PDA

View Full Version : AEP successfully installed?

HH Quazi
03-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Anyone installed over 1.22 without any problems?

HH Quazi
03-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Anyone installed over 1.22 without any problems?

steve_v
03-03-2004, 10:13 PM
I did

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/241057.jpg

HH Quazi
03-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I just read the instructions on installation inside the jacket. It says to install over 1.00 or 1.21. Dosen't say nothing about 1.22. So you might be in the minority if you got it to work over 1.22 Steve_v. Haven't heard from anyone else yet. Thanks for responding Steve_v. You and LuckyBoy1 recently helped me get my AGP enabled through the Tech forum. Big thanks for that too. S!

SKY_BOSS
03-03-2004, 10:44 PM
ACES over 1.22 and no problems here.

http://members.cox.net/ironwarlock/skynew.jpg

SKY_BOSS
03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
ACES over 1.22 here with no problems. Not only that . It runs smooth as cream.

http://members.cox.net/ironwarlock/skynew.jpg

HH Quazi
03-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Bump. I'd like to know before I go copying very large folders or even the whole FB folder. Thanks! S!

Slammin_
03-03-2004, 11:47 PM
an installed FB is very portable. I can copy the entire folder to my kids machine and play from there. The only problem is, if I went to install ACEs on the kids machine, the installer would automatically install it into the default path and the game wont run, unless I just happened to copy the FB fold to the default path on the second machine.

The fix for that is to just copy all the files ACEs just installed right over your 1.22 but you have to use the 1.22 icon to actually run the sim. This seems to work just fine, but it's ugly sounding so I'm reinstalling everything from scratch soon.

BuzzU
03-03-2004, 11:53 PM
No problems over 1.22. Maybe it said to install over 1.21, because 1.22 wasn't out when that was printed.

Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Jamnut/clark19.jpg

HH Quazi
03-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Can't I just rename the FB folder I have now, then install FB again from the cd, then install AEP over that? Seems like I could then drag and drop the files and folders that I want to keep, out of the old one into the new one. S!

LEXX_Luthor
03-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Installed over a fresh 1.0.

But...I did have a (non~"install") copy of 1.22 on a second hard drive partition. Maybe that is why I am not getting the V2 rocket....okay V1.

Leech_
03-04-2004, 02:09 AM
It all comes down to registry values. First read my other posting at: http://tinyurl.com/3fsxk

I also installed AEP over 1.22 and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Someone said that the AEP readme stated clearly to install AEP _only_ on 1.0 or 1.21 versions, but I cant check that now.

Copying the files from the "wrong" AEP folder to existing FB folder may cause undesired effects. Intalling all from scratch is not needed if you do 2 registryvalue files pointing to your existing FB dir and install AEP again.

For example here is a registry that should exist and should contain correct information. If not, fix it.

At key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles there is value language, check that You have it Ok.
("language"=<YOUR LANGUAGE VERSION OF THE FB HERE>) And theres the more important directory value (which AEP uses to find the installation folder)
"directory"=<YOUR PRESENT FB FOLDER> ..
It doesnt have to be the original installation folder you have specified.

Below is one example of this. You can copy it to notepad, change the values according to your system and save it as a *.reg -file. Then double click it to make the entry.

-------- START CUT (EXCLUDE THIS LINE) -------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles]
"language"="en_us"
"directory"="C:\\apps\\IL2FB\\"
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\1.0]
@=""
-------- STOP (EXCLUDE THIS LINE) -----------

Theres also another registry value containing the path (And if Youre using UBI.com bunch of others) at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App .. It can be that the AEP is looking the path from here also, and this path could be missing in fresh install of FB 1.0! (Cannot check this right now)

Cheers,
Leech / Lufthunden
www.lufthunden.com

Leech_
03-04-2004, 02:37 AM
It all comes down to registry values. First read my other posting at: http://tinyurl.com/3fsxk

I also installed AEP over 1.22 and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Someone said that the AEP readme stated clearly to install AEP _only_ on 1.0 or 1.21 versions, but I cant check that now.

Copying the files from the "wrong" AEP folder to existing FB folder may cause undesired effects. Intalling all from scratch is not needed if you do 2 registryvalue files pointing to your existing FB dir and install AEP again.

For example here is a registry that should exist and should contain correct information. If not, fix it.

At key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles there is value language, check that You have it Ok.
("language"=<YOUR LANGUAGE VERSION OF THE FB HERE>) And theres the more important directory value (which AEP uses to find the installation folder)
"directory"=<YOUR PRESENT FB FOLDER> ..
It doesnt have to be the original installation folder you have specified.

Below is one example of this. You can copy it to notepad, change the values according to your system and save it as a *.reg -file. Then double click it to make the entry.

-------- START CUT (EXCLUDE THIS LINE) -------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles]
"language"="en_us"
"directory"="C:\\apps\\IL2FB\\"
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\1.0]
@=""
-------- STOP (EXCLUDE THIS LINE) -----------

Theres also another registry value containing the path (And if Youre using UBI.com bunch of others) at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App path\.... It can be that the AEP is looking the path from here also, and this path could be missing in fresh install of FB 1.0! (Cannot check this right now)

Cheers,
Leech / Lufthunden
www.lufthunden.com

HH Quazi
03-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Thank you for your detailed response. I will check for those registry keys and do what is neccessary if they are not there or reading like they should. Again, thank you!! S!

DONB3397
03-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Installed over a fresh 1.0.

But...I did have a (non~"install") copy of 1.22 on a second hard drive partition. Maybe that is why I am not getting the V2 rocket....okay V1.

Lexx, were you able to bring your 1.22 campaigns/missions/skins into the 1.0+AEP installation?

My copy of AEP hasn't arrived yet, but it seems reasonable to reinstall 1.0 on one of my hard drives and install AEP over that ...assuming we don't lose the improvements from the patches in this process.

Winning isn't everything;
It's the only thing!
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fe77b7e_1812a/bc/Images/Sig---1.jpg?BCWF8PAB24YqLZQo

Bearcat99
03-04-2004, 09:36 AM
I actually did both.... after i got the panic last night..LMAO..and thought I missed out on a B-25...DUUUHHHH they both work fine.. I think Buzz got it on the head..... I think the 1.22 patch was originally supposed to be in the AEP.....

antifreeze
03-04-2004, 09:50 AM
If you haven't got the V1 in your FMB, you need to correct your bldconf.ini file manually because the installer failed to write to the file (maybe the ini file was 'read-only'?).

Open bldconf.ini in notepad. Find the section: [builder_plugins]
And insert this line:
(builder.PlMisRocket,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/rockets.ini)

http://forgotten.battles.pulpo.co.uk/il2logo.gif

mortoma
03-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I had to reinstall the entire game due to hosed registry values. But it was no big deal, I simply copied my old Ubi directory over to my spare D: drive first, so as to back up old campaign info.
Then I did an uninstall of the original and then re-installed the two FB disks, then the AEP. Didn't even take very log really. And for some reason, I had all of my old campaigns on the new install so I never had to copy anything from my D: on the top of my new install. Everything was there!! I only had to redo the settings for the
IL2setup.exe ( took about 20 seconds ) and redo all of my graphic quality settings, which took about 10 seconds. My control keys setups were all the same.

TugZooey
03-04-2004, 10:14 AM
I installed over 1.22, seems to have worked fine. I wasn't able to take-off in the GO 229, however, but I think it was my end on that. It wouldn't start :(, but autopilot could.

The_Wind_Dancer
03-04-2004, 11:47 AM
i tried the V2 intercept mission.
i flew over the target area for quite a while.
The rocket never took off, or even showed up.
I installed over 1.22.
... go figure.

Now i'm wondering what else i may be missing.
Any US or Pacific Campaigns ?

HH Quazi
03-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Well, after reading most of the posts about having to do a fresh install, I decided to save what folders I wanted to and installed AEP over 1.22 I mean if it didn't work, I could do a fresh install of FB and AEP then put my saved folders back where they belong. As it has turned out, AEP installed with no problems over 1.22 for me. The only thing I don't have is the V-1 rockets and before posting this, I read above how to fix that. Very cool. Thanks! Anyway, just thought I'd let it be known that I had no problems. Lucky I guess. Just curious as to why some folks are having problems. I mean what could be so different on my FB install than anyone elses? Oh well, I'm not complaining. lol S!

HH Quazi
03-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Thank you antifreeze. After the install of AEP over 1.22, I didn't have the V-1. I inserted the line below where you said to and it worked. I have V-1's now. YeeHa!! S!
Originally posted by antifreeze:
If you haven't got the V1 in your FMB, you need to correct your bldconf.ini file manually because the installer failed to write to the file (maybe the ini file was 'read-only'?).

Open bldconf.ini in notepad. Find the section: [builder_plugins]
And insert this line:
(builder.PlMisRocket,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/rockets.ini)

http://forgotten.battles.pulpo.co.uk/il2logo.gif

steve_v
03-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by QuaziMotto:
Just curious as to why some folks are having problems. I mean what could be so different on my FB install than anyone elses?

From a reliable source:

Oleg_Maddox
VIP

The installer will copy files only to the place where was installed officially FB. And only buy this way.
If you moved or copied pirated FB then installer will not even install AEP and wil say that FB isn't found....

The_Wind_Dancer
03-04-2004, 02:05 PM
if the V1 is missing when installing over 1.22
odds are a "few" other "little" things could be missing too.

...mmmm

3.JG51_Stecher
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
I had the missing rockets as well, but that line fixed it, thanks antifreeze.

I was thinking the same thing about other missing items that don't stand out. Do we know this to be the only one, or have others been found?

http://flygirl.dhs.org:8080/jg51/Alpine-Thunder.jpg

3./Jagdgeschwader 51
3./JG51_Stecher
www.jg51.com (http://www.jg51.com)

steve_v
03-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by The_Wind_Dancer:
if the V1 is missing when installing over 1.22
odds are a "few" other "little" things could be missing too.

...mmmm
please see - Attention: About bug reports / Oleg Maddox's Ready Room

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=731107852

AIRMIKEY
03-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Aces over 1.22 here, no probs..

Airmikey

ThreeCrow
03-04-2004, 03:54 PM
I installed Aces over the 1.22 with no problem also. Everything seems to work smoothly (very smoothly) but I have, as yet, not tried to fly rockets.

Sound seems to be improved also.

I must add, however, that I installed Aces over a near virgin FB (no campaigns started), on a newly built machine (finished building just in time and I still have not installed Cat drivers 3.7 or 4.1 but still much tweaking to do) and the only third party software was the excellent Il2 Stab.

In short, I am very pleased. If I have to locate and buy an additional third party disc to enjoy US or British campaigns... so be it.

I have not downloaded any third party campaigns as yet... do they use the same interface with the immersive profiles of squadmates? I would really miss that aspect.

I have:
Windows XP Pro
Amd 2000
ATI 9600 se (I know... but I was on budget).
ASUS A7N8X Delux with the soundstorm
768 of Kingston PC 3200 Ram (actually, two 256 sticks of Kingston and one Samsung)

I may try to install Aces on my previous machine which is still intact and has a ton of third party skins and software... just to see what happens, but since it is but an Athlon 550 and ATI 7000 I doubt that those results will be of interest to anyone.

Cheers

"Never Underestimate what a soldier will do in the defense of his country."
Gen Wesley Clark

ThreeCrow
03-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Yup,

Just tried to fly the rocket. It is ok in an air start but will not ignite on the ground (and your wingies will bail immediately). I am sure that this will be addressed in a patch.

As an aside, and a definite plus, is a little detail I noticed when testing the P 38. Port engine whirred, fired up, and then died. Did restart ok and (I assume) that this was purpose written to add realism... it does! (It does not do this everytime... just on the odd occasion). Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

"Never Underestimate what a soldier will do in the defense of his country."
Gen Wesley Clark

Oscar_352nd
03-04-2004, 05:47 PM
I have four separate installs of FB

- V 1.22
- v 2.0 w/ AEP
- V 1.22 w/ BoE
- V 2.0 w/ BoE and AEP

All the AEP's installed flawlessly!!
I am a VERY Happy pilot.

Once again - I am extremely impressed with the whole IL2 project and its creators!

http://webpages.charter.net/rogerlavender/images/400sig.GIF