PDA

View Full Version : Main character of Unity? Can we have a female pretty-please?

Hekateras
03-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Just read this article (http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reveal-one-of-this-falls-two-assassins-1547111652) about glimpses of two new games set in Revolution-era France set to come out this Fall.

Does anyone know anything about who the main assassin character will be? It might be too late to influence writing decisions for these titles by this point, but I'd like to express (on behalf of all fellow female fans of AC, no doubt, and hopefully many of the male ones) a fervent, burning, passionate desire for this main line AC game to have a female as main assassin protagonist.

Not only is the series long overdue for a main line female assassin (with the excuses given for ACIII (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/722164/assassins-creed-3-why-there-are-no-female-assassins/) downright disappointing and unimaginative), the setting is also one almost uniquely suitable for it. Women in French court (or able to pass for someone of the court) held a great deal of power, if not always in the same ways as the men, and were as involved in political machinations and courtly intrigue as the men, if not more so. The best part is, the game could have a female character and still not be limited in its writing - I point you to crossdressing and to such unique historical figures as d'Eon de Beaumont (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_d'Eon), French diplomat and spy who messed around with people in terms of whether he was a man or woman until well after his death.

Please, a female (with or without crossdressing) assassin protagonist for this set of games could be amazing in terms of what it could offer the plot, truly making the game into something distinct from its predecessors and other games in the genre. I really love what the studio does and the way it recreates history and culture from many different countries and periods and lets us experience them, but there's still a lot of room for improvement in the way the studio handles its demographic and representation of women who make up half the human population. Considering the game series is set mostly in distant history and is uniquely suited to showing us the details of how people lived there (and that includes the actual way women and people of colour contributed to society, rather than what's perceived of it through today's lens, where their contributions are marginalised and erased), the game could really be doing better.

tunnelcat
03-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I'm a female player and it would have been more fun to play either of those 2 female pirates portrayed in ACIVBF and the book.

Crazybone992
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't think so. Latest rumors say that the protagonist is named Arno (this name is of germanic origin and means "eagle") and that he is the leader of the french assassins.

YazX_
03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
you had Aveline in Liberation and IMO its more than enough and dont like the idea of female assassin (personal opinion), but its clearly a guy from the sneak peak video shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLcjwqXATIM

byte_x
03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't think so. Latest rumors say that the protagonist is named Arno (this name is of germanic origin and means "eagle") and that he is the leader of the french assassins.

i hope you're right, because i want the assassins recuits back, and if hes the leader there will be obviously other assassins you can call like in brotherhood and revelations. plus, leveling up them with mini games or in-game combat is pretty nice too. and if you add the cool stuff you can do with assassin recuits in ac 3, like disguise or snipe, that would be awesome. and having as many recuits you want to have would be nice, like in revelations.

Syr.Jake
03-22-2014, 05:31 PM
you had Aveline in Liberation and IMO its more than enough and dont like the idea of female assassin (personal opinion),

You do realize that females make up somewhere around 42% of all gamers. Your statement that having a female protagonist in a minor version release of a HUGE franchise was more than enough is pretty much a slap in the face to all of those women gamers.

You are pretty much telling all of us to shut up and be happy with crumbs that Ubisoft sees fit to dole out in the hopes that we will go away and let you keep your fantasy world.

For a franchise as big as AC and from a company as big as Ubisoft, having the option to play as either male or female would seem to be something that they should be willing to do so that they can keep from alienating those 42% of gamers who are not male.

The establishment, and gamers such as yourself, need to get your heads out of your monitors and realize that catering to white, 15 - 25 year old (mentally) males is last century when it comes to gaming.

If you had paid ANY bit of attention to GDC, which just ended btw, you would realize that one of the games that took Top Honors has a female protagonist, and a lesbian one that at. 1/3 of the top honors this year went to a non male, non straight, character, yet 99% of AC is male.

Eventually this sexist, misogynistic attitude of gamers like yourself, and developers at companies like Ubisoft, will either join the real world, or die a slow death as a result of it.

Crazybone992
03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
You do realize that females make up somewhere around 42% of all gamers. Your statement that having a female protagonist in a minor version release of a HUGE franchise was more than enough is pretty much a slap in the face to all of those women gamers.

You are pretty much telling all of us to shut up and be happy with crumbs that Ubisoft sees fit to dole out in the hopes that we will go away and let you keep your fantasy world.

For a franchise as big as AC and from a company as big as Ubisoft, having the option to play as either male or female would seem to be something that they should be willing to do so that they can keep from alienating those 42% of gamers who are not male.

The establishment, and gamers such as yourself, need to get your heads out of your monitors and realize that catering to white, 15 - 25 year old (mentally) males is last century when it comes to gaming.

If you had paid ANY bit of attention to GDC, which just ended btw, you would realize that one of the games that took Top Honors has a female protagonist, and a lesbian one that at. 1/3 of the top honors this year went to a non male, non straight, character, yet 99% of AC is male.

Eventually this sexist, misogynistic attitude of gamers like yourself, and developers at companies like Ubisoft, will either join the real world, or die a slow death as a result of it.

Stop complaining and play Liberation if you want a female protagonist. I don't care whether the protagonist is male or female, I care only about great storyline and gameplay ^^.

YazX_
03-22-2014, 11:47 PM

you are making it personal about irrelevant sutff and putting words in my mouth, i dont care about how many male/female gamers out there nor i do care if GDC awards went to lesbians and gays. again IN MY PERSONAL OPINION i didnt like the idea of female assassin in Liberation, does it mean i'm insulting women?!!? it just didnt feel right FOR ME, maybe in other games, it would be perfect LIKE TOMB RAIDER,, but not in this game, DO YOU GET IT NOW!!!

you seriously need to stop interpreting things your way and read carefully whats written without extra analysis.

byte_x
03-23-2014, 02:52 AM

these guys are creating games, not exploring social statuses. stop finding everything so offensive. calm your bits. this is just for entertainment.

EmptyCrustacean
06-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Agree, there is a certain proportion of white male gamers who can't handle it when they're forced to play as either a woman or a person of colour. It really exposes the type of people they are. I think it's a reflection of a larger social issue - how some cannot emphasise with other human beings if they don't fit their social group. The men on this thread probably have issues with women in real life that transfers to how they perceive protagonist.

evulchibi
06-10-2014, 12:29 AM

Where did you get your statistics about female gamers? Are those 42% counting game platforms such as facebook / iphone games / browser games and so on , NON hardcore gamer type of games? I mean if there are 30 000 women playing farmville and 30 000 males playing assassin's creed , yet both are being calculated in your statistics it shows 50-50% but in the end Ubisoft wont make any money of those female "gamers" , thus they would focus on the audience that supports them.

Feminazi need to get their head out of their butts and stop telling people what they should say and what they should do , this isnt a totalitarianism world, its a free world!
Dont like the game? Well dont buy it!!! Problem solved!!! BUT ff you ohh so badly need female protagonists why not make your own company , create your own story build a successful game and deliver the female "gamers " supply need of feminist games.

But if you must fight social issues dont target gaming, there are real problems out there instead of focusing on the 0.5% of 1st world problems.

wenchslapper
06-10-2014, 07:54 AM

Oh my god, I only logged in just because I had to reply to this. I mean, this is freaking hilarious.

First of all, please realize that ubisoft is renown for the amount of female developers it has working under it. I'm pretty certain that the female developers actually outnumber their male developers.

Second, one of their top dogs in the company, Jade Raymond, has spoken about the general quality of characters in games. I'd like to show you, as well as support, what she has said. According to her, games need to have interesting characters. That's the main idea behind it. Her dream is to, eventually, have a game out there that stars an old lady.

So get over your little feminazi attitude about all of this and relax. The gender of the character shouldn't really matter all that much.....

Unless you want to get into the logic behind the game.... Which, to be honest, deals with both historical accuracy, as well as biological accuracy.

First, we'll cover history...

Looking back at history, you should note that women were only starting to be treated equally around the 1980s, give-or-take some years. Before that, they were pretty much equal to a house maid with a better image (unless rich, of course). Now, I only use that description because I feel that it's pretty accurate in terms of how ****ty life was for girls before woman's lib (even if it killed chivalry.... *****es....). Ahem. Anyways, that considered, you have to understand that the AC franchise will never make a game based in modern times. They even had an excuse for this put into Black Flag. The Abstergo gaming CEO states that "motorcycles and vehicles move too fast for the memory strands to keep up with them and therefore we'd have to do too much work, bla bla bla." So, really, we're never going to see an AC game based in a time where women were treated fairly. That means that, basically, women aren't going to be very useful in the stories. The AC team seem to realize this and have actually gone well out of their way to snag some key female characters from history just so they can toss them into their game. To be fair, however, most of these women weren't all that important to history. But AC has done a great job in jazzing that **** up. Still, you have to realize that the male characters in AC aren't going to be designed like guys from today/people in today's world. It wouldn't make logical sense. They'd be like the guys back in their appropriate times. Albeit, with some cool **** to back up their snazzyness. But, all things considered, they'll still be spawns of their environment. An environment that really doesn't support the idea of independent women.

Now, onto biology.... You're probably going to get mad at me for this one....

When you consider evolution, women are literally designed for childbirth. Men are designed for the protection of their mates. It's the same with literally every other mammalian species (at least most of them, I'm fairly certain). You see, men are designed so that they can challenge other males for the right to mate with a female. The stronger the man, the more mates he'll get. In the past, before we had marriage and **** like that, it was key to mate with as many females as possible. Therefore, you'd spread your seed more. The stronger you are, the more seeds you'd plant. Evolution reasonably favored the stronger males. There is no logical reason for it to favor stronger women. In fact, evolution would pretty much favor the more dependent women who looked better. Because that would attract more strong men. This being said, these Assassins are meant to be superhuman - literally. The pinnacle physical fitness level for a male is incomprehensibly higher than that of a woman. Therefore, a male assassin would be stronger than a female assassin. This is then capitalized on by the developers.

Locopells
06-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Keep it civil guys.

GunnerGalactico
06-10-2014, 10:04 AM
now, onto biology.... You're probably going to get mad at me for this one....

When you consider evolution, women are literally designed for childbirth. Men are designed for the protection of their mates. It's the same with literally every other mammalian species (at least most of them, i'm fairly certain). You see, men are designed so that they can challenge other males for the right to mate with a female. The stronger the man, the more mates he'll get. In the past, before we had marriage and **** like that, it was key to mate with as many females as possible. Therefore, you'd spread your seed more. The stronger you are, the more seeds you'd plant. Evolution reasonably favored the stronger males. There is no logical reason for it to favor stronger women. In fact, evolution would pretty much favor the more dependent women who looked better. Because that would attract more strong men. This being said, these assassins are meant to be superhuman - literally. The pinnacle physical fitness level for a male is incomprehensibly higher than that of a woman. Therefore, a male assassin would be stronger than a female assassin. This is then capitalized on by the developers.

I'm sorry, I have to laugh about this post. :p

@ locopells

Would be a good idea to lock this.

adventurewomen
06-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Some of the fans on this thread should play AC Liberation.. they're missing out on Aveline, she's awesome!

Locopells
06-10-2014, 10:30 AM
@ locopells

Would be a good idea to lock this.

As ever, one chance to do it right, otherwise I will...