PDA

View Full Version : ACU Protagonist = Templar?

Codarsnacht
03-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Hi,

Not sure if this has been mentioned or whatever, but what if Arno/Arnaud is actually a Templar? It'd be strange for Ubi to showcase a Templar as the protagonist in the first trailer.. but how do we know he is the protagonist?

Are there any Assassin symbols on him? Maybe I've missed them? It doesn't seem like he has hidden blades. And the colour of his robes are very unusual. Then again, he does have a hood...

IDK, just putting this out there. Speculation speculation :p

GreySkellig
03-21-2014, 10:55 PM
It is a fair point that he's missing every Assassin indicator other than the hood...which is not exactly something the Assassins have a monopoly on. My guess is that it's still veeeery early in the design process on his character. Ubisoft seems behind on the normal schedule--and who can blame them, with another AC, the tail end of Watch_Dogs, AND The Division all drawing on the same types of resources?

killzab
03-21-2014, 11:09 PM
IT would be extremely interesting.

JarekKorczynski
Hate to quote myself, but this was my first impression after those screens leaked. No visible symbols, no hidden blades (wouldn't know how they'd be possible with those leather gloves...), plus the colours seem to be recurent... blue/brown/gold...

There, fixed it a bit for you.
The sash is there, but I see no emblem.. anyway, lapels and linings are red as well;

http://i58.tinypic.com/e0l4et.png

The hood is... well.. bizzare...
Maybe it's not even an Assassin - colours of the outfit make me think of Haytham and Madeleine rather than what we've grown used to (shades of white).

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121216130425/assassinscreed/images/e/e5/DeFerrerDatabase.png
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131221121937/assassinscreed/pl/images/3/36/AC3_Haytham_Kenway_render.png
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140215003605/assassinscreed/images/f/f9/Templar_Madeleine_de_L%27Isle_-_Concept_Art.jpg

Plus, the red sash seems also to be something Assassin's have no monoply for:
Grand Master Torres' sash (http://25.media.tumblr.com/f3a2a61ffa7304d4f25dbf3e92996cb0/tumblr_mz2a9qkSnr1suqbi7o7_1280.jpg)
Cesare Borgia's sash (http://files.assassins-creed-cz.webnode.cz/200000004-058e706885/33b5b3fb3c_81571333_o2.jpg)
Charles Lee's sash (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121206170531/assassinscreed/images/a/a5/Charles_Lee_texrip.png)
John Pitcairn's sash (http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130726151912/assassinscreed/images/5/56/AC3_John_Pitcairn_render.png)

;)

JustPlainQuirky
He has the hood

He has the sash

Unless he (or she) is a templar in disguise, it's safe to assume he/she is an assassin.

frodrigues55
03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
It is a fair point that he's missing every Assassin indicator other than the hood...which is not exactly something the Assassins have a monopoly on. My guess is that it's still veeeery early in the design process on his character. Ubisoft seems behind on the normal schedule--and who can blame them, with another AC, the tail end of Watch_Dogs, AND The Division all drawing on the same types of resources?

They are barely behind in my opinion, the reveal came less than a month after AC3 and 4, but still months before than Brotherhood and Revelation, lol. These things are more connected to marketing strategy than with the development in general.

Codarsnacht
03-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks t0p4s for the photo :)

Personally, I do think the character is an assassin but you can never be too sure.

Perhaps his allegiance to the creed is like Edward's -- in it for himself but then realises it's more than that... though if that was true, it would be boring to see a regurgitated storyline. What I mean is that maybe he is both Assassins and Templar -- Unity? -- therefore showing characteristics of both factions (visually).

I really don't think it's an issue of it being "oh, they're probably not done yet." They'd want to be done by now, lol! Seriously though, at this stage, everything should pretty much be finalised, specifically character design. But maybe I'm wrong on that, too!

Kaschra
03-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Torres' outfit has the same colour scheme, too.

I'd love to play as a Templar, but I don't really think our new guy will be one.
And if he was one, imagine all the people who would whine that the game isn't an Assassin's Creed anymore because the protagonist isn't an assassin... :nonchalance:

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 11:34 PM
The grandmaster templar in AC1 wore a hood now that I think about it.....

For kicks and giggles I'm going to assume this guy is a templar in disguise. :cool:

edit:

oh snap. Lots of templars wear blue.

#templarconfirmed

Assassin_M
03-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Nah, he's an Assassin. you can easily fit hidden blades in that glove like Ezio and besides, since when are hidden blades indicator of an Assassin?

JarekKorczynski
03-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Nah, he's an Assassin. you can easily fit hidden blades in that glove like Ezio and besides, since when are hidden blades indicator of an Assassin?

Well, I thought that since AC1, but all right. Anyway; in ACIV even du Casse was pretty surprised to see Duncan without blades, he never saw an assassin so ill-equipped.

souNdwAve89
03-22-2014, 12:22 AM

Yeah, even Connor's right vambrace/gauntlet didn't look like it had a hidden blade, but it did. Well, for the most part, a hidden blade is an indicator of an Assassin, but there are situations where even a Templar has one or an Assassin doesn't have one.

JustPlainQuirky
03-22-2014, 01:03 AM
*copy pastes*

Wait, the leaker said the blue garb resembled that of the Order Knights things.

What if "Unity" refers to a unity between templars and assassins and the assassin we see isn't an assassin but a mix of the two? And his uniform is a cross breed between templar and assassin garb?

JUST THINK ABOUT IT GUYS

Layytez
03-22-2014, 01:28 AM
*copy pastes*

Wait, the leaker said the blue garb resembled that of the Order Knights things.

What if "Unity" refers to a unity between templars and assassins and the assassin we see isn't an assassin but a mix of the two? And his uniform is a cross breed between templar and assassin garb?

JUST THINK ABOUT IT GUYS

And the unity of the assassins and templars against *someone* has also been said aswell ;)

RatonhnhakeFan
03-22-2014, 01:42 AM
TBH they kinda 'exhausted' this twist with AC3. Like, I never even feel like playing a Templar again

JustPlainQuirky
03-22-2014, 01:45 AM
TBH they kinda 'exhausted' this twist with AC3. Like, I never even feel like playing a Templar again

But it wouldn't be a twist. It would be plot relevant. A third party meant to reperesent the merge of assassins and templars. And they exist so they can put an end to the corrupt french economic system and raging mobs because both are tired of the bloodshed. :D

JarekKorczynski
03-22-2014, 02:27 AM
But it wouldn't be a twist. It would be plot relevant. A third party meant to reperesent the merge of assassins and templars. And they exist so they can put an end to the corrupt french economic system and raging mobs because both are tired of the bloodshed. :D

A third party? Our protagonist will be a Sage then. :cool:
Remember in AC3 when both factions were accused by the FirstCiv of having wasted thousands of years on fighting each other? This one will be TheBestOfBothWorlds, a reincarnated FirstCiv, plus he'll be wanting to free Juno.The key to the Grand Temple was then burried in America, but he doesn't have the knowledge of Ac3, obvioulsy, and maybe the Embers/Freedom Cry box comes into play? He may be after the Ankh POE (resurrection, storing the mannerisms of a living person and being able to return those mannerisms to a corpse etc.), which was said to be put in a box by Lucius - prior to have changed owners several times and finally disappear until being recovered by Ade.
Or was the Ankh too big to fit in that particular box (hav not read the comic trilogy)?

If not, maybe the Apple will appear in this one (Napoleon's POE). then again it'd be reusing the old stuff again, and I can see no use for the observatory/skulls thingy..even if it was cool, to a degree, in AC4... a new unknown POE perhaps?

RatonhnhakeFan
03-22-2014, 02:30 AM
Perhaps. Still, the AC3 twist was so... calculated and bad on re-plays it really turned me off from the idea in general

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Would be great if he is a Templar or a cross between them. Unity might suggest an alliance between then. Just like Connor wanted. Put that with the possibility of Connor showing up, and everything starts to fall in place. :p

Btw, apologies but I just love how the lack of assassin symbols suggest that the guy is a Templar. God forbid if an assassin actually dress like a functional assassin (inconspicuous, blending robes) rather than a comicbook superhero assassin loaded from head to toe with iconography that'll cause even a blind guy to recognize him..

That is why, although it would be awesome if he is a templar or something else altogether, I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest it is so. He might just be an assassin who *shock and horror* doesnt like to telling everyone he is a member of a super secret organization, unlike most of his predecessors unfortunately.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-22-2014, 07:27 AM
The more I think about it the more I'm not sure. Raton was written with child naivety of "everything bad in the world can be fixed, fast" and while his "naive" desire for it didn't change, he now knows that's just not gonna happen because tons of other people are not as good hearted as him. And considering how idealistic he still is, I'm not sure if he would be up for an alliance now that he realizes alliance would mean meeting in the middle with the Templars = some good some bad , not Templars adopting his "only good" ideals.

Consus_E
03-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Btw, apologies but I just love how the lack of assassin symbols suggest that the guy is a Templar. God forbid if an assassin actually dress like a functional assassin (inconspicuous, blending robes) rather than a comic book superhero assassin loaded from head to toe with iconography that'll cause even a blind guy to recognize him..

That is why, although it would be awesome if he is a Templar or something else altogether, I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest it is so. He might just be an assassin who *shock and horror* doesn't like to telling everyone he is a member of a super secret organization, unlike most of his predecessors unfortunately.

^This
------|moving on|------
According to the leak he is the leader of the French Assassin Brotherhood so I doubt that he is a Templar.

souNdwAve89
03-22-2014, 08:43 AM
^This
------|moving on|------
According to the leak he is the leader of the French Assassin Brotherhood so I doubt that he is a Templar.

lol, you can say the same thing about Al Mualim, and look how that turned out...

Templar_Az
03-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Should change the name to Templars Creed

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Should change the name to Templars Creed

Thats a very shallow view of what Assassins Creed is and what it entails, if you think just featuring templar as protagonist means it no longer is assassins creed.

Templar_Az
03-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Thats a very shallow view of what Assassins Creed is and what it entails, if you think just featuring templar as protagonist means it no longer is assassins creed.

I was just joking? lol

Consus_E
03-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Perhaps he's "An Assassin trained by Templars!"
---|or|---
Maybe he's "A Templar Trained by Assassins!"
---|or|---
because he's French "A Baguette trained by a Croissant!" Nothing is tasteless, everything is delicious...

Aphex_Tim
03-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Maybe he'll pull a Duncan Walpole on us. Could be pretty interesting!

GunnerGalactico
03-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Perhaps he's "An Assassin trained by Templars!"
---|or|---
Maybe he's "A Templar Trained by Assassins!"
---|or|---
because he's French "A Baguette trained by a Croissant!" Nothing is tasteless, everything is delicious...

*ROFL* :p

Also, we always see Assassins betraying the order and becoming Templars ie; Al Mualim, Lucy Stillman, Haytham and Daniel Cross.
What if the main protagonist does the opposite, starts of as a Templar, betrays them and sides with the Assassins.

Fanani
03-24-2014, 06:29 PM
[I apologize in advance for english mistakes]

As AC2 was all about Ezio's revenge for his family, AC Unity could go deep into the 'freedom' theme by allowing you to become an assassin or a templar, depending on the choices you make. That would make the story really immersive and personal (I've always felt that I had more of a templar mindset).
Like, if you choose to be stealthy and believe that peace can be achieved by killing 'bad' guys, you could become a feared assassin, a demon known as a rumor by your enemies and as a legend by younger assassins. OR you could choose to go public, to spread your ideal and acquire followers to your cause, become very well known and influential, maybe even sending others to do the dirty job, then the gameplay would require more strategy than 1st (3rd?) person action, where you could optionally control the 'thugs', or hired assassins (templars and assassins united), or this could even be the co-op multiplayer part. Then you could finally become a templar king (not literally, of course), or martyr or something... And so the game could have multiple endings.

I also really loved the ability to continue playing the side missions of AC Black Flag on my iPhone, reading the stories, analyzing which ships to send, waiting patiently for them to come back (which would cheer up those heavy traffic jams, in the coziness of my car)... I just really missed the ability to gather supplies to sell like AC3, and the ability to BUY MORE STUFF, like properties, hire people, build monuments, bribe... If you would choose to be a templar, this feature could really come in handy, maybe with a gameplay a bit like R.U.S.E., as you would have to think strategically... And could even set the stage for your friends playing as assassins to play in 1st person.

As a huge AC fan, I'm really happy to see such a lively community discussing about the game. I loved most of the ideas from you guys!

andreycvetov
03-24-2014, 08:53 PM
But story choices would not be appropriate because when we view the memories from the animus we see as it happened.It isnt a story that currently is going on and you can alter it,its more like an interactive movie we players can see though the animus.

Dome500
03-24-2014, 09:35 PM
But story choices would not be appropriate because when we view the memories from the animus we see as it happened.It isnt a story that currently is going on and you can alter it,its more like an interactive movie we players can see though the animus.

Even then the could include it. There are only 2 problems, and that's why I think it wouldn't fit:

1. One of the paths you take would have to be cannon for a potential sequel
2. They would have to do double the voice acting and cutscenes

Fanani
03-24-2014, 09:38 PM

Do you trully believe that just watching events is better than taking a leading role in it?
Your life must really suck if you think that way...

F*** the animus!!

Fanani
03-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Even then the could include it. There are only 2 problems, and that's why I think it wouldn't fit:

1. One of the paths you take would have to be cannon for a potential sequel
2. They would have to do double the voice acting and cutscenes

"Yeah, it would be great, epic, revolutionary! But is too much trouble, too much work... Let's just be mediocre..."
Your life must be awesome too

Fanani
03-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Guys, anything can be achieved in a story, you just have to know how to tell it.
Templar or assassin, his actions could lead to the same events, just through different paths. And since these are secret organizations, their stories wouldn't be in the history books, anyways.

Perk89
03-24-2014, 10:09 PM
guys guys guys what if we had a female protagonist instead, and she was a Templar, and the game was set in feudal japan so it'd be easier and cooler for us to incorporate her into our 4chan manga and she didn't wear a beaked hood because those only made sense during the crusades but had a big leathery hat instead oh and something about ninjas

we could call it Assassin's Creed: The Suckitude or better yet, Assassin's Creed: Unity, because it would be a unification of every dumb, terrible idea every weirdo preteen dork on these forums ever came up with

Perk89
03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
I mean all I want is for them to completely uproot every core plot fundamental of the series for no other reason than the sake of change or fulfilling my weird anime fantasies I mean is that so much to ask

andreycvetov
03-24-2014, 10:12 PM
I did not meant it in that way but i see the other dudes thought as a good one.They could petentially make choices and those choices ,when made,will be seen by us as the one that actually happened.And the animus was really a one plus that made the story unique so they should keep it.

Dome500
03-24-2014, 10:14 PM

F*** the animus!!

The reaction of a mature person.....

Your life must be awesome too

It is, thank you ;)

Like I said, any other game, great idea. Assassins Creed? Problematic...

TheHumanTowel
03-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Do you trully believe that just watching events is better than taking a leading role in it?

F*** the animus!!
If you want to play Mass Effect go play Mass Effect. The central premise of Assassin's Creed renders making choices nonsensical.

frodrigues55
03-24-2014, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't like it right now. What was the last time we even had an AC game which presented us with a strong ongoing order? I would like to see that back for a change, to play as part of the Brotherhood in full motion. It's like the rule is becoming the exception as the games focus more and more on a weak Order.

Besides, I once again agree with Pirate198096327 - when he said the lack of flashy symbols is a good thing. It puts you as a "blade in the crowd", which was how the whole thing started and worked. You can't help but notice that guy walking next to you fully armed with assassin's symbols pasted from his head to his toe.

I wouldn't mind if they brought it back to simplicity.

Fanani
03-24-2014, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't like it right now. What was the last time we even had an AC game which presented us with a strong ongoing order? I would like to see that back for a change, to play as part of the Brotherhood in full motion. It's like the rule is becoming the exception as the games focus more and more on a weak Order.

Besides, I once again agree with Pirate198096327 - when he said the lack of flashy symbols is a good thing. It puts you as a "blade in the crowd", which was how the whole thing started and worked. You can't help but notice that guy walking next to you fully armed with assassin's symbols pasted from his head to his toe.

I wouldn't mind if they brought it back to simplicity.

Yeah, I totally agree.
But it would be awesome if the player could recreate a strong order.

deskp
03-24-2014, 10:43 PM
He does have the assassin symbol. its embroydered(?) on his left chest leather thing. its not the direct graphical logo thing, but it is indeed the assasssin symbol in shape and meaning.

I think this is a much better way than forcing the logo onto every characther since Ezio. for some reason people satrted thinking every assassin needed a LOGO belt buckle not the case at all.