PDA

View Full Version : Analog throttle/brake/leaning?

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Hi, I've preordered TE:GE and have been playing the beta for a while, and I've come across this one thing that bugs me to no end:

I've never played the XBLA version of Trials Evolution, but I assume (from watching replays) that the throttle and brake there are controlled by the trigger buttons on the gamepad, allowing precise control over the levels of application. In Gold Edition, the throttle and brakes are routed to A and X by default, so I changed them to RT and LT - however, it doesn't work as expected. Ingame, the throttle and the brakes are either all the way up or to the metal, there's a threshold on the triggers about half-way down where it goes from 0% to 100% instantly.

Similarly, the stick doesn't seem to control where the rider is leaning, it rather controls where he's headed in his posture. If you lean all the way forward and then let go of the stick, the rider is still leaning all the way forward until you make him lean another way.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 12:30 AM
what controller are you using?

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Can't believe I forgot that part...
It's the Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Edit: And yes, in other games the triggers work exactly as they should.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 01:51 AM
I have no trouble at all using the X360 pad with default drivers. I have not touched the controls, it worked perfectly right at the start, with analog controls for the engine (triggers) and the pilot (left stick). Maybe try to reset the controls if that's possible.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Oh.

Apparently it stopped working because I changed the controls from A and X to RT and LT. Guide dang it...

What about the stiff rider, is that how it's supposed to be?

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh.

Apparently it stopped working because I changed the controls from A and X to RT and LT. Guide dang it...

Yea the rider is 'digital'. 0-100. That's one of my biggest gripes with Evo.

stiggyhead
03-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Oh.

No it's not 'digital', it may move faster than HD or T2SE but it's not a 0-100 thing. Do you think redlynx would have half-assed such an important aspect of the game?

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 04:20 PM
My biggest gripe is the throttle and brake are either full-on or full brake. There is no analog progression. I am also using an xbox360 controller

The dude is meant to stay leaning forward when you move him, yes. It still doesn't put as much force forward as when you hold the lean forward stick though.

nannerdw
03-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Oh.

No it's not 'digital', it may move faster than HD or T2SE but it's not a 0-100 thing. Do you think redlynx would have half-assed such an important aspect of the game?
According to the analog stick data sources in the editor, the position of the stick gets rounded off to the nearest integer for values between -3 and 3; and for the triggers, integers from 0 to 7. I'm assuming that's to reduce the amount of data stored in a replay.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 04:58 PM
My biggest gripe is the throttle and brake are either full-on or full brake. There is no analog progression. I am also using an xbox360 controller

The dude is meant to stay leaning forward when you move him, yes. It still doesn't put as much force forward as when you hold the lean forward stick though.

Just read my previous post. It IS analog throttle.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 05:38 PM
According to the analog stick data sources in the editor, the position of the stick gets rounded off to the nearest integer for values between -3 and 3; and for the triggers, integers from 0 to 7. I'm assuming that's to reduce the amount of data stored in a replay.
Thats a nice bit of info to know http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif

stiggyhead
03-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Oh.

Then why do the analog stick data sources in the editor only include integer values from -3 to 3; and for the triggers, integers from 0 to 7?
Well, but isn't it -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3? I'm asking cause i'm actaully not sure.

nannerdw
03-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, that's right. If the analog controls really did get converted into values from 0 to 100, the rider control would be much more accurate, and the analog to digital conversion would probably not be noticeable at all.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Just read my previous post. It IS analog throttle.

I would love to agree with you, but for me it goes from no throttle to full throttle at about half depression. I have gone back and hit "default" for controls but that didn't help.

Which version of windows are you using?
I have played the xbox360 version and if you lightly touch the throttle trigger you move very slowly forward. This isn't possible with the way it's working for me http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/sad.gif

stiggyhead
03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Yeah, that's right. If the analog controls really did get converted into values from 0 to 100, the rider control would be much more accurate, and the analog to digital conversion would probably not be noticeable at all.
When i said 0-100 i meant like a jump from 0% percent of leaning to full leaning in a single tick as i was using the same term of the post i was replying to. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif But yeah, 100 values would be better for the riding but probably too much to save in a small file for replays.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 08:12 PM
I would love to agree with you, but for me it goes from no throttle to full throttle at about half depression. I have gone back and hit "default" for controls but that didn't help.

I have played the xbox360 version and if you lightly touch the throttle trigger you move very slowly forward. This isn't possible with the way it's working for me http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/sad.gif

Oh, it is sad to hear... Have you tried to unplug and replug your pad in game ? On another USB port ? I am on Win7 32 with Microsoft drivers.
Some bikes require to start slowly, I hope you'll find a solution.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Oh, it is sad to hear... Have you tried to unplug and replug your pad in game ? On another USB port ? I am on Win7 32 with Microsoft drivers.
Some bikes require to start slowly, I hope you'll find a solution.

I've tried switching USB ports to no avail. It's really odd since the colour wheel for helmets etc works nicely analog. Slight press = slow movement. Not so with the bikes, so I can't easily do the one where you launch and flap planks of wood. That bike is nuts! I'll try on another pc.

rlmergeuser
03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Oh.

Well when I move my stick very very slowly, as soon as it registers, the rider thrusts forward at what sure as hell seems like 100%. After that there's no additional movement. It does that on all 3 of my controllers. I call that 'digital'.

rlmergeuser
03-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Oh.

Well when I move my stick very very slowly, as soon as it registers, the rider thrusts forward at what sure as hell seems like 100%. After that there's no additional movement. It does that on all 3 of my controllers. I call that 'digital'.

Same here. I've tested it on 2 PCs now to the same effect. Also, I went off a jump at minimum throttle kick-in and maximum. Both times I jumped the same distance. This tells me that it's either off or on 100% with the triggers.