PDA

View Full Version : Tales from online: staying cool in the desert, and 109 gunnery.

Jumoschwanz
05-24-2004, 09:48 AM
I flew the desert map for the first time on the mudmovers server over the weekend. I flew the 109g2 with gunpods. I had no problems overheating at all, Why? Because from the start I took off and climbed to between 3 and 5k altitude. Up there the plane ran the same as always. In the few hours I was on the server the only time I had a prob with overheating was when I ran on the deck for a long time. Really cool to have this desert map modeled this way. I hear some planes are better in the desert than others, well being a life long mechanic, that is no surprise as every different make of vehicle with an internal combustion engine runs differently in the heat depending on things such as the water jacketing of the cylinder block and the way air is ducted to radiators, air cooled engines are basically screwed in the heat.

Maybe the german twenty mm cannons have a little more power this patch, but to get a kill in one or two shots I still need the gunpods. IN the heat of combat one is moving fast and short of time for a shot and you are very lucky to have your shot go exactly on the plane where you want it. In past patches I used to be able to write my name on a wing with the 109's twenty mm cannon. This patch I am having trouble hitting. It seems it takes more lead to hit someone in a turn, and less elevation for straight on shots. Maybe I had a minor stroke and don't realize it and am re-educating my motor skills. But I have been flying this sim since 2001 and online for over two years and this is how it seems to me. I hope this helps someone with their gunnery or desert flying, S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
05-24-2004, 09:48 AM
I flew the desert map for the first time on the mudmovers server over the weekend. I flew the 109g2 with gunpods. I had no problems overheating at all, Why? Because from the start I took off and climbed to between 3 and 5k altitude. Up there the plane ran the same as always. In the few hours I was on the server the only time I had a prob with overheating was when I ran on the deck for a long time. Really cool to have this desert map modeled this way. I hear some planes are better in the desert than others, well being a life long mechanic, that is no surprise as every different make of vehicle with an internal combustion engine runs differently in the heat depending on things such as the water jacketing of the cylinder block and the way air is ducted to radiators, air cooled engines are basically screwed in the heat.

Maybe the german twenty mm cannons have a little more power this patch, but to get a kill in one or two shots I still need the gunpods. IN the heat of combat one is moving fast and short of time for a shot and you are very lucky to have your shot go exactly on the plane where you want it. In past patches I used to be able to write my name on a wing with the 109's twenty mm cannon. This patch I am having trouble hitting. It seems it takes more lead to hit someone in a turn, and less elevation for straight on shots. Maybe I had a minor stroke and don't realize it and am re-educating my motor skills. But I have been flying this sim since 2001 and online for over two years and this is how it seems to me. I hope this helps someone with their gunnery or desert flying, S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz

ASM 1
05-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Nice Post Jumoschwanz - Thanks for the info http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Gunnery info is esp appreciated, I also try and take gunpods where possible, in fact I try not to fly anything without a cannon of some sort *cough*Mustang*cough* because of its .xx Cals*cough* although the Yak and La Machine guns don't suffer from this prob... its a pity cos the otherwise 'Stang is quite a nice "drive" as it were....

Anyways I digress, you were talking about 109 gunnery... do you like the Mk 108 nose cannon? Havent made my mind up yet... only thing that puts me off all of the big cannon planes is a low ROF,(particularly the Yaks and LAs) although 1 hit = 1 kill, at least Vs fighters anyways http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/784.gif

S!

Andrew
http://home.comcast.net/~nate.r/ta152Hns-2.jpg

[This message was edited by ASM 1 on Mon May 24 2004 at 09:27 AM.]

Jumoschwanz
05-24-2004, 10:38 AM
So many times I have had a great deflection shot that would have been good with one twenty mm cannon and devastating with the twenty mm gunpods, and have missed altogether because the opponent flew between the rounds of the single MK108 cannon! This Mk108 is a lot harder to get a hit with on a deflection shot. It is like a single shot gun. It is ok for bombers and from straight behind or with very little deflection, but once deflection is thirty or more degrees a fighter plane can easily fly between the rounds coming at it and do about every other time.

In a 109G with the twenty mm nose and gunpods you have about the firepower of a 190, better handling and visibility, and it puts a lot of rounds into the air nothing is going to fly through. And although I think the twenties are still weak, landing a few of them usually takes some of the wind out of thier sails.

I have hit fighters, this patch, with single mk108 hits and they have flown away. So that is two strikes against the 108 for me as far as dogfighting goes.

Jumoschwanz

geetarman
05-24-2004, 10:52 AM
I was on a desert server too this weekend. Really great. The P-38 was fine as far as overheating went.

The best part about it was that the server was basically FR but with map icons - kinda odd, but cool.

Flying that way was interesting. Reading the current posts about "this planes is over or undermodelled," I was struck on how little that matters on these "cockpit on, no external" servers.

I'm no ace, but I shot down 2 109K's, 2 Franks and a LA-7 without a round hitting me. Why, luck for one. But, also it was clear the opposition pilots were less experienced than me, even though their planes were basically superior to my 38.

Each allowed me to quickly get on their tail and blast away from 200m.

The more I play the full switch servers, the less I read the aircraft whininng posts.