PDA

View Full Version : More "Joys of flying mediocre aircraft"

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 07:26 PM
A while back someone wrote about the joys of flying mediocre planes. As a mediocre pilot, I have more fun flying I -16's against Fiats and Pz11's against TB-3's than I do flying the first rate aircraft. I don't get shot down nearly as often and stall/spin/crash even less. I have, however, had the engine die on me a few times in the I 16 and the biplane. I have only shot down 3 fighters so far. A P39 w/ a 109G, a Fiat with an I 16 and a Biplane with a Brewster.

I tried to shoot down an HE 111 with a Pz11. Could not catch it after my first pass. How did the Poles down 126 german planes with the Pz?

A few weeks ago I tried a YAK 9 against a Morko Moraine. Could not hit the blasted thing. Has anyone els taken on the Moraine? No one seems to talk about this plane.

Deutschland siegt an allen fronten.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 07:26 PM
A while back someone wrote about the joys of flying mediocre planes. As a mediocre pilot, I have more fun flying I -16's against Fiats and Pz11's against TB-3's than I do flying the first rate aircraft. I don't get shot down nearly as often and stall/spin/crash even less. I have, however, had the engine die on me a few times in the I 16 and the biplane. I have only shot down 3 fighters so far. A P39 w/ a 109G, a Fiat with an I 16 and a Biplane with a Brewster.

I tried to shoot down an HE 111 with a Pz11. Could not catch it after my first pass. How did the Poles down 126 german planes with the Pz?

A few weeks ago I tried a YAK 9 against a Morko Moraine. Could not hit the blasted thing. Has anyone els taken on the Moraine? No one seems to talk about this plane.

Deutschland siegt an allen fronten.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 08:55 PM
I've gunned down Moraines with my P-40 in several ocasions...

GATO_LOCO

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I sort of know what you mean, I usually fly for the team with the worst odds and the worst planes. But the P.11 is not a mediocre plane, at least not in this sim. It is actually quite uber, because it is currently the most invulnerable aircraft available. The P.11 and I-16 both have greatly exaggerated damage models for some reason, but I believe they are otherwise modelled realistically. P.11s have very effective armament and sufficient ammo to down half a dozen planes easily, with virtually no fear of being shot down themselves. I really wish this were corrected some day, because otherwise I like these planes.

Unfortunately, the speed is an issue (P.11s, in real life and in the sim, were even slower in level flight than Stukas). The only solution is to rely on altitude and the P.11s excellent dive abilities. I had a good Polish Air Force coop in the original IL2 which usually resulted in wholesale slaughter for the Luftwaffe (Bf109Es, Ju87Bs, Ju52s, He111s).

It amazes me when I see some people (in other posts) here putting down the Polish Air Force, as these pilots were some of the best in the world, with only the Finns possibly surpassing their skill.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 09:55 PM
go to QMB and setup Italian A/C to ace, its quite fun/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_01.jpg

http://www.dugg.ca/

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Play online.

<center>http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/bp_geminiCombined.gif

<center><table style="filter:glow[color=red,strength=1)">Warning: My intense sense of humor may tug at the stick crammed in your shaded spot.</table style></center> <center><table style="filter:glow[color=red,strength=1)">If you treasure your lack of humor please refrain from reading my posts as they may cause laughter.</table style></center> <center><table style="filter:glow[color=red,strength=1)">Heaven Forbid.</table style></center>
<center><table style="filter:glow[color=black,strength=4)"> P-39 Vet since the original IL-2 Sturmovik </table style></center> <center><table style="filter:glow[color=black,strength=4)"> Soon to be P-63 Vet </table style></center>

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif
<table style="filter:glow[color=green,strength=4)">www.blitzpigs.com</center> </table style>

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:12 PM
The I-16's,P-11's, 153's etc. are all nice planes. Too bad the in game flight characteristics resemble arcade planes. New comer's are the one's that I see using them the most because they are easy to fly. They fly at twice the actual speed they did in real life, turn on a dime and somehow they don't come apart in a steep dive keeping up with other planes that were designed for speed. Pilot kill's come way too often and too easy.
I too wish they would fix these planes, but for now I just stay out of servers with the option to use them. However ,if you are looking for arcade like settings these are definatly the planes to use.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:13 PM
sounds like a poor man's WW1 sim. Probably works the best, minus specifics of nationality and so on.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:37 PM
A mediocre plane is so much more challenging to fly, especially online. One must really concentrate and preserve E and climb whenever possible.
Thats exactly why I believe the 110 will be a joy to fly. Just imagine the satisfaction of downing late war single seaters caught unaware or just flying foolishly, eager to score an easy kill. Muhahaha (insanly evil laughter)/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

And when you go down, you'll go down in style. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

regards, GurraZ (aka "Nidhogg")

<center>http://student.nackademin.com/bit02109/nidhogg.jpg

Directo Avanto Directo Travertcis!

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 01:08 AM
I used to fly a P-47 in a Finland campaign, when FB first came out. I used to bag Morkos right along, and I was in a much heavier and less agile fighter. But I do think the average AI level was only average or veteran at best, that may explain it somewhat.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 02:22 AM
xenios wrote:
- I sort of know what you mean, I usually fly for the
- team with the worst odds and the worst planes. But
- the P.11 is not a mediocre plane, at least not in
- this sim. It is actually quite uber, because it is
- currently the most invulnerable aircraft available.
- The P.11 and I-16 both have greatly exaggerated
- damage models for some reason, but I believe they
- are otherwise modelled realistically. P.11s have
- very effective armament and sufficient ammo to down
- half a dozen planes easily, with virtually no fear
- of being shot down themselves. I really wish this
- were corrected some day, because otherwise I like
- these planes.
-
- Unfortunately, the speed is an issue (P.11s, in real
- life and in the sim, were even slower in level
- flight than Stukas). The only solution is to rely on
- altitude and the P.11s excellent dive abilities. I
- had a good Polish Air Force coop in the original IL2
- which usually resulted in wholesale slaughter for
- the Luftwaffe (Bf109Es, Ju87Bs, Ju52s, He111s).
-
- It amazes me when I see some people (in other posts)
- here putting down the Polish Air Force, as these
- pilots were some of the best in the world, with only
- the Finns possibly surpassing their skill.
-
I've only heard about the superlative skills of the Poles and the Czech pilots...from what I understand they were among the best trained in Europe.

http://palpatine.chez.tiscali.fr/Dilbert/Fist-Of-Death.gif

ALICE FOR MODERATOR!