PDA

View Full Version : So are we officially done with numbered series?

RinoTheBouncer
03-21-2014, 06:01 PM
I know itís just part of the game title, not the contents but are we officially done with the numbered series? this is a next game game. Now that AC Unity has been officially announced, the name has no number, no ACV. And from what weíve learned so far, itís a different protagonist, different setting a different era, so itís not like ACB and ACR, not even ACIV:BF which had the BF in itís title cause the assassin is of the same lineage as Connor Kenway. So Iím assuming there wonít be an ACV unless they decide to call this and the rumored ďAC:CometĒ project which is set to be released on PS3 and 360 to be both title ACV as one bundle split into two halves.

Will_Lucky
03-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Its odd really, this is a new Assassin in a new Era so should have a number. I'd guess its over.

RinoTheBouncer
03-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Its odd really, this is a new Assassin in a new Era so should have a number. I'd guess its over.

I don’t know why games do **** like that. I mean what’s wrong with number 5,6,7,8,9,10? everyone is so trilogy-obsessed and if they do a number 4, the one after it will drop the numbering system.

LoyalACFan
03-21-2014, 06:06 PM
IMO if Arno isn't an ancestor of Desmond, it makes sense. A new numeral for every chapter of the Desmond saga, then drop the numerals after Desmond's gone for good.

Plus, if they plan to keep releasing these games indefinitely, they'll be avoiding embarrassingly high numeral counts like FFXIII-2.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:06 PM
When Assassin's Creed Black Flag was announced it didn't have a IV in it.

This could be the same case. Or not.

We won't know until further details rise in.

Though I'm certain games that conclude the juno subplot will be numbered.

RinoTheBouncer
03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
IMO if Arno isn't an ancestor of Desmond, it makes sense. A new numeral for every chapter of the Desmond saga, then drop the numerals after Desmond's gone for good.

Plus, if they plan to keep releasing these games indefinitely, they'll be avoiding embarrassingly high numeral counts like FFXIII-2.

It would be extremely interested if the new girl Galina is the one getting into the Animus and reliving the memories. It would be totally epic. In that case, I’m all in for no numerals for this game.

LoyalACFan
03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
It would be extremely interested if the new girl Galina is the one getting into the Animus and reliving the memories. It would be totally epic. In that case, I’m all in for no numerals for this game.

I think the Encyclopedia said that you can't relive memories of ancestors of the opposite gender as you due to sync issues and crap. Unless Arno actually does turn out to be a woman, which I highly doubt.

RinoTheBouncer
03-21-2014, 06:13 PM
I think the Encyclopedia said that you can't relive memories of ancestors of the opposite gender as you due to sync issues and crap. Unless Arno actually does turn out to be a woman, which I highly doubt.

Arno pulling a Mary Reed maybe? :P

Will_Lucky
03-21-2014, 06:22 PM

Simple enough, upgrade the Animus.

Dome500
03-21-2014, 06:24 PM

This

oliacr
03-21-2014, 06:54 PM

It's not really a new Era. I mean we are very close to AC 3s story you know American and French Revolution. This isn't really a new Era just a few years, and a different location with a different protagonist.

Mr_Stunner
03-21-2014, 07:02 PM
In my opinion the PS3 and XBox 360 will be the main game, because it's where they will sell more games, and that will be the numbered one. Unity acting as a prologue/epilogue of the current gen version, much like Assassin's Creed Liberation was for Assassin's Creed III

poptartz20
03-21-2014, 07:05 PM
ehh... I don't think it's over honestly. I think we will see some old character in this game that don't exactly make it a numbered part of the series.

also who is to say this guy isn't another Kenway? hahah.

ArabianFrost
03-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Maybe Unity isn't progressive to the modern plot or a part of the saga of Juno's arc, hence why it didn't have to sync its storyline with the other games and was able to start 3 years ago despite most of the games starting development 2 years before release. Is Ubisoft starting to slowly ditch the modern day part and making more games close to the AC:Liberation approach in the sense that they're part of the universe but not the Juno arc?

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 07:12 PM
In all the non-numbered titles, characters from the previous numbers made an appearance....:rolleyes:

ze_topazio
03-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare was the first in the series with a number and a subtitle, after the fourth entry the series dropped the numbers.

So much parallelism.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-21-2014, 07:51 PM
This actually concerns me quite a bit that It isn't Assassins Creed V.....Ubisoft only gives a game a number if it feels deserving to them....to ME Blackflag wasn't worthy, yet it got a number....if this game doesn't get a number then I'm not going to expect much.....but I did get chills watching the trailer...its beautiful and I got an AC1 feel from it.....but how a game looks and plays are 2 dif things....

Will_Lucky
03-21-2014, 07:52 PM
ehh... I don't think it's over honestly. I think we will see some old character in this game that don't exactly make it a numbered part of the series.

Hey, he could be an Auditore...

Perk89
03-21-2014, 07:59 PM
It's not in a new era and I think it's very possible that we see a previous character from this trilogy make an appearance.

its also very likely this is Desmond's DNA, as Abstergo files showed Subject 17 had a French Revolutionary ancestor on his mother's side.

Perk89
03-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Kenways were in Desmond's dad's side. This guy, from what we know, is in his mother's.

Locopells
03-21-2014, 08:02 PM
It would be extremely interested if the new girl Galina is the one getting into the Animus and reliving the memories. It would be totally epic. In that case, Iím all in for no numerals for this game.

Who?

Dome500
03-21-2014, 09:40 PM
In my opinion the PS3 and XBox 360 will be the main game, because it's where they will sell more games, and that will be the numbered one. Unity acting as a prologue/epilogue of the current gen version, much like Assassin's Creed Liberation was for Assassin's Creed III

Agreed. I think they might make AC5 cross-gen (as AC5:Comet) and AC:Unity might be a continuation of the story arc or at least have a connection to it.

Hey, he could be an Auditore...

This :D :D

This actually concerns me quite a bit that It isn't Assassins Creed V.....Ubisoft only gives a game a number if it feels deserving to them....to ME Blackflag wasn't worthy, yet it got a number....if this game doesn't get a number then I'm not going to expect much.....but I did get chills watching the trailer...its beautiful and I got an AC1 feel from it.....but how a game looks and plays are 2 dif things....

To judge an AC game based on it not having a number.......

You might have a different opinion, but for me AC3 for example had a number but was totally disappointing (for various reasons, also for example the rushed nature (many tech. problems), some stuff in the story and the broken Stealth system) while AC4 had a number and was fine....

I wouldn't go after that. I liked Revelations for example (no number), but found Brotherhood was too easy and Rome became boring over time...

It's always different.

I at least get an AC1/AC2-mixed vibe. AC2 because of building style and structure, AC1 because of the teaser which was almost like the AC1 Intro (even the bells :D)

RatonhnhakeFan
03-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Or it's just Ubi marketing that can't decide. This one seems more deserving of numbered title than AC4 lol

Farlander1991
03-21-2014, 10:50 PM
One of important things to remember, that the 'numbered game means a new era and assassin' was a rule that originated when AC was still more or less a trilogy with potential for having more games and things like Brotherhood started to crop out so they needed a differentiation (i.e. that Brotherhood is NOT AC3).

But now the number matters a lot less, and subtitle matters more. It's easier to remember for people. Sure, the first three games are pretty easy to remember, 1 - Crusades, 2 - Renaissance, 3 - Revolution. But imagine we get to the point where there's 10 numbered AC games. "ACIV, is that the pirate one or the French one? Oooooooh, Black Flag! Yeah, it's the pirate one!".

GunnerGalactico
03-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Or it's just Ubi marketing that can't decide. This one seems more deserving of numbered title than AC4 lol

Yup ;)

frodrigues55
03-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Who?

Lol. We were just talking about this the other day: it's impossible to keep up with the series when there's so many different media crossing over and splitting the story through facebook games, webpages, encyclopedias, novels, comics, graphic novels and so on.

Anyway, Galina was presented through Initiates, you can read the reveal here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/847560-Meet-Galina-A-new-assassin-appears-during-the-full-moon-Forums).

I've been reading people talk about her being the new modern day protagonist though, so I don't know if they revealed anything other than that. Maybe someone can fill us in on that?

But now the number matters a lot less, and subtitle matters more. It's easier to remember for people. Sure, the first three games are pretty easy to remember, 1 - Crusades, 2 - Renaissance, 3 - Revolution. But imagine we get to the point where there's 10 numbered AC games. "ACIV, is that the pirate one or the French one? Oooooooh, Black Flag! Yeah, it's the pirate one!".

Oh, I totally agree with this. I think it's time they drop numbers or save them for the big huge releases with new engines and stuff. Plus, it will be ridiculous when they release Assassin's Creed XXIVX in just 4 years from now.

STDlyMcStudpants
03-22-2014, 02:29 AM
Agreed. I think they might make AC5 cross-gen (as AC5:Comet) and AC:Unity might be a continuation of the story arc or at least have a connection to it.

This :D :D

To judge an AC game based on it not having a number.......

You might have a different opinion, but for me AC3 for example had a number but was totally disappointing (for various reasons, also for example the rushed nature (many tech. problems), some stuff in the story and the broken Stealth system) while AC4 had a number and was fine....

I wouldn't go after that. I liked Revelations for example (no number), but found Brotherhood was too easy and Rome became boring over time...

It's always different.

I at least get an AC1/AC2-mixed vibe. AC2 because of building style and structure, AC1 because of the teaser which was almost like the AC1 Intro (even the bells :D)

No to everything you just said...

RatonhnhakeFan
03-22-2014, 02:33 AM
Saving the numbers for 'ears' was a good idea, same as GTA does it (San Andreas and Vice City still sold HUGE despite lack of numbers) but they already destroyed that with IV. "Number for new protag" was good too but ever since 3 it looks like they want new assassin in literally every game, no matter small or big. So yeah

Skelface
03-22-2014, 02:54 AM

False. It was probably called Assassin's Creed: Black Flag or Assassin's Creed: Golden Age during the development, but the name of the game has IV since its announcement.

From the PR:

Today, Ubisoft announced Assassinís Creedģ IV Black Flag, the next installment in the companyís best-selling franchise. Assassinís Creed IV Black Flag introduces an all new hero and setting, and will feature the most diverse and seamless Assassinís Creed world ever created.

I agree with that, especially when the previous gen game still has to be announced, Comet seems dumb. They're probably keeping Unity because that's the only subtitle we know.

DumbGamerTag94
03-22-2014, 03:34 AM
Saving the numbers for 'ears' was a good idea, same as GTA does it (San Andreas and Vice City still sold HUGE despite lack of numbers) but they already destroyed that with IV. "Number for new protag" was good too but ever since 3 it looks like they want new assassin in literally every game, no matter small or big. So yeah

It really bothers me how I see so many people referring to AC4 as the same Era as AC3 and now this new Unity. Just because they are in the 1700s? Are you people serious? Saying 1715 is the same as 1776 and 1791 is absurd. That's like saying that 1915 is the same as 1976 and 1991. Edward was Connor's gradfather for crying out loud. If I were to go back to my grandfather's 20s it would be the freakin 1950s and nowhere near my same era half the stuff I do daily they wouldn't even know about. I understand that technology did not advance as fast back then as it has in the last 100 years but still we have had half century jumps from AC4 to AC3. Take military tech for example. In the 1715 era the soldiers were not all armed with guns, but by the Revolution they were all armed with rifles and fire in ranks. Clothing styles also changed etc it is fairly similar but not the same era. Not to mention the differences in the size of the colonial cities in a half century etc and theres the fact that the Foreign governments had taken firmer control of their colonies in 1770s(Thus the Revolt) in comparison to 1715 where they were struggling to deal with a few pirates occupying one of their islands for a few years(Nassau). The improvement of weapons and guns(blunderbuss had become outdated and pistols more advanced by 1770) etc. While it may seem easy to clump 1700s all together as a homogenous blob but I'm sure if you could travel to 1790 and tell them they live the same as 1715 they would probably look at you like you would if someone said we have things the same now in 2014 as they were in the 1970s(technically our weaponry and architecture and things are almost the same as the 70s and 80s but there has been huge tech increased and cultural change since then so that argument is stupid just like comparing 1715 to 76 and 91) It just seems everyone is really oversimplifying that and generalizing far too much.

Dome500
03-22-2014, 05:24 AM
No to everything you just said...

Your problem :p

RatonhnhakeFan
03-22-2014, 06:13 AM
It really bothers me how I see so many people referring to AC4 as the same Era as AC3 and now this new Unity. Just because they are in the 1700s? Are you people serious? Saying 1715 is the same as 1776 and 1791 is absurd. That's like saying that 1915 is the same as 1976 and 1991. Edward was Connor's gradfather for crying out loud. If I were to go back to my grandfather's 20s it would be the freakin 1950s and nowhere near my same era half the stuff I do daily they wouldn't even know about. I understand that technology did not advance as fast back then as it has in the last 100 years but still we have had half century jumps from AC4 to AC3. Take military tech for example. In the 1715 era the soldiers were not all armed with guns, but by the Revolution they were all armed with rifles and fire in ranks. Clothing styles also changed etc it is fairly similar but not the same era. Not to mention the differences in the size of the colonial cities in a half century etc and theres the fact that the Foreign governments had taken firmer control of their colonies in 1770s(Thus the Revolt) in comparison to 1715 where they were struggling to deal with a few pirates occupying one of their islands for a few years(Nassau). The improvement of weapons and guns(blunderbuss had become outdated and pistols more advanced by 1770) etc. While it may seem easy to clump 1700s all together as a homogenous blob but I'm sure if you could travel to 1790 and tell them they live the same as 1715 they would probably look at you like you would if someone said we have things the same now in 2014 as they were in the 1970s(technically our weaponry and architecture and things are almost the same as the 70s and 80s but there has been huge tech increased and cultural change since then so that argument is stupid just like comparing 1715 to 76 and 91) It just seems everyone is really oversimplifying that and generalizing far too much.I don't see much references between Unity and AC3 other than another Revolution. But when it comes to AC3, AC4 and ACL then people will clump these games together as part of an 'era' because they all take place in Euro colonies of the "New World" and deal with lives of people there and various colonial issues, from slavery, to Natives, to pirates, to upper class etc. Of course it's not all the same but the general colonial theme remains. Then there's also stuff like lower-scale city landscape compared to much-older Euro/Medditerrenian cities from the previous games as well as bigger focus on natural environments of the New World.

Templar_Az
03-22-2014, 08:45 AM
You never know, they might call it Assassins Creed 5 next year.

RinoTheBouncer
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
So far we have those possibilities:

1. They might announce the rumored “AC:Comet” and both become ACV, just like Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is some sort of prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which is the main game and both make the full MGSV project.

2. They’ve only called ACUnity due to early release/leak and that might change in a month or two.

3. Characters from previous games might make a return, one way or another, hence the subtitle.

4. This could be a new timeline or a story taken from a different subject’s DNA, making it an entirely new DNA sequence/modern day missions..etc.

Dome500
03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
So far we have those possibilities:

4. This could be a new timeline or a story taken from a different subject’s DNA, making it an entirely new DNA sequence/modern day missions..etc.

My bet is with that one.

It makes the most sense IMO.

Think about it:
AC1, 2, 3 and 4 were all Desmonds DNA.
ACB and R were basically Addons to AC2 and all told the story of the same protagonist, hence no numbered titles.
Darby himself said in an interview that AC4 was a game to get some closure and say goodby to Desmond.
Unity has no numbered title, but is playing in one of the most important times of history with a new protagonist (90%).
And an old protagonist appearing does not count, we know the numbered titles only stand for the fact that the MAIN protagonist is a different one.
And as reassurance: Blackl Flag was called AC4 from the beginning on, since they officially confirmed it. Unity has been confirmed (without a number or a "(working title)" behind it).

So that's my theory. I think they saw the end of the Desmond era as a chance to get rid of the numbers. Of course I could be wrong, but that is my guess.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Unity has been confirmed (without a number or a "(working title)" behind it).

Unity was the working title that leaked a year ago

adventurewomen
03-24-2014, 09:21 PM

Though I'm certain games that conclude the juno subplot will be numbered.
Exactly this, agreed! :)

Dome500
03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Unity was the working title that leaked a year ago

And it was the title that was shown in the recent teaser.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-24-2014, 10:24 PM
And it was the title that was shown in the recent teaser.

Yep, sometimes WIP title just sticks. I think it's good title and works better without V

ACfan443
03-24-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm guessing the reason they've opted for no numeral is because Unity will be the first true next gen exclusive AC game, and they want to make it seem like it's a standalone, self-contained/not-tied-to-a-long-running-franchise game. New generation, new start, kinda like a reboot.

Same reason why Sony exclusive titles such as Infamous and Killzone decided to drop the numeral when transitioning to next gen, and stick with a subtitle only to give the impression that they're 'brand new'.

Perhaps it will be like this for AC from now on.

Calvarok
03-25-2014, 04:58 AM
Nope, the person who relived and helped catalog Aveline's memories for liberation was a man. They also have made it pretty clear throughout dev that they could do a female character with desmond any time they wanted, but chose not to. They were seriously considering making AC3 about a woman.

Anyways, in regards to numbered games, yeah, I think they're done. They've realized the numbers are getting pretty high, and they don't want to end up in a situation like Final fantasy where they're on AC XIII eventually. Games that have big numbers at the end are discouraging to new players. Black Flag was their compromise, their way of gently making people start calling the game by the subtitle instead of the number, and now Unity is the final push since that went over well.

I like it. It allows them to give the game a bit more character than simply numbering it off, and give it an identity of its own. Going to be hell for newcomers, but **** it, they're good at recapping and recontextualizing, and anyone who's confused and actually cares will have the Wiki to figure it out.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-25-2014, 05:16 AM
Sounded like a weak excuse anyway. Synch issue because of playing as woman but no synch issues when sleeping with your great-great-grandmas? :p

All arguments sound good, though it is a bit surprising to not have the number, WITH first actual full real next-gen title when the marketing was so stuck on having the number for Black Flag, even though everyone sees it as AC3.5

RinoTheBouncer
03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
I just hope the stories don't become standalone and we get the connectivity back.

SpeedRacer2017
03-25-2015, 02:46 PM
I am thinking this why don't they come out with a ac trilogy I am talking the first one through the the third one

STDlyMcStudpants
03-26-2015, 06:44 PM
No - We Arent
Victory will be called AC V ;)

Altair1789
03-26-2015, 07:47 PM
It's because when they get to "Assassin's Creed 20" it'll be embarassing

pacmanate
03-27-2015, 01:27 AM

Not true, there was an audio file of a Man reliving Avelines memories for Vidic in the AC4 PC hack stuff. He just said it felt weird cause he felt turned on by guys in the Animus and he was straight.