PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR2 - first impression (no fiddling, just start and go...)

Freycinet
01-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Here is the story of my first â˝ hour with trackIR2.

I just installed TrackIR2, taped the "Darth Vader"-like receptor to the top of my monitor, put on the cap, and opened the TrackIR2 program.

Woohoo!, the desktop cursor starts to follow my head movements! - Pretty cool.

It doesn't want to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen, so I have to tilt the receptor a bit downwards, no sweat.

Precision control works fine, I can pretty much position the cursor on whatever pixel I want.

Using my mouse on the desktop is possible in "mouse emulation"-mode only. That means the cursor doesn't auto-center according to my head position if I've been looking beyond the edges of the screen and then look back towards the monitor. Too bad, I wonder if the "absolute mode" will be incorporated in XP one day (is it already?).

Anyway, I set absolute mode (=automatic recentering according to your head position) and fire up Il-2:FB.

"Let's see, what mission do I want for a first try..." - OK, quick-mision: me in a Hurri against an "average" Bf-109E, that should be doable.

Now, will it work?... 25% loaded, 90%, humans loaded, and..... GO!

YAHOO!! - It works! View careening around the cockpit like mad, now, calm down, calm down...
- There we go, looking forward more or less steadily, easy does it... Ah, that's better.

Absolute mode works a charm: I look down from the monitor to find a button on my keyboard, look up again and voilĂ : the view centers all by itself.

It's a bit confusing, though, that the monitor view turns down towards my cockpit seat whenever I look down at my keyboard. Mental note: set those keyboard buttons to my joystick so I won't have to do it too often!

Ooops, the little speck on the horizon is fast growing into a furious Jerry bent on throwing lead my way. Pull up and to the side a bit, keep him in sight: hey this works like a charm!! - I steer away from his guns but smoothly keep my view centered on him at all times! - Now a good kick on the rudder and his tracers curve harmlessly away beneath me. Time for the MERGE!

Wings to vertical, pull back on the stick and gaze FIRMLY planted on the Emil all the way through the merge, WAUW, this is smooth sailing!! - The trackIR2 has become second nature in a jiffy, and situational awareness is better than ever.

Pulling round and firmly planting myself on the 6 o'clock of the extending Bf. He knows his mount, extends and climbs away from my panting Hurri. Lazy circles as he climbs and I fire a few potshots in the vain hope of scoring a hit. Damn' convergence set too close, my bullets are cross-eyed today and wander off in opposite directions.

After a while of this, Jerry tires and goes for a split-S to get out of his predicament. I lift my nose and he disappears below me. Speed bleeding off I follow him round, all the time keeping him perfectly in sight. Doing this with head movements really comes naturally and now I pull up behind him, a good deal closer. View set to zoom and let him have it! - Yes! - a hit! His port elevator comes of in a puff of smoke and he starts spiralling down. Going back to wide view.

Now, idle engine and stay on his tail. What's that, another bit falling off the Emil? As I dive down my gaze focuses on the speck and follows it upwards. It zooms by me, but I can easily keep it in sight. As the speck is silhouetted against the blue sky above me I discern a tiny "X". It's Jerry who has baled out! Victory!

Another lazy circle above the battlefield and the smoking pyre from the Bf-109 rises from the ground. I look up my way home on the map (get the "M"-key mapped to the stick too!) and turn towards my base. Bad stutter just before landing, but I save the approach with a few dozens of feet to spare. Coming in a bit slow I flare and with my view glued to the horizon I really see the plane bounce as I touch the ground one, two and then three times, before coming to a brisk roll and then a full stop. Thanks to the designers for the sturdy undercarriage of the Hurri!

Conclusion: Wauw, that was a pretty fantastic experience with this TrackIR2-thingie! - I look forward to fiddling with the settings, but it really was an amazing experience right out of the box. The life-like feel and instinctive use of this gadget just changed my game tremendously.

Freycinet
01-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Here is the story of my first â˝ hour with trackIR2.

I just installed TrackIR2, taped the "Darth Vader"-like receptor to the top of my monitor, put on the cap, and opened the TrackIR2 program.

Woohoo!, the desktop cursor starts to follow my head movements! - Pretty cool.

It doesn't want to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen, so I have to tilt the receptor a bit downwards, no sweat.

Precision control works fine, I can pretty much position the cursor on whatever pixel I want.

Using my mouse on the desktop is possible in "mouse emulation"-mode only. That means the cursor doesn't auto-center according to my head position if I've been looking beyond the edges of the screen and then look back towards the monitor. Too bad, I wonder if the "absolute mode" will be incorporated in XP one day (is it already?).

Anyway, I set absolute mode (=automatic recentering according to your head position) and fire up Il-2:FB.

"Let's see, what mission do I want for a first try..." - OK, quick-mision: me in a Hurri against an "average" Bf-109E, that should be doable.

Now, will it work?... 25% loaded, 90%, humans loaded, and..... GO!

YAHOO!! - It works! View careening around the cockpit like mad, now, calm down, calm down...
- There we go, looking forward more or less steadily, easy does it... Ah, that's better.

Absolute mode works a charm: I look down from the monitor to find a button on my keyboard, look up again and voilĂ : the view centers all by itself.

It's a bit confusing, though, that the monitor view turns down towards my cockpit seat whenever I look down at my keyboard. Mental note: set those keyboard buttons to my joystick so I won't have to do it too often!

Ooops, the little speck on the horizon is fast growing into a furious Jerry bent on throwing lead my way. Pull up and to the side a bit, keep him in sight: hey this works like a charm!! - I steer away from his guns but smoothly keep my view centered on him at all times! - Now a good kick on the rudder and his tracers curve harmlessly away beneath me. Time for the MERGE!

Wings to vertical, pull back on the stick and gaze FIRMLY planted on the Emil all the way through the merge, WAUW, this is smooth sailing!! - The trackIR2 has become second nature in a jiffy, and situational awareness is better than ever.

Pulling round and firmly planting myself on the 6 o'clock of the extending Bf. He knows his mount, extends and climbs away from my panting Hurri. Lazy circles as he climbs and I fire a few potshots in the vain hope of scoring a hit. Damn' convergence set too close, my bullets are cross-eyed today and wander off in opposite directions.

After a while of this, Jerry tires and goes for a split-S to get out of his predicament. I lift my nose and he disappears below me. Speed bleeding off I follow him round, all the time keeping him perfectly in sight. Doing this with head movements really comes naturally and now I pull up behind him, a good deal closer. View set to zoom and let him have it! - Yes! - a hit! His port elevator comes of in a puff of smoke and he starts spiralling down. Going back to wide view.

Now, idle engine and stay on his tail. What's that, another bit falling off the Emil? As I dive down my gaze focuses on the speck and follows it upwards. It zooms by me, but I can easily keep it in sight. As the speck is silhouetted against the blue sky above me I discern a tiny "X". It's Jerry who has baled out! Victory!

Another lazy circle above the battlefield and the smoking pyre from the Bf-109 rises from the ground. I look up my way home on the map (get the "M"-key mapped to the stick too!) and turn towards my base. Bad stutter just before landing, but I save the approach with a few dozens of feet to spare. Coming in a bit slow I flare and with my view glued to the horizon I really see the plane bounce as I touch the ground one, two and then three times, before coming to a brisk roll and then a full stop. Thanks to the designers for the sturdy undercarriage of the Hurri!

Conclusion: Wauw, that was a pretty fantastic experience with this TrackIR2-thingie! - I look forward to fiddling with the settings, but it really was an amazing experience right out of the box. The life-like feel and instinctive use of this gadget just changed my game tremendously.

olaleier
01-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Welcome aboard! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Watch out for sore neck during the first days though.

Freycinet
01-02-2004, 10:38 AM
so Ola, no absolute mode on the desktop?

olaleier
01-02-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't think so. Enhanced mode seems to talk straight to the view-controls without going through the mouse. Mouse-emulation talks to the mouse simply, and it works the way it works. Are you sure you want to go into the mystical world of point-your-nose and click? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Freycinet
01-02-2004, 12:03 PM
hehe, good point...

BaldieJr
01-02-2004, 12:06 PM
How long did delivery take? I ordered mine on monday, got confirmation email, but never recieved a UPS tracking number. I emailed naturalpoint sales dept but have yet to hear from them.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got the e-mail from np. Looks like it wont ship till next week.

Weak.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

Freycinet
01-02-2004, 12:21 PM
ehh, do you have new year in your country? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BaldieJr
01-02-2004, 12:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:
ehh, do you have new year in your country? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Oddly enough, the new year did not effect the withdrawal of monies from my checking account.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

Freycinet
01-03-2004, 03:52 AM
oh, I see... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Freycinet
01-03-2004, 05:29 AM
BTW, just a small question: which control key do I bind to my joystick to have a "center view"-option that works with TrackIR2 (absolute mode)?

I tried with one key, but it seems to me that it only centered for a split second before the trackir view took over again...

So, it would be an "on-Off"-button-thing I'm looking for, does it exist?

olaleier
01-03-2004, 06:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:
BTW, just a small question: which control key do I bind to my joystick to have a "center view"-option that works with TrackIR2 (absolute mode)?

I tried with one key, but it seems to me that it only centered for a split second before the trackir view took over again...

So, it would be an "on-Off"-button-thing I'm looking for, does it exist?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure does, look under "Hotkeys" in the app, I think it's F9 by default.

kubanloewe
01-03-2004, 06:25 AM
I sell it ...

only advantage it has was looking 180 degrees behind LOL

"Finde den Feind und schiesse ihn ab alles andere ist Unsinn"
Rittmeister Freiherrr Manfred von Richthofen

arcadeace
01-03-2004, 06:27 AM
This has been a great thread, I'm gonna purchase mine this week. Thanks for sharing your first impression and for everyone's impute. I'm looking forward to a new game http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_222_1073065682.jpg

AIRMIKEY
01-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Frey-man, If I am understanding your posts...work out your deadzone and you won't need to waste a joystick button..I never turn mine off and the only time I even hit recenter is if I change planes...IE. go from an I-16 to a FW or somethin..

Airmikey

DONB3397
01-03-2004, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Freycinet:
"Here is the story of my first â˝ hour with trackIR2." /QUOTE]

Nice narrative. Felt like we were going through the first 1/2 hour with you. Think you just sold another TrackIR2. Thanks.

Winning isn't everything;
It's the only thing!
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fe77b7e_1812a/bc/Images/Sig---1.jpg?BCfT77_AYglnLZQo

reddevil49
01-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Got mine yesterday and preety much the same story. I used the profile in the back of the manual and it worked for me.As I was playing I found out how much I move around and that smoking at the same time is not a good thing. Yes I will admit it made me feel a little queazy and dizzy but the wife says that just the way I always am. gota lover. The immerstion factor with the game went up to a 110 percent along with the fun factor and I would recomend it any flight simmer. Still trying to figure out the dead zone as I find it hard to sit still but well worth the price I paid just love it.

rummyrum
01-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Set a deadzone and learn to shot with Tir on. It really is the easiest way after you get use to it. You will also want a re-center key. (Numpad 5 is convient as it is also snap forward in the game settings).

Have fun!

Freycinet
01-03-2004, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rummyrum:
Set a deadzone and learn to shot with Tir on. It really is the easiest way after you get use to it. You will also want a re-center key. (Numpad 5 is convient as it is also snap forward in the game settings).

Have fun!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, but can I have a re-center key even though the absolute mode is on.

What I'd like to have is a button that will disable trackir2 while held down, and just give me a steady forward view. Does that exist?

I agree that it's probably better to just get used to trackir on all the time, but I'd like to judge for myself by testing it...

AirBot
01-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Bah! Now I'm jealous http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Freycinet
01-03-2004, 11:17 PM
you should be! - And start saving those 130$....

Indianer.
01-04-2004, 03:07 AM
TrackIR .....nuff said.

"durch wehrwillen zur wehrkraft"

Extreme_One
01-04-2004, 04:37 AM
Great post!
I've gotta get one too.
I've played around with cam2pan (www.mousevision.com (http://www.mousevision.com)) and although it has flaws I was impressed enough to realise the potential of TrackIR.
Just gotta start saving I suppose.

S! Simon
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''

Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://www.mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm).

http://extremeone.4t.com/images/ex1_soon.jpg

Freycinet
01-04-2004, 06:19 AM
seems I overlooked some postings in here, thx olaleier and others for your re-centering key advice, I'll try it out.

I made a custom profile, it looks something like this (almost as the stock "deadzone" profile):

-- --
----------- -----------
-----

-It works fine, the deadzone in the middle is very helpful. The center slowdown when panning smoothly from one side to another can feel a bit strange, but such a side-to-side pan is not done often, so it's fine.

Freycinet
01-04-2004, 06:41 AM
oops, that didn't work out. Well, it looks like this, only lying down: }

Ragman_
01-04-2004, 10:08 AM

yes, but can I have a re-center key even though the absolute mode is on.

What I'd like to have is a button that will disable trackir2 while held down, and just give me a steady forward view. Does that exist?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use X45 stick and I have the pinkie switch on it programmed to recenter. When held, it keeps forward view steady until released. Usually just center view once and fly though, once the deadzone is set up correctly, then holding center is hardly necessary. Of course getting the hang of flying with little head movement while tracking a target has been the biggest trick to it.

AirBot
01-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Beh! I'm happy enough as it is. And if anything, that extra mullah is first and foremost going towards the purchase of a new vid. card (which I've been meaning to get for quite a while now) - that old GF MX420 just doesn't cut it anymore.

Now if anyone wants to donate a TrackIR unit to me for being such a lovely sport and all... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

you should be! - And start saving those 130$....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Freycinet
01-04-2004, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AirBot:
Beh! I'm happy enough as it is. And if anything, that extra mullah is first and foremost going towards the purchase of a new vid. card (which I've been meaning to get for quite a while now) - that old GF MX420 just doesn't cut it anymore.

Now if anyone wants to donate a TrackIR unit to me for being such a lovely sport and all... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

you should be! - And start saving those 130$....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, if you have an MX-card you should upgrade the card next.

BUT: after I've tried trackir2 I just can't imagine going back to padlock, hatswitch, etc... - It just feels like a terrible confinement.

Freycinet
01-05-2004, 03:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AirBot:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW, If you write for a magazine, then you might get Naturalpoint to send you a free copy. That's how I got mine, I am doing a review of it for a flight magazine here in Denmark.

AirBot
01-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately, I don't write for a magazine, and don't see the prospect in the near future.
Though if you know a magazine that wouldn't mind hiring a 16 year old, if rather literate, simmer and giving him free stuff, I won't object... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BTW, If you write for a magazine, then you might get Naturalpoint to send you a free copy. That's how I got mine, I am doing a review of it for a flight magazine here in Denmark.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sturmtrooper
01-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Okay , okay I've heard enough . I swore that I would first purchase a better vid card . Went from GeForce 3 Ti-200 to GeForce 4 Ti-800 128 Mb . Now that I got that outta the way , I'm goin' for Track IR . I've been usin' NewView and it's a lot better than just plain ol' hat switch . I only have a couple of questions :
1) Will Track IR look okay on my 17 inch monitor ? (bigger monitor was my next upgrade)
2) Do you get much of a FPS hit when you use it ? I only have 512 Mb of RAM .
Oh , one more question .
Should I buy a neck brace to help with the whip-lash after I get TIR set up ? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

For Sale: Taliban rifle. Never fired. Dropped once