PDA

View Full Version : Opt-in for Offensive Material notifications?

JolanXBL
05-23-2012, 05:57 PM
My very first track, a glider aircraft, was removed from the server less than 8 hours after it was uploaded. At least 4 people messaged me to say that they liked it but from what I've read about this issue on the forum, it was removed because someone reported it as offensive. Is there a way to get an auto-message sent to either my e-mail or Gamertag saying something like

Your Trials Evolution map "(mapname)" has been reported as offensive with the reason "(selection from list)". It is currently under review/investigation.

There was absolutely nothing offensive about it! They're just jealous that it worked so well or upset that they couldn't fly it http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/sad.gif.
But if there was something offensive I'd really like to know what it was. The map was called "Aircraft - Glider", Gamertag "Jolan".
* I got a couple suggestions on improving it but I'll get really annoyed if this happens again http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

RetiredRonin
05-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Tracks reported are still played by Track Central moderators to make sure they aren't just spammed with hate.

When was the track removed?

JolanXBL
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
The day I posted the thread but I have since uploaded a second version which is much better. I did get a few comments in from the first one which I then considered for the update. But my point was that if the map contains some form of anything mentioned in the Report option, and it wasn't intentional, it'd be nice to know what someone thought was offensive.
.. Like if someone thought that being forced to stare at a catholic cross for 5 seconds was offensive to their beliefs would be an odd reason.

Although I do admit that the controls aren't that great http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

RetiredRonin
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I currently see "Aircraft - Glider" and "Aircraft - Glider 2" under Jolan in Track Central. Both tracks are available.

RetiredRonin
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Question. What is the goal of this game?

I wreck, it doesn't end.
I get really high, wreck, it doesn't end.
I get 4 rings, wreck, it doesn't end.

I don't understand the goal system.

JolanXBL
06-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Well number 1 (no number) was the missing one, but that's been surpassed by #2. The 'goal' was to just get a working aircraft and learn the editor. Cars are often overpowered or have no suspension, planes are instant ON/OFF and the only boat I've seen is just the bike on a track (Jet Ski). My glider was an attempt to create an aircraft that receives lift only if it's going fast enough (like a plane), and since it has no engine it's unique. In order to gain lift you have to first descend to speed up.

The planes that I have tried don't crash, but instead just bump into the ground and that's all. I believe the reason is because that is the simplest way to do it. With my vehicles however, I would like to make them function as close to the real thing as I am capable of. If you descend too fast, you won't obtain enough lift to recover and you'll crash. If you ascend too high, you'll hit the worlds' skybox (That's as high as the game allows. I tried to add a dampener but my knowledge isn't there yet). Angle too far up and it stalls, too far down and the Force Push that lifts it will drag you into the ground. You need to balance all these things to get to the end, the rings are just something to challenge you. - In the description it states that they are not necessary.

While the map contains checkpoints near 4 of the rings, it's very easy to fly too high and skip them. I think I'll need to add Area Triggers to record then 'restart at checkpoint' when you press Y :/. A popular form of ending a skill game is to wreck, so if Trials mode supported extra counters I'd use that instead. Then maybe players wouldn't assume that wrecking is the only way to end the level. There is a 'Goal' meter that counts down the further you get on the driving line; I thought that that was enough to tell the player that the course continues.

The glider isn't that difficult to fly when you realize that you do not need to push the analog all the way but instead using light adjustments - Watch my replay, I get 3 rings, show off the checkpoint system and land at the end. Unfortunately there is not enough room in the description field to type all the important information, without bad punctuation or spelling.

In the next version I would like to add something that points in the direction of the next ring to help you find them, and perhaps add a boost when you pass through to get you soaring again. A ceiling cushion would also be nice however adding a min/max angle would prevent you from performing a back-flip which is an impressive maneuver and a great way to slow down and lose height. The glider itself won't be touched until the next iteration.

Thank you for trying it out!

RetiredRonin
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I need to pay more attention. For some reason I assumed that the distance meter was an altimeter of sorts and that I was going for distance traveled.

I always seem to catch fire, start shaking, and explode while trying to bleed off airspeed.

JolanXBL
06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
As with the height, it's something that comes with the game. If you go too fast your guy will simply fall off the bike. The fire trail was meant as a warning that you are going too fast; Falling off explodes the bike so that crashing makes it look like the aircraft explodes (no contact with ground, passes into). The next (and final version) for the glider will cover all the feedback I have received from friends, people who have messaged me, and replays; and of course your comments here http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif.

Included in the update:
Distance remaining will be replaced with the standard Distance traveled and crashing will end the match. Checkpoints will be removed and passing through the rings will give you a short speed boost to help regain some altitude. As the phrase goes, K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif.