PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please tell me how to attach objects to bike?

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
i want to attach steel poles to the hubs of the wheels, and keep it so the bike will still move and they will stay in place; attached to the hubs...advice greatly appreciated!

Euphoric Fusion
04-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Not tried it but can't you just multi-select the bike part and the part you want to stick to it, press dpad up and select "glue objects"?

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
nope, because the pipes will stay frozen where they were placed in the editor. the bike will just crumble around it. i know physics joints are involved because ive nearly worked it out but theres definitely something crucial i am missing. thanks for the reply tho!

Oski
04-26-2012, 06:46 PM
nope, because the pipes will stay frozen where they were placed in the editor. the bike will just crumble around it. i know physics joints are involved because ive nearly worked it out but theres definitely something crucial i am missing. thanks for the reply tho!
Turn on physics for the pipes! http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Turn on physics for the pipes! http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

is this all it takes? glue the objects, then turn on physics? you cant glue an object to the wheelslike you can with a physics joint...

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
i forgot to mention i want to stick the pipe THROUGH the hub of the wheel, which requires disabling collision between the pipe and wheel...

johnsalis
04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Glued objects have collisions disabled by default. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 08:30 PM
i cant glue this steel pipe to the bike...

rlmergeuser
05-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Did you ever have any luck with this?

rlmergeuser
05-06-2012, 09:40 AM
try putting the physics joint on and making all your customizations and then glue objects, then put physics on again(cuz it will automatically turn them off when you glue objects). i had to make all my changes first then glue then change physics again to make an invisible object visible again on an object that was already visible that was glued to it.(hopefully that makes sense and it was what you were talking about.lol) dont forget to disable collisions

rlmergeuser
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Did you ever have any luck with this?

so i kind of got it, i stuck the pipes thru the wheels and used physics joints. the settings for the physics joints are:
-point to point
-hard
-disable collision
-joint strength 50

the settings for the pipes are:
-physics enabled
-.1kg
-10 friction
-100% linear damping
-100% angular damping
-physics type: no contact response

it works, kind of, but for some reason the front peg is a lot more stable than the rear one. the front will pretty much always grind on the rail/ledge and not fall thry, while the rear one...not so much...any idea why?

rlmergeuser
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM
turn the joint strength all the way up.

rlmergeuser
05-07-2012, 06:08 AM
it works, kind of, but for some reason the front peg is a lot more stable than the rear one. the front will pretty much always grind on the rail/ledge and not fall thry, while the rear one...not so much...any idea why?

I tried to come up with something for you. You can put a pipe right through the middle of both wheels but you need to make sure and make point-to-point or other joint to the frame of the bike too. The hub (center) on each wheel is also connected to part of the frame and a pipe through the middle will collide if a no-collision joint is not made between these also.

Also try setting the angle (ie:pitch, yaw, and bank) of the pipe using the wheel as the source. I don't think pitch and yaw change. If you get the bank right the peg should be rock solid upon contact. I was working out the math this morning but didn't get finished with it. Maybe this will give you some ideas. If you still have trouble I will post pics and walk-through of what I got so far. I think it can be done.

Observation: the back wheel seems to have more bank than the front wheel... this is why your back peg will not stick and has a tendency to slide off. I put a rail close to the ground at an angle and watched the difference between front wheel response and back wheel while on top of the rail and while backing in underneath. Very interesting...

rlmergeuser
05-09-2012, 04:31 AM
^^^best response yet! thanks for posting your findings, they were very easy to understand. i shall try this when i have time (minecraft comes out tomorrow, i have silent hill hd, and im a battlefield fiend) good looks dude! http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

rlmergeuser
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I think the Physics Joint is the only way you can glue anything to the bike or rider, the Object Glue makes the glued pieces static so that won't work.

I tried using a Physics Joint on my rider and have it activate when he hits something (for a grabbing on effect) it made him go super elastic all over the place lol, then I found I could just use a Y button event..sorry that's irrelevant :b

The only other way would be using a object position event, you can keep the object (pipe) moving along with the bike but via animation at 16 miliseconds so it looks glued.