PDA

View Full Version : It seems we are indeed getting 2 AC's this year.

frodrigues55
03-21-2014, 05:04 PM
It's so weird how those leaks from months ago were so spot-on.

The Unity trailer just confirmed it's coming only for PS4, Xbone and PC.

A few days ago, Ubi mentioned AC will still support old gen.

That, added to all the rumors which were just proven true, seriously means Comet might be coming our way soo. I don't think I can handle all this love from AC :cool:

Do you gys think Comet (whatever this damn name means) will also come out for PC?

Dome500
03-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Do you gys think Comet (whatever this damn name means) will also come out for PC?

I hope so, I don't want to miss this one.

Best thing on having a PC is that you can play BOTH old games (last/current gen) and new games (next/soon-current gen).

Dev_Anj
03-21-2014, 05:07 PM
I just hope two games doesn't necessarily mean having two unpolished games. As such, people tend to dismiss Assassin's Creed as an over milked franchise.

frodrigues55
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
I hope so, I don't want to miss this one.

Best thing on having a PC is that you can play BOTH old games (last/current gen) and new games (next/soon-current gen).

I hope so too, even though the games have been poorly optmized, at least PC gets all the content so far. It will suck if I miss one of the main AC games :(

I just hope two games doesn't necessarily mean having two unpolished games. As such, people tend to dismiss Assassin's Creed as an over milked franchise.

I'm kinda hoping they got different studios to work on them instead of putting all of the Ubi resources on working at different parts for each game without a proper focus

LoyalACFan
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
I hope the Comet one is cross-gen rather than last-gen only. I still have my PS3, but since the trigger controls have been swapped it'll be a pain trying to constantly reacquaint myself with the controls.

I mean, it'll probably come to next-gen eventually regardless, but I mean specifically at launch.

frodrigues55
03-21-2014, 05:12 PM
I mean, it'll probably come to next-gen eventually regardless, but I mean specifically at launch.

Yeah, you're right. We can probably expect a Headless Marie Antoinette Super Special Edition for Current Gen.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Coment
Watch_Dogs

I don't have enough money for all of this!

...Oh well. I'd just be waiting for special editions to be released on steam anyway.

LoyalACFan
03-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Coment
Watch_Dogs

I don't have enough money for all of this!

...Oh well. I'd just be waiting for special editions to be released on steam anyway.

Ubi won't get their hands out of my damned wallet this year :p

Dome500
03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
I'll buy Watch Dogs some time after release (shortly), if it's good enough.

I'll probably buy AC: Unity as soon as I know how the Stealth is.
And I'll buy AC: Comet after a prize drop (depending on the setting I might change my mind).

frodrigues55
03-21-2014, 05:32 PM
I will hold back on WD until I know how it handles on PC. It's too demanding and Ubi's PC ports don't really have the best trackrecord as far as performances go.

So yeah, if my PC has its problems with AC even when I'm way beyond the recommend specs, I don't even wanna know what will happen with a game I don't even reach the minimum.

I'm gonna get AC as soon as they come out, as always :nonchalance:

Locopells
03-21-2014, 08:19 PM
I will hold back on WD until I know how it handles on PC. It's too demanding and Ubi's PC ports don't really have the best trackrecord as far as performances go.

They've claimed that WD was developed with PC as the lead platform so...

Ubi won't get their hands out of my damned wallet this year http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/tongue.png

You think you've got it bad - my list includes two ACs, WD, Arkham Origins, GTAV (when they stop pretending it's not coming on PC).

Not to mention a new gaming rig, as my old one's burnt out...

I need a pay rise!

Dome500
03-21-2014, 09:23 PM

You think you've got it bad - my list includes two ACs, WD, Arkham Origins, GTAV (when they stop pretending it's not coming on PC).

I need a pay rise!

GTA V is done for me.

No offense but they had their chance. If it is not vastly different from the console versions then I'm not interested. My brother has GTA V on 360 and I was able to play it through.
They just waited to long.
I will go for Watch Dogs instead. Maybe next time Rockstar.

dewgel
03-21-2014, 10:58 PM

I need a pay rise!

I'd probably not pay attention to them claiming PC is the lead platform, I very much doubt that's true. Ubi, along with many other publishers tend to favour Xbox as a lead platform to develop on.

Remember though, a game must be developed with the worst spec console in mind and then features added as time goes on. In the case of most games, the worst spec is the PS3.

This is why Unity has such promise and looks great, because essentially the lowest spec they've got to work with is the Xbox One (not fanboying or console bashing here, it's simply a matter of fact, even if it's a small gap)

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 11:06 PM

I need a pay rise!

You think you got it bad?

My list includes:
Infamous Second Son
The Order: 1886
Uncharted 4
Final Fantasy 15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros U
Zelda Wind Waker U
Super Mario 3D Land
Monolith X
Sonic Boom
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Monster Hunter 4
Phoenix Wright vs Prof Layton
Watch Dogs
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
Witcher 3
GTA V
Mirror's Edge 2
The Division
Batman Arkham Knight

And that's not including the 30 steam games on my wishlist and games I'm still unsure about getting like MGS5, Starwars battlefront and Destiny :rolleyes:

And I can't even afford Infamous: Second Son right now because I just bought Remember Me and Prince of Persia trilogy on a steam sale.

frodrigues55
03-21-2014, 11:08 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I will still wait though, I'm not sure I completly trust them on this after that claim that "pc-gamers-can-keep-buying-new-hardware-all-the-time-so-we-don't-pay-much-attention-to-performance" claim.

RatonhnhakeFan
03-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Don't see any reason why they wouldn't release Comet on PC, tons of people would buy both without a blink

Wolfmeister1010
03-22-2014, 01:35 AM
GTA V is done for me.

No offense but they had their chance. If it is not vastly different from the console versions then I'm not interested. My brother has GTA V on 360 and I was able to play it through.
They just waited to long.
I will go for Watch Dogs instead. Maybe next time Rockstar.
I love how GTA is jus like all the other ones, with ****ty graphics. And people were obsessed with it. Then, Watch dogs, a fresh, interesting new game with original mechanics and cool idea of integrating hacking into the world..shows a trailer that doesn't look as god as the e3 2012 demo..but still looks fine (confirmed to look FINE in newest PS trailer) and people all over the internet EXPLODE

JustPlainQuirky
03-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I will still wait though, I'm not sure I completly trust them on this after that claim that "pc-gamers-can-keep-buying-new-hardware-all-the-time-so-we-don't-pay-much-attention-to-performance" claim.

It is kind of true though...

roostersrule2
03-22-2014, 01:41 AM
I love how GTA is jus like all the other ones, with ****ty graphics. And people were obsessed with it. Then, Watch dogs, a fresh, interesting new game with original mechanics and cool idea of integrating hacking into the world..shows a trailer that doesn't look as god as the e3 2012 demo..but still looks fine (confirmed to look FINE in newest PS trailer) and people all over the internet EXPLODEHaha, you never stray far when there's a chance of GTA V hate.

On topic, at first I thought 2 AC games was bad, but more AC=me more happy.

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Haha, you never stray far when there's a chance of GTA V hate.

On topic, at first I thought 2 AC games was bad, but more AC=me more happy.

Oh good youre back

pacmanate
03-22-2014, 08:46 AM
2 games is money grabbing and stupid.

Ubisoft already milk this franchise and so what do they do? Put out 2 full console games out in 1 year.

Worst part? 1 for current gen, 1 for next. My problem?

Most have one or the other. Most will miss out on the other half of the years story.

dewgel
03-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Ubisoft already milk this franchise and so what do they do? Put out 2 full console games out in 1 year.

Most have one or the other. Most will miss out on the other half of the years story.

If the quality is still there then why complain? They say Unity has been development for over 3 years, that's a pretty good dev team and bare in mind they have another 4-5 months of development left. My guess is that Comet would have been done by the AC3 team, or Jade Raymond's team. That'll give that at least 2 and a half - 3 years development time too.

Regardless of whether it's money grabbing, Ubisoft are a business. The fact of the matter is that last-gen is gone. Yes, developers are still supporting it but we're transitioning into the next-gen/current-gen now. I'd imagine that 'Comet' will probably come to last-gen and current-gen (PS3+PS4), since AnvilNext supports both gens.

Making a PS4/Xbox One only game means a much higher quality game since the benchmark is higher. Making another on last-gen gives fans who haven't made the transition yet still have something to play. As a business, it wouldn't be feasible for Ubisoft to release one game on one or the other.

Which, although non-AC related, I'm surprised Rocksteady are doing that with Arkham Knight, since there's still a huge last-gen audience out there.

dxsxhxcx
03-22-2014, 09:46 AM
(assuming this ends up happening) funny how they have plenty of time to release two games at the same year (like if burn out this franchise with one game per year wasn't enough) but don't have enough time to work on the modern days... :)

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Dang, this one of those very few occasions when playing a Ubisoft game, that I can say that I'm glad I have a PC. :p

GunnerGalactico
03-22-2014, 10:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it was rumoured that one AC game will be released for last gen consoles and AC Unity will be released next gen consoles. I can only choose 1 :p

Farlander1991
03-22-2014, 11:35 AM
(assuming this ends up happening) funny how they have plenty of time to release two games at the same year (like if burn out this franchise with one game per year wasn't enough) but don't have enough time to work on the modern days... :)

What does two games a year have to do with time to work on the modern day?

Modern day always has been, and always will be, like with 5%-ish percent of the production force and time relegated to it. Add more time and people, the ratio would still be the same because the focus of the series is the historical part.

Heck, as long as they plan things out better than with Desmond's story, two games is actually better for the modern day than one.

Will_Lucky
03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm absolutely praying they at least port it upwards a couple of months later.

Dome500
03-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I'd probably not pay attention to them claiming PC is the lead platform, I very much doubt that's true. Ubi, along with many other publishers tend to favour Xbox as a lead platform to develop on.

I believe them this time. Why? Because the explanation is reasonable.

They said they knew they wanted to bring Watch Dogs on Next Gen, but 5 - 6 years ago (which is when WD development started) they didn't exactly know how powerful next-gen would be, so they started to develop it on PC in order to translate it to next gen later. Then next-gen came. They ported WD to next gen consoles and later on to old/7th-gen-consoles, they were glad they were even able to ship such a game to the 7th generation of consoles, since they didn't know if it worked on the technical side originally.

I really believe that statement because it makes sense.

I love how GTA is jus like all the other ones, with ****ty graphics. And people were obsessed with it. Then, Watch dogs, a fresh, interesting new game with original mechanics and cool idea of integrating hacking into the world..shows a trailer that doesn't look as god as the e3 2012 demo..but still looks fine (confirmed to look FINE in newest PS trailer) and people all over the internet EXPLODE

To be honest it did INDEED look crappy. But I think that was partially cross-gen and alpha footage in that trailer.

Also, people have to realize that next-gen consoles are also only able to give you a certain extend of graphics. Think about it, PS4 can handle around 1080p, XboxOne only - what again...? - ~ 750p or something around that... PC can give you more than 1080p on mid-class PCs and if you have the right hardware it can give you 4k gaming, 4 times more resolution than the PS4. If they showed PC footage, especially since they claimed that PC was the original development platform, it's no wonder the people are upset about the difference. It's a whole world :D I know they showed PS4 footage. But still, I think PS4 graphics were the same since day 1, there was no downgrade. People just got blinded by the PC graphics and the trailer also showed alpha and/or old-gen material and then they flipped :D

1. Money Grabbing and milking? Depends on the Quality of the games and the importance of them in the overall AC story.
2. I am 90% sure they will release Comet for old AND next gen. They would be stupid to not do it that way.

Making a PS4/Xbox One only game means a much higher quality game since the benchmark is higher. Making another on last-gen gives fans who haven't made the transition yet still have something to play. As a business, it wouldn't be feasible for Ubisoft to release one game on one or the other.

This.

(assuming this ends up happening) funny how they have plenty of time to release two games at the same year (like if burn out this franchise with one game per year wasn't enough) but don't have enough time to work on the modern days...

AND THIS. Seriously, I agree 100%.

If I'm not mistaken, it was rumoured that one AC game will be released for last gen consoles and AC Unity will be released next gen consoles. I can only choose 1

Look above.

What does two games a year have to do with time to work on the modern day?

Simple. On the one hand they release 2 games in 1 year, so they seem to have enough teams to handle 2 games, 2 stories, 2 gameplay world, 2 locations. But on the other hand they do reduce modern day because (quote Darby) "They don't have enough resources/time for that".
I know that's not exactly what he said, but he said something along these lines.

Modern day always has been, and always will be, like with 5%-ish percent of the production force and time relegated to it. Add more time and people, the ratio would still be the same because the focus of the series is the historical part.

Yes, but Darby stated that MD might become less, which it already did in AC4. And there was no real story progression in AC4 MD.

frodrigues55
03-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Yeah, Darby straight out said that the annual releases prevents them from making modern day even if it's the way it was presented through Desmond. That's the reason why they are dropping the storyline for it and will focus on simpler, self-contained stories. I think they could probably work it out, but Darby also said most people don't care for them, so I doubt they would put some focus on it now.

Dome500
03-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Yeah, Darby straight out said that the annual releases prevents them from making modern day even if it's the way it was presented through Desmond. That's the reason why they are dropping the storyline for it and will focus on simpler, self-contained stories. I think they could probably work it out, but Darby also said most people don't care for them, so I doubt they would put some focus on it now.

I'm starting to hate the "most people" phrase :D
I mean it's only 5% of the whole game dammit !! Just take the same mechanics like in the animus and invent a story. I don'T mind self-contained story but:

1. If you will have a new story each game, make modern day part bigger
2. If you don't make modern day part bigger, then span the story across 2 - 3 games, end it, and start a new one
3. If you don't want to do either you might as well leave modern day out....

Sign.... Anyway....

SleezeRocker
03-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm going to have to settle on the PS3 versions of AC (and watch dogs maybe on holidays too) and cry whilst others play Unity and Arkham Knight :D

Farlander1991
03-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Simple. On the one hand they release 2 games in 1 year, so they seem to have enough teams to handle 2 games, 2 stories, 2 gameplay world, 2 locations. But on the other hand they do reduce modern day because (quote Darby) "They don't have enough resources/time for that".

That's not a contradiction, though. Resources for 2 games, 2 stories, 2 gameplay worlds and 2 locations would only rarely be equal to resources for 1 game, 1 story, 1 gameplay world and 1 location with twice as many things in them.

It all depends on scope and planning and the final goal (and what/who you start off with and what are you planning to end with), but one important thing that often gets under the radar when discussing resources/time is not just the amount of resources and the amount of time, but the amount of places these resources actually can be allocated to. Let's say we have teams of 5 people on project A and project B, same scope, just different things. Putting the team of project B into project A wouldn't necessarily make project A better, or bigger, or having more work done in less time - simply because most of team B would be idle because due to project A's scope and resource allocation most of them wouldn't be able to contribute to anything. But it also doesn't mean that rescoping project A to being twice as big would require 10 people - as scope increases very non-uniformly (in terms of, in game mechanics terms, 'slots that you can allocate resources to'), which could lead to situations where only half of Team B would be actually required, but also could lead to situations where they'd need a whole team C if the scope is to be increased (it all depends on what you're trying to increase, hard to speak about this theoretically).

I know that it doesn't seem to make sense, mathematically and logically, but resource management in development sadly is not binary (even though basics of product management teach the triangle resources/time/money and the straightforward way they basically affect eachother when the corners are pulled, - and that's a very useful piece of information to know, when you delve deeper into things as it relates to an actual existing not hypothetical product things get a lot more trickier).

Dome500
03-22-2014, 05:42 PM
All I am saying is that Ubisoft would have the resources to develop MD, if they WANTED.

jayjay275
03-22-2014, 07:21 PM
So if they've spent 3 years of development on Unity, how long have they spent on "comet"?

AherasSTRG
03-22-2014, 07:26 PM
So if they've spent 3 years of development on Unity, how long have they spent on "comet"?
Probably the same or a bit less.

ajl992008
03-22-2014, 08:27 PM
I am all for 2 assassins creed games, one on current and the other on next gen, I wouldn't mind that happening next year too, the games are really good so as long the quality remains the same I will be satisfied, they should release comet in september though so it doesn't get in the way of unity, I can play comet in september then buy a ps4 to play unity in november/december time :)

lothario-da-be
03-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Since ac3's release i guess.

pirate1802
03-22-2014, 08:50 PM

Since 1973

poptartz20
03-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Actually Pirate. It's been since 1970. lol.

Urgh.. this year I feel like I will be ubisofts blind dog buying these games throwing my money EVERYWHERE. Damn. :( with a watchdogs pre order and a new AC. and an Old Gen AC? I'll be buying all of them gahhh... why why why!?

I-Like-Pie45
03-22-2014, 10:21 PM
I haven't brought any of them yet :)

Locopells
03-23-2014, 01:16 AM
You think you got it bad?

My list includes:
Infamous Second Son
The Order: 1886
Uncharted 4
Final Fantasy 15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros U
Zelda Wind Waker U
Super Mario 3D Land
Monolith X
Sonic Boom
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Monster Hunter 4
Phoenix Wright vs Prof Layton
Watch Dogs
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
Witcher 3
GTA V
Mirror's Edge 2
The Division
Batman Arkham Knight

And that's not including the 30 steam games on my wishlist and games I'm still unsure about getting like MGS5, Starwars battlefront and Destiny http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

And I can't even afford Infamous: Second Son right now because I just bought Remember Me and Prince of Persia trilogy on a steam sale.

Dang - and I though the next Batman, that I've only just discovered, made thing even worse!

I'm going to have to settle on the PS3 versions of AC (and watch dogs maybe on holidays too) and cry whilst others play Unity and Arkham Knight :D

God, I must've been out of it - how is it I only just found out about Arkham Knight?!

At this rate, you ain't gonna seem me for a few weeks, once I eventually replace my gaming rig...

dewgel
03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
I believe them this time. Why? Because the explanation is reasonable.

They said they knew they wanted to bring Watch Dogs on Next Gen, but 5 - 6 years ago (which is when WD development started) they didn't exactly know how powerful next-gen would be, so they started to develop it on PC in order to translate it to next gen later. Then next-gen came. They ported WD to next gen consoles and later on to old/7th-gen-consoles, they were glad they were even able to ship such a game to the 7th generation of consoles, since they didn't know if it worked on the technical side originally.

I really believe that statement because it makes sense.

To be honest it did INDEED look crappy. But I think that was partially cross-gen and alpha footage in that trailer.

Also, people have to realize that next-gen consoles are also only able to give you a certain extend of graphics. Think about it, PS4 can handle around 1080p, XboxOne only - what again...? - ~ 750p or something around that... PC can give you more than 1080p on mid-class PCs and if you have the right hardware it can give you 4k gaming, 4 times more resolution than the PS4. If they showed PC footage, especially since they claimed that PC was the original development platform, it's no wonder the people are upset about the difference. It's a whole world :D I know they showed PS4 footage. But still, I think PS4 graphics were the same since day 1, there was no downgrade. People just got blinded by the PC graphics and the trailer also showed alpha and/or old-gen material and then they flipped :D

1. Money Grabbing and milking? Depends on the Quality of the games and the importance of them in the overall AC story.
2. I am 90% sure they will release Comet for old AND next gen. They would be stupid to not do it that way.

This.

AND THIS. Seriously, I agree 100%.

Look above.

I know that's not exactly what he said, but he said something along these lines.

Yes, but Darby stated that MD might become less, which it already did in AC4. And there was no real story progression in AC4 MD.

Sorry it took a while to reply, baby taking up most of my time.

I'd probably take what Ubi said about WatchDogs with a pinch of salt. Although development began 5 years ago, development is classed as research and brainstorming. Generally, Ubi spend about a year or two brainstorming / researching and making the engine with a very small team, then in the last year or so they pile all their resources into it and then spend the remaining year polishing / marketing.

Also, you have to remember, WatchDogs was confirmed to have began development as a Driver game. regardless of whether or not it was envisioned as a next-gen title, full time development won't have began until around early / mid 2011 (where we got our first glimpse in June 2012).

Anyway, sorry to drift off topic with WD chatter :) It's the same as this to be fair. From what I picked up on, I think Ubi thought next-gen would be ready for AC3. The signs are there, AnvilNext being the biggest one. I'm glad Unity is next-gen only.. as said the benchmark will be so much higher.

Black Flag looked good on next-gen, but it was far from next-gen. It barely made use of what it could. All we got was a higher resolution, fully animated foliage, smoke and better weather effects. I showed a friend AC4 on PS4 after he had played it on his 360, and he wasn't overly impressed. If anything, the smoother resolution only showed up the last-gen textures in a worse light, and the lack of full anti-aliasing made it weird.

Ubi even said in an interview once that Black Flag's lead platform was 360/PS3, and from there they developed the game and handed it over to be 'ported' by a small team of 5-10 people who put it on next-gen. Essentially they would've took the PC version of played about with it. If Unity is primarily on next-gen, they won't waste their time and resources in last-gen textures etc

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Yeah, but if Unity is really being worked on for 3 years, then it will probably still suffer from what happened to Black Flag - the ground was built without them really knowing next gens specs, so they can only improve over what's done. It doesn't help that they are building such vast words, so if graphics is really what people will look at, and not the system in general, AC will probably never impress comparted to other smaller, linear, scripted games.

Mr.GoodKall
03-23-2014, 06:56 PM
I don't know why people want "modern day" so bad. Ubisoft already made a modern day AC for you guys, its called Watch dogs, Splinter cell and The Division. Since that's exactly what a modern day assassin is.

LionHeart XXII
03-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Sorry it took a while to reply, baby taking up most of my time.

Anyway, sorry to drift off topic with WD chatter :) It's the same as this to be fair. From what I picked up on, I think Ubi thought next-gen would be ready for AC3. The signs are there, AnvilNext being the biggest one. I'm glad Unity is next-gen only.. as said the benchmark will be so much higher.

Black Flag looked good on next-gen, but it was far from next-gen. It barely made use of what it could. All we got was a higher resolution, fully animated foliage, smoke and better weather effects. I showed a friend AC4 on PS4 after he had played it on his 360, and he wasn't overly impressed. If anything, the smoother resolution only showed up the last-gen textures in a worse light, and the lack of full anti-aliasing made it weird.

Ubi even said in an interview once that Black Flag's lead platform was 360/PS3, and from there they developed the game and handed it over to be 'ported' by a small team of 5-10 people who put it on next-gen. Essentially they would've took the PC version of played about with it. If Unity is primarily on next-gen, they won't waste their time and resources in last-gen textures etc

i totally agree with this. AC3 seemed like it was originally going to be made for next gen but then got scaled back. that would explain so much. this is why I am so excited for ACU because it is completly made for next-gen.

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't know why people want "modern day" so bad. Ubisoft already made a modern day AC for you guys, its called Watch dogs, Splinter cell and The Division. Since that's exactly what a modern day assassin is.

LOL, When we say "modern day", we don't mean having a modern day AC or any other third person game set in present day (which are nothing like AC, by the way, especially Splinter Cell). What we mean is having AC's own modern day segments holding the past portion together through the actions of a modern day protagonist and a proper goal. It's mainly for the story, not for the core gameplay.

i totally agree with this. AC3 seemed like it was originally going to be made for next gen but then got scaled back. that would explain so much. this is why I am so excited for ACU because it is completly made for next-gen.

There's no way they started working on AC3 so many years ahead of next gen. Production began back in 2009, if I'm not wrong, right after AC2 was released. That was way too son. Even for Black Flag they had no ideia what next gen would be able to pull off, imagine with AC3.

VoXngola
03-23-2014, 08:46 PM
I don't quite believe the "over 3 years" statement. I think they are just saying that on purpose, so your everyday-gamer thinks "ohh!! they've been working on this game for soo long! I'm sure it'll be great".

I said this in another thread, but Amancio started on AC:U as the creative director in June 2012. It makes more sense to say that AC:U has been in development for 2 years instead of 3, because that would mean they started working on it when the Black Flag team started, which is kinda wierd. We can only wait for some interviews with the game developers. If I remember right, they mention the start of the development of their games pretty often.

Whatever, we will probably never really know. All we can do is wait and hope that the game turns out to be great :).

Layytez
03-23-2014, 09:00 PM

We want it for the story, not the gameplay. The modern day is there and holds the reasons why we go back in time in the first place otherwise what would be the point ? Without it we would just be gong back in the animus to different time periods but for what ?

lothario-da-be
03-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I don't quite believe the "over 3 years" statement. I think they are just saying that on purpose, so your everyday-gamer thinks "ohh!! they've been working on this game for soo long! I'm sure it'll be great".

I said this in another thread, but Amancio started on AC:U as the creative director in June 2012. It makes more sense to say that AC:U has been in development for 2 years instead of 3, because that would mean they started working on it when the Black Flag team started, which is kinda wierd. We can only wait for some interviews with the game developers. If I remember right, they mention the start of the development of their games pretty often.

Whatever, we will probably never really know. All we can do is wait and hope that the game turns out to be great :).
I agree, Alex could have joined later though. But 3 years now already? if you count the development of anvilnext maybe, but no-way 3 years of actual development. They also have comet and the ac 2015 in production. That makes 3-4 ac games at the same time.

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I think they are coming up with this 3 years talk just so we can think they are having time to pop up those games lol. I don't think it's a lie, but it's probably counting every single second ever since they said "let's plan the one after that one".

Farlander1991
03-23-2014, 10:22 PM
I think they are coming up with this 3 years talk just so we can think they are having time to pop up those games lol. I don't think it's a lie, but it's probably counting every single second ever since they said "let's plan the one after that one".

Pre-production is a very important aspect of any development and is important as production, though.

Speaking of next-gen, PS4 and Xbox One have started their development at around 2008 and 2010 respectively, and Sony was actually talking to a lot of developers regarding the next gen throughout, like, a lot of their PS4 development time.

No doubt Unity went through different iterations in regards to its technology as nothing was set in stone until 2013, but during development they still could definitely target next-gen (at least they knew they could go a lot farther than the PS3/X360 platforms and then adjust as required)

ACIV was a more complex beast due to its compatibility with last-gen.

frodrigues55
03-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Pre-production is a very important aspect of any development and is important as production, though.

It certainly is, but the way it is said may lead people to think how everything has been in actual production for 3 years, when it could be just one. The way I see it, they keep saying how many years the game are being developed as a way to counter balance the annual releases backlash from some people. It certainly helps their case, even if that wasn't the intention.

Dome500
03-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Pre-production is a very important aspect of any development and is important as production, though

This

It certainly is, but the way it is said may lead people to think how everything has been in actual production for 3 years, when it could be just one. The way I see it, they keep saying how many years the game are being developed as a way to counter balance the annual releases backlash from some people. It certainly helps their case, even if that wasn't the intention.

I depends on the game how long pre-production is. But this is very important. Pre-prudction is where they start planning the project, where all ideas are thrown in and where they determine what their actual goal is, their vision they want to make true for this game. Pre-Production is everything that does NOT have anything to do with actually building the game. It's concept, pre-level design, organization, determination of parameters, etc.

SO you can not say "actually this is only X years in production because the first X months were pre-production. No, pre-production is PART of the production, which means that itis CRUCIAL to the project.

Bu now go ahead and think about a game like Revelations (production time 10 months) and try to divide it into pre-production (normally some months), game-building/development and polishing/Q&A. And now tell me, what do you think how much time can go into that? :D

A "normal" game takes at least 2 - 4 years. And pre-production is a big and crucial part in it.

Mr.GoodKall
03-24-2014, 04:10 AM
LOL, When we say "modern day", we don't mean having a modern day AC or any other third person game set in present day (which are nothing like AC, by the way, especially Splinter Cell). What we mean is having AC's own modern day segments holding the past portion together through the actions of a modern day protagonist and a proper goal. It's mainly for the story, not for the core gameplay.

OOooo haha ok yea that I get.