PDA

View Full Version : No Mixture Control on American Planes?

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks for Great Patch Oleg and Company, but am a little confused as to why there is no mixture control for American planes (except P40 field mod and B-239). In v1.0 it used to be in P-40 , P-39, and P-47, and I believe even the hardcopy manual mentioned that the player can select different Auto mixture settings. Just wondering because I mainly got this sim for the CEM and knowing I would fly American planes most of the time, and am just a little disappointed that it was taken out.

Great patch though. Thanks for all your hard work. Best WWII sim I've ever had! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks for Great Patch Oleg and Company, but am a little confused as to why there is no mixture control for American planes (except P40 field mod and B-239). In v1.0 it used to be in P-40 , P-39, and P-47, and I believe even the hardcopy manual mentioned that the player can select different Auto mixture settings. Just wondering because I mainly got this sim for the CEM and knowing I would fly American planes most of the time, and am just a little disappointed that it was taken out.

Great patch though. Thanks for all your hard work. Best WWII sim I've ever had! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 09:27 PM
I believe on the P51 they had barametric controled automixture. Also the superchargers were set to stage by barametric control also per-flight. Somewhere I read that they liked 14,000 feet (whatever the damn metric equvl. of that is?) So you souldnt need to worry about the mix, or SC charging.

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Hookecho6 wrote:
- I believe on the P51 they had barametric controled
- automixture. Also the superchargers were set to
- stage by barametric control also per-flight.
- Somewhere I read that they liked 14,000 feet
- (whatever the damn metric equvl. of that is?) So
- you souldnt need to worry about the mix, or SC
- charging.
-
I understand that it is a great convenience not having to fool with mixtures, but I am not talking about convenience - but simulation! On P-39 and P-40s I KNOW there were several Auto mixture settings that were controlled by the pilot, and I believe that these were in the original v1.0 FB version. I want more reality, not less.

That's why I got this game and why I won't buy titles like Crimson Skies. More sim, less arcade is what I am after in an admitted PC game.

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Posted by Horseback in the "general topics threads"

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yvdmc

Fighting Mustang: Chronicle of the P-51 by William N. Hess, published in 1970

Here he talks about the Automixture:

Two features of the Mustang's engine which pilots particularly enjoyed consisted of the supercharger and fuel-mixture-control arrangement. They were both actuated and controlled by a barometric switch. In the case of the supercharger, your crew chief could preset the altitude at which you wanted the extra boost to cut in and the barometric switch automatically cut in at that altitude without further bother to the pilot. We set ours for 14,000 feet cut-in, and there was no doubt in the pilot's mind as to when it cut in, for he felt a definite surge of new power which provided him with a kick in the tail to remind him that he had new horses to chase the enemy. The mixture control when in the auto position likewise had a barometric sensing switch which maintained the correct mixture according to the altitude of his aircraft, and in the heat of combat the less a pilot had to dwell on the operation requirements of his equipment, the better he can concentrate on the tactical problems at hand which could in almost every combat engagement mean the difference between success and disaster.

So, from the words of a "actual" P51 pilot in the "actual" war, the realistic way the "actual" pilots flew the "actual" plane in AUTOMIXTURE. Ergo....Oleg got it correct. Take a powder, and enjoy a great plane.

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Then what about the OTHER planes ucanfly mentions: the P-40 (non field mod), P39, and P-47?

Windows 98SE
Athlon 1700+ 1.4GHz
Mobo: FIC AU13 (TFA42 BIOS)
nVidia onboard sound
1GB of 2100 DDR memory
Video Card: ATI Radeon 8500 128MB w/Catalyst 3.5
Cougar HOTAS
CH Pedals

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 12:41 AM
I appreciate the info Hookecho6. I don't really mind getting flamed as long as I learn something. Point taken about the Mustang's many automated features.

As I also pointed out , however, the P-39 and P-40 were known to have pilot selectable auto mixture settings including Full Rich (for more power), Auto Rich (normal flight), Auto Lean (for Fuel economy), and these had apparently been modelled to some degree in the original issue of IL2 FB. The IL2 official manual also mentioned selectable Auto mixtures as part of the CEM modelling. Once the patches started, however, the mixture control for these two planes were taken out without any word that I've read anyway.

Thought it would have been a nice feature to keep is all, especially since it was apparently designed to be there from the beginning (mentioned in manual and existed in v1.0).

Have a Nice Day.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 02:13 AM
yes, i love my 120%mix /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
be nice to have a auto, and a override /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

whineingu /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 03:20 AM
I dunno, I get a feeling that people's desire for the 120% setting is a result of placebo effect.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 04:03 AM
A.K.Davis wrote:
- I dunno, I get a feeling that people's desire for
- the 120% setting is a result of placebo effect.
-
---AKD
-

Don't forget the 80% setting too (Auto Lean). You may be right, since it was taken out, maybe it never worked right in the first place. It would have been nice to be documented if such was the case. I understand that he took it out of the P-47 for a reason , but never read about the P-39 and P-40.

Just a little disappointed since now CEM in American planes appears less complex (to the user) than CFS3, which I understand at least has mixture control.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah, sorry I carried over some angst from a different forum. My comments were for the P51 as I dont fly the P40 or P47 much at all. I'm a 'Stang guy, as thats what my Squad flies in CFS3. Anyway, after looking some data up last night, it seems at least for the P51, the auto settings were something the pilots liked in the P51 series.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 09:05 PM
Hookecho6 wrote:
- Yeah, sorry I carried over some angst from a
- different forum. My comments were for the P51 as I
- dont fly the P40 or P47 much at all. I'm a 'Stang
- guy, as thats what my Squad flies in CFS3. Anyway,
- after looking some data up last night, it seems at
- least for the P51, the auto settings were something
- the pilots liked in the P51 series.
-

Hey your a good bloke for reponding back. and thanks for the info.