PDA

View Full Version : Strange sound problem

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Hello Oleg!

First of all I wanna thank you and your team for your excellent work and support of this game /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

Now, let's go to problems /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif .

It has happened twice (in 1.21) that when I fly I hear a loud machine gun firing like it's next to me and I get scared. I look around (though I always look around and know if someone is close) and I see no one.

Anyone else noticed this? Is there something we can do about it?

PS> I have never had such problem with previous versions.
PS> I saw in another thread (general discussion) that someone else noticed it too.
PS> I have no special sound card. It's a simple sound card on my gigabyte motherboard.

Thanks again /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Hello Oleg!

First of all I wanna thank you and your team for your excellent work and support of this game /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

Now, let's go to problems /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif .

It has happened twice (in 1.21) that when I fly I hear a loud machine gun firing like it's next to me and I get scared. I look around (though I always look around and know if someone is close) and I see no one.

Anyone else noticed this? Is there something we can do about it?

PS> I have never had such problem with previous versions.
PS> I saw in another thread (general discussion) that someone else noticed it too.
PS> I have no special sound card. It's a simple sound card on my gigabyte motherboard.

Thanks again /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Turn off extensions and lower your sound rate to 16 channel/22000. You are getting "skip" issues and actually hearing your own guns that you fired minutes before.

You may also want to turn your sound hardware accelerator down one notch in dxdiag. Go to "Run" type in dxdiag, and go to the sound tab. On board sound cards are not the best for 3d type sound, although they are fine for most listening environments.

(I had same problem and messed with it until it was fixed)

MB: A7V8X-X, AMD XP 2600, 1024 MB PC2700 DDR.

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/Fehler.jpg

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 09:39 AM
same problem here. Never had that problem before. I only heard near explosions on 1.11 and 1.2 beta, but not in RC02. In RC02 my only problem was to hear the planes from great distances.

Seems that a lot of people have the same problem (saw it on other posts)

Audigy 2 + Latest drivers (ones with EAX4.0 update)+Surround Speakers+16 voices. Hardware extensiones on, of course.

Athlon XP 2400+
Club3D ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ASUS A7n8X Motherboard
2x512Mb DDR333 RAM
Windows XP Pro
2xWD120Gb ATA100 HDs
Audigy 2

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Fehler wrote:
- Turn off extensions and lower your sound rate to 16
- channel/22000. You are getting "skip" issues and
- actually hearing your own guns that you fired
- minutes before.
-
- You may also want to turn your sound hardware
- accelerator down one notch in dxdiag. Go to "Run"
- type in dxdiag, and go to the sound tab. On board
- sound cards are not the best for 3d type sound,
- although they are fine for most listening
- environments.
-

But one time this happened though I had not fired with my weapons in this mission! Unless it still "remembers" firing from previous missions! Don't know... And this gun's sound is not like my BF's weapons. Another strange thing.

Anyway, I'll try your suggestions.

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 10:28 AM
That's weird Zen, I havent had that problem.

The one thing I noticed was at 44000 setting, the engine sounds werent homogeneous (10 cent word there, huh?).

Instead it sounded like an old oil field pump - I lived in West Texas for 18 years, so the sound is all too familiar. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Then I would fire the gune and get the gun sound sometimes 20-30 seconds later. That's what I thought you were describing. But in any event, all these anomalies disappeared when I reduced the sampling rate to 22000. Default seemed kinda shallow, but the game seems to run fine for me at 22000.

I am by no means a tech-head though. I use the trial and error method and my SWAG tool to get things right.

Oh for all of you that dont know what a SWAG tool is, they issue these things in the military, and I kept mine when I got out. SWAG= Scientific Wild-*** Guess. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 10:35 AM
I'm wondering if this problem couldn't be tested. Massive parallel,er,ity. Ism /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Maybe make notes on all current sound settings

Possibly design a coop mission with just one or two objects-with-guns (maybe of differing types)

Task an aircraft at different heights/distances and let it fly around for a bit

Then fly the same waypoints as pilot

Lay a track down maybe [recording audio theme] /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif and then audition it for audio naughtiness from the mixer desk [theme]

Maybe the track won't be played back on the same hardware by other people so will sound completely different <who dares wins> but the developer could have a machine set up in the same way and your test mission data might be useful in helping uncover audio naughtiness. Not completely beyond the bounds of credibility. Not mine the suggested test /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Ming

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Ming_EAF92 wrote:
- I'm wondering if this problem couldn't be tested.
- Massive parallel,er,ity. Ism /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
-
- Maybe make notes on all current sound settings
-
- Possibly design a coop mission with just one or two
- objects-with-guns (maybe of differing types)
-
- Task an aircraft at different heights/distances and
- let it fly around for a bit
-
- Then fly the same waypoints as pilot
-
- Lay a track down maybe [recording audio theme] /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif and then audition it for audio
- naughtiness from the mixer desk [theme]
-
- Maybe the track won't be played back on the same
- hardware by other people so will sound completely
- different <who dares wins> but the developer could
- have a machine set up in the same way and your test
- mission data might be useful in helping uncover
- audio naughtiness. Not completely beyond the bounds
- of credibility. Not mine the suggested test /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
-
- Ming
-
My goodness! Are you inspector 21? You know, the guy who puts those annoying tags in all my new underwear? LOL!

Actually, that is a great idea, unfortunately I just dont have the time to perform such tests. I want to play this game too! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif