PDA

View Full Version : Stupidist use of documentary footage

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Related to the thread about worst 109 in movies is the whole isse of poorly researched or checked documentaries which seem to show random clips of unrelated or wrong planes while discussing others. My favorites are gun camera footage on the many poorly research Discovery shows. They may be doing a show about the "Fighting Tigers" in China/Burma, but you see grainy shots of zeros, hurricanes, bf109s, fw-190's B-17's, I-16,s and anything else falling apart just to show us some "action" footage.

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Related to the thread about worst 109 in movies is the whole isse of poorly researched or checked documentaries which seem to show random clips of unrelated or wrong planes while discussing others. My favorites are gun camera footage on the many poorly research Discovery shows. They may be doing a show about the "Fighting Tigers" in China/Burma, but you see grainy shots of zeros, hurricanes, bf109s, fw-190's B-17's, I-16,s and anything else falling apart just to show us some "action" footage.

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Well I did see one where they were interviewing a B-17 crewman who's pilot had been shot out in a headon pass, and they showed a gun strafe run on a B-24. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 08:37 PM
That Pauly Shore movie where he joins the army and get posted to iraq. At the end they are waiting for an airstrike and they show f14s, f1111's and A7s all being the incoming airstrike package... whos the dork who couldn't find enough stock footage of at LEAST the same aircraft!

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Related, but equally horrid:

The "re-use" of the Flight of the Intruder attack scene on sam city in the horribly edited film "Stealth Fighter"(1999) with the actor of actors ICE-T (ok he wasnt half bad singing Colors, Color, cccc ccc cc c Colors). If you want to belly laugh yourself off the couch while drinking Olympia Brew ("Its in the Water").... rent this puppy:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0181838

If your in the mood to read an 88 thread commentary on the worst flight scenes in movies... read this thread..

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3903b3bb.2484653%40news.america.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dmovie%2Bflight%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bintruder% 2Bice-t%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D3903b3bb.2484653%2540news.america.net%2 6rnum%3D1

Of course you could always increase your Wynorski collection by watching his more titilating "Bare Wench" series of nudy flicks

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0233289

JG29_Murdock

Message Edited on 07/30/03 07:50PM by MurdockSC

Message Edited on 07/30/0307:57PM by MurdockSC

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi there!

I've seen many, many hundreds of different docos over the years, even unto thousands.

The conclusion - Dodgy footage is VERY, VERY common and I've seen it in AT LEAST 75 PERCENT of cases. Why? could be a number of reasons or combination of reasons, but among them, try the following:

*Inadequate technical/historical knowledge.

*Technical advisor with sufficient knowledge is present during production, but his advice is disregarded.

*Correct footage is non-existent or is considered too difficult to find.

*It is considered too time-consuming or too expensive to hunt down the correct footage.

*It's easier and/or cheaper to use whatever footage just happens to be around, perhaps from other ongoing or recent productions.

*They think that most viewers either don't know the difference or don't care.

*The producers of the documentary don't care, as long as they meet deadlines and get their $ rakeoff.

Other suggestions welcome!

Best regards to all,
panther3485