PDA

View Full Version : AC 5 Next Gen Only

Poodle_of_Doom
03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
http://games.yahoo.com/news/leaked-images-hint-amazing-next-assassin-creed-game-195136944.html

This is kind of an interesting article, in that it suggest that the next AC game will be next gen only.

pirate1802
03-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Good morning. :)

DanPenfold
03-21-2014, 03:33 PM
This is not right they will not do that. Okay so do not worry.:p

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 03:52 PM
This is not right they will not do that. Okay so do not worry.:p

No they already confirmed they are.

Unity is current gen.

Comet is last gen.

Of course I'll be in the PC master race so I'll be getting both. :rolleyes:

pirate1802
03-21-2014, 04:47 PM
They didn't actually confirm that did they? But yeah.. Master racer here as well, so what do I care? :D (Admittedly they might be poorly optimized like all recent ACs but hey, you can't have your apple and eat it too) :p

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 05:17 PM
They didn't actually confirm that did they? But yeah.. Master racer here as well, so what do I care? :D (Admittedly they might be poorly optimized like all recent ACs but hey, you can't have your apple and eat it too) :p

Wait, they were poorly optimized? Elaborate please. I recently bought black flag gold edition. I don't want to regret that descision. :(

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Wait, they were poorly optimized? Elaborate please. I recently bought black flag gold edition. I don't want to regret that descision. :(
Assassin's Creed is considered one of the most unoptimised games ever created. My GTX 760 cannot handle it at max settings. AC4 was much better in these terms, but still, the target was to maintain 30 frames per second, so the whole thing is not that optimised for 60. What's your GPU?

Dome500
03-21-2014, 05:23 PM

The PC version always has problems.

Controls, technical issues, etc.

But I think AC4 did WAY better than AC3 or Splinter Cell Balcklist, or Ghost Recon Future Soldier in that regard.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Assassin's Creed is considered one of the most unoptimised games ever created. My GTX 760 cannot handle it at max settings. AC4 was much better in these terms, but still, the target was to maintain 30 frames per second, so the whole thing is not that optimised for 60. What's your GPU?

I haven't purchased a PC yet, but I plan on buying this one with my budget:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-desktop-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/3343059.p?id=1219090457165&skuId=3343059

Can it run the game smoothly on standard settings?

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 05:51 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-desktop-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/3343059.p?id=1219090457165&skuId=3343059

I 'm afraid not... :(:(:(
If that is your budget, you should better buy a PS4 or save up to spend at least 750 euros on a gaming PC.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 05:56 PM
If that is your budget, you should better buy a PS4 or save up to spend at least 750 euros on a gaming PC.

I already have a PS4. I just like to have all my AC games on steam.

Can you explain what about this PC is bad for a game to run 30fps in minimum HD? Like what specs need to be upgraded and to what reccomended amount?

I used to be a Mac user but after getting a steam account I've wanted a PC. I have 22+ steam games and most can't run on my mac. I wanna make sure I buy the right PC. I was thinking of buying the one I posted and just buying a new graphics card and other upgrades after DirectX 12 is released Holiday 2015.

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Can you explain what about this PC is bad for a game to run 30fps in minimum HD? Like what specs need to be upgraded and to what reccomended amount?

I used to be a Mac user but after getting a steam account I've wanted a PC. I have 22+ steam games and most can't run on my mac. I wanna make sure I buy the right PC. I was thinking of buying the one I posted and just buying a new graphics card and other upgrades after DirectX 12 is released Holiday 2015.
All of those PC components are great for gaming, apart from the graphics card. The Intel 4600 Graphics is a very weak card. If you buy this PC and change the graphics card with a GTX 770, a GTX 780 or a GTX 860 (when it's released), then you are good to go. But, with the Intel 4600, you won't really enjoy your games.

roostersrule2
03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
No way it will be next gen only that's dumb.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
All of those PC components are great for gaming, apart from the graphics card. The Intel 4600 Graphics is a very weak card. If you buy this PC and change the graphics card with a GTX 770, a GTX 770 or a GTX 860 (when it's released), then you are good to go. But, with the Intel 4600, you won't really enjoy your games.

I'm used to playing on low quality nintendo games, so I can deal with the graphics for now. On medium settings, can I expect to experience no lag? My biggest problem with my mac was that it lagged soooo much and the frame rate was so bad the characters walking only had 3 frames of animation when moving.

Also, can you post me a link to the GTX 860? I tried searching for something like that but was unsure what I should be looking for. Presumably it will run fine with DirectX 12?

Ubisoft already confirmed it....

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 06:04 PM
It will be. Another game will be for the PS3 and the X360.

Will_Lucky
03-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Hey, better than having the 360/PS3/Wii U holding it back. They also need consoles to get off shelves, something a cross-gen title won't achieve.

Save your money for now, no point on buying until we see how AC5 runs on PC. Its next-gen only so that changes things around as the bar is raised without the 360 and PS3 holding it back. Specs will likely significantly jump as a result.

roostersrule2
03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Good riddance, past gen is such a burden to the modern games.

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 06:10 PM
I'm used to playing on low quality nintendo games, so I can deal with the graphics for now. On medium settings, can I expect to experience no lag? My biggest problem with my mac was that it lagged soooo much and the frame rate was so bad the characters walking only had 3 frames of animation when moving.
Here is a video of the Intel 4600 playing AC4 on the lowest settings. On the top right of the screen you can see the framerate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3KxKfNEcKAAlso

can you post me a link to the GTX 860? I tried searching for something like that but was unsure what I should be looking for. Presumably it will run fine with DirectX 12?
Nvidia is accustomed to release their video cards in a format, like: Series 5xx, 6xx, 7xx. Now, series 7xx (750, 750 Ti, 760, 770, 780, 780 Ti) is out. Pressumably, the next series is going to be like 8xx. It's not released yet. So, when it is released (might take a while), you could buy the GTX 860.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Hey, better than having the 360/PS3/Wii U holding it back. They also need consoles to get off shelves, something a cross-gen title won't achieve.

Save your money for now, no point on buying until we see how AC5 runs on PC. Its next-gen only so that changes things around as the bar is raised without the 360 and PS3 holding it back. Specs will likely significantly jump as a result.

But I'd be able to upgrade though, wouldn't I?

Plus I can't play any of my games until I get a PC. Some in which are last gen games. :(

Here is a video of the Intel 4600 playing AC4 on the lowest settings. On the top right of the screen you can see the framerate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3KxKfNEcKAAlso

Nvidia is accustomed to release their video cards in a format, like: Series 5xx, 6xx, 7xx. Now, series 7xx (750, 750 Ti, 760, 770, 780, 780 Ti) is out. Pressumably, the next series is going to be like 8xx. It's not released yet. So, when it is released (might take a while), you could buy the GTX 860.

Ah, thought you were the other guy for a second. XD

thanks for the information

Also, is the Razer sabertooth compatible with Assassin's Creed games? It's technically an xbox controller...

edit: game runs much smoother than expected. At least compared to my Mac XD

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I agree, you 'd better save your money for now, since you have a PS4. However, I do not agree with the last part. The PS4 and the X1 are not very strong machines (nothing like the PS3 and the X360 back in the day). Nowadays, a mid-ranged PC has got better performance than both the PS4 and the X1 (mid-ranged = GTX 760 and up, Intel i5 and up). Moreover, the transition to the PS4 and the X1 could mean better optimisation for PC versions, hence better performance.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Firstly, don't waste money on a system. Learn how to build one yourself. It's really simple, and you'll save money.

That system is absolutely fine for AC, but you'll need a 650Ti or above to really enjoy yourself (bearing in mind that "above" does not only mean 600 or 700 series cards - the 570 is better than the 650Ti, the 670 is better than the 750Ti). Ignore anyone telling you "I've got a 760 and I can't max out". There are settings you're not supposed to be able to use. Only dual-GPU systems or top end cards should expect to make use of PhysX, for instance. A lot of people assume that card memory is all about textures, but actually it's more about handling anti-aliasing and high resolutions than it is textures. AA will eat up card memory, but AC4 added TXAA options which don't chew your card's resources in the same way (and they generally looked better, for representing the ships' rigging as pleasant-looking ropes instead of crawling dotted lines of ugliness).

So, a 650Ti will cost very little, and if you switch off PhysX and stick to TXAA, it's going to look beautiful at 1080p. You'll get a better frame rate with a 750Ti. If you're buying new, the difference between a 650Ti and a 750Ti is so slight you might as well get the 750Ti. If you're looking at higher end cards and want to future-proof your PC, get a GTX770 and nothing higher than that. It's the best balance of price, performance, and energy use right now.

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Also, is the Razer sabertooth compatible with Assassin's Creed games? It's technically an xbox controller...
I don't know that, sorry.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:17 PM
I take it back. the frame rate when edward is on the island is pretty bad. Unless that's youtube that's stuttering.

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Yeah, that PC ain't gonna game much. You're gonna have to at least stick a decent video card into it. That is assuming it is very upgradeable at all ... surely it is.

People who do not want to build a gaming PC or pay big $$ for top end gamer PCs, should probably stick to consoles.

Heck, even I stick to consoles for some games. But Far Cry, Crysis, and AC4 were worth the trouble and $$ to play on PC. I am thinking Watch Dogs will be a PC title for me too. Someday I'll go next gen and that move more titles to the console for a while ... until my mid-level PC budget jumps ahead again.

AherasSTRG
03-21-2014, 06:20 PM
So, a 650Ti will cost very little, and if you switch off PhysX and stick to TXAA, it's going to look beautiful at 1080p. You'll get a better frame rate with a 750Ti. If you're buying new, the difference between a 650Ti and a 750Ti is so slight you might as well get the 750Ti. If you're looking at higher end cards and want to future-proof your PC, get a GTX770 and nothing higher than that. It's the best balance of price, performance, and energy use right now.
I would suggest using MSAA to TXAA, it does not look as good as the latter, but it gives a much more vibrant and less blurry picture. I personally play all my games with either FXAA or MSAAx2, because I really cannot see any difference between the AA methods. Except for really density AA methods, like CSAAx16 and such.

guardian_titan
03-21-2014, 06:23 PM
On standard settings, that computer should run AC fine, Mayice. The only thing I would recommend is buying a better graphics card. The integrated Intel graphics chips are terrible for most gaming.

I run the AC franchise fine on:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
16 GB RAM
ATi Radeon HD 7700
i5-3570k GPU
128 GB SSD (main drive)
3 TB 7200 RPM HD (secondard drive with AC installed)

I can do AC3 on max settings no problem. I had a Radeon HD 3870 before that and ran on the lowest settings without too much trouble. Had FPS issues in Boston and New York but nothing game killing. Managed to steal AC4 out from a friend some weeks ago to play test a bit and ran that fine on default settings. I wasn't on high and doing so killed my computer, but it was fine on medium. Only issues I have with the series is my keyboard tends to randomly stop functioning so I have to wait for it to respond again. Got me killed on several occasions and screwed me over on 100% sync from time to time. Wireless keyboard/mouse which wasn't my smartest idea, but it was either wireless or have my cat or dog pull my keyboard and mouse off my desk every 5 minutes. :p

The advantage you have, Mayice, is you're running the game on a brand new computer. Most people who run the game have who knows what installed on their systems that may be conflicting. You also have the advantage of having a warranty and tech support from a retailer to help you sort out issues. It's in their best interest to help you because then they have to deal with you returning the system otherwise and losing you to a competitor.

The thing is, everyone has different views on what's playable. For some, they're happy running on low with 20 fps. For others, nothing less than 60 fps on max is playable. It's a matter of opinion. I like my textures so I'll be happy to run everything else on low if I can have my textures on max while keeping a steady 20 fps. I tend to keep textures on max and inch up the other settings until I find a happy medium.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Ah so many posts. I'll read them all in a second!

Firstly, don't waste money on a system. Learn how to build one yourself. It's really simple, and you'll save money.

That system is absolutely fine for AC, but you'll need a 650Ti or above to really enjoy yourself (bearing in mind that "above" does not only mean 600 or 700 series cards - the 570 is better than the 650Ti, the 670 is better than the 750Ti). Ignore anyone telling you "I've got a 760 and I can't max out". There are settings you're not supposed to be able to use. Only dual-GPU systems or top end cards should expect to make use of PhysX, for instance. A lot of people assume that card memory is all about textures, but actually it's more about handling anti-aliasing and high resolutions than it is textures. AA will eat up card memory, but AC4 added TXAA options which don't chew your card's resources in the same way (and they generally looked better, for representing the ships' rigging as pleasant-looking ropes instead of crawling dotted lines of ugliness).

This information helps a lot thanks.

Unfortunatley for reasons I cannot say I can't go and built a PC.

I read a review of the PC i wanted to buy and saw the graphics card was built in the motherboard, however.

Can you ,or anyone else, reccomend a fairly inexpensive PC with upgradable parts and decent hard drive/ram/cpu/gpu?

Will_Lucky
03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Right, you've all been running the game fine on a title that has the 360/PS3 as a reference. This could be entirely different.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Yeah, that PC ain't gonna game much. You're gonna have to at least stick a decent video card into it. That is assuming it is very upgradeable at all ... surely it is.

People who do not want to build a gaming PC or pay big $$ for top end gamer PCs, should probably stick to consoles.

Heck, even I stick to consoles for some games. But Far Cry, Crysis, and AC4 were worth the trouble and $$ to play on PC. I am thinking Watch Dogs will be a PC title for me too. Someday I'll go next gen and that move more titles to the console for a while ... until my mid-level PC budget jumps ahead again.

That's very misleading. The CPU is fine for years to come, and that's plenty of RAM for a gaming computer. Its only weak point is the graphics card.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I would suggest using MSAA to TXAA, it does not look as good as the latter, but it gives a much more vibrant and less blurry picture. I personally play all my games with either FXAA or MSAAx2, because I really cannot see any difference between the AA methods. Except for really density AA methods, like CSAAx16 and such.

I don't even know what FXAA MSAA or TXAA is D:

On standard settings, that computer should run AC fine, Mayice. The only thing I would recommend is buying a better graphics card. The integrated Intel graphics chips are terrible for most gaming.

I run the AC franchise fine on:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
16 GB RAM
ATi Radeon HD 7700
i5-3570k GPU
128 GB SSD (main drive)
3 TB 7200 RPM HD (secondard drive with AC installed)

I can do AC3 on max settings no problem. I had a Radeon HD 3870 before that and ran on the lowest settings without too much trouble. Had FPS issues in Boston and New York but nothing game killing. Managed to steal AC4 out from a friend some weeks ago to play test a bit and ran that fine on default settings. I wasn't on high and doing so killed my computer, but it was fine on medium. Only issues I have with the series is my keyboard tends to randomly stop functioning so I have to wait for it to respond again. Got me killed on several occasions and screwed me over on 100% sync from time to time. Wireless keyboard/mouse which wasn't my smartest idea, but it was either wireless or have my cat or dog pull my keyboard and mouse off my desk every 5 minutes. :p

The advantage you have, Mayice, is you're running the game on a brand new computer. Most people who run the game have who knows what installed on their systems that may be conflicting. You also have the advantage of having a warranty and tech support from a retailer to help you sort out issues. It's in their best interest to help you because then they have to deal with you returning the system otherwise and losing you to a competitor.

The thing is, everyone has different views on what's playable. For some, they're happy running on low with 20 fps. For others, nothing less than 60 fps on max is playable. It's a matter of opinion. I like my textures so I'll be happy to run everything else on low if I can have my textures on max while keeping a steady 20 fps. I tend to keep textures on max and inch up the other settings until I find a happy medium.

Can you reccomend me a PC then that's relatively inexpensive and fully upgradable? I'm not looking to build one. I would love to eventually get the specs you have.

AherasSTRG
Right, you've all been running the game fine on a title that has the 360/PS3 as a reference. This could be entirely different.
Mayrice is looking for a PC to play AC4.
As far as ACU is concerned, I will still go for what I said above. The PS4 and the X1 are not strong machines. They is just so much their limited hardware can do.

D.I.D.

That's fair, everyone picks a favourite method that suits their system. I'm just suggesting TXAA since it's the most resource-light option. I tend to go by elimination of the most distracting artefacts, which in AC4 was definitely those ropes!

rcole_sooner
I went i5 ... so I agree the CPU is fine ... don't know about for years .. but for a while.

...that and lack of info about the MB...

The question is ... is it upgradeable to a nice i7 4th gen CPU? What PCI busses does it suppot? What memory? What chipset?

But yeah, it will play games on settings equal the current gen consoles.

But I would not want to spend $500 for that ... seems I'd rather get a next gen console for that. Or spend the $1K to get a PC is at least equal to the next gen consoles ... and have room to upgrade past them.

Dome500
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Yeah, gaming PC is about 700 - 800 € if you know where to look for good quality with reasonable prizes.

I would recommend an Intel i5 or i7 quad core with at least 3,2 Ghz and a Nvidia Gefore GTX 760 - 780, or even waiting for a Nvidia GTX 800 series (Maxwell architecture).
That should get your through the first 2 - 3 years of next gen with reasonable high - average graphic settings.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
The specs that were on the PC I posted are fine except for the graphics card it seems. And it so happensthe graphics card is built-in thus non-upgradable unless certain methods are used that I rather not try. :(

But so far thanks for all the informations guys. I'm really learning so much :D

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:32 PM
I went i5 ... so I agree the CPU is fine ... don't know about for years .. but for a while.

...that and lack of info about the MB...

The question is ... is it upgradeable to a nice i7 4th gen CPU? What PCI busses does it suppot? What memory? What chipset?

But yeah, it will play games on settings equal the current gen consoles.

But I would not want to spend $500 for that ... seems I'd rather get a next gen console for that. Or spend the $1K to get a PC is at least equal to the next gen consoles ... and have room to upgrade past them.

Right now I'm just trying to get a fully upgradable decent PC that I don't have to build.

Yeah, gaming PC is about 700 - 800 € if you know where to look for good quality with reasonable prizes.

I would recommend an Intel i5 or i7 quad core with at least 3,2 Ghz and a Nvidia Gefore GTX 760 - 780, or even waiting for a Nvidia GTX 800 series (Maxwell architecture).
That should get your through the first 2 - 3 years of next gen with reasonable high - average graphic settings.

Ah. I can invest 200 more dollars. it would mean waiting until around late 2014-early 2015 for me though before I could probably get it though.

Dome500
03-21-2014, 06:32 PM
The specs that were on the PC I posted are fine except for the graphics card it seems. And it so happensthe graphics card is built-in thus non-upgradable unless certain methods are used that I rather not try.

Wut?

Are you talking about a Laptop? Because if you have a normal Tower PC there is nothing easier than removing an old graphic card and installing a new. Seriously, a child could do it.

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 06:33 PM
All the i core CPUs, have the HD graphics built into them .. it is not on the MB like it used to be ... AFAIK.

As long as the MB supports add-on graphics cards and other upgrades you are not limited to the built-in CPU video specs.

..that is the question with pre-built systems .... how upgradeable are they?

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Ah so many posts. I'll read them all in a second!

This information helps a lot thanks.

Unfortunatley for reasons I cannot say I can't go and built a PC.

I read a review of the PC i wanted to buy and saw the graphics card was built in the motherboard, however.

Can you ,or anyone else, reccomend a fairly inexpensive PC with upgradable parts and decent hard drive/ram/cpu/gpu?

That's difficult since you're in a US market and I'm in the UK, but I would strongly recommend getting a system with an SSD. I've tried AC4 on a machine which used an SSHD (a hybrid drive: traditional HD storage with a small SSD cache component), and although that's better than a normal HDD, the load times for AC4 were pretty extreme. You'll spend a lot of time jogging in the Animus white room on an ordinary hard drive.

With an SSD, those load times are much smaller. UK prices are about £85 and upwards for a 250GB SSD now, and £170 and up for a 500GB. We pay more for our tech than you, so your price will be even lower. Do that, you won't regret it.

Nobody's benchmarks show any significant performance improvement in DDR3 RAM over 1600 speed, so stick with that if you can. An i51440 is a good buy right now if you don't intend to overlock, and the chips for OCing are marked "K" (4670K, for example). If you don't intend to overclock, there's not much reason to pay that premium. GHz speed is not a strict indicator of performance, so check reviews for comparisons. A 3.1Ghz i5 4440 will perform almost as well as a 3.4GHz i5 4670.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Wut?

Are you talking about a Laptop? Because if you have a normal Tower PC there is nothing easier than removing an old graphic card and installing a new. Seriously, a child could do it.

No, I'm talking about a desktop. And I don't like risking opening up my systems and voiding a warranty. Especially since I'm dumb and have screwed up computers in the past.

edit: might void warranty either way actually.

I just don't like performing surgery on a computerDX

All the i core CPUs, have the HD graphics built into them .. it is not on the MB like it used to be ... AFAIK.

As long as the MB supports add-on graphics cards and other upgrades you are not limited to the built-in CPU video specs.

..that is the question with pre-built systems .... how upgradeable are they?

MB?.......I'm so clueless. I feel like a walmart customor just wanting to pick the color of the blender I want, regardless of specs. Something that's upgradable and gets the job done.XD

That's difficult since you're in a US market and I'm in the UK, but I would strongly recommend getting a system with an SSD. I've tried AC4 on a machine which used an SSHD (a hybrid drive: traditional HD storage with a small SSD cache component), and although that's better than a normal HDD, the load times for AC4 were pretty extreme. You'll spend a lot of time jogging in the Animus white room on an ordinary hard drive.

With an SSD, those load times are much smaller. UK prices are about £85 and upwards for a 250GB SSD now, and £170 and up for a 500GB. We pay more for our tech than you, so your price will be even lower. Do that, you won't regret it.

SSD? Hybrid drive? HHD? My braaaain. does. not. compute. Im too stupid. DX

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 06:44 PM
I would strongly suggest a next gen console ... then just kick back and enjoy the game.

It will cost you far less, and be much less trouble to keep going over the years.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I would strongly suggest a next gen console ... then just kick back and enjoy the game.

It will cost you far less, and be much less trouble to keep going over the years.

I already have a PS4. I want the convenience of having all my AC games on PC+free online+backwards compatability+access to most DLC+really good sales+mods+ I plan to eventually upgrade my PC to best settings possible years down the line when I can afford to upgrade regularly.

right now im just trying to find something that can run decently and can upgrade ram/hardrive/cpu/gpu

my ps4 and wii u are soley for console exclusives like infamous second son, final fantasy 15, kingdom hearts, and zelda.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 06:48 PM
SSD? Hybrid drive? HHD? My braaaain. does. not. compute. Im too stupid. DX

:D Sorry!

An HDD (hard drive) is the type of storage people have been using in PCs for decades: spinning discs inside a box, with a read/write head that physically moves around the platter. These are slow, and they create noise and heat, and use more power. Their one advantage is that if they malfunction, the data is often recoverable.

An SSD (solid state drive) is storage consisting of NAND Flash chips on a circuit board. Your smartphone uses this kind of storage. It has no moving parts, and its more resistant to knocks, it's silent, its very fast, and uses very little power and doesn't contribute to heat problems inside the PC case. The only drawback of SSD is that if it malfunctions, the data is not recoverable.

So a standard HDD gets you a very poor data speed, whereas a decent SSD can read and write data at about 500 megabytes per second, using a type of connector called SATAIII. That's plenty for your games. Some specialist users is the video editing and 24-bit audio professions are using SSDs which use Apple's Thunderbolt system, or even plug directly into the PCIe slots on the motherboard that are usually used for graphics cards, but don't worry about that for now!

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 06:50 PM
:D Sorry!

An HDD (hard drive) is the type of storage people have been using in PCs for decades: spinning discs inside a box, with a read/write head that physically moves around the platter. These are slow, and they create noise and heat, and use more power. Their one advantage is that if they malfunction, the data is often recoverable.

An SSD (solid state drive) is storage consisting of NAND Flash chips on a circuit board. Your smartphone uses this kind of storage. It has no moving parts, and its more resistant to knocks, it's silent, its very fast, and uses very little power and doesn't contribute to heat problems inside the PC case. The only drawback of SSD is that if it malfunctions, the data is not recoverable.

So a standard HDD gets you a very poor data speed, whereas a decent SSD can read and write data at about 500 megabytes per second, using a type of connector called SATAIII. That's plenty for your games. Some specialist users is the video editing and 24-bit audio professions are using SSDs which use Apple's Thunderbolt system, or even plug directly into the PCIe slots on the motherboard that are usually used for graphics cards, but don't worry about that for now!

Ah okay thanks! I'm learning a lot from this! :D

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Ah okay thanks! I'm learning a lot from this! :D

You're welcome!

I should point out that an SSD won't make a lot of difference to frame rates. This is still the domain of the graphics card, really. However, Brotherhood only unlocked the top speed of gallop for horses if you used an SSD, since the game needed to be able to load data from the new area fast enough to cope with that.

There hasn't really been anything like that since then in the AC series, but any open world game will drag a tiny bit while it loads a chunk of new data. So, your overall frame rate won't be noticeably higher in an SSD system, but you should get fewer framerate drops and a more stable experience.

poptartz20
03-21-2014, 07:02 PM
ahh.. I"m ready to go as it is anyways. Next Gen or not! Woo! :D

buut not gonna lie if I didn't have one I would be kinda upset that they haven't announced anything for last gen now.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 07:03 PM
You're welcome!

I should point out that an SSD won't make a lot of difference to frame rates. This is still the domain of the graphics card, really. However, Brotherhood only unlocked the top speed of gallop for horses if you used an SSD, since the game needed to be able to load data from the new area fast enough to cope with that.

There hasn't really been anything like that since then in the AC series, but any open world game will drag a tiny bit while it loads a chunk of new data. So, your overall frame rate won't be noticeably higher in an SSD system, but you should get fewer framerate drops and a more stable experience.

I see. Thanks.

Now I just wait for PC recommendations. Ones that are fully upgradable and I don't have to build.

My ideal PC would be (if I had infinite money)
i5 or i7 core processor with 64 bit 3.2 GHz
8+ RAM
1 TB hard drive
570 or 640 or 780 series graphics card (or 800 series when DirectX 12 comes out)
version 8.1(because games will require them eventually despite me disliking the interface)

All in which are hopefully upgradable. But that's ideal PC. I'm looking for something that can be upgraded to that easily.

I don't understand what GHz are for but I've had people reccomend I get no less than 3.2

anything else I should pay attention to when buying a PC? (aside from cost)

Also, how can I tell if a PC is fully upgradable and parts not built into the motherboard?

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Actually I think an easier question would be what PCs did you guys buy and can you post me links to them? (disregard if built PC) :D

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 07:31 PM
I built mine. The wishlist is public on newegg. Kind of a special biuld as I had an old HTPC case I really liked that stuff had to fit into.

My parts totaled about $900. Built around an i5 4th gen CPU and Geforce 770.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 07:39 PM
I built mine. The wishlist is public on newegg. Kind of a special biuld as I had an old HTPC case I really liked that stuff had to fit into.

My parts totaled about $900. Built around an i5 4th gen CPU and Geforce 770.

900 is out of my price range...

is yours upgradable?

Will_Lucky
03-21-2014, 07:44 PM
I'd genuinely stick to the PS4 for this game and get a PC when more becomes clearer. 800 Series should be out as well by the end of the year.

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 07:46 PM
900 is out of my price range...

is yours upgradable?

I hope ... at least a couple of times.

Actually $320 of the $900 was all video card (and a code for the AC4BF download). I could have made do with the Intel HD graphics, and added the graphics card later (but then I'd of had to buy the game).

I hope to upgrade the video card a couple of times. The 2nd video card upgrade will probably get an i7 CPU too.

However, I may just upgrade the CPU the 1st time around.

Also I have 8gb of memory installed and it can go up to 32gb. Then I could get an SSD to go with my HDD.

That should get me out maybe 3 more years ... 5 would be pushing it.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 07:55 PM
570 or 640 or 780 series graphics card (or 800 series when DirectX 12 comes out)

Not 640! [x]40 and under are strictly display cards, intended for a non-gaming audience that just uses their PCs for browsing the internet, watching films and using desktop apps that don't rely on moving images (such as Photoshop). They will play games, but poorly. [x]50 is the minimum you should look for as a gaming card.

All in which are hopefully upgradable. But that's ideal PC. I'm looking for something that can be upgraded to that easily.

If you don't want to get into building a PC, is upgrading an important factor? I build a new system roughly every five years or so. I'm likely to swap to a new graphics card once during that time. That's about the only upgrade you're likely to need.

I don't understand what GHz are for but I've had people reccomend I get no less than 3.2

GHz is gigahertz, the operational speed of a processor. It's not a perfect measure of a chip's computational power at all. One chip that is techinically slower may complete operations much faster than a higher GHz chip. You only need to look at AMD's line-up to see the problem with thinking high GHz means high performance. Those CPUs need to be clocked much higher than their Intel equivalents to achieve parity in operational standards.

anything else I should pay attention to when buying a PC? (aside from cost)

Personally, I find noise to be a very important factor. That's partly because I work with audio and need to be able to hear soft sounds well, but I think it's a major thing anyway. Some PCs sound like a jet engine taking off, and you'd need to be wearing headphones to cut out the sound they make. I also consider power consumption to be a big deal. Many people insist that you're a mug if you buy Intel and nVidia because AMD is so much cheaper, but I think that's a mistake. The greater efficiency of Intel and nVidia's hardware means cooler computers that are quieter, and importantly cost less to run. A teenager whose parents pay the electricity bills might not care, but if it's your name on the account then an AMD-based gaming machine is going to cost dramatically more in the long run than the "more expensive" Intel/nVidia option.

Also, how can I tell if a PC is fully upgradable and parts not built into the motherboard?

Nothing is built into the motherboard in most systems. Some very rare motherboards have the CPU built in, but they are unusual. The only component that is regularly integrated into the system is the graphics processor. Many recent Intel and AMD CPUs incorporate what's called IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) as standard. This means that even if no "discrete" (card) graphics processing was attached to the machine, there would be sufficient grunt in the IGP to allow you to run a display direct from the motherboard. However, IGPs are only just about usable for gaming, and none that you can buy right now are a good idea for you. Maybe IGPs in 2015/2016 might begin to replace a card, but for the time being you need a card too.

Don't reject a system that mentions an IGP, as I say. The presence of an IGP in a modern CPU is simply a standard combination - as long as you've got a card in that system too, it's the card that will take over the gaming work.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 08:03 PM
I hope ... at least a couple of times.

Actually $320 of the $900 was all video card (and a code for the AC4BF download). I could have made do with the Intel HD graphics, and added the graphics card later (but then I'd of had to buy the game).

I hope to upgrade the video card a couple of times. The 2nd video card upgrade will probably get an i7 CPU too.

However, I may just upgrade the CPU the 1st time around.

Also I have 8gb of memory installed and it can go up to 32gb. Then I could get an SSD to go with my HDD.

That should get me out maybe 3 more years ... 5 would be pushing it.

I wish I could do that but I break everything I touch (/ono)/

not really but I suck at building things even when the intructions are as dumbed down as it gets. I tried to do a procedure to fix a hinge in a laptop and it required opening up the laptop and messing with bits of things and I couldn't even manage that.

I might actually consider building a PC because so far most pre-built PCs I've seen are non-upgradable in some ways.

So now I specified what I wanted in a PC, have a 0-600 dollar budget, and now I don't know what to do. I heard something about newegg? I suck at building anything and don't want to buy parts just for it to be waste due to my stupidity.

Not 640! [x]40 and under are strictly display cards, intended for a non-gaming audience that just uses their PCs for browsing the internet, watching films and using desktop apps that don't rely on moving images (such as Photoshop). They will play games, but poorly. [x]50 is the minimum you should look for as a gaming card.

If you don't want to get into building a PC, is upgrading an important factor? I build a new system roughly every five years or so. I'm likely to swap to a new graphics card once during that time. That's about the only upgrade you're likely to need.

GHz is gigahertz, the operational speed of a processor. It's not a perfect measure of a chip's computational power at all. One chip that is techinically slower may complete operations much faster than a higher GHz chip. You only need to look at AMD's line-up to see the problem with thinking high GHz means high performance. Those CPUs need to be clocked much higher than their Intel equivalents to achieve parity in operational standards.

Personally, I find noise to be a very important factor. That's partly because I work with audio and need to be able to hear soft sounds well, but I think it's a major thing anyway. Some PCs sound like a jet engine taking off, and you'd need to be wearing headphones to cut out the sound they make. I also consider power consumption to be a big deal. Many people insist that you're a mug if you buy Intel and nVidia because AMD is so much cheaper, but I think that's a mistake. The greater efficiency of Intel and nVidia's hardware means cooler computers that are quieter, and importantly cost less to run. A teenager whose parents pay the electricity bills might not care, but if it's your name on the account then an AMD-based gaming machine is going to cost dramatically more in the long run than the "more expensive" Intel/nVidia option.

Nothing is built into the motherboard in most systems. Some very rare motherboards have the CPU built in, but they are unusual. The only component that is regularly integrated into the system is the graphics processor. Many recent Intel and AMD CPUs incorporate what's called IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) as standard. This means that even if no "discrete" (card) graphics processing was attached to the machine, there would be sufficient grunt in the IGP to allow you to run a display direct from the motherboard. However, IGPs are only just about usable for gaming, and none that you can buy right now are a good idea for you. Maybe IGPs in 2015/2016 might begin to replace a card, but for the time being you need a card too.

Don't reject a system that mentions an IGP, as I say. The presence of an IGP in a modern CPU is simply a standard combination - as long as you've got a card in that system too, it's the card that will take over the gaming work.

This helped a lot. Thanks

okay I think I might build a PC

i5 or i7 core processor 3.2 GHZ 64 bit
570, 650, 750 or 780 graphics card
Windows 8.1
8GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive

All upgradable.

0-600 dollar budget

That's all I know I want. I know nothing about motherboards or anything. What do I do with this information if I want to build a PC?

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 08:16 PM

not really but I suck at building things even when the intructions are as dumbed down as it gets. I tried to do a procedure to fix a hinge in a laptop and it required opening up the laptop and messing with bits of things and I couldn't even manage that.

I might actually consider building a PC because so far most pre-built PCs I've seen are non-upgradable in some ways.

So now I specified what I wanted in a PC, have a 0-600 dollar budget, and now I don't know what to do. I heard something about newegg? I suck at building anything and don't want to buy parts just for it to be waste due to my stupidity.

Get someone to help you who has done it before, maybe?

The only complicated bit of building a PC is attaching the CPU cooler to the CPU. This can be a bit fiddly, and there's a thermal paste that you need to apply to the CPU's cover plate. The reason for this is that heat needs to be transmitted evenly from the CPU to the cooler. If the plate of the cooler and the plate of the cpu are simply laid against each other, metal to metal, you'd have issues, mostly because of gaps between the two objects (since two "flat" things are likely to have gaps, and air in those gaps will super-heat). You don't want to simply flood that area with thermal paste though, and too much is a bad thing. Check out articles about thermal paste application to see photos and video of what's invloved. A small squeeze of thermal paste about the size of a large grain of rice is all you need, and it's only the centre of the square that needs to be treated anyway.

I've built dozens of PCs, but I'd be nervous about getting into a laptop's guts since I've never done that before! Don't worry about one bad experience :)

I'm not sure why you think most pre-built PCs are non-upgradable. That's not really true, and besides, you have to think about what you'll actually upgrade during your PC's lifetime before buying a new one. A graphics card? Very likely. RAM? Perhaps. These are very quick and easy replacements, and you won't need to do anything dramatic to your computer.

But you're much less likely to want to replace your CPU, or to need to do so. Replacing the CPU means removing the cooler (which can be a nightmare, depending on the cruelty of the cooler's designers), cleaning away the thermal paste with alcohol, changing the CPU (bearing in mind CPUs for your socket type may not be easy to find by the time you think about upgrading), reapplying thermal paste, and reattaching the cooler. Changing the CPU also means you'll need a brand new copy of Windows and have to reintall all of your software.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Get someone to help you who has done it before, maybe?

The only complicated bit of building a PC is attaching the CPU cooler to the CPU. This can be a bit fiddly, and there's a thermal paste that you need to apply to the CPU's cover plate. The reason for this is that heat needs to be transmitted evenly from the CPU to the cooler. If the plate of the cooler and the plate of the cpu are simply laid against each other, metal to metal, you'd have issues, mostly because of gaps between the two objects (since two "flat" things are likely to have gaps, and air in those gaps will super-heat). You don't want to simply flood that area with thermal paste though, and too much is a bad thing. Check out articles about thermal paste application to see photos and video of what's invloved. A small squeeze of thermal paste about the size of a large grain of rice is all you need, and it's only the centre of the square that needs to be treated anyway.

I've built dozens of PCs, but I'd be nervous about getting into a laptop's guts since I've never done that before! Don't worry about one bad experience :)

I'm not sure why you think most pre-built PCs are non-upgradable. That's not really true, and besides, you have to think about what you'll actually upgrade during your PC's lifetime before buying a new one. A graphics card? Very likely. RAM? Perhaps. These are very quick and easy replacements, and you won't need to do anything dramatic to your computer.

But you're much less likely to want to replace your CPU, or to need to do so. Replacing the CPU means removing the cooler (which can be a nightmare, depending on the cruelty of the cooler's designers), cleaning away the thermal paste with alcohol, changing the CPU (bearing in mind CPUs for your socket type may not be easy to find by the time you think about upgrading), reapplying thermal paste, and reattaching the cooler. Changing the CPU also means you'll need a brand new copy of Windows and have to reintall all of your software.

Ok now I'm discourgaged to build a PC XD

Can you reccommend me a relatively cheap PC (anything under 600) with good CPU and all other parts upgradable then? :)

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 08:32 PM
okay I think I'm building a PC[/B]

Windows 8.1
8GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive

All upgradable.

0-600 dollar budget

That's all I know I want. I know nothing about motherboards or anything. What do I do with this information if I want to build a PC?

You also need a PSU (power supply unit). If you're only installing one graphics card and at most a few storage drives during the PC's life, then a 500W PSU is going to be fine. Graphics card power requirements are actually going down as they become more powerful, as are those of Intel CPUs, so we're in a good phase of history right now.

i7 is unnecessary for you, and too expensive. Look at i5 only, and pick a quad core. It's a bit crude, but the site can help you to compare chips http://cpuboss.com/ Ignore the graphics capability of the CPU, since that is irrelevant if you're getting a graphics card. Incidentally, there's also http://gpuboss.com/ for rough-and-ready card comparisons, but they don't tell the whole story. Look at reviews on decent tech sites too.

I can't stress enough how lovely it is to use an SSD instead of an ordinary hard drive. I have my operating system, software and games installed on one, with individual data files (video, audio, graphics) saved on a hard drive and called from there) and one big external hard drive to back up everything.

pirate1802
03-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I was like that once. Then one day I took my PC apart to nuts and bolts for no apparent reason. Then I reassembled it and learned how it is done :)

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 08:37 PM
You also need a PSU (power supply unit). If you're only installing one graphics card and at most a few storage drives during the PC's life, then a 500W PSU is going to be fine. Graphics card power requirements are actually going down as they become more powerful, as are those of Intel CPUs, so we're in a good phase of history right now.

i7 is unnecessary for you, and too expensive. Look at i5 only, and pick a quad core. It's a bit crude, but the site can help you to compare chips http://cpuboss.com/ Ignore the graphics capability of the CPU, since that is irrelevant if you're getting a graphics card. Incidentally, there's also http://gpuboss.com/ for rough-and-ready card comparisons, but they don't tell the whole story. Look at reviews on decent tech sites too.

I can't stress enough how lovely it is to use an SSD instead of an ordinary hard drive. I have my operating system, software and games installed on one, with individual data files (video, audio, graphics) saved on a hard drive and called from there) and one big external hard drive to back up everything.

what did i list that is the graphics capability of the CPU? i'm a bit clueless XD

ok i5 then.

I still don't know anything about SSD. I hear it runs more smoothly than a hard drive or something but I don't think I can afford an SSD and external/internal hard drive.

I was like that once. Then one day I took my PC apart to nuts and bolts for no apparent reason. Then I reassembled it and learned how it is done :)

(/o-o)/ I need to learn proper parts of a PC. I watched several videos to learn about CPU, GPU, RAM, and Hard drive but looking at a motherboard still freaks me out.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to search USA sites for you, but the options are pretty bad in that price range. Can you afford to go a little higher, or maybe wait until you've got more cash? Options improve significantly towards the $800-900 area, it seems!

[edit] In fact, maybe you should wait for more Steam Machines to be released? Basically, a PC built like a console.

Locopells
03-21-2014, 08:50 PM
I know this is badly off topic, but what the heck, (that ship has sailed, sunk and had a movie made about it) - anyone here good at sourcing decent laptop parts?

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm trying to search USA sites for you, but the options are pretty bad in that price range. Can you afford to go a little higher, or maybe wait until you've got more cash? Options improve significantly towards the $800-900 area, it seems!

[edit] In fact, maybe you should wait for more Steam Machines to be released? Basically, a PC built like a console.

800-900 means I probably wont get it until 2015 or late 2014.....but if it is an absolute must...

I plan to use the computer for things other than gaming. I need to use software like Word, Photoshop, Final Draft, Toon Boom, Adobe Audition, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Avid and Autodesk Maya. And then there's other stuff like Adblock+, Steam, Origin AVG Antivirus, Skype, Google Chrome, and firefox.

But that's all the stuff I plan to use in general. Nothing else really. I want a good work/ gaming computer. Most of my work is art related. Hence why I used to use macs.:)

I know this is badly off topic, but what the heck, (that ship has sailed, sunk and had a movie made about it) - anyone here good at sourcing decent laptop parts?

It's somewhat on-topic. I'm trying to figure out what specs I need to run the next-gen AC game. :cool:

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Ok, here's something, because for that budget you're probably going to have to go with AMD parts for the motherboard and CPU:

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-FX-4-Core-Configurator

Consider these changes:

Switch the graphics card to the Nvidia GTX 750Ti. Select a 500W PSU. It's a little more than you need for this system, but it gives you a good amount of wiggle-room when you want to upgrade your card. Both of these change the price fractionally, but improve the machine to the best effect, I think.

also the free upgrade to FX-6300 for this month! (CPU)

and tick to get ACIV Black Flag for free, why not!

Other option:

This is going to affect the price quite a bit, but GET THAT 120GB SSD. GET IT. Then add a 1TB data drive in the next box.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 09:01 PM

What do you need? I tend to buy everything from either Scan.co.uk or OverclockersUK

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Ok, here's something, because for that budget you're probably going to have to go with AMD parts for the motherboard and CPU:

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-FX-4-Core-Configurator

Consider these changes:

Switch the graphics card to the Nvidia GTX 750Ti. Select a 500W PSU. It's a little more than you need for this system, but it gives you a good amount of wiggle-room when you want to upgrade your card. Both of these change the price fractionally, but improve the machine to the best effect, I think.

Other option:

This is going to affect the price quite a bit, but GET THAT 128GB SSD. GET IT. Then add a 1TB data drive in the next box.

I have a question. What is a 500W PSU and how do I "select" it? XD

Wolfmeister1010
03-21-2014, 09:03 PM
So. many. numbers.

I am such a stupid little console kiddie peasant.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
So. many. numbers.

I am such a stupid little console kiddie peasant.

I'm just as confused as you are. XD

But I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm taking screenshots for future reference.

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Actually audio chips are built into the MB these days. Used to we'd have to buy sound cards. No one even thinks about them anymore.

I don't think you'll be able to do that build with the graphics card for under $800 (even with the 650 or 570, the price drop is just not enough).

I went as cheap as I could and was just under $900 and I did not have to buy a case or DVD.

A case is only about $50 or less and may come with an acceptable PSU, but most folks would want a better PSU.

A DVD is only about $20 these days.

Do building an i5 based system with a medium graphics card is still going to be around $800+.

Don't forget an OS too. You may be able to reuse any license you have, but if not add another $99 for an OEM OS. That $99 is included in my $$, as I purchased Windows 8.1 OEM.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't think you'll be able to do that with the graphics card for under $800 (even with the 650 or 570, the price drop is just not enough).

I went as cheap as I could and was just under $900 and I did not have to buy a case.

A case is only about $50 or less and may come with an acceptable PSU, but most folks would want a better PSU.

Do building an i5 based system with a medium graphics card is still going to be around $800+.

Don't forget an OS too. You may be able to reuse any license you have, but if not add another $99 for an OEM OS. That $99 is included in my $$, as I purchased Windows 8.1 OEM.

So basically I can't get a good PC without pitching in a good 300-400 more dollars? :(

I also plan on getting OS windows 8.1

Assuming I was slightly looser with my wallet, what would you reccomend I get?

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Let's see if my build list will paste in here...

It did!!!

Like I say not high-end at all. Almost as cheap as I could go. A little under $900 when I ordered, about $945 current pricing. I had to go Micro ATX to get it to fit into my HTPC case, and I needed an old PCI slot, so I went H87, I would have gone Z87 otherwise.

This system played AC4BF on the Geforce sites recommended settings (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide#assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-optimal-playable-settings)without any issues at all.

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/13-157-384-10.jpg
ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813157384
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$7.00 Instant
$87.99
$80.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/14-500-301-07.jpg
ZOTAC ZT-70301-10P GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
Item #:N82E16814500301
Return Policy: Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy

$349.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/17-153-174-09.jpg
Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATX 12V 2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817153174
-$20.00 Instant
$99.99
$79.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/19-116-895-02.jpg
Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430
Item #:N82E16819116895
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$189.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/20-148-719-05.jpg
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K4G3D169DS3
Item #:N82E16820148719
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$84.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/22-236-339-08.jpg
Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, Blue
Item #:N82E16822236339
-$10.00 Instant
$69.99
$59.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/32-416-776-02.jpg
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
Item #:N82E16832416776
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy

$99.99

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Let's see if my build list will paste in here...

It did!!!

Like I say not high-end at all. Almost as cheap as I could go. I also had to bo Micro ATX to get it to fit into my HTPC case.

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/13-157-384-10.jpg
ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813157384
-$7.00 Instant
$87.99
$80.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/14-500-301-07.jpg
ZOTAC ZT-70301-10P GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
Item #:N82E16814500301
Return Policy: Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy

$349.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/17-153-174-09.jpg
Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATX 12V 2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817153174
-$20.00 Instant
$99.99
$79.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/19-116-895-02.jpg
Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430
Item #:N82E16819116895
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$189.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/20-148-719-05.jpg
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K4G3D169DS3
Item #:N82E16820148719
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$84.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/22-236-339-08.jpg
Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, Blue
Item #:N82E16822236339
-$10.00 Instant
$69.99
$59.99

https://ssl-images.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll/32-416-776-02.jpg
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
Item #:N82E16832416776
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy

$99.99

Ah, Thanks. and how does it run? Have you had any hiccups when gaming or using high-end software?

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 09:18 PM
It has been rock steady.

Has to be the easiest build I have ever done. They just keep making them easier to do.

And windows 8.1 installed like getting a new smart phone. I was up and running with my settings copied from my other 8.1 system in about 30 minutes. :eek:

Dome500
03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Actually audio chips are built into the MB these days. Used to we'd have to buy sound cards. No one even thinks about them anymore.

I don't think you'll be able to do that build with the graphics card for under $800 (even with the 650 or 570, the price drop is just not enough).

I went as cheap as I could and was just under $900 and I did not have to buy a case or DVD.

A DVD is only about $20 these days.

Poor Americans :D Have to pay so much for their hardware.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 09:27 PM
I have a question. What is a 500W PSU and how do I "select" it? XD

Ha ha! Luckily for you, I'm not one of those ragey nerds.

Let's go down from the top. Where I say "No", that means you don't need to make a choice:

First, cases. You might want to pick something that looks less like a sneaker - that's up to you.

Case lighting: God no. We are not savages.

Noise reduction: No

Internal expansion: No

Processor: AMD FX-6300 CPU if you buy before the end of March, otherwise FX-4300

Power drive overclocking: You can if you want, but I wouldn't bother. Let's say "no".

Processor cooling: You could go for the fan here and save a tiny bit of money. Liquid cooling is there as default, and that's quite nice. The pump will make a little bit of noise, but nothing crazy. Up to you.

Memory: the default 8GB

Video card: NVidia GTX 750 Ti

Free stuff: To be honest, I wouldn't bother with McAfee Antivirus. You can if you like, but Windows own security is pretty good, and you could add Malwarebytes protection if you think you need it later. Tick for - ACIV Black Flag

Motherboard: Stick with the default Gigabyte, or save ten dollars and choose the ASUS model next to it. They're both good.

Power supply: This is the box which receives power from your wall socket, and then distributes it through many cables inside your PC to each of the parts that require extra power. You want to be able to add a more powerful graphics card in a couple of years, I expect, so select the one marked "500 Watt - StandardFree Upgrade to 500W OCZ ModXStream Pro - 80 PLUS
*iBUYPOWER March Madness Sale* "

Primary Hard Drive: This is the one on which Windows will be installed, also your software and games. If you don't select any other option, this will be a 1TB hard drive. That's the cheapest thing you can do. I've been trying to persuade you to pick an SSD as the primary drive instead, but that is more expensive.

Data hard drive: If you don't choose anything here, you will only have the one primary hard drive. If you do pick an SSD as your primary drive above, you'll probably want a hard drive for the storage of other files that don't require the very fastest access.

Optical drive: This is a drive for disc media - CDs, DVDs. For just $30 more, you can have a drive that also reads BluRay. Up to you.

2nd Optical Drive: No.

Flash Media: No.

Meter Display: No.

Sound card: No (the PC has decent sound built-in)

Network card: No

USB Expansion Card: No.

This should come out at $712 at the cheapest. I don't know what you'll do for the extra $100. Sell a kidney?

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 09:27 PM
It has been rock steady.

Has to be the easiest build I have ever done. They just keep making them easier to do.

And windows 8.1 installed like getting a new smart phone. I was up and running with my settings copied from my other 8.1 system in about 30 minutes. :eek:

wow. that sounds really good.

People have been telling me to get a quad core processor. Whats the difference between that and a regular processor? :confused:

Let's go down from the top. Where I say "No", that means you don't need to make a choice:

First, cases. You might want to pick something that looks less like a sneaker - that's up to you.

Processor: AMD FX-6300 CPU if you buy before the end of March, otherwise FX-4300

Power drive overclocking: You can if you want, but I wouldn't bother. Let's say "no".

Processor cooling: You could go for the fan here and save a tiny bit of money. Liquid cooling is there as default, and that's quite nice. The pump will make a little bit of noise, but nothing crazy. Up to you.

Free stuff: To be honest, I wouldn't bother with McAfee Antivirus. You can if you like, but Windows own security is pretty good, and you could add Malwarebytes protection if you think you need it later. Tick for - ACIV Black Flag

Motherboard: Stick with the default Gigabyte, or save ten dollars and choose the ASUS model next to it. They're both good.

Power supply: This is the box which receives power from your wall socket, and then distributes it through many cables inside your PC to each of the parts that require extra power. You want to be able to add a more powerful graphics card in a couple of years, I expect, so select the one marked "500 Watt - StandardFree Upgrade to 500W OCZ ModXStream Pro - 80 PLUS

Primary Hard Drive: This is the one on which Windows will be installed, also your software and games. If you don't select any other option, this will be a 1TB hard drive. That's the cheapest thing you can do. I've been trying to persuade you to pick an SSD as the primary drive instead, but that is more expensive.

Data hard drive: If you don't choose anything here, you will only have the one primary hard drive. If you do pick an SSD as your primary drive above, you'll probably want a hard drive for the storage of other files that don't require the very fastest access.

Optical drive: This is a drive for disc media - CDs, DVDs. For just $30 more, you can have a drive that also reads BluRay. Up to you.

This should come out at $712 at the cheapest. I don't know what you'll do for the extra $100. Sell a kidney?

This is really really helpful. A little confused at some parts but so far i only skimmed. Gonna re-read a bit first.

rcole_sooner
03-21-2014, 09:29 PM
The more cores the better ... more or less. If you get an i core (desktop) you are getting 4 cores. I wouldn't recommend anything other than an i core. Don't worry about it more than that.

I am thinking this might get better responses if it was over in the PC forum instead of the console forum.

If you go start a thread about this over there, I'll see if I can move or copy some of this info into it.

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 09:35 PM
wow. that sounds really good.

People have been telling me to get a quad core processor. Whats the difference between that and a regular processor? :confused:

Four cores means four separate processors working together inside one CPU. You can get 6 core CPUs or 8 core CPUs, but the benefits may be limited since only software that's designed to use those extra cores will take advantage of them. Optimisation for 4 cores is quite common now though. Older AC games didn't address more than the first one or two cores. I used to get better performance by switching off some of the cores in my old CPU! Ubisoft's optimisation has improved considerably since then though.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 09:45 PM

for some reason i got a total of 706$

Also, there's no "none" option for Sound card or network card.

And ACIV black flag is free? XD I have to sell it then.

The more cores the better ... more or less. If you get an i core (desktop) you are getting 4 cores. I wouldn't recommend anything other than an i core. Don't worry about it more than that.

I am thinking this might get better responses if it was over in the PC forum instead of the console forum.

If you go start a thread about this over there, I'll see if I can move or copy some of this info into it.

Ah that's a good idea.

Four cores means four separate processors working together inside one CPU. You can get 6 core CPUs or 8 core CPUs, but the benefits may be limited since only software that's designed to use those extra cores will take advantage of them. Optimisation for 4 cores is quite common now though. Older AC games didn't address more than the first one or two cores. I used to get better performance by switching off some of the cores in my old CPU! Ubisoft's optimisation has improved considerably since then though.

oh okay

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Guys here's a continuation thread I made in the PC section: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863088-PC-Recommendation-thread?p=9880058#post9880058

Continue conversation there with me please :)

D.I.D.
03-21-2014, 09:51 PM
for some reason i got a total of 706$

Don't worry, I fiddled around with options here and there trying to see if I could make various compromises - I probably picked one component that was slightly different but the same basic rating.

Also, there's no "none" option for Sound card or network card.

Yeah the default selection is for "onboard sound", meaning the motherboard's built-in sound chips. They're fine. Sound cards are mostly unnecessary these days for gamers.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 10:01 PM
please check the thread I linked double click. :)

Mr.GoodKall
03-21-2014, 10:36 PM

This helped a lot. Thanks

okay I think I might build a PC

Windows 8.1
8GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive

All upgradable.

0-600 dollar budget

you wont get that for 600$. I got a custom ENVY:
8GB ram,
1TB HD,
GeForce GTX 780
Intel Core i7 4.1GB
Windows 8.1
600w PSU
For $1200. And your looking to get all that for 600$?? be real

But I don't play games on PC, I used that for work. I got a PS4 for new gen. If I knew more about PC gaming, maybe I would switch

Poodle_of_Doom
03-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Alienware anyone? My God,... I didn't read all of that, but most of it.

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 10:59 PM
I managed to get the specs I wanted

Apex EL 660 Gaming Case
Case Lighting, Selected :: None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction, Selected ::None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion, Selected :: None
Processor, Selected :: AMD FX-4300 CPU
(4x 3.80GHz/4MB L2 Cache) FREE Upgrade to FX-6300
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive, Selected :: None
Processor Cooling, Selected :: Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - Standard 120 mm Fan
Memory, Selected :: 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1866 ADATA XPG V2
Video Card, Selected :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti - 2GB
Motherboard, Selected :: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P -- AMD 970
Power Supply, Selected :: 500 Watt - Standard Free Upgrade to 500W OCZ ModXStream Pro - 80 PLUS
Primary Hard Drive, Selected :: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive, Selected :: None
Optical Drive, Selected :: 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
2nd Optical Drive, Selected :: None
Flash Media Reader / Writer, Selected :: None
Meter Display, Selected :: None
Sound Card, Selected :: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card, Selected :: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
USB Expansion Card, Selected :: None

Operating System, Selected :: Windows 8.1 + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Logitech Internet Mouse

for a total of 825 bucks thanks to doubleclick. I'm gonna continue investing for now :D (I have a monitor and monitor cable already. And I can use earphones for now)

I even get a free copy of ACIV! Even though I don't need it because I already have the Gold Edition on Steam....but still!

overdidd
03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Would I be able to run ACV? Intel Core i7-3632QM, 4x 2.20GHz • RAM: 8GB • AMD Radeon HD 7650M

I really don't wanna invest in a PS4 atm...

JustPlainQuirky
03-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Would I be able to run ACV? Intel Core i7-3632QM, 4x 2.20GHz • RAM: 8GB • AMD Radeon HD 7650M

I really don't wanna invest in a PS4 atm...

From the knowledge I gained today, you should be able to run it fairly well.

But don't trust me. I'm in training (>u>)

overdidd
03-21-2014, 11:25 PM
From the knowledge I gained today, you should be able to run it fairly well.

But don't trust me. I'm in training (>u>)

let's just hope ACV is well optimised... Because some games aren't... And then I get really mad... oh pc's...

Wolfmeister1010
03-21-2014, 11:28 PM
let's just hope ACV is well optimised... Because some games aren't... And then I get really mad... oh pc's...

I am willing to bet a million dollars that they didn't optimize PC version of AC4 on purpose..cuz ubi.

Locopells
03-22-2014, 07:36 PM
What do you need? I tend to buy everything from either Scan.co.uk or OverclockersUK

I need a graphic chip for one of these:

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/qosmio-x770-11c/

the best my local tech guy could do was £100 for one in the US, that he said had probably been bodged into working, so it could be sold, and would crap out after a few months.

D.I.D.
03-22-2014, 07:52 PM
I need a graphic chip for one of these:

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/qosmio-x770-11c/

the best my local tech guy could do was £100 for one in the US, that he said had probably been bodged into working, so it could be sold, and would crap out after a few months.

Nice machine!

As you probably know, the 800Ms are coming out this month. I'd go for an 860M or maybe 870M. Unfortunately I don't know where you can buy/preorder one outside of a prebuilt laptop yet.

Locopells
03-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Compatibility is an issue, the guy said that they can only replace like with like for laptops? Didn't seem to think they could be replaced.

D.I.D.
03-22-2014, 10:08 PM
I expect that's it then. I know next to nothing about laptops, I'm afraid!

Black_Widow9
03-22-2014, 11:26 PM
The problem with playing the games on laptops is every single spec says:

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

and no one reads it. So if you are going to play on a laptop it might not work like you want or expect it to.

D.I.D.
03-23-2014, 12:07 AM

and no one reads it. So if you are going to play on a laptop it might not work like you want or expect it to.

That, or they assume that a GTX [xxx]M is exactly the same performance as the desktop GTX [xxx], or don't appreciate that all processors adjust along with the thermal conditions. So the laptop gets hot, the GPU slows down, and they blame the game.

Locopells
03-23-2014, 01:23 AM
Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.and no one reads it. So if you are going to play on a laptop it might not work like you want or expect it to.

Never been a problem, the only issue here is that the chip's worn out, and unless I can get a relativly cheap, and reliable replacement, I now have a fancy new doorstop...

That, or they assume that a GTX [xxx]M is exactly the same performance as the desktop GTX [xxx], or don't appreciate that all processors adjust along with the thermal conditions. So the laptop gets hot, the GPU slows down, and they blame the game.

I don't tend to play games with such high requirements, that that's an issue. It's only later in their life, when the cooling become less efficient, that I get problems with games that run fine when they're new.