verify whether the game is using Intel GPU or GeForce on your computer.

FR_Dam143
04-16-2014, 09:32 PM
That sound good. Thanks Seb, I'll be waiting for that option in the future patch or even better just a performance fix.

PS : I understand the original issue from this topic was solved, for most but still mine is not.
And that thread has been used for few pages now and I gave a lot of feedback to get things forward for everyone.
So it's a bit insulting from whoever moderator put this topic as [SOLVED].

You don't get rid of your paying customers like that sir.

IT IS NOT SOLVED !! :mad:

sebastianaalton
04-20-2014, 05:25 AM
PS : I understand the original issue from this topic was solved, for most but still mine is not.
The graphics corruption issue and the resolution issue were both solved. Please continue the performance issue discussion in the two other threads about this topic. There are other players with the same issue there. We try to find a way to fix this.

FR_Dam143
04-21-2014, 02:40 AM
Sound good! Thx again for looking into this